One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-10 21:08:09

Trick

Drawing the line

There are some things that are just not 'a joke' and should not be considered acceptable, like... ever.

These things include the Holocaust, rape, and racism or bigotry of any kind (I am sure there are others I am not thinking of right now).

I literally never kill anyone in this game because I don't think that's fun for others.  But if you start saying shit like "Seig Heil" and naming your children Hitler, you deserve it 100%, IMO.

I think we, as a community, need to collectively draw the line and not tolerate this shit.  It makes the game hostile and nasty when that is not the point.   I also highly doubt that that was Jason's intent for the game.

Can we please band together and prevent this from happening?

#2 2018-06-10 21:24:03

West

Re: Drawing the line

I just saw some guy kill all black people... What the hell dude, your family was founded by a black woman, how you feel about that...

So yeah I agree with you, we should not tolerate that kind of behaviour.

Mostly playing as Eve West - hope to meet you one day!
Longest lineages: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=113651 "Killed by Marked Grave with Chisel"
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=849569

#3 2018-06-10 21:30:05

YAHG

No

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#4 2018-06-10 21:30:34

Trick

West wrote:

I just saw some guy kill all black people... What the hell dude, your family was founded by a black woman, how you feel about that...

So yeah I agree with you, we should not tolerate that kind of behaviour.

I've seen it a few times, and I wonder if it's the same person, or if we have a number of racist assholes playing.

Jason, I think you should consider a TOS or something, and include this in it.  These people shouldn't be permitted to play if they are going to do shit like this.  Personally, I am entirely zero tolerance on it, even if "it's just a game" or "just roleplaying" (which is, IMO, a really lame excuse for horrible behaviour).

#5 2018-06-10 21:41:37

YAHG

Why do you have to control what other people think or say?

Why does it bother you so much if someone says sieg hiel?
If they don't care about the holocaust?
If they think black people are more violent, more criminal etc.?

Who are you that the rest of us should be subject to your sensibilities?

If you want to kill the guy in the game that offends you in the game. Go for it.

Trying to silence people reeks of insecurity.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#6 2018-06-10 21:44:20

Trick

YAHG wrote:

Why do you have to control what other people think or say?

Why does it bother you so much if someone says sieg hiel?
If they don't care about the holocaust?
If they think black people are more violent, more criminal etc.?

Who are you that the rest of us should be subject to your sensibilities?

If you want to kill the guy in the game that offends you in the game. Go for it.

Trying to silence people reeks of insecurity.

Wow.

#7 2018-06-10 21:56:10

sc0rp

Trick wrote:

There are some things that are just not 'a joke' and should not be considered acceptable, like... ever.

These things include the Holocaust, rape, and racism or bigotry of any kind (I am sure there are others I am not thinking of right now).

I literally never kill anyone in this game because I don't think that's fun for others.  But if you start saying shit like "Seig Heil" and naming your children Hitler, you deserve it 100%, IMO.

Killing people - good.  Calling somone N* - bad.  Love the logic.

Not that I disagree with - I'm doing the same.  But that's because they are assholes and it's likely they are griefers as well.  So dispatching them as quickly as possible is a good thing.

Trick wrote:

I think we, as a community, need to collectively draw the line and not tolerate this shit.  It makes the game hostile and nasty when that is not the point.   I also highly doubt that that was Jason's intent for the game.

Can we please band together and prevent this from happening?

Already doing that, maybe for slightly different reasons.  I think joking about "Holocaust, rape, and racism or bigotry" is totally fine (I love e.g. George Carlin, who was very good comedian and very politically incorrect at the same time).  But I hate pure assholeness.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-10 21:56:52)

#8 2018-06-10 21:56:29

Lotus

I agree that this is terrible. I wish things like this didn’t occur and ruin the experience, but unfortunately we can’t do anything about it. We just have to choose to ignore it until something can be done.

#9 2018-06-10 21:57:00

YAHG

Perhaps there can be a little file you can put into your installation folder with one word per line.

eg:

nigger
hitler
rape
holocaust
pomegranate

Then if those words are typed the local client would change them to !@#$%^&*( etc.
People can then decide that they do not want to hear certain things. They can put the file up on
github etc. and do merge requests and such so that they can have their safe space without
imposing it on other people..

#10 2018-06-10 21:58:41

Glassius

Trick, was that you, who killed a racist man and then 2 toddlers? You deserved that arrow in chest very much!

Why you ever bother about censorship. Just kill a guy, he is showing attitude. It is the best way to detect griefing asshole: they show themselves up without asking smile

Last edited by Glassius (2018-06-10 22:00:00)

#11 2018-06-10 22:00:02

Lotus

To completely close off “censored” messages from sending would be nice.

I’m not personally offended by it, but I know a lot of people are. I don’t fall into any of the “segregated” categories but it’s still something that should be addressed rather than tolerated.

#12 2018-06-10 22:00:07

Trick

YAHG wrote:

Perhaps there can be a little file you can put into your installation folder with one word per line.

eg:

nigger
hitler
rape
holocaust
pomegranate

Then if those words are typed the local client would change them to !@#$%^&*( etc.
People can then decide that they do not want to hear certain things. They can put the file up on
github etc. and do merge requests and such so that they can have their safe space without
imposing it on other people..

This isn't about "safe spaces", this is about not wanting to play with trash people.

If you are a racist/bigoted asshole, leave it in your personal life.  Don't bring it to a game that people are playing *for fun*.

#13 2018-06-10 22:01:23

Trick

Glassius wrote:

Trick, was that you, who killed a racist man and then 2 toddlers? You deserved that arrow in chest very much!

Why you ever bother about censorship. Just kill a guy, he is showing attitude. It is the best way to detect griefing asshole: they show themselves up without asking smile

I killed a racist woman and her kid.  So, wrong person.

What I am asking is that we, as a community, work together to discourage this shitty behaviour (if Jason is just going to let it happen).

#14 2018-06-10 22:02:48

YAHG

If you  want to tell me what to think and do. Please understand that I will resent you trying to control me and impost your views on me.

I am not you, I do not need to be you. You have that covered already.

It is about you wanting to limit what other people can say because you don't want to hear it.

Why not just limit what you can hear instead? Let people talk.

#15 2018-06-10 22:03:03

Lotus

Unfortunately, trolls often thrive on discouraged activities.

#16 2018-06-10 22:07:29

Trick

YAHG wrote:

If you  want to tell me what to think and do. Please understand that I will resent you trying to control me and impost your views on me.

I am not you, I do not need to be you. You have that covered already.

It is about you wanting to limit what other people can say because you don't want to hear it.

Why not just limit what you can hear instead? Let people talk.

I am not telling anyone want to think or do.  You can be a racist fuckwit all you want.  But when you bring it to a game that people are playing for fun, you're ruining the game for others by making it a hostile place.  Your 'freedom of expression' shouldn't impede on other people's 'freedom of enjoyment or safety'.

Those advocating for the protection of speech and actions that have literally caused the murders of millions of real-world people are trash.

#17 2018-06-10 22:13:05

sc0rp

Glassius wrote:

+1
Love when they do that. You can deal with them before they start killing.

#18 2018-06-10 22:13:49

YAHG

There is a difference between speaking and acting.

Stopping people from acting is different from stopping people from speaking.
Lots of games have filters that people can turn on or off if they want to not hear certain things.
I always turn them off, I would rather hear what they have to say.

Why can't it be a way that allows us racist people to play too. Why is it your game and not mine?

If what has been shown to me with data and experience to be true offends other people why should I silence myself for their sake?

I am trying reasonably hard not to insult you and be kind instead.

#19 2018-06-10 22:14:57

Glassius

Trick wrote:

But when you bring it to a game that people are playing for fun, you're ruining the game for others by making it a hostile place.

So u killed toddler because of its parent? You deserved this arrow. Maybe this was only one kid killed by you, but it was one too much. Watching u dying was very satisfactory.

#20 2018-06-10 22:20:17

Trick

YAHG wrote:

There is a difference between speaking and acting.

Stopping people from acting is different from stopping people from speaking.
Lots of games have filters that people can turn on or off if they want to not hear certain things.
I always turn them off, I would rather hear what they have to say.

Why can't it be a way that allows us racist people to play too. Why is it your game and not mine?

If what has been shown to me with data and experience to be true offends other people why should I silence myself for their sake?

I am trying reasonably hard not to insult you and be kind instead.

So, you feel you have to take your trash opinions and play them out in an online game intended for fun?  You can't leave your racism out of the game for the sake of not making the game hostile and shitty?  Your commitment to your trash ideas has to transcend the real-world, and you feel the need to make other people feel bad because of it?

And you called me insecure?

It's a fucking game which, by definition, is supposed to be fun.  Leave your trash and baggage out of the game.

#21 2018-06-10 22:23:29

TrustyWay

Politicaly correctness is fascism disguise in fake manner.

It was kinda nazi what you did, killing people you don't like. I was hitler and I choose my name when she asked me what would it be. I was sure you wanted to stab someone when you came so I ditch on my innocent mother that just name me a stupid name for the fun. You stab her without trying to talk, then me trying to talk to you.

You just acted like a child killing everyone that hadn't your joke taste and complaining on forum about it.

You don't know me, you don't know if my family had problems with nazi, you don't know if I am jewish or not. I live in places where they came and destroyed lands. I am sure I am well more concerned by this issue than you.

Just leave people alone instead of killing everyone that wasn't as narrow minded as you and crying.

Where I live you would be the nazi

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-06-10 22:28:21)

#22 2018-06-10 22:25:28

Trick

Glassius wrote:
Trick wrote:

But when you bring it to a game that people are playing for fun, you're ruining the game for others by making it a hostile place.

So u killed toddler because of its parent? You deserved this arrow. Maybe this was only one kid killed by you, but it was one too much. Watching u dying was very satisfactory.

You're talking about a different case.

I killed the toddler because he asked to be named Hitler, and said "it was a joke".  His mother was going around saying "Sieg Heil". 

That's going to be my response to all the trash in this game.  You want to be trash, I will put you on the curb where you belong.  If you don't like that response, then don't be trash to start with.

Funny how trash people want to have the 'right' to be trash, but when people exercise their 'right' not to tolerate it, they cry.

#23 2018-06-10 22:27:46

Trick

TrustyWay wrote:

Politicaly correctness is fascism disguise in fake manner.

It was kinda nazi what you did, killing people you don't like. I was hitler and I choose my name when she asked me what would it be. I was sure you wanted to stab someone when you came so I ditch on my innocent mother that just name me a stupid name for the fun. You stab her without trying to talk, then me trying to talk to you.

You just acted like a child killing everyone that hadn't your joke taste and complaining on forum about it.

You don't know me, you don't know if my family had problems with nazi, you don't know if I am jewish or not. I live in places where they came and destroyed lands. I am sure I am well more concerned by this issue than you.

Just leave people alone instead of killing everyone that wasn't as narrow minded as you.

The Holocaust isn't/wasn't a joke, and it never will be.

#24 2018-06-10 22:30:02

YAHG

Or you could leave your trash and baggage out of the forum?
Or it can just go on and on in circles about who is the idiot and who is the good guy.
Or you could not answer any of my questions and act like I am just ill intentioned.
It is just disappointing from my end.
This whole game is just speech, it is just lights on your screen and sounds from your speakers. The forum is the same.
You wanna kill the guy in the game, no problem.
Then again what is the point, you don't actually seem to want to talk with me.
You seem only interested in telling me I am bad and should just go away.

On my side of the screen I am getting all emotional and flustered. Is it the same for anyone else on their side of the monitor?

I don't want to be afraid to talk to try to avoid bans and stuff. I am listening to the 'other' side and even try to help them get what they want without imposing on me.

Why instead of listening does it have to be insults and moral bullying?

#25 2018-06-10 22:33:42

Trick

YAHG wrote:

Or you could leave your trash and baggage out of the forum?
Or it can just go on and on in circles about who is the idiot and who is the good guy.
Or you could not answer any of my questions and act like I am just ill intentioned.
It is just disappointing from my end.
This whole game is just speech, it is just lights on your screen and sounds from your speakers. The forum is the same.
You wanna kill the guy in the game, no problem.
Then again what is the point, you don't actually seem to want to talk with me.
You seem only interested in telling me I am bad and should just go away.

On my side of the screen I am getting all emotional and flustered. Is it the same for anyone else on their side of the monitor?

I don't want to be afraid to talk to try to avoid bans and stuff. I am listening to the 'other' side and even try to help them get what they want without imposing on me.

Why instead of listening does it have to be insults and moral bullying?

You literally admitted to being racist, and now you're upset about "insults and moral bullying"?

The fucking irony.  I just... can't.

Board footer