One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-05-28 01:43:54

pein

Re: was there a milkweed change?

thats kinda stupid cause i need pack, its the only thing that can prevent others stealing my shit and use on useless stuff
i can mke the pen very fast, but with lineage ban i can never enjoy it basically
now with milkweed nerf, most of my life i run around to make a pack

having a pen, is pretty hard alone, having berry for dung and compost is also hard, and so bad when people steal your stuff afterwards

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#27 2018-05-28 01:58:45

YAHG

Do the back packs still reset if you put soil into them? IIR items can not hold data..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#28 2018-05-28 02:53:36

TrustyWay

jasonrohrer wrote:

This has not been fully worked out just yet.

There will be some other changes to farming, wells, and soil in the next update.

I'm really trying to move away from "unlimited but fragile supplies of X," because that means there are no more decisions to make, and you just need to make sure everyone is careful and follows the rule.  I've seen the eternal milkweed farms, where you just walk buy and pick whichever plant is fruiting when you walk by.  Nice that some ancient relative set this up for us, but now we're kinda done thinking about milkweed forever.

What I want is more of this:  We have these resources available right now, and where should we commit them?  For example, when do we have enough excess soil and water that we can grow some milkweed on the side?  Even deciding where to spend the milkweed should be an interesting decision (but only if supply is limited).

Berry bushes will likely change too, though I'm somewhat stuck on exactly how they will work.  At least there are still decisions to make in maintaining them, assuming that water becomes more limited again.

Even if we were picking milkweed when fruiting and having infinit of them, it didn't mean the job was easy, we were lacking of milkweed all the time. The only pine houses I have seen were in the record breaking generation runs. Now pines stuff is greifing now matter what.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-05-28 13:12:54)

#29 2018-05-28 06:07:47

afloatingstone

I can't understand the logic behind nerfing milkweed. You need a constant supply to replace the constantly decaying packs, clothing, boxes and carts. Storage was a big problem before but now it is even worse. Why do you even need rope to make a wooden box it doesn't make sense?

#30 2018-05-28 07:21:07

Turnipseed

afloatingstone wrote:

I can't understand the logic behind nerfing milkweed. You need a constant supply to replace the constantly decaying packs, clothing, boxes and carts. Storage was a big problem before but now it is even worse. Why do you even need rope to make a wooden box it doesn't make sense?

Metal nails might be a better solution

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#31 2018-05-28 13:03:34

Anshin

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm really trying to move away from "unlimited but fragile supplies of X," because that means there are no more decisions to make, and you just need to make sure everyone is careful and follows the rule.  I've seen the eternal milkweed farms, where you just walk buy and pick whichever plant is fruiting when you walk by.  Nice that some ancient relative set this up for us, but now we're kinda done thinking about milkweed forever.

That's what legacy and progress are. People have projects that provide for others so they are free to worry about new things.

jasonrohrer wrote:

What I want is more of this:  We have these resources available right now, and where should we commit them?  For example, when do we have enough excess soil and water that we can grow some milkweed on the side?  Even deciding where to spend the milkweed should be an interesting decision (but only if supply is limited).

Not enough soil to grow milkweed leads to not enough thread for clothes which increases food demand which consumes more soil. This little death engine prevents towns from growing to a size big enough to worry about excess. Perhaps a simple but short lived option of digging on green space with a sharp rock = one time use (poor) soil and makes the sharp rock round again.

jasonrohrer wrote:

This has not been fully worked out just yet.

There will be some other changes to farming, wells, and soil in the next update.
... ... ...
Berry bushes will likely change too, though I'm somewhat stuck on exactly how they will work.  At least there are still decisions to make in maintaining them, assuming that water becomes more limited again.

Bone meal plant fertilizer = speeds up plant cycling (example, domestic berry bushes now grow berries in half the time)
Well placement should affect refill rate.
Rollback branch respawning.
Saplings growing into trees needs to be a thing.
Reeds need to be farmable and more wicker craftable items should be possible.
There should be a low random spawn rate for plants, as they do take back the land in real life.
New plant = hemp, makes stronger string and rope so items last longer.
New animal, Bovine = milk (becomes) yogurt (becomes) cheese, meat, leather, an animal that can pull a plow.
Plowing empty green space should create fertile soil (trade off is that plow requires a lot of iron, wood, hemp ropes, a cow)
Dead lambs should have a purpose - meat, karakul fleece, compost.
Seal meat should be harvestable. (Google seal meat ... and Flipper Pie!)
Bears should be edible.
Penguins must be able to die.

#32 2018-05-28 18:10:20

Anshin

More iron please... less snakes.
Thank you, love the game.

Board footer