One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-06-03 03:17:42

Alleria

Re: Goodbye wells near the baker, berry/wheat/milkweed farms.

Morti wrote:

Through your actions here on the forum, through your posts, we can see who the guilty parties are. Unless you go back and edit all your posts that are evidence of your transgressions and try to hide outside the community like the murderers you are, you will not be welcomed by me, or others yet to come. You want to abandon children, you want to turn kind and loving people away from the game, I can't stop you. I can only try to reason with you. But it's so hard to even address you, I am so disgusted by your flippant disregard for human life.

Only Sith deal in absolutes.

I'd never dream of demeaning those Irish mothers who were forced by terrible circumstance to kill a child in order to save the whole family. Yes, I also sometimes kill my children, but never with a light heart and only if it's strictly necessary. I can't recall a time where I've ever aborted a child pleading for life - we both know you can't say the same.

Last edited by Alleria (2018-06-03 03:22:49)

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#27 2018-06-03 03:36:55

Morti

Alleria wrote:

You weren't pleading for you life, you admitted you were guilty of murder of countless children and asking for forgiveness, and I gave it to you by clearing your conscience and allowing you to rest, that life.

Don't do it again.

We both know all the things you are guilty of, here on the forums and in game, as you are so proud to try and tell people who you are outside of game, asking for special treatment not just in childhood, but on through your adult life.

Your actions are a sickness, don't make me waste time curing them repeatedly.

The few good things you've contributed to this community can hardly make up for all the people you have turned away from it.

Apologize to those who will never be born again and I may sincerely forgive you.

#28 2018-06-03 04:46:46

Alleria

Morti wrote:

Apologize to those who will never be born again and I may sincerely forgive you.

I humbly apologise, Lord Morti. I hope you will take me back into your flock.

Your arguments here are lacking logic. Saying who I am, or that I use the forums is not asking for special treatment, nor is it an admission that I murder countless children. I give my children the best possible lives and experiences - sometimes in order to do that, you can't keep every child. I say I'm a Q so people can ask for help, and/or know that they don't need to worry about me (or the fate of the lineage). There's nothing more relieving than having your only girl say "Q". I'll say who I am at the end of a life (or in an argument about meta) so I can identify who I've played with. I've had countless people both here and in the Discord identify themselves to me, and often we'll discuss the lives we just had. We disagree with what this game is about, and how to give the best experiences, but nonetheless we both want what's best for the game and community. I, along with many people, would rather be aborted within 30 seconds of a life, rather be strung along for a life in an overpopulated civ that's collapsing due to irresponsible parents.

Last edited by Alleria (2018-06-03 04:49:17)

#29 2018-06-03 06:01:55

Morti

Alleria wrote:

...you can't keep every child.

You, can't keep every child, because you don't try, ever.

I, on the other hand, have managed to do so more times than excuses you've made for not trying.

#30 2018-06-03 06:26:11

YAHG

Meh, fuck the posturing. It doesn't matter if you did not do perfect, you can't re-decide the past.

People who have decided they don't wanna play anymore because they are abandoned are gone. We are
not likely to get them back. Wearing hair-shirts and castigating each other is unlikely to open a magic time
portal and shit.

Holier than thou is not a good leadership strategy </3. It is good to look out for other peeps in game and irl
if you can do it without fucking yourself over. I can't speak for any of you fuckers, but I sure as shit ain't no
second coming. At least not in the biblical sense.

If we can try to not be evil little shits, we will be jusssst fine..

The pissing contests over who saved the most babies and who is the best mother degrades us all and cheapens
our actions. Virtue for the sake of pride is tainted. Something about the Pharisees..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#31 2018-06-03 06:54:45

Morti

Alleria wrote:

The rest of your excuses are as garbage as your gameplay.

If I can do it, you can do it.

Spend more time practicing and less time making excuses and maybe, one day, you will understand.

Making excuses for not trying, is setting the bar low so you can easily get over it.
It's an artificial victory. You're trying to make last place feel as good as first, and you know it's not, that is why you are so riddled with contempt. You know people hate you and you have to live on the edge, every life, murdering people who are honest to you about how disgusting you are rather than looking deep inside yourself and seeing what they see without a second glance.

It's disgusting and you should be disgusted by it and vow, not to me, but to yourself, that you will be a better person.

Then maybe you can feel comfortable enough around us that you don't always have to make weapons and hide them, in fear that someone should see fit to remove you from the family just to make things better for us all.

Stop hating me for trying to help you and everyone else. Hate the behavior you've let yourself fall prey to, and you, and everyone, will be better for it, when it is cast out of your routine.

It takes time, but most of all, it takes effort.

Sometimes it's too late to save a village entirely, but it's never too late to be a better player.

Alleviate the suffering, take on more children, and when you are good enough, and you have taught enough other people, we will all live more productive lives, longer and less stressful lives, because the children you and the others would have abandoned, are being cared for, and are caring for others.

Argue for my side, should any ever try to defend such behavior.

Be a champion for life, and together, we can rise this community up from the embers. Carry on, turning player after player away, and it will be ashes in the winds of our past.

We've had great lives together, don't forget those.

We can have them again, and we can share them with everyone. The more people get to play with us, the more inspired they will be. The more fuel we can put in their engines and the farther they will travel to spread the boundaries of our towns yet to come. They need that motivation though, they need values; a purpose, to go farther than they've ever gone before. To make the greatest city ever known, is going to take generation after generation of determination that will not cease burning for any reason. We will only get that if you commit, and one by one, others will follow suit.

Together, we can raise the bar for everyone. All our children will know, the moment they are born, that they are welcome, and that they are needed. There will be no doubt when they see our works, that they must continue to put great effort, into the continued growth of the greatest family tree the public has ever known. We must commit to this goal together, men, and women; sons and daughters. Driven together, by the love of our entire family and it's conquest, over the horizon.

#32 2018-06-03 07:07:03

Hstrike

mikekchar wrote:

Hey Morti.  First off although I didn't get to the end of your first long message (and I only skimmed the replies), I read enough to say that I completely agree with what you are saying.

Having said that, I'm not sure if you'll appreciate life advice from an older-than-average player here, but I'll give it a go :-)  Seriously feel free to disregard every word I say knowing that it won't hurt my feelings.

Life is full of drama.  There are people who feed on this drama.  It's entertaining, intoxicating and addictive.  I'm not one of these people so I can't say for sure,  but I think it's a thing that some people can't live without.  Even in games -- for some people, especially in games -- there is a need to introduce this drama.  A game of raising children, running back and forth to get water, and organising the layout of seeds is... well... boring.  Like I said, that's not me.  I'm old.  As soon as I finish typing this, I'm going to walk to the nearby town (30 minutes away), buy some milk and then I'm going to spend the rest of the day making cheese (which is code for hanging around, staring at a pot, occasionally stirring it).

Especially when people are young, the lure of drama is extremely attractive.  What kind of emotions can emerge?  What kind of excitement will bubble up out of nothing?  Better than arranging digital seeds in monotonous rows, or staring at a pot and thinking, "Wow, that's white.  Why is milk so white?"

People wonder why griefing happens, or why people want to inject emotion, fear, and violence into a game.  They want that drama.  They *need* that drama.  They feel that the game is no good without that drama.

I don't like drama.  I don't like reading this forum very much.  It's full of drama and people who seek drama.  I occasionally pop my head in to see where things are going and try not to get too involved.  I try to remember that not everybody is the same.   The world is like a stream with fast moving sections and still sections.  I try to find an eddy which is out of the way of the tangled hostility of the current and enjoy my life.

It's easy to get drawn into that current.  Once you put a foot in, it's hard to take it out again.  You feel your blood rush.  You feel your emotions rising.  You feel the excitement that the people who seek drama are looking for.  But if you don't like it, you should probably learn how to walk away; atune your senses for the still, deep water and seek it out.  It requires more strength to wait that it does to act, but in exchange you can focus your energy on things of your own choosing (cheese... definitely cheese).

I hope some of that makes sense and that it helps you out.  If not, then like I said, completely disregard it :-)

This made me think.
And therefore, this qualifies as a great read.

I agree with your philosophy and, for the most part, woth Morti's. Thanks for typing it out, mikekchar.

#33 2018-06-03 07:46:03

pein

a bucket is like an old well
wells didnt made sense as players placed right next to farm, leaving no empty tile for baskets, often making a wall which had no purpose but was blocking movement, and they went dry fast

with the wells refill, cistern had no purpose

now cisterns hold 90 water which is enough for a small family for a while, and you refill with a cart of buckets in two runs 80/90

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#34 2018-06-03 08:06:31

Alleria

I'm personally done with the moralfaggotry and sermonising. I don't feel any guilt for how I play the game, nor do I hate, or feel hated by anyone here - I have weapons so I can protect my civs from griefers, which I need to do frequently. You evidently don't know how I play or think, and your presumptuousness is tiring. I have had great lives, and lived in great civs this week, even if you weren't around to provide them for me wink I haven't aborted anyone in a long time, but will do so if necessary. I'll also continue saying "Q" to help other players, and make it easier for you to abort me, just remember I'll be crying "moooooooom" the entire time.

I'd love to see one of your recordings of you birthing 14 children or so and giving them ALL a quality life (I actually have, but the civ soon died completely from famine, which was nearly entirely my fault). Fortunately, we're all having fewer children now, and are therefore able to give them better lives.

Reckless reproduction DOES NOT advance civilisation - it sends us backwards. You of all people should know that by now.

@Pein, Players use between 4-24 water in a lifetime, average being around 16. A full cistern should last a small family a full hour, longer if they live around a desert.

Last edited by Alleria (2018-06-03 08:10:58)

#35 2018-06-03 08:13:28

kubassa
Banned

Alleria wrote:

I'm personally done with the moralfaggotry and sermonising. I don't feel any guilt for how I play the game, nor do I hate, or feel hated by anyone here - I have weapons so I can protect my civs from griefers, which I need to do frequently. You evidently don't know how I play or think, and your presumptuousness is tiring. I have had great lives, and lived in great civs this week, even if you weren't around to provide them for me wink I haven't aborted anyone in a long time, but will do so if necessary. I'll also continue saying "Q" to help other players, and make it easier for you to abort me, just remember I'll be crying "moooooooom" the entire time.

I'd love to see one of your recordings of you birthing 14 children or so and giving them ALL a quality life (I actually have, but the civ soon died completely from famine, which was nearly entirely my fault). Fortunately, we're all having fewer children now, and are therefore able to give them better lives.

Reckless reproduction DOES NOT advance civilisation - it sends us backwards. You of all people should know that by now.

@Pein, Players use between 4-24 water in a lifetime, average being around 16. A full cistern should last a small family a full hour, longer if they live around a desert.

Words from a true BETA.

I got huge ballz.

#36 2018-06-03 08:24:07

Alleria

kubassa wrote:

Words from a true BETA.

Thanks, friend!

#37 2018-06-03 09:50:09

pein

there are not babies, there are embryos, it entirely upon you, if i would be an option, "do you want to spawn a baby?" my answer would be no all the time until being ready
my philosophy is i raise them providing a good life or not at all

can i give them a pack or some clothes? no, then i dont bother much
maybe i toss them to fire or desert tile where a mother is, does she feed her? i dont care
if you are smart you need to be fed 3 times only, i even seen babies survive with two feeding
if you have baby and dotn farm, at least ask someone that if you should keep it
maybe someone is forging but you eat all the food he could eat, and you will have no tools, maybe your kid reaches age 15, that 15 years come from somewhere, from all other players life
also is not your kid, is not a kid, its a player, if you consider that you deserve  a carrot for the work you made, and share your furs, food, everything, than every kid is yours as well, and keeping alive a kid is everybody else business too
kidnappers do a favor, taking noob kids away
you dont have genetics, you dont have nothing to do with them, so you should consider skill before relation

actually i still overextend keeping first kid or some who are smart, but before having ways to move water, you cant have a family bigger than 4, before basic tools even less, before axe you shouldnt have more than 8 people, before shovel more than 12, etc.
4 generation just carrot farms, role plays and steals your stuff to make some stupid thing which doesnt advance civilization
pies before sheep, roads before forging all tools, stone room with the chisel you made before having a file! seen it all happen

any philosophy is just an opinion
talk all you want but raising a baby you wont do shit, you exceed the amount you provide, you exceed the amount others provide, you are just a griefer
yes, i prefer death as baby over death as a 10 year old kid who find empty berry bushes all directions

you all preach about keeping daughters, i see the death of civilization in 4th little girl, they cant coordinate, they cant provide and they cant stop baby spawn, tried fight it once yesterday, i brought food for a noob mom, she died anyway, the other one raised 5 kids, while couldnt raise one before me
even so, building a noob camp and asking a kid to get food is biggest asshole thing
he as a baby eats one by the time it can reach camp, then he goes again, while you make babies who eat the closest bush, then when you get a daughter, she dies cause no food nearby
second biggest is settle whatever and ask kid to water your noob farm in cold biome, with the one single bowl  you made, once i even was named Water, i didnt even touch a single bowl the whole game, let them run their noob farm, i dont need it

starving my baby is my decision, killing my baby is my decision, people shouldnt be so anal about it
once a girl stole 2 kids cause i didnt wanted to raise, she would have some on its own later, as my sis had like 14 kids, 3 daughters all soon started popping, and we were doomed, they didnt even care about pop control, when was no lineage ban and holding off a baby 3 minutes would have made all difference
my son died anyway my daughter was carrot farming naked all her life, is this the life you want?

or i seen little girl who fed me carrot to keep me alive, died anyway to famine, then when i was her baby abandoning me without question (before lineage ban)

yes i even starve babies after i originally wanting to keep if they do not listen, had griefers and killers most of times from this babies or just nabs who live 5 min and die, they want to manipulate you, they move to see stuff and they dont listen to you, you keep them alive anyway, right?
no! i warn you twice and thats it, and this is generous, first is a mistake, second is sign of intention or no attention, would they get me any resource if they cant even stay put on a warm tile as a kid? not really

there are a lot of assholes, and it didnt matter your optimistic view, some will never be like you, will never farm, will never provide for others, will never care, starts a new game and trolls her next mom to run after her, forgets that you tried teaching or tried cooperating
its a roleplay every time, i might be a bad guy, i might be a killer, i might be a dictator, i might be a sweet mom, a sweet dad
forcing opinions on other players sux, forcing facts might suck also
being a lazyass baby machine who only cares about "giving all embryos a chance" is griefing

i tried killing without reason and its pointless (went to work, was my last game, i been killed that day few times with no reason, so just for the sake of it i did it to others), i killed for punishing mistakes, birth control or language, and i know is subjective but its mostly fair if i give warnings, they gonna hate you and cowardly try to kill you anyway
best to grief them just a bit, like move farm and water it, did it accidentally once and all noobs died, and turned into a great run

or just make a new camp bit further and let everybody die naturally, while you borrow some stuff and make a good setup you can use alone or with a small family

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#38 2018-06-03 09:51:35

Morti

Alleria wrote:

You were an exceptional brother (I was Betty)! Thanks for bringing me all those things while I forged with my daughters. That was the most efficient life I've ever had, and I think we both chose a really good spot together. I hope the family lives long enough for us to respawn. Wolvenscar was Elaria, and I'm quite sure the other children were either on the forums or Discord.

Although I kept every child who wanted to be there (some ran off, or didn't listen), I still weight females above males, at least early on. If more children were staying alive, but weren't pulling their weight, I would have had to abort, but EVERYONE who made it to childhood was top 10% or so.

Edit: Also, I'm assuming you're the Sol Eve. Congrats on Eveing the 1st or 2nd longest generation public dynasty. I think the longest is around 70, but never got confirmation. I think you beat it. Hop into Discord if you want to discuss anything with us.

You are so close to understanding.

Why won't you just trust me?

Get out of that echo chamber that is the Discord for one day and just listen to me and try. Then when you see the light, you can go back there and talk with those people and maybe convince one of them yourself to take up this challenge with me.

I won't give up on you.

#39 2018-06-03 10:39:26

Stankysteve

So many people bringing up so many good points!

While abandoning and killing children makes me feel awful, I lack Morti's hard convicted dedication to raising all, but I try my best! But the fear of starving, and starving my children becomes more and more real as they keep popping out and I have to stop explaining whatever I was to the last one. It creates an internal drama and anxiety for me. I get very anxious as my productivity inversely drops against my rising need need for calories, now and for growing children later. It detracts from my efficiency badly. Sometimes the stress becomes too much, and I've said "Ok this run is screwed now". I'm trying to get better with this. Morti seems content to die and prove the point however, which also bothers me too though. I want to give them all a chance. A real chance.

Alleria had a similar experience to the one I shared. We worked together with Morti on separate occasions and were impressed with efficiency. We were both eager to keep up the work after seeing it. We need more exemplary players to inspire exemplary behavior in others. Actions speak louder then words, and sharing words is hard in game sometimes.

you dont have genetics, you dont have nothing to do with them, so you should consider skill before relation

I understand talking and teaching in game can be tough, but no one will ever get better if you only take in those who say stuff like "i", "pro". Therefore the only people will play are those who care to research recipes on their own, and the same few people who have always been around. Player population will stagnate and decline. Actions speak louder then words. Just keep them warm and continue to work hard and fast in view of them. Give them a name, and maybe a quick tour, and let them watch you work magic quickly so they have a standard set for them to meet early. It worked for me, it (maybe?) worked for Alleria.

I don't like drama.  I don't like reading this forum very much.  It's full of drama and people who seek drama.  I occasionally pop my head in to see where things are going and try not to get too involved.  I try to remember that not everybody is the same.   The world is like a stream with fast moving sections and still sections.  I try to find an eddy which is out of the way of the tangled hostility of the current and enjoy my life.

. Hello kindred spirit!

#40 2018-06-03 12:49:29

pein

i dont raise all, i make sure three to four reaches older age, just now me and my son and one guy survived famine, why? cause i told the emergency plan, its simple math, sometimes somebody fucks it up and we have a famine, you need to know a place to get food

also simple math as eve or low tech you need girls only as wild food doesnt cut for everyone
also simple math that later tech level, you need max 3 fertile woman, rest is just waste
i keep all kids in a town with sheep, compost and some clothing for all, they still die but at least they see it
if you got no tools or sheep then others can make plenty of babies, name them they might be good players and find a nanny

philosophies and optimism wont cover every situation, some of my kids will have a lot of fun, some of them forget it quick, just how i like it

#41 2018-06-03 13:45:49

Morti

I say these things here because I do not use discord and I seldom talk much in game.

I want my entire family to be as well off as I can possibly start them, and if it's someone like Alleria, who stands around for ten minutes at a time holding her daughter, eating all the food and standing on the warmest spot in town while not working what so ever; that isn't me. I know it's unproductive (except that having a full health meter and a centered temp meter produces the highest odds that you will pop out children after children), but she doesn't care about that, it gives her a reason to justify not picking up every other girl and every son and asking kids "Do you know the password?" at which time if they say no, she takes them outside of town, drops them in the woods and never picks them up again unless someone guilt trips her into not naming her children, if they manage to run back to town and get someone else to feed them.

This is the behavior she is defending. Denying player after player a chance to experience the game, while they can do nothing to defend themselves except survive to adulthood and maybe find a weapon and murder her. Then she plays the victim when she gets a taste of her own medicine, here on the forums, and, I assume in Discord, while simultaneously making excuses in people's posts who complain about this sort of behavior, saying they can't play the game anymore until something is done about "it". It, being her, almost exclusively based on her proximity of playtime to my own.

lM6gWtl.png

Alleria wrote:

Go into the game with the expectation of dying young and dying often.

Yeah, as long is she is perpetuating her behavior and trying to normalize it. Really disgusting.

The only good thing about her being countered in game and told to fuck off is that rather than standing around the farm or the fire doing this sort of behavior she is starting to take her children off into the wilderness to threaten them with abandonment for fear of being called out or murdered flat out by people she has repeatedly abandoned or lied to, standing near a farm full of unpicked carrots, saying "Sorry bb, not enough food."

This behavior is bullshit and I've been tolerating it for months now, even after I have been proposing solution after solution to the problems she uses as excuses for letting player after player die for lack of effort, overconsumption and neglect of her temp meter.

You will almost never see her working the farm, this is another reason her civilizations suffer so much. She is one of the laziest most self entitled, destructive, players you can ever have in your family. Having put so much time into this game I have perhaps played with her more than anyone else, other than perhaps Telafiesta, who hasn't put any time into the game as of late, and I can't blame him. Her neglect has been allowed to spread throughout the body of players like Stage 4 Cancer, and I'm afraid the damage she has done over the last few months will be irreparable.

But I am not willing to give up on this community like so many others as a result of the attitude and behavior she is trying to make normal.

I have had a few good lives with her, mostly before and after her child rearing phase, where she can actually get a few good things accomplished. But I'm tired of looking the other way when she neglects her children game after game, She puts so little effort into educating new players, instead jumping to accuse them of being griefers when they make mistakes rather than letting them know that their actions may not have been optimal.

It is just an endless parade of reason after reason to either neglect new players or murder them flat out with her and she needs to be addressed directly, as a human being, not as a character in game, for all her appalling behavior towards other players. Especially the newest ones, who are the only hope this game has as experienced player after player leaves rather than confronts her about these issues.

I'm aware that as a person, these things are not her fault. We are creatures of habit, bad or good, we can easily pick up habits and repeat them if we have managed to convince ourselves that these behaviors may lead towards some desired consequence. I have already stated in a previous post that the influx of new players putting excessive stress on the community, is likely what drove players to come up with personal solutions to the problems they saw. And under stress, as a result of frustration, we don't often have the clearest heads or make the best choices.

I have typed up many lengthy posts, far more insulting and wordy than any I have yet posted, only to opt out of sending them after considering the results that they may have on the people I have chosen to address. After having played this game almost exclusively for the last two months, the last thing that I want is to further divide the community that I care for, without question, in game. But it is because I care so much that this now is the issue I feel is most important to address, before things are allowed to get worse.

I want to vast majority of good, caring, players to stay in game. To enjoy the game, to learn the tech tree and to learn how to navigate the landscape in order to find good places to make homes for their families. At least, as long as they enjoy doing so until new players can learn from them and fill in that role until the next generation comes along.

Maybe some of us will stick around for the next year or two, as the '100 items per week' are rolled out. I would certainly love to be one of them. I just wish Jason didn't have to address the problems we are creating for ourselves, like the karma thing - that's just a mess of ideas he shouldn't even had to have considered.

I just want you folks to know that if you play the way I am suggesting that you play, if enough of you do so, things will get better due simply to the mechanics of the game. The less children that are dying, the less stress poor mothers will be experiencing as more babies pop into their lives. There is a time and place for every sort of behavior and, when the game is played right, by everyone in a family, there is absolutely no reason that any mothers should feel pressured enough to not care for their children. Jason has gone to great lengths to balance things out in this game over the years and as long as you stick to doing what is right, and speaking up if his changes truly are too stressful, on that state of our gameplay, then I have little doubt he will tweak things ever so slightly in our favor. Just now that when we do figure things out and we do master the challenges he lays out before us, he is going to make it more challenging once again. And rather than crack under that stress and start turning on each other, we need to accept that challenge and work harder, together, to overcome them.

We're not going to beat Jason by beating each other. We have to take better care of each other, work harder for the sake of our families and inform each other outside of the game when we discover information inside the game that can increase the chance of our success. That is what this forum should be for, for thanking each other and for sharing new discoveries we've made through our own explorations into the mechanics of the game itself, or even, into the code behind the game, which, Jason is so gracious to share.

We can do this.

It's already possible now, and has been, the entire time I've played, to do so without murdering each other and without abandoning; our mothers, or our children. Heck, my strategy works best the more of you don't suicide on me.

One thing I haven't really emphasized yet is that I do not settle on a home too soon, therefore, I am not standing around eating all the nearby food for as long. Many of the people who have been born with me as an Eve have told you that already, and as far as life goes before getting a farm up and running, I think that is one of the vital factors to the success of my families. I very rarely hang around town with any of my children, instead, opting to travel and collect resources, especially if my first few kids give me the indication that they have little to no experience playing the game. That is the saddest part about my playstyle; when I leave a few inexperienced, young, players back at home while carrying two or three kids out with me to pull milkweed, only to return to find someone has died while attempting to learn the game via the in game formulas, as all they were likely doing was picking up object after object, cycling through the menu with tab, and realized, too late, what that sound signified every time their food meter dropped.

I don't say a lot to people in game, and if any of you remembers me being your first mother and not having a positive experience with me, because I did not walk you through enough, step by step, to survive into adulthood, I am sorry. Some of you may think that because of my lack of words, I don't care about you as much as some other mothers that flower you up and treat you as though you were true babies, but it's just the opposite. It's because I care about you so much that I work so hard and say so little.

Which is another reason I find questions like "Do you want to live?" "Are you new?" "Whats the password?" to be wastes of precious time. I don't need to know if you are new or not. I know you want to live if you move with me or stay in my arms, and I certainly don't give a fuck, if you come from the forum, discord, or just watched HoneyBunny and just wanted to play the same game. You're all welcome to have a go at life, in my family. The more the merrier.

Even if all you know is how to pull a stick from a tree and place it in the camp, you're already more valuable to me than some of these players who stand around waiting for babies to say "passwords". You want to say something to me? Just type H for Hello. T Y when I pick you up is nice. You shouldn't have to say that, but because of 'some players' it's understandable why you would. Or TY when I name you.

Anything else is just gravy. Just know my eyes are probably busy scanning all over the place, looking for milkweed or berry bushes that may be placed ever so slightly behind trees and what not, or just me drawing a mental map of every resource I see so that I can come back to those resources if I find a nice warm place to settle down.

A nice, warm place, to call home.

#42 2018-06-03 15:04:12

Alleria

Fuck off dude, you don't know what you're talking about - you're literally just making shit up at this point. I've NEVER fed a baby that I intended to abort (clarification - if they manage to get food then I will at the least give them a name and ensure you're raised to adulthood, but more likely give them a tour or explain the civ), let alone moved them to the wilderness to starve (sub-optimal strat). If you're a baby and you find optimal temp, say "Q", follow me, or manage to get fed once, I WILL raise you - that shows will to live. I also haven't been murdered without my consent in AT LEAST 50 hours, my children usually reciprocate my love. I have optimised my temp and gone afk multiple times, but never for more than a minute (bio break). So what if I waste a berry or 2 in an hour, LOL! I really doubt you contribute more to the development of civilisations than I do (you find great Eve locations), but you wouldn't believe anything I tell you because you've conceived in your head that I'm the boogey-man.

I want people to go into the game with a more accurate expectation so they aren't immediately jaded when it happens - because it will frequently. None of your sermons will ever convince everyone to stop managing population.

I fully admit I do some shitty things in the game, like killing people who aren't contributing or who make the same mistake multiple times, aborting babies if we're at our carrying capacity (NEVER have I fed a baby that was to be aborted, I want it to be as swift as possible, and usually apologise and explain why), and on occasion insulting people when they mess up. However, I usually contribute more and eat less than 95% of other players, all the while contributing to the RP and social aspect of the game. This game is more than just carrot picking, it's about developing culture and civilisation. 

Morti, feel free to insult me, but DO NOT lie about me.

If you've ever been named Elaria or Tiberius, I was your mother - and I hope you had a positive experience. I've also been everyone's son/daughter countless times, and I hope I've made you proud.

tl;dr Morti is a liar seeking a scapegoat for all the problems he perceives with the community. And because I have the third most hours, it must be me.

Edit: You NOT aborting puts a higher pressure on YOUR kids to abort. If everyone kept every child, and no children suicided, then everyone would starve eventually. Your naivety regarding https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrying_capacity is unbelievable. Making the game harder for yourself and your children literally because you're disgusted by abortion in OHOL is baffling. Historically, and in the modern day, people have implemented have practised abortion, and killed babies.

Last edited by Alleria (2018-06-03 15:29:13)

#43 2018-06-03 15:45:14

Potjeh

You're assuming the pop will grow expnentially, but there is only so many players. If everyone kept all babies that'd mean a lot less babies per mother.

#44 2018-06-03 15:55:55

Alleria

Potjeh wrote:

You're assuming the pop will grow expnentially, but there is only so many players. If everyone kept all babies that'd mean a lot less babies per mother.

Right. Exponential growth is only really present when people are suiciding for better spawns. Once there are multiple thriving civs, keeping all babies is a non-issue, and is why it's so easy for the past couple weeks. Now that you only need 1-5 berry bushes per person if they're managed abortions don't need to happen. I know Morti's been in civs that have collapsed due to overpopulation, and I bet a lot of the time he's partly responsible. Abortion is a judgement call left up to the parent and their determination whether the civ has a high enough carrying capacity. For the current meta, there's virtually no reason - especially when a single water run brings back 40 water. Just ONE contributor can feed a civ of more than 20 easily.

Last edited by Alleria (2018-06-03 15:57:25)

#45 2018-06-03 17:27:43

YAHG

I ask them if they want to live to force them to decide..

You can weed a lot of wishy washy trash out of your life if you force them to make a decision earlier in your interactions.

If they say Y then at least they made a verbal commitment to try to live.. If they want to break it that is on their
own conscious not mine. Most people will guilt trip themselves for not living up their principles/promises. It is a
mental pattern of emotion we inherit because it allows a population to more closely follow guidelines than logic can.
The VAST (>80%) majority of humans don't DO hard logic so you gotta work with what you got.

Making people make decisions also makes them accountable. Normally they will know this on a personal level when
you make them do it in front of you. I don't have data for doing statistics on, but it is my perception that this action
on my part leads to more productive children who are more invested in the outcome of the camp.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

Board footer