One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-09 07:35:00

LHO

So what are the best foods now?

I've been in a few small towns sonce the update, people are experiming with all new stuff and starving to death.

I know that potatoes are bad early on because you need the shovel. But are they good in bigger towns?

Beans feel like a hybrid of corn and carrots, They seed like carrots but you eat them like popcorn. It's easier then popcorn but a single corn would produce more popcorn. But I think the beans grow faster then corn.

I have no clue about cabbage yet but it can't be eaten raw.

Stew seems good I made a pot in one of my lives. It might be a good incentive not to just monocrop since you can combine different crops for one big pot of stew. But once your done it won't let me use the empty pot again, It's just stuck laying there. Is it a bug or some kind of cool down?

Last edited by LHO (2018-06-09 07:47:30)

#2 2018-06-09 07:52:36

Rebel

Re: So what are the best foods now?

Well corn, squash and beans are used to make the stew. cabbage is think is the highest tech requiring three blades, boards, pot and a mallet to make a stomper (and salt). Green beans are pretty good early game, just requiring a bowl. baked potatoes are cool take effect to regrow have sprout them in a bowl, requires more dirt tho.

and there does not seem to be a recipe to reuse the pot.

i lived off rabbits for a while, gives alot of food plus the added fur helps.

Last edited by Rebel (2018-06-09 08:06:53)

#3 2018-06-09 09:04:44

Rebel

So just played a bit, sauerkraut is best, not early game tho.

potatoes are a good shout, shovels are easy to make.

if no shovel in sight, carrots and beans.

Last edited by Rebel (2018-06-09 09:43:15)

#4 2018-06-09 09:54:41

Tarr
Banned

Sauerkraut is great if you have frozen ponds nearby.

Green beans - Alright basic food if you're about saving space. (Popcorn fills this niche better and as of right now stew makes the crock unusable after.)
I'd skip them unless you really really want stew.

Potato - Worth growing if you have the shovel nearby and someone working the oven for pies/mutton/whatever. Worth six each bite and is a two bite food. Downside is requiring two soil but right now this isn't an issue.

Squash - Into the trash can tier. Unless you're making stew this isn't something you grow. Do yourself a favor and squash your dreams and move onto sauerkraut master race.

Cabbage - Makes the sauerkraut our heart desires. Don't grow it until you've gotten all the tools ready to make yourself a big batch of kraut otherwise you're gonna have blue balls waiting around to be made great.

If you're traveling around your best choices are going to be pies and baked potatoes, old and young should be munching on berries or popcorn (skip those green beans.) Working adults should be eating kraut/stew (more like eww.) But hey, that's at least what I think.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2018-06-09 10:30:29

LHO

So it's all pretty high tech besides the beans, Seems like we should just stick with the old crops early on and later move on to cabbage and potatoes.

#6 2018-06-09 11:30:22

Morti

The new food.

Also, bowl of gooseberries can now be eaten.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Bowl of gooseberries now filled one berry at a time up to 6 berries. Can only participate in other recipes if full, but can be eaten from one berry at a time. Thus, a bowl can be gathered from more than one bush, and from partially-full bushes. Picking a few berries from a bush to eat is no longer a sin, as a whole, full bush is no longer needed to get a bowl of berries.

Worth noting for travel & placing snacks around where people work.

Board footer