One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-21 07:26:11

jdniff

server4.onehouronelife.com

Hey everyone, I'm interested in trying to build a constant community on server4. I was wondering if anyone would like to help out? My idea is to make a town that is easy to locate, has all the needed resources and can support a massive community. I understand griefers are an issue but we should also build the community so that they can enjoy playing as well. After all griefing is just another way to play, though not very constructive. For griefers we can have them build a community of raiders, like the Vikings or Mongolians were. We can build our town to priorities defense and have several guards on duty and let all citizens hold knives for self defense, unless you choose to be a pacifist.
We need large storage buildings for storing food, tools, and raw materials. Build dedicated buildings such as blacksmith, barn house(for horses and sheep), even a town square where the bell tower will be located. We should also organize our farms to be efficient as possible and have a dedicated seeding row. We also need to make the town easy to locate so that anyone joining the server can find it.

After we finish the first town we can move on to making another town using the resources we gather at the first town. The idea is to make a massive community that can supply a large population at any given time. We will also need living quarters for the players in the towns. The purpose of living quarters is to store food that will be eaten, since it would be counter productive to eat things straight out of the farms and anyone caught doing so will be punished. Every citizen should have access to a living quarters, clothes and backpacks, and lots of food. We can even make a delivery service to deliver these things.

Positions that will need filled are;
Builders - to construct the holding pens, houses, barns, nursery, bakery, blacksmith, and etc.
Farmers - for constructing farms and maintaining them. This includes milkweed farms.
Bakers - for baking gathered food goods and cooking food.
Nurses/Wetnurses - basically the spawn-point/caretaker of children and future generations(they will need a dedicated building too)
Gatherers - to gather resources from the surroundings(probably the most important) they will need to be split into groups, such as food gatherer, hunter, and natural resource gatherer.
Blacksmith - in charge of making all our tools.
Weaver - In charge of making anything requiring string aside from tools and perhaps carts(Maybe have a separate group that makes baskets and carts?)
City planner - for planning the layout of the city and making sure all groups are working efficiently(this is very important and will require a very confident player that understands the game well)
Protectors - to protect the players and city from unwanted guests and other such things, they will also help out the city planner in making sure everything is organised, they will also need to be
                  confident in their gaming skills and know how to play well.
Deliverer - very important job for carrying resources, materials, and crafted goods from one place to another. this job is to cut down the amount of work for the other jobs and they will always
                be busy, they will be the first people to receive shoes and high grade footwear as well as carts and baskets.
Griefers/marauders - it would be nice not to have any, but if there are some out there then we need to find a way to include them(after all it will give the protectors something fun to do) all I
                              ask is not to go crazy destroying stuff and doing things that will cause permanent damage. Such as plucking unripen milkweed, or moving soil and cutting down berry
                              bushes. As for murder and stealing, so long as it is done in a more constructive manor and not done excessively then its just apart of the game. Who knows, you may even
                              be able to take over a town and grow it yourself while dealing with rebelling forces.

Just note that this is all just an idea and nothing more at the moment, I need help from the community of OHOL to make this work. If you are a youtuber or videotuber then feel free to record this construction is we ever manage to start it. I don't mind taking a back seat in all of this, I just want to be apart of the construction of this community.
If we do construct a server4 community lets give it a name that will set it apart from the other servers! This doesn't have to be just my idea, everyone hop aboard!

#2 2018-04-21 07:27:12

jdniff

Re: server4.onehouronelife.com

We may also need to add time schedules if we have people filling in specific roles, but that will only be if we actually do this thing.

#3 2018-04-21 07:39:27

Sakkiyn

Most griefers prefer 5th column tactics. Getting them to engage in the standard four columns may prove impossible.

It would show they are able to actually play the game as opposed to just play against the game. But that would require them to build a foundation, they seem to only enjoy destroying not building.

They will cry that building is no fun, but in truth they lack the patience to build, as this requires boring repetition and killing (picking) carrots is not exciting enough a venture.

Such a thing might be possible with two teams on a private server.

But I wish you the best in your endeavours.

#4 2018-04-21 07:45:14

jdniff

Sakkiyn wrote:

.  .  .  .  It would show they are able to actually play the game as opposed to just play against the game. But that would require them to build a foundation, they seem to only enjoy destroying not building.

But I wish you the best in your endeavours.

Thanks, and you are right. But its just an idea, and not one that I intend to stress over. If not alot of people are interested then thats that.

Board footer