One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-01 15:50:28

startafight

man made ponds

what if we could dig up dirt (like the way we would dig a pit), line it with stones, and then fill it with water? (lets say two buckets for difficulty). this would solve the complains ppl have about not being able to build wells wherever they want while keeping it balanced

#2 2018-06-01 16:13:13

Stankysteve

Re: man made ponds

Balanced around what, random land generation? What's the point of advancing technology if we're still at the mercy of whatever mother nature did or didn't give us. Or whatever spot Eve picked. Lack of boxes and baskets has already made clutter immense, and now all work stations need to be near whatever ponds we got lucky with, compounding the clutter issue big time. A better solution is indeed needed ASAP. I have no incentive to build a better a society knowing it will never grow beyond the bounds of some crappy swamp. Decaying structures, walls, and boxes were already demotivating enough to build larger societies. This is just the nail in the coffin of "why bother"

Last edited by Stankysteve (2018-06-01 16:16:35)

#3 2018-06-01 16:20:12

YAHG

It would be great if we could put fence kits in the backs of horse carts..

I see people building lil marker roads out to patches of wells. Making runs with carts full of buckets to go get the water.

Self contained little cities are less cool than ones that rely on the environment.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#4 2018-06-01 16:35:37

Stankysteve

All cities rely on the environment purely. Via reeds, and wood among other things. Water is going too far. No one is going to have a marker road to wells and ponds because those ponds will be the center of every camp. And nothing will get bigger then a camp, because people dont want to waste time running water for their whole life. We are not going to see the cities we used to see in this game for a long time, if ever again.

Self contained little cities are less cool than ones that rely on the environment.

I disagree, seeing a city that actually had a building for a bakery, with walls and floors and chests, and wells with cisterns near for backup was amazing. You're nuts if you think that gigantic naked carrot farm abomination in the swamp is a "city."

Last edited by Stankysteve (2018-06-01 16:40:12)

#5 2018-06-01 17:21:50

startafight

perhaps i wasnt clear. i meant making ponds in order to put a well on top of it so we can be near wild food sources but also have a water source conveniently placed. and i meant "balanced" as in "ppl cant dig a million ponds wherever they want b/c the pond creation would be limited based on the amount of rocks and tools available. itll have to be later in the civ's life b/c it requires a shovel, stake, bucket, etc etc. there needs to be a way to put a source of water in middle of a town besides building a civ next to 5 oddly placed ponds

#6 2018-06-01 18:50:22

Lum

Isn't that basically a cistern? A hole you fill with water won't start to fill up on its own, that doesn't make sense.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#7 2018-06-01 19:13:29

sc0rp

Stankysteve wrote:

seeing a city that actually had a building for a bakery, with walls and floors and chests, and wells with cisterns near for backup was amazing. You're nuts if you think that gigantic naked carrot farm abomination in the swamp is a "city."

+1

#8 2018-06-01 19:15:38

sc0rp

Lum wrote:

Isn't that basically a cistern? A hole you fill with water won't start to fill up on its own, that doesn't make sense.

That may be shock for you, but that's how wells are made IRL. You dig a hole and it fills with water on its own. You need to reach water table for it to work, so there are better and worse places to make it.

#9 2018-06-01 21:13:55

YAHG

I seen cool videos of people making wells on youtube etc..

It is surprising how much water they make, like gallons a minute <3

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#10 2018-06-01 23:50:16

Sleeymoon

Every good city should have a person running a cart of water buckets between the wells and the cistern.

Board footer