One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-28 18:49:16

danger1penguin

Persistent Griefer

So I was born to a relatively new village a few hours ago. I spent several lifetimes there and my first daughter passed me down a knife in a later life. The bag i wore it with broke and someone picked up the knife. As I died of old age I had just got a rumor of a murder. We were a big town at this point so I wasn't too worried, but I felt as though it was my fault. I kept respawning till I got back and was murdered in a murder spree (this time I noticed there were about four knives and a bow). I eventually got back as one of the only daughters, but my mother was too panicked and didn't name me. After some years I was old enough to carry a knife and managed to kill the last griefer (there were like four at that point, probably two people total). I grew up alone, but then a relative came back with a cart and she had a name. I had ensured she raised a girl, and the griefers kept spawning to her and running away, but one eventually stayed. The mom died but did name the girl and i raised her. Unfortunately, one of the two girls I decided to keep was a griefer and came back and killed her. I didn't see it but my other girl did, and the killer ran off. When the killer came back I killed her but not until after she killed her sister. I was alone again. At this point i didnt care though, I didn't want another daughter, I just wanted the name to continue but it died with my sister's daughter. The griefers werent done tho. Some random girl came out of the swamp and as I asked her where her mom was she stabbed me. I laughed and told her thank you. I was done wasting time on a village that people had worked hard for and torn apart by soulless people who are sociopaths in real life.

#2 2018-04-28 19:30:23

kubassa
Banned

Re: Persistent Griefer

LOL I love it. You guys got owned.

Better be ready for war in this game. You can call it griefing but it's actually war. Some people want to be the king/queen of the village and take the crown by force. Just like IRL. Why was there 4 knives anyway. Obviously your parent was killing people. These people that say 'too many have to kill some boys' I make sure to spawn as a girl and kill them all. Serves them right.

Last edited by kubassa (2018-04-28 19:32:23)

I got huge ballz.

#3 2018-04-28 19:55:57

YAHG

kubassa wrote:

Better be ready for war in this game. You can call it griefing but it's actually war. Some people want to be the king/queen of the village and take the crown by force. Just like IRL. Why was there 4 knives anyway. Obviously your parent was killing people. These people that say 'too many have to kill some boys' I make sure to spawn as a girl and kill them all. Serves them right.

I like it.
MAYBE if you kill someone they don't get born to you for an hour or more though..

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#4 2018-04-28 20:07:21

kubassa
Banned

YAHG wrote:
kubassa wrote:

I like it.
MAYBE if you kill someone they don't get born to you for an hour or more though..

Maybe the other way. If you kill someone you can not be born near them for a wile. Then a baby can't kill 5 die and re spawn in that same community. Your way makes no sense.

I got huge ballz.

#5 2018-04-28 20:31:39

danger1penguin

kubassa wrote:

Interesting point of view. Id like to note we didnt have a crown and the only nonrelative we ever saw was the one that killed me in the very end so if it was war it was civil. I think you are taking it a bit too personally about killing the people doing pop control. I havent done it yet but I should, because as often as griefers kill a village so does overpopulation.

Like the other posts, I agree there should be an arrangement where you cant respawn to the same family if you killed someone who has not killed before. To make this work, if someone in the family does not have a name, you can kill them and not be punished post mortum. This way you can kill babies (I don’t know why) or outsiders as a family unit. This would also increase the value of the meaning of a family name. Griefers would only have to be killed once. ADDITIONALLY, JASON NEEDS TO HIDE COORDINATES FROM THE CLIENT! That last griefer should not have been able to track me down, even though I didnt care in that situation there are times where that matters all too much.

#6 2018-04-28 21:07:22

Uncle Gus

I think knowing the coordinates is an exploit as well. It can be fairly easily obfuscated too, so I might log a suggestion on github for it.

#7 2018-04-28 21:32:45

kubassa
Banned

danger1penguin wrote:
kubassa wrote:

Interesting point of view. Id like to note we didnt have a crown and the only nonrelative we ever saw was the one that killed me in the very end so if it was war it was civil. I think you are taking it a bit too personally about killing the people doing pop control. I havent done it yet but I should, because as often as griefers kill a village so does overpopulation.

Like the other posts, I agree there should be an arrangement where you cant respawn to the same family if you killed someone who has not killed before. To make this work, if someone in the family does not have a name, you can kill them and not be punished post mortum. This way you can kill babies (I don’t know why) or outsiders as a family unit. This would also increase the value of the meaning of a family name. Griefers would only have to be killed once. ADDITIONALLY, JASON NEEDS TO HIDE COORDINATES FROM THE CLIENT! That last griefer should not have been able to track me down, even though I didnt care in that situation there are times where that matters all too much.

No one has 'griefed' anyone, Your opinion of what griefing is, is different then the next person. Thus meaning your opinion is subjective. Your argument is moot my friend kids kill their parents all the time IRL just as parent kill their babies. I vote everyone kill you for thinking you get to decide who gets killed. Just be ready to fight at all times. Trust no one.

If the person spawn out of your family then there is no way that he ran to you using coords. Right now the spawn are too far to run in one life. Tens of thousands of tiles away.

P.S.
The crown was a metaphor.

Uncle Gus wrote:

I think knowing the coordinates is an exploit as well. It can be fairly easily obfuscated too, so I might log a suggestion on github for it.

Definitely not an exploit. The game is open source anyone can read anything in the folders.

Exploiting would be duping things in the game or running faster then you can normally.

Last edited by kubassa (2018-04-28 21:43:54)

I got huge ballz.

#8 2018-04-28 22:07:31

YAHG

kubassa wrote:
YAHG wrote:
kubassa wrote:

I like it.

Maybe the other way. If you kill someone you can not be born near them for a wile. Then a baby can't kill 5 die and re spawn in that same community. Your way makes no sense.

I was thinking like if you defeat someone who is griefing you they should
have to be a an outsider if they want to attack you again. Having to kill
psycho the reincarnating baby is a lil rough I think as there isn't anything
other than giving your friends a code character to utter to know they are
not the repeat killer.

Interplayer conflict is fun and fine but it has to be possible to defend
against people who have it out for you, when they can just be reborn
to you endlessly it is kinda imba in their favor.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein

#9 2018-04-28 22:12:56

kubassa
Banned

YAHG wrote:
kubassa wrote:
YAHG wrote:

I like it.

I was thinking like if you defeat someone who is griefing you they should
have to be a an outsider if they want to attack you again. Having to kill
psycho the reincarnating baby is a lil rough I think as there isn't anything
other than giving your friends a code character to utter to know they are
not the repeat killer.

Interplayer conflict is fun and fine but it has to be possible to defend
against people who have it out for you, when they can just be reborn
to you endlessly it is kinda imba in their favor.

griefing is SUBJECTIVE. What bothers you may not bother someone else. Who are you to decide who dies?

I got huge ballz.

#10 2018-04-28 22:18:54

nofaz

kubassa wrote:

Wish we could have nicknames, associated with our accounts, so grievers wouldn't be able to keep hiding under anonymity. That's the only reason they are able to do this, its people who can't play as a community and take others success as a personal insult.

Just played 1 mmo (Anarchy Online) for real in my life, spending more than 300 days online and reputation was everything, dunno about others but in this game would matter alot, maybe this could be implemented just in some servers, making an effort to separate PvE from PvP.

And what is the fun in destroying the hard work of dozens players, and try to excuse because you're being abandoned as a baby? You must be the most sensitive person in this planet, if someone pick the carrot you needed to survive, you also going to kill the entire village next time you spawn there?

Seriously I'm just curious about this childish behavior, what kind of kicks you get from it? you also like to torture small animals in RL?

kubassa wrote:

griefing is SUBJECTIVE. What bothers you may not bother someone else. Who are you to decide who dies?

Can you even realize the irony in your statement?

Last edited by nofaz (2018-04-28 22:21:17)

With blood and Honor

#11 2018-04-28 22:26:46

YAHG

Who are you to decide who dies?

Beating them in combat and wits lets you decide who dies..
Them be able to respawn as your baby after you beat them OVER AND OVER is dumb. Let them be near spawn Eve and make weapons to raid.

Killing a village from within is easymode anyways. If you fail should be some way to banish you for a while.

#12 2018-04-28 22:40:47

Angel Carrillo

Hey, war will happen.
NOW BRING ON THE TOOL-WEAPONS AND SHEILDS!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Angel Carrillo (2018-04-29 01:12:48)

#13 2018-04-28 22:57:37

kubassa
Banned

Angel Carrillo wrote:

Hey, war will happen.

+1

I got huge ballz.

#14 2018-04-28 23:00:05

danger1penguin

Kubassa, I know this never works, but chill out man. We are trying to openly discuss the flaws we see. I understood your metaphor, but my point was that there was nothing of value to be stolen from the town. It was a shitshow because half the tiles were filled with bloody corpses that couldnt be moved. Sure children kill people all the time, but it isnt the same kid reincarnated doing all the killing, otherwise Im sure we wouldnt be here discussing this right now. If you actually read the other threads jason did talk about hiding the coordinates from players. Even though it is open source, he can certainly make it a lot harder if not impossible on his servers.

Anyways, take a breather, realize that its okay that we have different opinions, and then choose whether you want to continue discussing with us. Personally, I think it would be a lot more reasonable if a murderer couldnt be able to terrorize your village until it completely dies even though it takes multiple attempts where they actually are defeated.

The griefer has no value in their life. If they die, they can respawn and continue to do harm until the village becomes unrepairable. A person who intends good can not do the same. Once the final reproductive mother is gone, they have no chance at repairing the village. Im not saying they should, but the griefer needs to be limited to not give them the advantage in this situation. Like nofaz said, its ironic that you think i cant call someone a griefer because everyone has their own opinion... xD. Alright, ill be around, hope jason does something about this for all of us that see this as a flaw smile

#15 2018-04-28 23:11:23

kubassa
Banned

danger1penguin wrote:

Kubassa, I know this never works, but chill out man. We are trying to openly discuss the flaws we see. I understood your metaphor, but my point was that there was nothing of value to be stolen from the town. It was a shitshow because half the tiles were filled with bloody corpses that couldnt be moved. Sure children kill people all the time, but it isnt the same kid reincarnated doing all the killing, otherwise Im sure we wouldnt be here discussing this right now. If you actually read the other threads jason did talk about hiding the coordinates from players. Even though it is open source, he can certainly make it a lot harder if not impossible on his servers.

Anyways, take a breather, realize that its okay that we have different opinions, and then choose whether you want to continue discussing with us. Personally, I think it would be a lot more reasonable if a murderer couldnt be able to terrorize your village until it completely dies even though it takes multiple attempts where they actually are defeated.

The griefer has no value in their life. If they die, they can respawn and continue to do harm until the village becomes unrepairable. A person who intends good can not do the same. Once the final reproductive mother is gone, they have no chance at repairing the village. Im not saying they should, but the griefer needs to be limited to not give them the advantage in this situation. Like nofaz said, its ironic that you think i cant call someone a griefer because everyone has their own opinion... xD. Alright, ill be around, hope jason does something about this for all of us that see this as a flaw smile

I think your opinion of what a griefer is much different then mine. "WE" why are to chatting like you have a majority of people agreeing with you? You can speak for yourself but not others. The only problem is people cry about everything. Everything in some shape or form someone says it is griefing. Who are you to decide who is griefing anyway? Are you the server police so you can kill who you want because to you he is griefing? Maybe just grow up a bit and realize it is just a game.

I do not see a problem as you put it. I see a bunch of dumb noobs standing there in place getting killed.

Last edited by kubassa (2018-04-28 23:15:49)

I got huge ballz.

#16 2018-04-28 23:40:10

YAHG

kubassa wrote:

Are you the server police so you can kill who you want because to you he is griefing?

Yes..

#17 2018-04-29 00:15:36

nofaz

kubassa wrote:

I think your opinion of what a griefer is much different then mine. "WE" why are to chatting like you have a majority of people agreeing with you? You can speak for yourself but not others. The only problem is people cry about everything. Everything in some shape or form someone says it is griefing. Who are you to decide who is griefing anyway? Are you the server police so you can kill who you want because to you he is griefing? Maybe just grow up a bit and realize it is just a game.

I do not see a problem as you put it. I see a bunch of dumb noobs standing there in place getting killed.

So you're a pro because can kill other players, others are noobs because they die... This game has 2 kinds of people, the ones that contribute to the advancement of their settlement even knowing that they don't own anything, or that they will enjoy the hard work next time they spawn, and the others (grievers??) that only consume resources. If you want to worn a crown, make it yourself and see if people fallow your orders, that is pro. Getting your hands in one of the 2 possible weapons and kill people thats being n00b.

With blood and Honor

#18 2018-04-29 00:41:51

Redhawk

I purchased the game largely based on a few YouTube videos but also because of the written statement on the home page about playing a small part in something that continues.  Maybe my reading comprehension sucks but it seemed to imply building a legacy, civilization.....something positive and moving forward.  Unchecked griefing and other assorted shitplay doesn't seem to fit.

The developer also seems to imply somehow we are suppose to band together as a community to regulate "murder" and other undesirable (uncivilized acts), town guards, rules, blue dye for clothes (police) etc. have been mentioned in some form.

The mechanics of the game do not support structured hierarchy that is complex enough to bring this player driven order, short life spans, language barriers, constant activity to fend off starvation and advance  (a wee little bit) etc.

further more certain individuals seem to take great delight in the freedom to pretty much screw other peoples play styles that don't agree with theirs..........you see it scattered throughout this forum.

If you want to run around and kill people for no reason other than you are socially maladjusted, maybe try one of the battlefield games.......you know, a game where you kill people for no apparent reason.

#19 2018-04-29 00:49:45

nofaz

Redhawk wrote:

If you want to run around and kill people for no reason other than you are socially maladjusted, maybe try one of the battlefield games.......you know, a game where you kill people for no apparent reason.

He can't other players are aware and have weapons to defend themselves, he only can get a kick here because people are "defenseless" and don't fight back, why you think he feels like a pro and who dies is a noob

With blood and Honor

#20 2018-04-29 00:52:54

kubassa
Banned

nofaz wrote:
Redhawk wrote:

He can't other players are aware and have weapons to defend themselves, he only can get a kick here because people are "defenseless" and don't fight back, why you think he feels like a pro and who dies is a noob

All I am reading is crying.

Here is a tidbit for you.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WylITUECR4

As I watched that....  my certainty grew and grew.  That's definitely not the game that I ever wanted to make.

The fact that my game was like that several weeks ago was an accident on my part.

So there it is by the man himself.... Didn't want big cities with lots of stuff everywhere. So I guess, in a way, I was the actual server police making sure people are NOT over building. Get wrecked.

Last edited by kubassa (2018-04-29 00:53:50)

I got huge ballz.

#21 2018-04-29 01:00:34

TrustyWay

When mass murderers start killing, people shit their pants instead of rushing weapons and when they have the weapon in hands they stress so much they mistake. Even worst if they are new players, you can , try. Even try to take them from the ground if they drop it. I have been killed once which somebody tricking me by look liking a newby and putting it on the ground, but it is very rare, if you feel enough try. If the trick is visible, dont try come back later.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-04-29 02:21:47)

#22 2018-04-29 01:01:53

Uncle Gus

kubassa wrote:
Uncle Gus wrote:

Definitely not an exploit. The game is open source anyone can read anything in the folders.

Exploiting would be duping things in the game or running faster then you can normally.

I get the feeling that if it was meant to be apparent to everyone, then Jason would have just put it in the GUI. It seems incongruous that you would appear in the wild, butt nekkid, with no technology available, having to pick up stones to work with, yet you know exactly where you are at all times.

#23 2018-04-29 01:01:54

nofaz

kubassa wrote:

So there it is by the man himself.... Didn't want big cities with lots of stuff everywhere. So I guess, in a way, I was the actual server police making sure people are NOT over building. Get wrecked.

Yes the clusterfucker of random items everywhere, making an axe and that item last 10000000 generations, everyone understood that message, the game should be hard to survive against the environment, and you interpreted your selfish way, and started sabotage hard working settlements because you're abandoned as a baby.

With blood and Honor

#24 2018-04-29 01:07:35

Finrael

I actually like kubasa's posts. You can click on his name, show all post and read a little. It reflects half or maybe most of the griefers personality and mindset. You see anger, jealousy , overflowing emotions and satisfaction while destroying stuff.
I am not saying thats something bad with him, it's just interesting from psychological point of view:
Underdeveloped personality.

#25 2018-04-29 01:10:45

Alleria

kubassa wrote:

Complete faggotry. Even after all your hours, you still have no fucking clue what this game is about.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

Board footer