One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-30 18:07:45

Aurora Aurora

Boys

Stop abandoning them! They are cute little nuggets who will one day grow up to be cute big nuggets.

I love the boys way more then the girls because they’re not as stuck up and they don’t think they’re hot shit just cause they can produce babies also I can marry them without being called the town creep.

SO WHAT IM SAYING IS THAT I LOVE MY BEDICKED NUGGETS AND THEY DESERVE YOUR LOVE TOO

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#2 2018-05-30 18:29:16

YAHG

Re: Boys

Aye keep the boys, people could stand to be better roaming foragers. Ideally we should try to make cities so awesome that the whole server could thrive in it at once..

Instead of starving out other players they complaining about griefers

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#3 2018-05-30 18:58:10

Turnipseed

As eve i only keep one boy and two girls (getting a replacement when one dies). in a big town i keep teo girls and all the boys to prevent overpopulation, and thus death by baby machine.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#4 2018-05-30 19:06:34

sc0rp

Boys are just broken girls in this game. They offer no advantage.

#5 2018-05-30 19:08:19

Teleri

sc0rp wrote:

Stops overpopulation in larger cities. Guys can go adventure out without having to worry about a kid showing up too. AND if they are needed for baby raising, they can handfeed the kids.

#6 2018-05-30 19:10:35

Mr.XIX

sc0rp wrote:

Boys can produce, without causing new players to spawn.
This prevents overpopulation, while maintaining the necessary workpower.

It's not much...

(and they have mighty beards!)

#7 2018-05-30 20:03:49

YAHG

Can't do any missions till you are grey as a lady... Always popping out people!..
I can do missions like, get sheep and get horse and stuff as Man.
As lady I have to smith or farm or bake for the most part.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#8 2018-05-30 22:33:17

sc0rp

YAHG wrote:

Can't do any missions till you are grey as a lady... Always popping out people!..
I can do missions like, get sheep and get horse and stuff as Man.
As lady I have to smith or farm or bake for the most part.

You don't need to keep them all, you have that option. But I agree that it feels bad.  And I usually bring back kid with me, even if born far away from city.

As a boy, if village runs out of fertile women., whatever you do is completely pointless.

#9 2018-05-31 01:54:00

Go! Bwah!

No town is complete without a solid supply of long straight shafts.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#10 2018-05-31 01:57:57

sc0rp

Go! Bwah! wrote:

No town is complete without a solid supply of long straight shafts.

LOL

#11 2018-05-31 02:32:27

Lily

If you let a baby die, that player can't respawn into the family again for like 3 hours or something. So it probably isn't wise to let everyone die in mass, as you may run out players who can spawn in the family. That is why it is better to have a male, than a female who just lets all her children die.

#12 2018-05-31 02:47:56

Acozi

I like boys because they get SO MUCH DONE! The first time I lived as a boy I was shocked at how much I got done. It was also refreshing not popping out kids most my life.

#13 2018-05-31 02:50:40

sc0rp

Lily wrote:

If you let a baby die, that player can't respawn into the family again for like 3 hours or something. So it probably isn't wise to let everyone die in mass, as you may run out players who can spawn in the family. That is why it is better to have a male, than a female who just lets all her children die.

Oh, this problem has been already solved with recent nerfs.  There are no viable towns anymore in the game. Or am I just unlucky? Just looking at the stats for all players:

Recent Elder Deaths:
Eve Hood    60 years old    Generation: 1    Died 65 seconds ago
Eve Yom    60 years old    Generation: 1    Died 2 minutes ago
Eve Lovecchio    60 years old    Generation: 1    Died 4 minutes ago
Nameless    59 years old    Generation: 1    Died 4 minutes ago
Eve Storm    59 years old    Generation: 1    Died 4 minutes ago

Today's Long Lines:
Horizon    9 years old    Generation: 18    Died 21 hours ago
Askari    44 years old    Generation: 17    Died 21 hours ago
King    18 years old    Generation: 17    Died 21 hours ago
Kden    16 years old    Generation: 17    Died 21 hours ago
Wacey    1 year old    Generation: 17    Died 22 hours ago

Hmm, all from the same family, wiped out by a griefer:

Askari
44 years old
21 hours ago
Starved
Final words: "Im not stabing you"

Jeanette
Aunt
54 years old
21 hours ago
Killed by Askari
Final words: "Eat shit"

Niya
Mother
42 years old
21 hours ago
Killed by Askari
Final words: "Lol"

Nameless
Daughter
1 year old
21 hours ago
Killed by Askari
Final words: "O"

Horizon
Son
5 years old
21 hours ago
Killed by Askari
Final words: "Mam!?"

Horizon
Son
1 year old
21 hours ago
Killed by Askari
Final words: "Y"

Rest people that starved was probably fleeing the town.
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=182688

#14 2018-05-31 06:45:25

Superfun2
Banned

sc0rp wrote:
Lily wrote:

Oh, this problem has been already solved with recent nerfs.  There are no viable towns anymore in the game. Or am I just unlucky? Just looking at the stats for all players:

Recent Elder Deaths:
Eve Hood    60 years old    Generation: 1    Died 65 seconds ago
Eve Yom    60 years old    Generation: 1    Died 2 minutes ago
Eve Lovecchio    60 years old    Generation: 1    Died 4 minutes ago

Nameless    59 years old    Generation: 1    Died 4 minutes ago
Eve Storm    59 years old    Generation: 1    Died 4 minutes ago

Today's Long Lines:
Horizon    9 years old    Generation: 18    Died 21 hours ago
Askari    44 years old    Generation: 17    Died 21 hours ago
King    18 years old    Generation: 17    Died 21 hours ago
Kden    16 years old    Generation: 17    Died 21 hours ago
Wacey    1 year old    Generation: 17    Died 22 hours ago

Hmm, all from the same family, wiped out by a griefer:

Askari
44 years old
21 hours ago
Starved
Final words: "Im not stabing you"

Jeanette
Aunt
54 years old
21 hours ago
Killed by Askari
Final words: "Eat shit"

Niya
Mother
42 years old
21 hours ago
Killed by Askari
Final words: "Lol"

Nameless
Daughter
1 year old
21 hours ago
Killed by Askari
Final words: "O"

Horizon
Son
5 years old
21 hours ago
Killed by Askari
Final words: "Mam!?"

Horizon
Son
1 year old
21 hours ago
Killed by Askari
Final words: "Y"

Rest people that starved was probably fleeing the town.
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … &id=182688

That was me big_smile very fun to try and avoid getting shot at

PRO TIPS FOR MASS MURDER
*Hide all weapons and destroy kilns/Ovens
*Drain ponds to remove goose for arrows
*Collect all knifes don't hide
*Make locked chest for weapons and put the keyinside

I name my self Amyx after my hot 8th grade science teacher  and my baby names are after hot girls in my school. big_smile

#15 2018-05-31 14:24:55

Bad0pel

Yes, thank you Aurora. Perhaps someday i'll be your lil nugget.

#16 2018-05-31 14:42:01

Aurora Aurora

Bad0pel wrote:

Yes, thank you Aurora. Perhaps someday i'll be your lil nugget.

I'd like that very much.

#17 2018-05-31 14:49:58

Feldspar

Yes thank you for making this thread!

I don't get why people are so keen on abandoning boys- the reality is that you only need one fertile female per generation to keep the whole town going! So unless the town is running short of both food and fertile females at the same time, there's nothing to be gained from starving out other players for being born male.

Also as everyone else has mentioned above, you need your male villages for doing long range missions; I love being a rabbit hunter and foraging in the wilderness for my town, but it can't be done when I'm a child bearing women as I keep getting interrupted! Much better to split your time between town jobs/teaching new players (when born female) and expeditions/resource collecting (when male).

just here putting off doing my assignments

#18 2018-05-31 18:01:00

Lum

Aurora Aurora wrote:

also I can marry them without being called the town creep.

Wtf?

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#19 2018-05-31 18:20:01

Aurora Aurora

Lum wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

also I can marry them without being called the town creep.

Wtf?

Yeah, I get labeled as a creep when I try to marry a woman as a man. But proposing to a man as a woman or proposing as a man to a man is apparently okay.

#20 2018-05-31 19:57:03

sc0rp

Feldspar wrote:

Yes thank you for making this thread!I don't get why people are so keen on abandoning boys- the reality is that you only need one fertile female per generation to keep the whole town going!

Perfect advice!  Then your only woman gets distracted/lags out and starves and your town is permanently gone.

#21 2018-05-31 22:05:46

Acozi

Jeanette
Aunt
54 years old
21 hours ago
Killed by Askari
Final words: "Eat Shit"

This was me!! I felt responsible, it looked like one guy just stood at carrots and ate them. So I asked someone to kill him. Someone said he was farming. I felt bad. In the chaos the other person went stab happy. Idk how to use bow haha.

#22 2018-06-01 00:50:49

sc0rp

Acozi wrote:

Jeanette
Aunt
54 years old
21 hours ago
Killed by Askari
Final words: "Eat Shit"

This was me!! I felt responsible, it looked like one guy just stood at carrots and ate them. So I asked someone to kill him. Someone said he was farming. I felt bad. In the chaos the other person went stab happy. Idk how to use bow haha.

Nah. Don't feel bad.  For me it looks like profesional greifer.  Anything could've triggered him.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-01 00:51:04)

#23 2018-06-01 01:41:14

Feldspar

sc0rp wrote:
Feldspar wrote:

Yes thank you for making this thread!I don't get why people are so keen on abandoning boys- the reality is that you only need one fertile female per generation to keep the whole town going!

Perfect advice!  Then your only woman gets distracted/lags out and starves and your town is permanently gone.

You misunderstood me I'll explain better: I'm not saying you should *only* keep one girl. I'm saying that in a game that is literally designed so that one woman can start a whole town from scratch, you don't need a gender ratio of 20 girls to 1 guy lol. Obviously a town should try and have *at least* 2 or 3 fertile (or at least adolescent) woman running around at any given time, but to achieve that you don't need to abandon every son you have.

Hell in a few cases it might be beneficial to keep the son over the daughter; if you've already got a lot of young girls running around and the carrot farm is looking like its struggling to keep  up, a son may be more helpful as he won't act as a spawning point for more players and you can send him on some long range resource gathering missions (meaning he'll probably forage for his own food more). The flip side of that is of course when the town is running short of both daughters and food, you will have think about getting rid of male babies in the hopes you can save more resources for future female ones.

#24 2018-06-01 02:07:24

sc0rp

Feldspar wrote:

You misunderstood me I'll explain better: I'm not saying you should *only* keep one girl. I'm saying that in a game that is literally designed so that one woman can start a whole town from scratch, you don't need a gender ratio of 20 girls to 1 guy lol. Obviously a town should try and have *at least* 2 or 3 fertile (or at least adolescent) woman running around at any given time, but to achieve that you don't need to abandon every son you have.

Hell in a few cases it might be beneficial to keep the son over the daughter; if you've already got a lot of young girls running around and the carrot farm is looking like its struggling to keep  up, a son may be more helpful as he won't act as a spawning point for more players and you can send him on some long range resource gathering missions (meaning he'll probably forage for his own food more). The flip side of that is of course when the town is running short of both daughters and food, you will have think about getting rid of male babies in the hopes you can save more resources for future female ones.

If we're are talking about well run town, that's no brainer - you can and should keep every single child.  OTOH if we talk about early settlement, things are different.  You need to have like 3 fertile women all the time, no matter what.  And it looks like daughters die like a flies, even right next to food, with job descripition like "stay close to farm, eat carrots, plz don't go anywhere until you have 2-3 girls". So that unsually means keeping every single one.  Even carrots sponges.  And boys?  You can afford only keeping smart ones, that can go outside and forage for themselves.  Carrot sponge boy + village = nothing. So if boy does anything stupid, like jumping out of my arms while I feed him, not staying in the warm spot, etc., I immediately shun him. He'll most likely will be only a drain.  If things get really rough, I shun every single boy.  Unless he's persistent.  Following me after "SRY", staying warm, "P" does indeed wonders.

Last edited by sc0rp (2018-06-01 02:12:23)

#25 2018-06-01 02:25:58

Feldspar

sc0rp wrote:
Feldspar wrote:

If we're are talking about well run town, that's no brainer - you can and should keep every single child.  OTOH if we talk about early settlement, things are different.  You need to have like 3 fertile women all the time, no matter what.  And it looks like daughters die like a flies, even right next to food, with job descripition like "stay close to farm, eat carrots, plz don't go anywhere until you have 2-3 girls". So that unsually means keeping every single one.  Even carrots sponges.  And boys?  You can afford only keeping smart ones, that can go outside and forage for themselves.  Carrot sponge boy + village = nothing. So if boy does anything stupid, like jumping out of my arms while I feed him, not staying in the warm spot, etc., I immediately shun him. He'll most likely will be only a drain.  If things get really rough, I shun every single boy.  Unless he's persistent.  Following me after "SRY", staying warm, "P" does indeed wonders.

That's a fair enough call to make- and yeah I've definitely more tolerant of useless girls than boys for similar reasons. My main problem is with the trend of players who think automatically killing off ALL boys is a good idea haha. Like when the town is clearly producing enough food and could probably do with a few more rabbit hunters and they're acting like idiots, thinking that getting rid of potentially useful boys is good pop control.

Last edited by Feldspar (2018-06-01 02:26:23)

Board footer