One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-18 20:05:27

Bob the Blob

Finding my Mom's old village

Mom and my brave little girl unnamed Lily, I hope you find this.

I was born the second daughter to my mom who was named something like Shardu or the likes.  She kept me even though times were really tough as she had escaped from a village with a murderer. This she told me whilst raising me and my sibling. We had a small patch of land, big enough for the three of us and unfortunately she could not keep all her children which broke her heart. My older sister kept the farm going and ensured we were all fed.  Mom and I took to smithing some tools and we did pretty well untill I accidentally messed up trying to make a froe but ended with a shovel. Mom wasn't angry as I thought she'd be and simply said we can make more but we have run out of iron. So I said I'd go find us some. Mom gave me her backpack and off I went.

Being the numpty I am, I never had a home marker but didn't realize until after many years of searching for iron ore. I panicked and in a blind rush stopped looking for iron, filled my basket and backpack with rocks (I remember mom was building a well at some point) and started looking for my home.  I was lost, hopelessly wandering around for longer than I can remember until one day, by the grace of my siblings big head that I could faintly spot to the South, I found my family! Mom was grey now. She grew so old. When I had explained why I returned with a basket of rocks and not iron she was her usual loving self and just said 'Welcome back'. I knew the lay of the land now and was determined to get the iron ore we so desperatly needed so I set of again, this time returning shortly with a ton of ore for us!

As my niece started taking over the smithing, mom said she is growing old and that she would like to see what has become of her old village to the South before she died.  I knew that my mom's chances of survival was slim on her own due to her being so fragile and offered to go with. After loading up with food we set of searching. We travelled quite a bit, living off the land in search of moms old village. Unfortunately a dastardly snake lay in wait. It bit my mom, she couldn't even see it coming. When she died I cried so much made a nearby goose pond flood a little. I thought that I would find this village in my moms memory and write about it, telling her what had happened to the place of her birth so I kept going.

Not long after the passing of my mom, I had a little girl. I so hoped that my mother had somehow reincarnated as my child but alas, my child was a fresh soul to the world. I told my daughter of her nan and said I'm on a mission. I kept my little girl and we, as my mom and I in the past, lived off the land, looking for the lost village.  Years had passed and I had to abandon a child of my own for the sake of survival. My little girl grew up and when she was old enough I told her of her home and where her family is. She wanted to stay with me and find the village of her grandmother so we spent more years traveling the land, searching. We found lots of small settlements, lone graves and even the legendary MONOLITH! but no village. I remembered that I had never named my little girl and by the time I realised it was too late. I told her that she was to be Lily and made her promise that she would find her family if I was to perish. And not long after, perish was exactly what I did. Killed like my mother by a snake ambush.

Mom, I'm sorry that I could not find your village. Thank you for your love and patience. Your bloodline lived on in our home.

Lily, I'm sorry I could not stay longer my child. I loved you and your sense of adventure my brave, brave girl. I hope that you found your family in the end. Your life was one big adventure and I hope that you did not succumb to the curse of the snakes too.

All my love.

I used to have an open mind but my brain kept falling out.

#2 2018-04-18 21:37:34

lostlandofcarrots

Re: Finding my Mom's old village

Ohhh! I was just gonna write about this playthrough but you beat me to it. Hi, I was the mom! I think I named you Sharon, but I always have trouble remembering names, so I might be mistaken, haha.

This was one of my most fun and memorable lifetimes. The murderer in my old village would not kill everyone, but instead go through it periodically and kill the women. I escaped him once as a baby, but had to stay until I could feed myself. The second time he passed through, he targeted me again, and I grabbed a basket and ran. I traveled for a while before finding the place where you guys were born, and when I did, I was old enough to hold a weapon. At first, I planned to craft a bow and arrows, return and kill the murderer, taking revenge for those he killed before me, but when you and your sis spawned, and we started farming and smithing and crafting, I realized this was much more fun, and, in the end, the ultimate form of revenge: the bloodline the killer worked so hard to erase lived on, strong.

(Curse those dastardly snakes, though, for stopping me from seeing my old home one last time! sad )

I made a big loop around the village while I was traveling, and only knew it would be south of our settlement because of my old home marker, which I never changed to the new place. But home markers are inaccurate at long distances, which may be why you and Lily were never able to find it.

I just want to say, I had a great time. You were an incredible "daughter" and I'm glad you had fun as well. GG, I hope we meet again in-game someday! smile

Last edited by lostlandofcarrots (2018-04-19 11:44:15)

#3 2018-04-19 17:10:35

Bob the Blob

Re: Finding my Mom's old village

Well we found lots of small farms and bits and bops. Think we were close as there were loads of eaten berry bushes, tools and the likes about. Even a random wooden floor.

Pity we never found it though and even worse that I died just like you. Those darn snakes!

I used to have an open mind but my brain kept falling out.

Board footer