a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-03 19:31:57

Twinsen

How many Milkweed Stake does it take?

Let's start with the basic that can be found in the wiki:
2 milkweed stake > 1 thread
4 milkweed stake > 2 thread > 1 rope

So here's how many milkweed stake we would need so that a settlement can (hopefully) survive. Please note that I am not including other ingredients in the information below because this is just a breakdown for milkweed stake.

During the 1st stage:

4 milkweed stake > 2 thread > 1 rope > bow drill bow
4 milkweed stake > 2 thread > 1 rope > stone hatchet

Now, for the 2nd stage, if the settlement do not mind carrying water one bowl at a time for irrigation, then, the settlement would only need the above 8 milkweed stakes to start farming. Frankly, those precious threads are better used for clothing at this stage.

Then for the 3rd stage, if the settlement prefer carrying a basket of 3 empty water pouches to get water instead, here are the extra stakes needed:

4 milkweed stake > 2 thread > 1 rope > snare
6 milkweed stake > 3 thread > 3 empty water pouch

I cannot comment whether if 8 WILD milkweeds is reasonable or not to begin a survivable settlement but I think at least the outcome is contributed by either teamwork or a lucky solo-survivor.

#2 2018-03-03 20:38:56

Uncle Gus

Re: How many Milkweed Stake does it take?

You basically need renewable milkweed. If you're talking about how much is needed to found a new colony, take seeds instead.

#3 2018-03-03 22:18:19

Doctor Flintrock

Another alternative is making adobe ovens to fire clay bowls. But this part is even more multistep and involved and ultimately not ideal for carrying enough water in single trip.

I've noticed that certain players have realized that keeping water pouches organized in baskets makes survival much easier if they are carrot/berry farmers.

In general there seems to be a drive towards specialized work assignment and apprenticeship.

(In this sense, people who are playing OneHOL now are getting a unique experience that probably won't be around in a few weeks' time.)

Last edited by Doctor Flintrock (2018-03-03 22:19:39)

#4 2018-03-03 22:28:51

Tebe

I would put a snare immediately on stage 2 if there isn't one available already. After the bow drill and hatchet, a snare is necessary to bring the furs to make absolutely everything else.

As for pouches vs clothing, that's tricky. a basket of pouches makes for very efficient farming. But clothed babies make happy mamas!

I'm still not sure what a good milkweed farm looks like, Fertile soil is precious, and those milkweeds take so so long to grow from stumps...

#5 2018-03-04 02:07:27

TyrantNomad

It's actually not hard to find 8 milkweed in virgin lands - the problem is that most people are not settling in fresh lands and instead continue to try to explore the same lands as before after killing them.

#6 2018-03-04 04:25:17

Twinsen

TyrantNomad wrote:

...the problem is that most people are not settling in fresh lands and instead continue to try to explore the same lands as before after killing them.

This is where 3rd stage becomes a stalemate because you can hardly find milkweed seed around because people just touch those unfruited wild milkweed for fun.

Last edited by Twinsen (2018-03-04 04:26:30)

#7 2018-03-04 04:27:50

Twinsen

Uncle Gus wrote:

You basically need renewable milkweed. If you're talking about how much is needed to found a new colony, take seeds instead.

But once again, you are stuck with getting those 8 wild milkweed because you still need a bowl to carry water.

Board footer