One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-24 05:31:57

AstroTitan

We Need a Dedicated Beta Server!

Now that server cap has been raised to 200, only 3-4 of the 15 servers are used at all. Heck, I check the reflector stats regularly and in the last two weeks I haven't seen over 200 total players playing the game at one time.

What if one of these unused servers became a beta server that allowed Jason and players to preview how updates will effect the state of the game. A separate beta client could be downloadable for those that want to participate and every Thursday the beta version becomes the live version.

Many people are upset when "game breaking" updates occur like the Apocalypse or Riches to Rags and many quit the game for good while leaving negative reviews. If a "stable" and enjoyable version of the game remained live on main servers everyone could keep playing and enjoying the game, while the beta server and those who choose to try out the upcoming changes would be able to give Jason enough feedback to fix the "game breaking" problems before they effect 90% of the player base. For a game of this size, that is reliant on server population to function, it is a very bad idea to force 100% of players to try something that has a high likelihood of making them dislike the game.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Apocalypse was a necessary step, and the decay changes are great in principle but had some serious bugs and unplanned negative impacts. I am fully supportive of many large and challenging gameplay changes going forward, but not if they keep making the game "unplayable" for the majority of the player-base. The few players that remain are either very loyal to Jason's vision of the game(me included), or new players that are being exposed to "broken gameplay" and as a result leaving bad reviews about wasting $20. If updates like these keep happening to live servers then this game will be completely dead in under 6 months due to community outrage and bad publicity. Jason, please don't let this game die!

I love this game so much that I have purchased it twice and have encouraged three others to purchase it. In my eyes this was all money well spent. However, given the current repeatedly "game breaking" update mechanism I cannot recommend it to anyone or even enjoy playing it myself. I paid for a finished game that promised "endless" expansions; however, it feels like I purchased a beta key to that game instead. If this is in fact a game in beta testing please advertise it as such, or risk significant negative reviews and a continued drop in concurrent players as more and more players are leaving disgruntled. OHOL has so much potential, and I want it to succeed, but I am probably taking a break until things get more stable...

#2 2018-04-24 05:38:01

Lily

Re: We Need a Dedicated Beta Server!

Makes sense to me. It would definitely smooth out some of the obvious flaws that would get caught early on.

#3 2018-04-24 05:50:04

YAHG

This is probably decent idea, at least legacy server. Granted I think the
folks running 2hol have been sticking to the old version.

One thing to consider is that you need to run the game on the players to
see if it is broken or too hard etc. The other night some folks on the official
discord and I were in one of the empty servers being born to each other
etc. and we managed to do just fine with the rags to riches update. Granted,
yes this was with voice chat and with only people who knew mostly how to
play, but you have to assume that the "beta" server would be full of similar
types of folks making it harder to judge if the settings are good for the wider
population of players.

Perhaps if the legacy server was opt in, but then again if that is the situation
with custom servers as is..

Interesting idea though dude.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#4 2018-04-24 05:55:23

AstroTitan

If anything you want your experienced players trying out the changes. If the game is designed to be as hard as possible, then it would make sense to test for what is possible and what isn't. Balancing will always be needed based on how the community handles the update, but 95% of the time truly dedicated players will be able to tell what is workable vs broken. Simple example, the fact that a Reed Basket decays way too fast but add a bit of string and you get a Reed Skirt that never decays. Simple issue/oversight, and easy to fix with some prior insight; but ugly, incomplete, and "broken" when it goes live for all players for an entire week.

Also it gives advanced players a place to experiment with the new content. So next time something like the Apocalypse Update happens, it is only the beta server that gets wiped every 5 hours.

Last edited by AstroTitan (2018-04-24 06:34:00)

#5 2018-04-24 06:28:55

YAHG

The skirt is obviously just something he missed, I seriously doubt he INTENDED them
to be forever lol.

All the bugs I have made in my lil maps and mods over the years... yeah there will always
be something wrong with what you make no matter how long you stare at it big_smile.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#6 2018-04-24 06:43:25

AstroTitan

That's the point. It was an easy to notice oversight that could have been corrected prior to live update if the community had a chance to give feedback. I also dabble in programming, and it is pretty standard practice to properly debug your code before you deliver it as a finished product.

Dedicated Beta Server = OHOL Community Debugger

#7 2018-04-24 06:44:26

SpreadDaWord

Agreed. It is necessary to keep the game nice and tidy.

#8 2018-04-24 08:21:09

lostlandofcarrots

I fully support this.

(Also, you might wanna post this suggestion on reddit as well?)

Edit: I just noticed, you already did. Forget I said anything, lol.

Last edited by lostlandofcarrots (2018-04-24 08:22:37)

Board footer