One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-02 06:40:41

aeiowu

Cultural Roles

There's been some talk on the discord about various tenants to follow that are more cultural than functional. A good example: brianj spearheading his sustainability laws. While forum posts are cool and we should talk and spread the word outside the game, I was thinking it might be effective to take up cultural roles inside the game, at least until it becomes "gospel" to help spread proper culture so we can move forward.

Right now I think we could use something like... a town crier, or maybe call them priests? It'd be someone that speaks at the city center, around the fire or indoors protected from the cold, about the 3 laws of sustainability and other important topics. They'd basically do this ad-nauseam for anyone that found the settlement along with any newborn babies etc. Anyone new would be sent to the city center by folks already in the know. Maybe they also nurse children as needed.

I fear if we don't do something drastic like this we'll have a really hard time properly spreading the word and chaos will prevail.

#2 2018-03-02 08:16:55

asterlea

Re: Cultural Roles

Start a school, and elders can be teachers!

I have heard of people taking on the role of a nursing mother and using that as an opportunity to spread information, but that's not always sustainable. In a recent game, I lived to be the eldest and when I was getting old I called everyone together and told them the laws. Everyone seemed excited to gather 'round and listen to the wisdom of their elder and it was a really neat way to end that run. Also, when I have children of my own I will take them with me even as babies to do things like get water and warn them to never drain the pond completely as I do it. Or warn them about milkweed as I plant or harvest milkweed. It can be hard if you're in emergency survival mode, but if you do have the time to mentor kids it's a good way to pass on knowledge. Older kids (yours or others) can be like an apprentice and I will have them do whatever I'm doing too, if possible, so they learn and are doing needed work at the same time. So there's a lot of ways to teach others without a purely dedicated role at the moment, which is not often practical yet since there's still a lot of struggle in most places.

Side note - was just thinking it would be awesome to have a bell/gong/drum or something you could use to call people together from a bit of a distance. I got lucky and everyone in my scenario was already standing around the berry farm stuffing their faces since there were several kids who had just aged up and were discovering solid foods.

#3 2018-03-02 09:28:50

yvanhooe

Yes, when the kid grows is the perfect time for it. Especially if you can be close to a fire and have clothes or food in a backpack. Less stress and a few minutes with nothing else to do.

#4 2018-03-02 09:31:34

vfabien21

Very interesting. I see that it is where the game is actually played.

#5 2018-03-02 10:21:56

Beans

The idea of passing down a set of functional/cultural rules to newer generations is so interesting! I think we're bordering on a religion here.

Last edited by Beans (2018-03-02 10:22:10)

#6 2018-03-02 10:39:06

Kabouik

Beans wrote:

The idea of passing down a set of functional/cultural rules to newer generations is so interesting! I think we're bordering on a religion here.

I would rather call that culture and/or education, but that doesn't mean town criers or priests can't use the same ways to try creating sects as well.

Board footer