One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-07 13:17:45

Roolstar

A look at Jason's performance as a God so far

I've witnessed a God creating an Apocalypse which was a worse version of The Great Flood since not even an Arc could save you from what someone else did a billion miles away.

Then He promised us he won't do it again leaving monuments randomly scattered around the world as a reminder and a symbol for that promise.
Might as well have been rainbows lel.

Then He discovered that humans with abundance and riches get bored and reek havoc all around His perfect world. So he created decay. And kicked his creation out of Heaven, the land of infinite riches and abundance into a world of constant struggle and tedium.

Now I see Him considering a "Karma system" which is a much worse version of heaven and hell. Since innocent and guilty are equal in it's eyes, and it punishes VICTIMS of murder. Wow that should work for sure.

If Karma delivers what it sets out to achieve, it promises of a hell where murder victims will in fact end up on the same empty server with their killers. Living in eternal torment on the hands of the devils and demons and may even be pushed further down to lower levels of hell again and again, until the Devil (who got them there) gets bored and calls it a day then comes back the next day just like everybody else. Seriously.

Heaven = Server 1. The land of abundance, peace and prosperity. Such a short sighted and wrong view, since the most effective form of griefing would be rampant there, from entrance blocking to soil and milkweed and trees destruction. FAIL.

Hell = server 15. Where killers go.... wait for it... to find their victims! Who are now poorer and more defenseless against them. Until they get bored and log out for the day, coming back tomorrow to heaven. Gigantic FAIL.

OHOL the experiment intended for us mortal players, is now becoming a test for its Creator's ability to play that role better than what every mythology and religion tried and failed at doing. Lol, good luck.

While mortals are doing a good  job, building colonies and living a life of both hardship and joy (what that game is all about), God's still trying to figure out that Right and Wrong are impossible to distinguish from one another, and that any Judgment system will become a tyranny.

I take those mythological stories as wisdom collected through the ages, telling the stories of failed Gods who attempted to create a perfect and fair world to no avail.
Tales of Gods filled with anger and revenge caused by failure after the next.

Jason will learn that someday as well. And in the meantime we have to live in the dark ages of reason and enlightenment.

Good luck God, may you discover that the best thing you can do for this world is to stop tweaking with Judgement ideas and just create more abundance and possibility for prosperity. You are much better at that anyway.

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-05-08 16:44:51)

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#2 2018-05-07 13:25:39

TrustyWay

Re: A look at Jason's performance as a God so far

Ladder/karma systems aren't viable, killers kill killers, and if you don't kill killer you will be killed, doesn't make sense if innocents, guards and killers are killed and end up in hell. Lineage ban is a way better solution so it prevents people spaming their comeback in villages. And Jason didn't create this world, mushrooms he ate did everything, Hail to the mushrooms

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-05-07 13:26:38)

#3 2018-05-07 13:57:26

Redhawk

Lineage ban would slow down griefers re appearing in the same village, which would be at least a break in the carnage and a feeling that a character protecting a village at least had some effect.  And it may reduce the non-murder greifer appearances.

A karma push to another (low) server may be productive if it was implemented with a account based tracker that tracked kills per some period of time.  A griefer kills many, a character protecting would seem to kill a limited number.  So your first 2 or 3 kills in a defined time is excused, as the number grows past that you get a trip to hell?

#4 2018-05-07 14:05:37

TrustyWay

Griefers don't kill they destroy, play backwards which cannot be detected. When I play normally for the community I usually have like 3-4 kills per life, it could be a griefer I kill, a seed eater, somebody wanting my crowns or the rest of the family of the dude that tried to take my crown, people I have an argument with, or simply like everyone does : stabbing baby boys.

The game isn't supposed to be farming only so I don't agree

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-05-07 14:07:10)

#5 2018-05-07 17:11:45

JS

Easy and intuitive to you
Introducing 'THE WANTED LIST'.

In a typical MMORPG, the killer immediately displays a red name.
And there is no penalty for killing another killer.

It's more reasonable than the karma system.
Also, socially acceptable protections will be appreciated by people.
The penalty can be temporary.
For example, 10 years.

#6 2018-05-07 17:43:24

TrustyWay

JS wrote:

For example, 10 years.

Then no raids ? Then we can't kill griefers, stealers, unwanted kids, lazy people or over eaters, people that insult ? It means we would have to work twice harder or even more to prevent all or kill ourselves everytime somebody is doing wrong

#7 2018-05-07 17:58:31

YAHG

TrustyWay wrote:
JS wrote:

For example, 10 years.

Then no raids ? Then we can't kill griefers, stealers, unwanted kids, lazy people or over eaters, people that insult ? It means we would have to work twice harder or even more to prevent all or kill ourselves everytime somebody is doing wrong

Aye this, killing is needed. Other than the killed coming back for vengeance (too gamey/meta imo) it is
working just fine. MAYBE it could be easier to find out who the fucking killer is/was though but I might
just be a shit detective so <3

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#8 2018-05-07 21:59:31

Redhawk

TrustyWay wrote:

Griefers don't kill they destroy, play backwards which cannot be detected. When I play normally for the community I usually have like 3-4 kills per life, it could be a griefer I kill, a seed eater, somebody wanting my crowns or the rest of the family of the dude that tried to take my crown, people I have an argument with, or simply like everyone does : stabbing baby boys.

The game isn't supposed to be farming only so I don't agree

Never said it was a farming simulator, there seems to be a progression - you start farming then add smithing, animals, building etc.  when you don't get some balance things fall apart.  The first hurdle seems to be when you get some critical mass and everyone wants to not be the farmer.  (Which I sorta get - I only farm for a while and see if anyone else takes interest).

But look at the bright side.....if you want to run around and kill for a crown, hell would be a place with plenty of other crown killers......think of the awesome wars!!!!!

And why not run around and kill for a hoe? or saw? at least those objects have a purpose.

#9 2018-05-08 04:52:36

JS

TrustyWay wrote:

I rely on Google translation.

I am aware of the reasonable defense of a sheriff recognized by society.
Therefore, I have proposed a jury system.
When the sheriff "solved", nearby residents recognized his "solution".

(I suggested a popup window in the past.)

For a simple solution, we can mark our support by clicking on the red sheriff's bare hand.
When the sheriff gets support, a supporter's name or number is displayed next to the red name.
If the sheriff gets three or five supporters, the penalty disappears.

It is similar to high five of sports game.

#10 2018-05-08 11:18:28

SSDarkMoon

Handcuffs and captivity system is needed with the Karma system.

Good player won't kill the killer but use a Handcuff to stop them
(what I wish is Wood Handcuff can hold a person 10 mins,rock 20 mins ,metal 30 mins )
Handcuff with rope can let others bring the person to some where.

Guillotine which made by metal and wood can be used by 3 times.
only a person with Handcuff can bring to the Guillotine.

#11 2018-05-08 12:46:20

mikekchar

It is possible that I was the first person to suggest a karma ladder.  I actually kind of like the idea of the killed being demoted in a strange way.  I think the key is that there aren't just 2 servers.  There are 15.  Let's say you are in the "heaven" of server 15.  You get murdered.  You go down to server 14.  It's not such a big deal.  You killers can't identify you.  They can't stalk you and shoot you down to server 1.  You're still in a heaven like server anyway.  You're a bit more careful and you stay out of trouble.  Eventually you go back up to server 1.

Also, just like real karma, there is not good karma and bad karma.  There is just karma.  Who's to say that server 1 really is "heaven"?  As TrustyWay implies, what if I *want* to kill other players because that's what I find fun (sorry to paraphrase).  What if I want to play on a server where killing happens more often?  What's wrong with that?  If that's what you like, then there will be an easy way to get there.

Not to turn this in to a religion class, but karma is the result of action.  There is skilful action and there is unskilful action.  We can debate in the forum about what action is skilful and what action is not, but it would be *way* more fun if we did it in the game.  A good part of the conflict in the community is that some people want to play one way and some people want to play another way.  There is no way to create consensus because each group spoils the other's game.  We never see the outcome of these ideas.

To go back to the thread's title, I've been pretty impressed.  I certainly would have done things differently than Jason.  In fact, I would be a raving lunatic if I had to deal with the stuff he's dealing with.  He seems to stay calm (I can't understand how -- please teach me sometime if you are reading!).  He's been pretty open with the idea that the game is intended to run for a couple of years.  So we're maybe 2% of the way to death robots.  Long way to go and I'm super curious to see how it goes.

#12 2018-05-08 13:47:05

Roolstar

JS wrote:

For a simple solution, we can mark our support by clicking on the red sheriff's bare hand.
When the sheriff gets support, a supporter's name or number is displayed next to the red name.

Or a much simpler suggestion I made a while back and didn't gain any traction for some reason

<< You kill a person, someone has to feed you once before you can eat on your own again >>

Details here:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1187

Exert from that thread that relate to your point:
>
However needing someone to feed you after makes things interesting: (and more realistic)
- If you are a guard who's doing his/her job, citizens feed you. (Similar to armed forces and cops irl, with the support of the community)
- Make a mistake and shoot someone accidentally, someone "vouches" for you and feeds you. (game mechanics are tricky with a weapon in hand)
- Want to be a killer, convince someone to assist you and start your killing spree.
<

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#13 2018-05-08 14:05:44

Spiegel

Woah, Roolstar, that sounds brilliant!

#14 2018-05-08 16:25:13

Roolstar

Spiegel wrote:

Woah, Roolstar, that sounds brilliant!

Thank you dude, I appreciate it smile

#15 2018-05-08 19:00:50

YAHG

Meh, killing other players is part of the game, otherwise you wouldn't be able to target people with weapons..
If you could stab them back while you were bleeding out it would be no problem at all, they could only get the unarmed..
They are slowed after a kill anyways, so it should be easy enough to take em out with you.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#16 2018-05-08 22:23:50

TrustyWay

Roolstar wrote:
JS wrote:

Or a much simpler suggestion I made a while back and didn't gain any traction for some reason

<< You kill a person, someone has to feed you once before you can eat on your own again >>

Details here:
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1187

Exert from that thread that relate to your point:
>
However needing someone to feed you after makes things interesting: (and more realistic)
- If you are a guard who's doing his/her job, citizens feed you. (Similar to armed forces and cops irl, with the support of the community)
- Make a mistake and shoot someone accidentally, someone "vouches" for you and feeds you. (game mechanics are tricky with a weapon in hand)
- Want to be a killer, convince someone to assist you and start your killing spree.
<

I thought this idea was dead cause non viable too, seems like a overreaction after all the nerfs.why not make a second person that feed the dude that could feed a killer ? Nah killing is part of the game, we all complain about it one day but when you learn how to play you can out play griefers and killets.

#17 2018-05-08 23:19:35

Redhawk

Jason put the ability to kill in with certain weapons/tools.  But the choice to kill is yours.

It's like real life, you can act out and take violent actions if you choose or you can find non-violent solutions.  Imagine if you choose killing your co-worker cause he took the last donut vs. just finding something else to eat?  Everyday life would become such a joy without penalties for anti-social behavior.

What makes this a game and different is that there are no adverse consequences to the violent minded - only to the non-violent.

In the long run, I believe the non-violent are the majority and they will finally give up on a (game) world filled with senseless, hide behind your computer screen, anti-social, justify any violent action crap filled world.

But then again, Jason let's us kill people so this must be a totally accurate battle simulator (or a kill your grandma over her lottery ticket simulator).

#18 2018-05-09 08:35:42

breezeknight

Jason as God ?

overworked ideologically impaired struggling to get more followers tongue

i hope the muse strucks his creative genius on a regular basis
& lets him transpond the creatitvity straight into the gameplay, cause that's atm rather stiffling to play

#19 2018-05-09 10:52:06

JS

Murder is part of the game? OK.

However, it is the opinion that a murderer needs a proper penalty.

If the user simply wants a game for murder, then FPS.

If the user wants to break down the work that others have done, there are Dominoes and Legos.
There are many games that support medieval sieges or large-scale battles.

There is not enough penalty to slow down after committing murder.
In reality, murderers are wanted and stigmatized.

In ancient times, if a murderer deliberately kills someone, there was a culture in which the entire victim 's family tracked the murderer.

If the stigma penalty is excessive, what about the hunger penalty?
If the killer does not know the hunger for a while, or if the food gauge is cut, it is a good enough penalty.
For example, a murderer does not feel hunger with adrenaline. (Not accurate)

Last edited by JS (2018-05-09 10:53:57)

#20 2018-05-09 11:02:23

Redhawk

JS I agree

It is just that murder is outta balance now......5 villages I was in Murder in 4.

I was in Ducks this morning.

Knives everywhere so it was only time before murder happened.

But then again Ducks is a special place....with a history.....so it seemed okay there.

But overall, with no effective way to moderate murder it overcomes everything in the end.

I laughed when I got knifed this morning in ducks.........it was so stupid and expected I laughed!!!

By The Way.....I made the next group that shows up some compost and I threw the carrot crown out into the swamp.

And thank you Eve Peace.....it was a nice 37 minute life I had.

#21 2018-05-09 11:23:06

breezeknight

the option in itself to murder is not the problem
but
the helplessness of the victim, cause there is no other option than to run away
the easiness to murder with only one strike

here my current suggestion https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … ited_time/
will be probably again met either with total ignorance or useless complaints how hard it will become to murder murderers after this would be implemented
so the murder situation won't improve, well, change at all, until Jason decides finally that the time of victimization of his peaceful players should meet its end

but maybe now back to topic

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-05-09 11:23:26)

#22 2018-05-09 12:26:04

TrustyWay

JS wrote:

Murder is part of the game? OK.

However, it is the opinion that a murderer needs a proper penalty.

If the user simply wants a game for murder, then FPS.

If the user wants to break down the work that others have done, there are Dominoes and Legos.
There are many games that support medieval sieges or large-scale battles.

There is not enough penalty to slow down after committing murder.
In reality, murderers are wanted and stigmatized.

In ancient times, if a murderer deliberately kills someone, there was a culture in which the entire victim 's family tracked the murderer.

If the stigma penalty is excessive, what about the hunger penalty?
If the killer does not know the hunger for a while, or if the food gauge is cut, it is a good enough penalty.
For example, a murderer does not feel hunger with adrenaline. (Not accurate)

You have enough time to kill them, you're just slow sry hmm there have been enough nerf, and griefing is worst than killing, do you really want people to grief back, which is way worst than killing ?

I dont think you get the game, which is about us doing things as having guards and finding solution, not jason putting hundreds of penalties because players don't feel safe. Hunger penalty is already there, you want a second hunger penalty ? You are not supposed to feel safe, you are supposed to have a hard time. You can leave town, but town people never do that.

There is the 2hol server if you want a murder free server, or even minecraft. You told it yourself you can play another game.

#23 2018-05-10 04:24:07

JS

First of all, I agree that the sheriff is punishing the troller.

My opinion is to supplement the balance properly.

Games made by giant corporations are also constantly balancing.

When corruption updates were made, users were not opposed to corruption.
Users were feeling bored and tired because the balance of corruption was out of balance.
After supplementing the balance, the users increased again.

Although the murder penalty has increased over the past, I still feel I need more.

I even think Apocalypse updates are okay.
(If supplementing too easy apocalypse)

I can not agree with the opinion that murder is better than Troller.

I think the sheriff for village and self defense is not a murderer.

Most killers are trolls.
Most killers do not work productively.
They only enjoy easy trolls.

Board footer