One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-21 06:34:00

Aurora Aurora

The game is really hard to play with all these non English speakers.

This isn’t supposed to a be a racist or discriminative post but I just need to vent about this.

It’s really hard to play as a feral eve when half of your children don’t know English, or when you’re in a town and give strict instructions on what a person should do but they don’t because they don’t know what I just said. It kinda ruins the fun when you can’t communicate with half of the people you’re playing with. It’s even worse when they try to say something to me. “I am nothing play?????” “I get basket baby?!” it ruins the fun! I’m not saying get rid of them, I’m just saying that people should catch up on their English before they play English speaking online game that requires communication! I’m not a native English speaker yet I somehow manage to do it and I’m dumber than sawdust so it isn’t hard!

Okay goodbye

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#2 2018-04-21 06:46:54

Lexyvil

Re: The game is really hard to play with all these non English speakers.

On the plus side...More money for Jason right?

In my opinion, the game's visuals are self-explanatory, where it's easy to know what someone is doing by just looking. The only important things to talk about via typing is to mention which carrots will grow as seeds and ask what job someone is doing (asking if someone wants to be a trapper is often mentioned).

Last edited by Lexyvil (2018-04-21 07:56:05)

#3 2018-04-21 06:50:38

LavishFox
Website

You know a language problem is an issue when the non-native English speaker is the first to speak up.

I personally haven’t had an issue with it. I usually operate in the background independent of the population seeing to it that things run smoothly. Ex: fill water skins, help with pies and harvest, find seeds and rabbits, etc. I find that anything more than 2 or 3 word takes too much time that could be spent on the task at hand.

#4 2018-04-21 07:06:48

breezeknight

it's maybe time to replace text based information with icons, pictures, in game representations of things

#5 2018-04-21 07:12:35

akoopatroop

Emojis would be hilarious (still potential for miscommunication of course)

#6 2018-04-21 07:14:52

Alleria

Aurora Aurora wrote:

This isn’t supposed to a be a racist or discriminative post but I just need to vent about this.

It’s really hard to play as a feral eve when half of your children don’t know English, or when you’re in a town and give strict instructions on what a person should do but they don’t because they don’t know what I just said. It kinda ruins the fun when you can’t communicate with half of the people you’re playing with. It’s even worse when they try to say something to me. “I am nothing play?????” “I get basket baby?!” it ruins the fun! I’m not saying get rid of them, I’m just saying that people should catch up on their English before they play English speaking online game that requires communication! I’m not a native English speaker yet I somehow manage to do it and I’m dumber than sawdust so it isn’t hard!

Okay goodbye

Lol our town just got rolled by Telafiesta. He fled after he killed most of the girls. Don't worry though, we had many kids.

NVM, Telafiesta came back and killed all the girls this time.

Last edited by Alleria (2018-04-21 07:20:10)

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#7 2018-04-21 07:53:17

Opedoll

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Okay goodbye

Hey Aurora, I saw you in the game. I was the one chasing you with an arrow. I wanted to say I'm a big fan of reading your posts on the forums lol. But you died of hunger in our small village.

#8 2018-04-21 08:03:10

akoopatroop

Sorry Mom. I was the boy who accidentally wasted a rope on a large shaft, and then died while going to get water because I wasn't paying close enough attention to my food level.

I'll be better in a next life.

#9 2018-04-21 08:03:27

Aurora Aurora

Opedoll wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

Okay goodbye

Hey Aurora, I saw you in the game. I was the one chasing you with an arrow. I wanted to say I'm a big fan of reading your posts on the forums lol. But you died of hunger in our small village.

Oh oops! I thought you were gonna kill me! And that village sucked, at least I spread my Aurora-Seedlings into it to take over it.

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#10 2018-04-21 08:34:54

Opedoll

Aurora Aurora wrote:
Opedoll wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

Okay goodbye

Oh oops! I thought you were gonna kill me! And that village sucked, at least I spread my Aurora-Seedlings into it to take over it.

HAHAHA I had to take it away from you otherwise you would have KILL ME!! LoL xD (and its all good! :3 And it did sucked ballz)

#11 2018-04-21 19:59:22

Avalikia

The problem with simply making the interface more international, like making the recipes pictures instead of words, is that it would still make it difficult for players to communicate with eachother.  And communication is very important in this game.

A better solution would be to have servers specifically meant for non-English speakers.  That way players could play with people who speak the same language.  I would also point out that we shouldn't expect Jason to do this.  I don't know if he speaks or knows enough about other languages to do it, and even if he does we all probably want him to be working on more content instead of more languages.  But the game is open source and it's possible to set up your own server, so other people could do it if they have the skillz and want to put in the work.

Last edited by Avalikia (2018-04-21 20:13:30)

Board footer