One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-06-01 02:54:23

sc0rp

Re: Boys

Feldspar wrote:

That's a fair enough call to make- and yeah I've definitely more tolerant of useless girls than boys for similar reasons. My main problem is with the trend of players who think automatically killing off ALL boys is a good idea haha. Like when the town is clearly producing enough food and could probably do with a few more rabbit hunters and they're acting like idiots, thinking that getting rid of potentially useful boys is good pop control.

Maybe they're not up to date.  There where no real downsides to that strategy - as a girl you could always shun the kids when they where inconvienient.  As a boy you had no option to have kids when things got rough.  Nowadays, with lineage ban, this strategy is killing the town.  But in does it in completely opaque way.  Having kids is just random event.  And not having them in town looks like you're just not "getting lucky".  There is no indication, that you did anything wrong in the past, that is causing it.

#27 2018-06-01 03:12:51

Feldspar

sc0rp wrote:

Maybe they're not up to date.  There where no real downsides to that strategy - as a girl you could always shun the kids when they where inconvienient.  As a boy you had no option to have kids when things got rough.  Nowadays, with lineage ban, this strategy is killing the town.  But in does it in completely opaque way.  Having kids is just random event.  And not having them in town looks like you're just not "getting lucky".  There is no indication, that you did anything wrong in the past, that is causing it.

Tbh I thought it was a dumb strategy even before the lineage ban though. For one, I'm kinda hesitant to over rely on abandoning kids as you are making other players game less fun by doing it- which could cause them to quit playing. Also I find having babies to be distracting even if you don't plan on keeping them- there's been times where being distracted by the sudden appearance of a baby has caused me to not spot  the rattle snake in time etc.

But mostly I find it dumb as boys can actually be super helpful over rough times. I've found as a boy I'm more likely to find untapped wild resources as I can spend my younger years roaming further from town and exploring rather than constantly bringing babies back to the campfire. Often it means I can survive famines by simply just running away to far away berry bushes when food is getting low and spending that time collecting milkweed stalks, seeds, rabbits or whatever else it was that was causing the town to get into trouble in the first place.

just here putting off doing my assignments

#28 2018-06-01 04:01:26

sc0rp

Feldspar wrote:

But mostly I find it dumb as boys can actually be super helpful over rough times. I've found as a boy I'm more likely to find untapped wild resources as I can spend my younger years roaming further from town and exploring rather than constantly bringing babies back to the campfire. Often it means I can survive famines by simply just running away to far away berry bushes when food is getting low and spending that time collecting milkweed stalks, seeds, rabbits or whatever else it was that was causing the town to get into trouble in the first place.

If boy is born you don't know whether he'll be helpful or carrot sponge.  Sponge carrot girl is still usefull.  Sponge carrot boy is worse than useless - he's actively harming your village.  If you get unlucky, then there is high chance that your daughters will starve first. Or at least they won't be able to keep their children alive. It just harder to forage and keep kid alive at the same time.  So, you go out, some time later get back to your village, and what you see? All the daughters dead and the most useless boy alive. One or two games like this, where you had good spot, pretty village, worked your ass off, but your lineage died, and you start shuning boys.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-01 04:02:14)

#29 2018-06-01 04:32:03

Feldspar

sc0rp wrote:

If boy is born you don't know whether he'll be helpful or carrot sponge.  Sponge carrot girl is still usefull.  Sponge carrot boy is worse than useless - he's actively harming your village.  If you get unlucky, then there is high chance that your daughters will starve first. Or at least they won't be able to keep their children alive. It just harder to forage and keep kid alive at the same time.  So, you go out, some time later get back to your village, and what you see? All the daughters dead and the most useless boy alive. One or two games like this, where you had good spot, pretty village, worked your ass off, but your lineage died, and you start shuning boys.

I dunno, I've probably had worse problems with carrot sponge girls in the past before. At least with the boys there's just one of them. With girls- well they may be continuing the lineage, but if they are bad at giving instructions to their children then chances are you'll end up with a whole group of carrot sponges, which are bound to kill the town faster than any one boy could. I think a better solution is just to make sure you give your kids clear instructions on what they need to do for the town. Sure you get the occasional griefer or bad player, but I think most carrot sponges are just people who are not sure what to do. I even still occasionally find I live the odd carrot sponge life when I can't find any useful jobs I know how to do around town and none of the other players are willing to help me out. Having a mum say from the start "we need rabbits, snares north" or something similar can make a big difference.

just here putting off doing my assignments

#30 2018-06-01 05:46:05

sc0rp

Feldspar wrote:

I dunno, I've probably had worse problems with carrot sponge girls in the past before. At least with the boys there's just one of them. With girls- well they may be continuing the lineage, but if they are bad at giving instructions to their children then chances are you'll end up with a whole group of carrot sponges, which are bound to kill the town faster than any one boy could.

That's actually perfect situation for me. It can hardly get better than that.  What I do if I see famine imminent?  Grab a basket and run off 2-3 biomes away to forage.  Chill out on some warm spot for 2-3 minutes chewing berries, and then go back.  Natural selection did what it does best.  All dumb kids died away.  And whoever is alive at this point is experienced player that went foraging too.  You have perfect team from now on.  Sometimes when I see famine imminent, I also ask one most usefull, hard working kid to grab a basket and follow me - I usually know better where to go.

Feldspar wrote:

I think a better solution is just to make sure you give your kids clear instructions on what they need to do for the town. Sure you get the occasional griefer or bad player, but I think most carrot sponges are just people who are not sure what to do. I even still occasionally find I live the odd carrot sponge life when I can't find any useful jobs I know how to do around town and none of the other players are willing to help me out. Having a mum say from the start "we need rabbits, snares north" or something similar can make a big difference.

I do it sometimes but it's kind of full time job.  Tell all women that I'm running nursery.  Grab each kid and run around with him to show what's where.  Figure out what is the most difficult task they can do and assign them there.  Or as apprentice to someone else.  It's kind of hard though, when kid can say only a letter or two, but doable.  Do you know how to compost? N. Do you know how to smith? N  K, stay here untill you grow up a little and and then grab a basket and bring 20 stones. We need them for wells. That works most of the time. With small problems of course. First stones he brings are all from kitchen causing ppl making pies to get mad wink

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-01 05:48:11)

Board footer