One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-26 10:47:32

Aname

Game is dying

nothing more nothing less

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#2 2018-04-26 11:00:01

jord1990

Re: Game is dying

Although you do have the freedom to express your thoughts please keep them to 1 forum thread.

#3 2018-04-26 11:05:56

TrustyWay

Huge players drop, bots, not even hard or hardcore tedious and boring work. Rich to rags to nothing

Seems like game is dying indeed.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-04-26 11:07:02)

#4 2018-04-26 11:20:00

jord1990

Not all your post got deleted buddy, just the ones you spammed over and over. I am gonna ask you to stop shit posting one more time. Keep your game dying related stuff to this topic please.

#5 2018-04-26 11:20:25

Drakulon

There is always hope.
I think the main problem is that Jason thinks that if player cant deal with the situation they are not good enough,
instead of questioning what he is doing.

A good example, from this thread https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1310:

jasonrohrer wrote:

Eve is supposed to be uncommon, but on the other hand, I have not control over how common it is.

He made this command in a thread where he explains how the new spawning algorithm changes how likely it is for an eve to spawn next to another village
or how likely it is for an eve to spawn in an area where most resources are already depleted, which obviously influences how many eves spawn.

But ofcourse noone likes to be wrong, i am sure all this hate he is recieving now is difficult for him and he might again think its the players fault.
Please watch this jason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEDEQDk2rB8
Normally i would not recommend people to watch pewdiepie but it fits so well here.

#6 2018-04-26 11:30:24

TrustyWay

Everybody makes mistake and I think he is confusing playerbase crying and few people crying.

He excepts us to be super hoomans or super moms but *tedious* is the word of the update.

Even on discord and the people who break the 111 gen record are annoyed by the newest update or stop playing.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-04-26 11:33:18)

#7 2018-04-26 11:30:27

breezeknight

get real people

if you're not happy with a game developed by one person only, go somewhere else,
most games are developed by teams, so plenty of games to choose from, right ?

& if you think a game should be developed by teams only, then do it yourself, get yourself a team & make a better game than OHOL tongue

#8 2018-04-26 11:37:07

TrustyWay

breezeknight wrote:

get real people

if you're not happy with a game developed by one person only, go somewhere else,
most games are developed by teams, so plenty of games to choose from, right ?

& if you think a game should be developed by teams only, then do it yourself, get yourself a team & make a better game than OHOL tongue

The old "he can do what he wants" argument is has been now. He can shit all over us yes, but it doesnt mean we have to enjoy the game because that's how he made it. We are expressing our opinions and try to make the game better, not being slaves of what is happening

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-04-26 11:38:41)

#9 2018-04-26 11:51:02

breezeknight

yeah, i say it again

GET REAL

i think Jason should take a break from Discord, it's too stressful, i am not on Discord for that very reason
i am old enough to know tongue

@TrustyWay
Jason is also not a slave of complaining players, right ?

#10 2018-04-26 11:53:35

Potjeh

Oh wow. You guys are really burning out Jason quick. Jason, you really need to take a day or two to rest, this ain't good for you.

#11 2018-04-26 11:56:31

TrustyWay

breezeknight wrote:

@TrustyWay

I told he shouldn't care when few players are complaining but when there are many players complaining, he maybe should check why so many people took disinterest in the game.

#12 2018-04-26 11:57:59

Potjeh

IMO like half the complaints about decay could be satisfied by just adding a new container that's a much longer lasting alternative to basket.

#13 2018-04-26 11:59:52

jord1990

I have to agree with Potjeh that this attitude is certainly not gonna, all you do is a stress to the equation. Why do you think jason has pretty much ignored the topic for a while now?

#14 2018-04-26 12:01:13

Babipoki

OHOL is sort of an MMO; at least the MO part of it? And when we're forced to switch to custom server because the update made the game uninteresting, and we paid for the game the way it was heading towards, are the players really to blame? neutral

#15 2018-04-26 12:05:17

Drakulon

palisade thanks for posting this images, i also want to see the game succeed, i spent 20$ for this.

Jason is saying he poured his life into this game the last week and how much he is doing for us.
But he is not working on charity organization and this game is not free to play.
I am sure he gained ALOT of money by doing this game.
The people who spent this money were expecting something from it.
If this game would be free to play he would receive much less hate.
Its very difficult for me to feel sorry for his rich ass smile

#16 2018-04-26 12:07:11

breezeknight

TrustyWay wrote:
breezeknight wrote:

@TrustyWay

I told he shouldn't care when few players are complaining but when there are many players complaining, he maybe should check why so many people took disinterest in the game.

i complained or better said, gave negative feedback about the murderers before the decay update
after that update there's less murders, so it was a good thing
the decay is maybe too strong but that can be fixed if necessary

the game is in development, there are enough other games to play, no need to hang around here all the time & complain that the game is boring & limited
if you are unsatisfied, get refund & come back to see how the game is doing in a year
i dumped way more money into other games that were released as completed but then weren't

#17 2018-04-26 12:10:02

TrustyWay

Babipoki wrote:

OHOL is sort of an MMO; at least the MO part of it? And when we're forced to switch to custom server because the update made the game uninteresting, and we paid for the game the way it was heading towards, are the players really to blame? neutral

Yeah right. We can't blame players for everything, we are not all 12 y/o lazy and whinny imps. We are humans. Look at update survey, isn't like 2 people voted but more than 170 players.

#18 2018-04-26 12:10:02

jord1990

Drakulon wrote:

palisade thanks for posting this images, i also want to see the game succeed, i spent 20$ for this.

Jason is saying he poured his life into this game the last week and how much he is doing for us.
But he is not working on charity organization and this game is not free to play.
I am sure he gained ALOT of money by doing this game.
The people who spent this money were expecting something from it.
If this game would be free to play he would receive much less hate.
Its very difficult for me to feel sorry for his rich ass smile

Lol rich ass? you get that hes been working for 3 years on the game right, and with the amount of hours he puts in its not like hes making 1000 dollars for every hour of work.

#19 2018-04-26 12:21:02

breezeknight

what i also don't understand is that some of you complain that you're unable to do legacies
but what is the point of legacies if there are no family trees in the game ?
i don't think that the current state of the game is about legacies at all, it's more just about survival & learning to be more efficient, more is not there
building more of those monstroCities, that was not my fun, i get it that it was fun for many players but that called then for griefers & murderers & in effect for complaints as well

#20 2018-04-26 12:39:21

breezeknight

palisade wrote:
breezeknight wrote:

what i also don't understand is that some of you complain that you're unable to do legacies
but what is the point of legacies if there are no family trees in the game ?
i don't think that the current state of the game is about legacies at all, it's more just about survival & learning to be more efficient, more is not there
building more of those monstroCities, that was not my fun, i get it that it was fun for many players but that called then for griefers & murderers & in effect for complaints as well

The premise of the game (look at the video at the bottom of onehouronelife.com: https://youtu.be/nu8d3iW2yxM) is that our lives our meaningless except what we leave behind for others, to build upon in the future. And, that we will never realize the full impact of all that we have wrought for those that come after us.

The game was sort of like that pre-decay update. Now it is just a sprint straight into the dust at our feet. An example of true meaninglessness, with nothing truly left behind or carried on into the future. No advancement, no progeny, leaving nothing of worth behind for them to carry onward, and no legacy.

There are some of us who aren't okay with that.

yes
& that's what i am experiencing now in the game, after the decay update
there are remnants of things other people made before i've got there
played exactly that way today two times as Eve arriving in a dead settlement, way better than the nothingness of the deadlands i usually spawn into
& i played also as baby several times in settlements, so again remains of the people before me & since i am trying to be cosntructive so i leave something for the people after me

pre decay it was plastered with monstroCities, so damn boring because every thing needed was there, nothing to do than spawn babies
& what it called for was murderers & griefers
i was once in such a town with another player who came running & telling me that someone griefed all the berry bushes, i realised quickly that it was he himself lol
he was very proud of himself at last doing something with this town, this was quite a boring thing

as Jason said
the game changes & the gameplay will change
as long Jason stays on board, everything will be ok, because he cares
i cannot say that much about many games i had hoped for that they will be improved
it hurts to see a good idea stay unfinished because the devs don't stay on board, so that's the most important part
& complaining is not the best way to motivate a dev to stay on board, positive feedback is probably better

i think many players had some other expectations about OHOL, which were never intended to be nurtured, but that's how it is with games in development
most games nowadays are this way, i played so many games meantime this way, Early Access, mobile, live service ... i learned to have fun as long it lasts & if i am not satisfied with the current situation then to take a break for at least half a year & then come back & see how the game is doing, this helps

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-26 12:41:44)

#21 2018-04-26 13:52:19

ConfandibulumFlakes

Hi guys, only been playing a couple days, but a couple things are obvious to me.

This game is going to sink or swim based on its players, not on Jason. This is very serious.

For the game to survive it's going to rely on dedicated players building, maintaining, and defending a culture of cooperation.

Let's put it this way: a good civilization needs good mothers. The emphasis on child-rearing is there in the game but not quite there in the players. Of the many many many times I've spawned, I've only once had a mother who did anything more for me than raise me out of childhood. Only once had a mother who tried to tell me "here's how you do this, here's how you do that."

For people who know what they're doing, it may seem like giving training to babies that might be experienced players is silly. But ultimately that training is not going to be about simple crafting and survival training.

Ultimately that training is going to be about culture.

For civilizations to survive is going to take a culture of cooperation, where efforts are not duplicated and no one's time is wasted. And that's going to require specialization of tasks, and that's going to require a system of communication that has nothing to do with the game's inherent UI, and that system of cooperation will probably vary from civilization to civilization, and newborns, no matter their experience level, will need to be taught the customs of the civilization they spawn into.

How is food collected and distributed? How is defense coordinated, how are weapons distributed, how are tasks assigned? How do we ensure the most efficient training of young in the latest and most necessary crafting skills? For a society as a whole to progress quickly, we can't have everybody trying to learn every recipe. We can't have people all making their own baskets, or clothes, or knives.

To accomplish coordination in these matters is going to require the development and continuation of actual civilizations with actual customs and an actual process for dividing tasks and an actual culture of childrearing that passes on those customs and processes to the newborn.

And players are failing at this ridiculously. Even in the most sophisticated settlements I've been born into, when I was old enough to ask "what do I do" the only answer I got was "help."

That's what's unsustainable, not any mechanism in the game.

For a truly great civilization, when a baby is born its mother will not just raise it, but try to find out what tasks it wants to do or learn, and help it find the person coordinating those tasks, and teach it the etiquette by which that particluar civilization assures that resources are equitably shared. A civlization lives and dies on cooperation. And cooperation lives and dies on childrearing, on the mother educating the young--even if they're experienced players--on how that particular civilization gets things done.

Developing and maintaining cultures will be the key to enjoying this game and helping newcomers quickly realize the massive potential and fun of the game. And that's not on Jason. That's on us.

Only in my most recent incarnation have I made an effort to create some organized cooperation in the crowd that I was born into. When I was old enough to talk I said "farm," indicating I knew how to farm, and then I started suggesting to a nearby person that we split tasks, with him getting water and me keeping the fields fertilized. But basically all I could say at that age was "I farm" and "you get water."

His reaction? He said "dumb bitch" and shot me with an arrow. This is a person who was otherwise helping the town grow. The mere suggestion of coordinated effort got me ruthlessly killed. And where was my mother? She was off doing things on her own, just like everybody else, trying to willy-nilly build a settlement by just hoping that everybody doing everything on their own would somehow build something lasting. Feh.

What lasts is culture. Create culture, and pass it down through child-rearing, or perish.

And not just perish in-game, but also in retention of new players. And thus, ultimately, perishes the game itself.

#22 2018-04-26 13:57:08

Potjeh

IMO main problem there is that you can't form a proper sentence till you're like 40. And with the way hunger works ain't nobody got time to watch you speak one or two words at a time. I tried to give my kids specific jobs as an Eve, but explaining it takes longer than doing it myself so I just gave up.

Last edited by Potjeh (2018-04-26 13:58:12)

#23 2018-04-26 13:59:08

Babipoki

ConfandibulumFlakes wrote:

Hi guys, only been playing a couple days, but a couple things are obvious to me.

This game is going to sink or swim based on its players, not on Jason. This is very serious.

For the game to survive it's going to rely on dedicated players building, maintaining, and defending a culture of cooperation.

Let's put it this way: a good civilization needs good mothers. The emphasis on child-rearing is there in the game but not quite there in the players. Of the many many many times I've spawned, I've only once had a mother who did anything more for me than raise me out of childhood. Only once had a mother who tried to tell me "here's how you do this, here's how you do that."

For people who know what they're doing, it may seem like giving training to babies that might be experienced players is silly. But ultimately that training is not going to be about simple crafting and survival training.

Ultimately that training is going to be about culture.

For civilizations to survive is going to take a culture of cooperation, where efforts are not duplicated and no one's time is wasted. And that's going to require specialization of tasks, and that's going to require a system of communication that has nothing to do with the game's inherent UI, and that system of cooperation will probably vary from civilization to civilization, and newborns, no matter their experience level, will need to be taught the customs of the civilization they spawn into.

How is food collected and distributed? How is defense coordinated, how are weapons distributed, how are tasks assigned? How do we ensure the most efficient training of young in the latest and most necessary crafting skills? For a society as a whole to progress quickly, we can't have everybody trying to learn every recipe. We can't have people all making their own baskets, or clothes, or knives.

To accomplish coordination in these matters is going to require the development and continuation of actual civilizations with actual customs and an actual process for dividing tasks and an actual culture of childrearing that passes on those customs and processes to the newborn.

And players are failing at this ridiculously. Even in the most sophisticated settlements I've been born into, when I was old enough to ask "what do I do" the only answer I got was "help."

That's what's unsustainable, not any mechanism in the game.

For a truly great civilization, when a baby is born its mother will not just raise it, but try to find out what tasks it wants to do or learn, and help it find the person coordinating those tasks, and teach it the etiquette by which that particluar civilization assures that resources are equitably shared. A civlization lives and dies on cooperation. And cooperation lives and dies on childrearing, on the mother educating the young--even if they're experienced players--on how that particular civilization gets things done.

Developing and maintaining cultures will be the key to enjoying this game and helping newcomers quickly realize the massive potential and fun of the game. And that's not on Jason. That's on us.

Only in my most recent incarnation have I made an effort to create some organized cooperation in the crowd that I was born into. When I was old enough to talk I said "farm," indicating I knew how to farm, and then I started suggesting to a nearby person that we split tasks, with him getting water and me keeping the fields fertilized. But basically all I could say at that age was "I farm" and "you get water."

His reaction? He said "dumb bitch" and shot me with an arrow. This is a person who was otherwise helping the town grow. The mere suggestion of coordinated effort got me ruthlessly killed. And where was my mother? She was off doing things on her own, just like everybody else, trying to willy-nilly build a settlement by just hoping that everybody doing everything on their own would somehow build something lasting. Feh.

What lasts is culture. Create culture, and pass it down through child-rearing, or perish.

And not just perish in-game, but also in retention of new players. And thus, ultimately, perishes the game itself.

This is an old argument and this is how OHOL was a month ago. The talk is that the game became a chore, not a difficulty-based game. People are not complaining about game's playerbase here or being abandoned for not knowing the rules of survival here; it's a talk from other thread.

To sustain a playerbase, a game must turn back from being a chore. Game ~= Chore. It never was. No game in any universe is designed to be a chore unless you play it for a living competitively.

#24 2018-04-26 14:01:16

Potjeh

Wurm Online definitely seems designed to be a chore :]

#25 2018-04-26 14:13:00

breezeknight

palisade wrote:
breezeknight wrote:

as Jason said
the game changes & the gameplay will change
as long Jason stays on board, everything will be ok, because he cares
i cannot say that much about many games i had hoped for that they will be improved
it hurts to see a good idea stay unfinished because the devs don't stay on board, so that's the most important part
& complaining is not the best way to motivate a dev to stay on board, positive feedback is probably better

I have a problem with that line of thinking, and it is this:

1. Games are made for gamers.

2. If you don't get feedback how will a dev know if their changes work as intended and if customers are enjoying the game?

3. I think the op who started this thread is pointing out the obvious, the population of players has dwindled since the most recent update. Many of them didn't share their feedback and simply left. They may come back, they may not.

games are made for gamers but not every game is made for every gamer
& games in development often change the gameplay significantly

& in my experience it's dangerous for devs to hear what gamers have to say about the game in development, because those are different people with different needs & often not really compatible, it becomes especially dangerous if the game is not a known & well explored genre & OHOL belongs to those rare games where probably nobody, Jason included knows for sure what a genre it is or should be
OHOL has many very different aspects, & the game leaned heavily towards city builder/houses building in The Sims with the monstroCities before the apocalypse update, this means players who played the game before thought that this game will go straight this way & progress linear further as it has before
but those were expectations which are probably not what Jason has envisioned & with visions is the problem, you often know what will come out of it first after it comes out, maybe even wrong, then you know that it is not going the way of the vision & you try to correct it

if you look at the games Jason made before OHOL, then you can fathom what is interesting for him, if you then add to that Minecraft, then maybe you know it a little better

i think players of OHOL should keep an open mind & after an update pause a little & let the results of the update sink first before comparing the results to their illusionary expectations along what was imagined before the update

on reddit people have suggested decay, Jason made it possible, now others complain
yeah, you can't satisfy every player, that's the reality of games

& the population of the game has dwindled already since i started to look at it, it is now since two weeks something between 70 & 150, on weekends more, on workdays less, we'll see how it develops

i think the most important is that Jason sticks to his own vision, no matter what, the vision is the most crucial part to keep this game, any game going well, not what people are complaining about
the vision is the most important, it has to lead the way, because it is the beacon in unknown, unexplored terrain

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-26 14:14:09)

Board footer