One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-02 09:55:51

TyrantNomad

Base Biome (ABANDON ALL GREEN)

During my long walks, I noticed (as we all probably have) that the vast majority of all settlements - including the original larger ones - seem to have started on green-land biomes.

I'd like to start a movement to prevent this from happening as green-land biomes offer very little benefit compared to wetland or even rabbitland biomes (it's still better than stoneland though!)

You see villagers taking minute-long treks for measly 3 water pouches, or long journeys in search of clay and adobes - even making a simple basket is not possible.

I have built a few smaller clay buildings in single lifetimes simply due to the resources being not 20 screens away, but two.
A single farmer can tend a doubly-sized farm when there's plenty of water around.

The original berryswamp base was the biggest one for a while - before falling repeatedly due to overpopulation.

What are your thoughts?
More experienced players, what are the reasons for staying in green lands?

#2 2018-03-02 10:19:41

asterlea

Re: Base Biome (ABANDON ALL GREEN)

Personally I think being on the border of multiple biomes is the key, rather than being in a specific one, as most of them have important things. Green areas in particular, other than having berries which can be good for the founding of a camp and is probably a big contribution to why so many are started there, also have milkweed, fertile soil, and plentiful trees for wood, leaves and tinder. My last village was in the green fields near a swamp with plenty of ponds near the border, and it seemed like a pretty good location with the best of both worlds.

And there is also the aesthetic factor, where the lush green area seems more comfortable to live in than a gloomy swamp for most people. May seem silly, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had at least a little influence on where people choose to settle.

#3 2018-03-02 11:06:04

yvanhooe

The swamps are definitely better for farming. Green lands have milkweed and emergency berries and more crucially lots of necessary branches for crafting or making fire (until recently swamps had no trees).

It does make sense to move plots to swamps once a food supply starts to be secured. Note that you can put back fertile soils in baskets, so moving a farm away just takes a few loads of a handcart.

#4 2018-03-02 11:20:59

rosden

The 2 major problems I see is fire and starting out. Starting a fire requires lots of materials from the greenland biome so being too far away from one will be a problem.
When starting out the play wants lots of food and carrots won't be enough so the player sets up around the berries to survive. Setting up a farm requires fire so the player gathers all the resources in one place to make it. by the time the player can make farms they have already set up a base.

If making a base in a wetland is to occur the player is going to need to migrate after set up which can take some work that may seem unnecessary.

I do think it could be a good idea making a base on a wetland biome that's next to a greenland biome but it would need to be a mid game move so don't expect most people to do it.

#5 2018-03-02 12:23:10

yvanhooe

I have seen bases where most of the workshops are on greenland and the farms in wetland.

It involves hauling baskets or carts of carrots to the greenland but at least the distance of these trip does not increase like the one to the water ponds do. And farmers can eat on the spot. After you get an axe you can get wood from the wetlands too so this becomes less of a problem.

Board footer