One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-21 19:37:32

Aurora Aurora

How to fix the decay update (Also a small rant)

Okay so the new update is just making everythign shit. I like the farming thing but the rest is pure shit. Heres some of my input on how to fix it!

Number 1 -

Make things decay much, much slower. Let's say I have a basket, right now baskets decay every 30 minutes and then they regenerate. Baskets and tools should decay after 60 - 90 years of use. As to not ruin organization and farming every 30 minutes.

Number 2 -

Make the items repearable. You can't do anything with broken items at the moment. Not even throw them in the pit. This makes huge amounts of trash that we cant get rid of. To prevent this items should be fixeable. Maybe add a toolbox that when combined with an item fixes it.

Number 3 -

STOP BREAKING OUR TOOLS AFTER LIKE 30 USES! I WOULD HAVE TO GO TROUGH 4 AXES AND 4 SHOVELS TO CLEAR A SWAMP FROM TREES!

I dont understand why Jason keeps making the game harder and harder even though everyone on the forum is telling him that it's absolutely not what we want! We want (at least most of us) small roleplaying trinkets, new animals, signs, adams and dads, and like a million other things that dont involve making the game almost unplayable because its so hard!

I am really salty about this, I just wanna have some roleplay fun and marry my brother but instead I have to survive as an eve every fuckign game trying to get to the bell of the same dying civilazation with rotting tools and a hardened farm every fucking game!

Last edited by Aurora Aurora (2018-04-21 19:38:22)

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#2 2018-04-21 19:40:31

stickyflypaper

Re: How to fix the decay update (Also a small rant)

Aurora Aurora wrote:

STOP BREAKING OUR TOOLS AFTER LIKE 30 USES! I WOULD HAVE TO GO TROUGH 4 AXES AND 4 SHOVELS TO CLEAR A SWAMP FROM TREES!

Ha. My skewer broke after 5 or less uses to fix the hardened soil.
I let myself starve to death after that.

#3 2018-04-21 19:56:53

lostlandofcarrots

I was one of the people that suggested decay, but I honestly never imagined it would be implemented this way. It's just so tedious, having to replace baskets all the time (I'm not mentioning tools solely because I never had the chance to use them since the update; for 2-3 hours now I've been spawning to Eves, or as an Eve, never having the chance to make any steel stuff because survival). I second the suggestion for slower decay and more uses per item, and definitely, *definitely* the one about repairing stuff. I don't know how one could implement a decay system without a repair system to complement it, and a way to dispose of broken stuff; it's a bad idea all around. And they should be repairable with fewer materials than they took to create; a baskets with only one reed/straw bundle, for example.

And there's a difference between a hard game, and a tedious, unplayable one. Unfortunately, I feel like OHOL is rapidly becoming the latter. And I say that as a person that generally enjoys more challenging games.

Last edited by lostlandofcarrots (2018-04-21 19:58:49)

#4 2018-04-21 20:03:07

Babsy

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Okay so the new update is just making everythign shit. I like the farming thing but the rest is pure shit. Heres some of my input on how to fix it!

Number 1 -

Make things decay much, much slower. Let's say I have a basket, right now baskets decay every 30 minutes and then they regenerate. Baskets and tools should decay after 60 - 90 years of use. As to not ruin organization and farming every 30 minutes.

Number 2 -

Make the items repearable. You can't do anything with broken items at the moment. Not even throw them in the pit. This makes huge amounts of trash that we cant get rid of. To prevent this items should be fixeable. Maybe add a toolbox that when combined with an item fixes it.

Number 3 -

I dont understand why Jason keeps making the game harder and harder even though everyone on the forum is telling him that it's absolutely not what we want! We want (at least most of us) small roleplaying trinkets, new animals, signs, adams and dads, and like a million other things that dont involve making the game almost unplayable because its so hard!

I am really salty about this, I just wanna have some roleplay fun and marry my brother but instead I have to survive as an eve every fuckign game trying to get to the bell of the same dying civilazation with rotting tools and a hardened farm every fucking game!

+1

#5 2018-04-21 20:04:10

Babsy

lostlandofcarrots wrote:

I was one of the people that suggested decay, but I honestly never imagined it would be implemented this way. It's just so tedious, having to replace baskets all the time (I'm not mentioning tools solely because I never had the chance to use them since the update; for 2-3 hours now I've been spawning to Eves, or as an Eve, never having the chance to make any steel stuff because survival). I second the suggestion for slower decay and more uses per item, and definitely, *definitely* the one about repairing stuff. I don't know how one could implement a decay system without a repair system to complement it, and a way to dispose of broken stuff; it's a bad idea all around. And they should be repairable with fewer materials than they took to create; a baskets with only one reed/straw bundle, for example.

And there's a difference between a hard game, and a tedious, unplayable one. Unfortunately, I feel like OHOL is rapidly becoming the latter. And I say that as a person that generally enjoys more challenging games.

+1

#6 2018-04-21 20:08:08

Finrael

Was looking for this kind of post.

I too want to suggest that decay system would be reworked. It's not bad that the decay exist, it add ons  some new depth, it's just the rate of decaying is frustrating, annoying and deletes all the fun of leaving something behind yourself.

Change decaying timers, thats all. It shouldn't be too hard.

For now, I myself don't see point playing in official servers.I feel like Jason is killing the game for casual players and it makes me so angry. I really liked the game for about two weeks and now i feel like thats it. There's no point.

#7 2018-04-21 20:22:48

kubassa
Banned

This game went from having fun to..... It blows. Revert decay. It sux.

I got huge ballz.

#8 2018-04-21 20:58:49

JackStuds

Aurora Aurora wrote:

I just wanna have some roleplay fun and marry my brother

I'll be the first to give you credit on this joke you slipped in there.

#9 2018-04-21 22:54:50

Fran

lostlandofcarrots wrote:

+1

#10 2018-04-22 02:25:58

Artarda

stickyflypaper wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

Ha. My skewer broke after 5 or less uses to fix the hardened soil.
I let myself starve to death after that.

Every skewer I used broke after one use.

#11 2018-04-22 02:39:15

Potjeh

Easier rope for all the tools we now need. A crop probably, maybe flax or hemp. Hemp could perhaps be craftable directly into rope so milkweed is still valuable (for sewing), and perhaps hemp could be processed into thread much later with some higher tech stuff.

#12 2018-04-22 03:21:55

sammoh

I am certain that decay will be tweaked. 2HOL will not be implementing the decay changes if you are looking for a different experience, with more focus on permanence and city building.

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#13 2018-04-22 03:23:26

FibreFlim

Potjeh wrote:

maybe flax or hemp..

Darn, missed 4/20 by one day with that hemp suggestion big_smile

"Life sucks, and then you die."
-Vinesauce Joel

#14 2018-04-22 03:23:31

Anshin

Speed up regrowth of everything.

It doesn't take 30-60 years for plants to regrow. Especially now with decay we need a more realistic regrowth time on everything.

Also:
Bamboo - edible shoots, or let grow for stalks to make baskets and all sorts of cheap short decay stuff (bowls, walls, furniture, etc.)
Definitely needs Hemp as @Potjeh suggested, makes strong fibers = rope directly.

#15 2018-04-22 03:46:12

EvilBlackCat

I agree very much except for the brother lovin'.

Slow decay to at least more than one generation. Otherwise what's the point of building things for the future generations?

Let us repair things.

Let us use broken baskets or other wood-like material as kindling.

#16 2018-04-22 10:33:45

YAHG

EvilBlackCat wrote:

I agree very much except for the brother lovin'.

Even Jesus tells you to love your brother lol, it is pretty tame <3

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#17 2018-04-22 11:03:21

Yuukinchi

I have to agree there hmm I keep getting killed as a baby because of how much work there is. The Update sucks. I don't wanna play the game until Jason removes Decay OR atleast makes it much easier! Decay is natural but seriously... it's too annoying and time consuming how it is now...

#18 2018-04-22 17:24:43

happynova

I know everybody and their (possibly incestuous) brother has posted opinions on the decay mechanic here, and maybe there's not a lot left to say, but I had some thoughts, so I figured I'd contribute my two cents.

The first thing is that during two almost back-to-back lives yesterday, something really struck me about it. The first time, I was born into a big town that had clearly been around for a long time, and the effects of decay seemed a bit over the top.  Baskets rotted out from under me ridiculously quickly as I tried to farm.  When I looked around for a needed implement, usually whatever I'd find would be broken.  I discovered, fatally, that the problem that makes it hard to get food out of a regular backpack when you have long hair makes it pretty much impossible to get anything out of a tiny decaying backpack.  It was beyond annoying; it was discouraging.  It felt almost hostile, and not exactly in a fun "challenge to survive" sort of way.

Then, I was born to an Eve who found us a fantastic spot, kept me alive until I had hair, and promptly died. I started a new settlement by myself, more quickly than I'd ever managed before because resources were so plentiful, and lived there for the rest of my life. I kept waiting for the horrible decay to cause problems for me, but by the time I died at 45 (stupid goddamn snakes), all that had happened was that the first two baskets my mom and I had made had gone floppy.  That felt entirely reasonable!  A perfectly fine and acceptable mechanic that made sense and didn't seem the least bit unfair!

And it got me thinking that, y'know, a lot of the issues with this game may be that Jason has the supremely unenviable task of trying to come up with mechanics that are going to apply in lots of different situations, and what may be perfectly good at one scale or for one kind of player seems broken for someone else in a different situation.

You see this with the whole super-experienced players vs. rank newbies thing, too.  Making things more interesting or challenging for people who are already expert, which is important to keep people engaged, makes it more difficult for new folks to ever get the hang of things, and can also make new players who haven't yet figured out how to contribute a fatal liability for everyone else's survival.

Me, I've only been around about three weeks, and while I've got the basics down -- farming, rabbit hunting, pie making, sewing, setting up a new farm as an Eve -- I don't know any of the more advanced stuff than that: forging, making walls, farming sheep.  I'd love to learn, but as things stand right now, with the survival of whatever community I'm in feeling constantly on the edge no matter how big or previously successful, I feel like I never have the luxury to go and experiment with the forge, or find someone to teach me the way someone in a secure, thriving civilization once taught me pie-making.  Because me doing that instead of doing something useful I already know how to do to might be the difference between survival and collapse.

I'm not sure that's a solvable problem, actually, and, again, I really don't envy Jason having to deal with it.  I also recognize that this is a game still under development, and I don't actually mind being part of the experiment as Jason tweaks things and figures it out as he goes.  That's honestly kind of interesting, even if the individual changes can be frustrating at times.  It's reassuring to know that things are subject to change, and what's frustrating me today isn't necessarily going to stay the same forever.  And, hey, even if it all ends up in a place I don't really care for, or all falls apart because it turns out to be fundamentally unworkable in the long run, I figure I've already gotten way more than $20 worth of entertainment out of this game.  So, no stompy "I WANT MY MONEY BACK" complaints from me, just some thoughts.

And, sorry.  That got long-winded.  I'm done now. smile

(Note: edited to fix a typo)

Last edited by happynova (2018-04-22 17:26:07)

#19 2018-04-22 17:49:31

Nimue

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Number 1 -

Number 2 -

Number 3 -

i agree with you, decay is fun at some point, the game cant be about just that as have turned, indeed the most fun of the game is small roleplays scenes that get scarce when there is no time otherwise things stop functioning in society, new animals and signs would be awesome, how many time and nerves could one spare just by having a sign "SEEDS" over a crop, its nice when things are organized and this new decay system is turning everything into chaos.

Board footer