One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-30 20:47:17

GRose

Don't poke the bear

I don't complain often about griefers. I understand that some set of players are thrilled to destroy what other people enjoy building, and I consider it part of the game. The catch is that in order for there to be things to destroy, those griefers have to allow some things to be built up in the first place. They can't destroy what doesn't exist, so there's an in-built check on it. And I see this as a kind of natural challenge, like animals and resource scarcity, that you can manage and work-around. IOW, it's one of the challenges that makes the game more interesting for me. I like killing a griefer. It maybe the most satisfying element of the game for me. I regard this as "productive griefing" that forces people to get better and smarter at the game.

However, I just got set up as an Eve and was trying to start a farm. It was an unusually good spot with the only drawback being a nearby bear cave. I figure future generations can easily deal with the bear if they have a fine farm, etc. Then my first baby pops out and purposely runs over to the cave, pokes at it until the bear comes out and promptly kills us both.

I don't really see any purpose to this sort of griefing. There's some sort of challenge in screwing up an established town, such that the struggle of it entertains. But this was pointlessly ruining someone's paltry attempt to set anything up. I had nothing worth destroying and this person simply prevented me from playing at all. I call this "preemptive griefing." This is griefing that prevents any game play and this kind of griefing I can't abide. It makes *any play* of the game impossible and is not "all in good fun." It's mean spirited and, if done with any level of frequency, would make the game intolerable.

It seems to me that in the now long time I've been playing that I've seen a gradual but undeniable move from "productive griefing" to "preemptive griefing." If this trend continues, I won't play anymore and I don't see how anyone else will either. I'm less interested in game changes to prevent "productive griefing" and more interested in those that address this.

#2 2018-05-30 20:50:25

YAHG

Re: Don't poke the bear

The self appointed population control experts etc. are full of it.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#3 2018-05-30 20:51:59

GRose

Me and the baby were the only ones there. This wasn't even population control. He suicided and took me with him before there was a population.

#4 2018-05-30 20:55:08

YAHG

I must've missed that the first time through. I will suicide on snakes or bears as abandoned baby as a little personal challenge before I starve. I don't think you can make a game prevent people playing poorly as a way of griefing people.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#5 2018-05-30 21:52:37

hihibanana

It's very likely that the person is a new player and was clicking things that looked interesting.

#6 2018-05-30 22:09:23

Baker

Vengeful infants will do it to get back to mothers who abandon them or they just did for shits and giggles.

There is a little trick for dealing with bears, They can't get you if your standing on an occupied tile. If you ever try to hunt bear you should just stand on a rock or something and shoot it from there. Besides that the only other way to deal with them is to lure them away but that only works for so long.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#7 2018-05-30 23:13:34

GRose

hihibanana wrote:

It's very likely that the person is a new player and was clicking things that looked interesting.

No. This was not the case. I know what that looks like, and I know what this looked like.

#8 2018-05-30 23:14:24

Mr.XIX

Just a quality of life change, change the minimum age to activate the cave from 0 to 5?
Or maybe even 3? Just that few years where babies run off?

I get that it is not very realistic, but it saves so much annoyance.

#9 2018-05-30 23:15:43

GRose

Baker wrote:

Vengeful infants will do it to get back to mothers who abandon them or they just did for shits and giggles.

There is a little trick for dealing with bears, They can't get you if your standing on an occupied tile. If you ever try to hunt bear you should just stand on a rock or something and shoot it from there. Besides that the only other way to deal with them is to lure them away but that only works for so long.

I wasn't abandoning the baby. I was trying to feed it, so no need for vengeance.

Yes, that's good advice for bear management, but not useful in this context since I had literally just put down soil, had no bow and arrow, and no time to think.

#10 2018-05-31 01:49:34

Go! Bwah!

I like summoning bears but generally don't do it near towns.  I just like the excitement.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#11 2018-05-31 05:47:51

Stripes251

It was likely/possibly me. I spawned but i didn't intend too as I wanted to log off, so I tried to suicide by using a bear. When it spawned it mad a B-line north after my mother/possible you and killed her, sooooo sorry about that. I would have hit the percent key on my keyboard but it doesn't seem work. Though I will admit it was hilarious on my end as I wasn't expecting that to happen.

"O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." - Monty Python

#12 2018-05-31 05:59:34

Stripes251

If it was me that caused your death I do hope you respawned to a nice family in a thriving community and I will be more careful while killing myself next time.

"O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." - Monty Python

Board footer