One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-18 18:47:24

sammoh

Re: Weird meta-idea: stuck in a life for an hour

Certain custom minecraft servers employed "pearls". These could be used to imprison people indefinitely in The End, where they could work off their sentence or wait for a ransom.

Last edited by sammoh (2018-04-18 18:48:01)

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#27 2018-04-18 18:47:27

aldraw

In another game I played there was this mechanic.  An hour is peanuts compared to the week or so I was imprisoned, or days I kept prisoners.  Since said game had no age related death it could in theory go forever.  Eventually I'd die because it would require significant effort by the captors to check on you every 20~30 min, 24 hours a day to feed and tend . 

This said, I think imprisonment could work and be interesting if properly implemented.  I'd suggest a method to incapacitate, bind and lead, then finally put them in stocks (fence kit+board with holes) .  I say stocks because a walled room can be escaped the moment someone opens the door because players don't collide.   They would need to be fed and cared for.

#28 2018-04-18 18:57:51

Lily

I do think you should stay active if you get disconnected though. That way if you have an internet hiccup and it goes out and comes back on 20 seconds later, you can continue.

#29 2018-04-18 19:11:41

AmyJ96

This idea sounds like it would make for some hilarious gameplay

#30 2018-04-18 20:54:38

Roolstar

This idea scares the shit out of me OP!

The possible abuse is really serious. Imagine a regular player kidnapped or imprisoned by a griefer.

Personally I would never play this game again on an official server if that happens to me: imagine being forced to do something you don't want in a game by some faceless player. Or best case scenario forbidden to connect again and play your game for another hour.

Not to mention the possibility for a regular player to be mistaken for a griefer and sentenced by fast-to-judge players or tyrant.

<< The scary part is that an abuse like this would really affect the feeling a player has towards this game community.>>

And that for me is much more severe than being frustrated when killed by a griefer and seeing your family scramble to avenge you.

And since Jason is OP, I'll link a thread I started where I make a simple suggestion to fight murder, just in case he hasn't seen it already.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1187

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-04-18 20:58:04)

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#31 2018-04-18 20:57:19

Kinrany

Personally I would never play this game again on an official server if that happens to me: imagine being forced to do something you don't want in a game by some faceless player. Or best case scenario forbidden to connect again and play your game for another hour.

Switch to another server?

#32 2018-04-18 21:00:04

Roolstar

Kinrany wrote:

Switch to another server?

Yes I know there may be a way to go around this, but I don't think I'll feel the same way towards this community after that if you know what I mean.

I mean getting over being killed by a griefer is hard enough, now imagine seeing your own family turn on you for a simple mistake. Talk about trust issues...

And I think Jason puts a higher priority on that aspect than anything else.

I am NOT for this game to be a "safe space". Not at all. But to implement "torture" would be a dangerous thing imo.

A good design to fight griefing should not create yet another way to grief.

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-04-18 21:08:55)

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#33 2018-04-18 21:47:30

Christoffer
Website

miskas wrote:

Go for the Curse dance on the grave cause this will make the victim/perpetrator afraid and cooperative ( someone proposed the option to bleed your hand with a needle and touch the grave to curse it. the more the curses the more lifetimes/time have to spend as a hermit)

Three arcane judges with blooded hands should definitely be able to utter a curse/judgement over a player, either alive or recently deceased. Why? Because it would be hilarious!

However, as everyone knows, a dying person can also use his death curse on his killer. So in the case of a murderer, there can also be a single judge. The dying person would have to say the curse before dying and there would be three choices (of course, these things always come in threes, duh!)

First, the beginning of the curse: "WITH MY DYING BREATH I COMMAND". Then the choices:
1. "I CAST THEE OUT" - the cursed player is moved 5000 cells i a random direction, and will have to spend the rest of his life in the wilderness. big_smile
2. "HUNGER FOR JUSTICE" - the cursed player's hunger boxes are reduced to only four for the rest of his life. He'll have to eat all the time big_smile big_smile
3. "CHANGE YOUR WAYS" - the cursed player will walk backwards for the rest of his life, to the ridicule of his peers. big_smile big_smile big_smile

In the case of the three judges, the words are slightly different, and they all have to speak one part in sequence (after bloodying their hands):

Judge 1 starts the chant "WITH OUR LIVING BREATH WE COMMAND"
Judge 2 utters curse number 1, 2 or 3
Judge 3 completes the chant with the words "WHAT HE SAID" (or "WHAT SHE SAID", if the second judge is a woman. If you are not certain which pronoun judge number two prefers, then "SO BE IT" will also work)

Hope you guys had fun reading this!

#34 2018-04-18 22:46:22

OxPower

I like this idea, I think limiting the way one can re spawn is a step in the right direction. Forcing a player to change servers if they die is a no-no, it mostly punishes people that don't deserve the punishment. I also like the idea of not being able to run from your mother, remember that babies spawn on the ground. The idea of "enter the prison or die" doesn't work, in this game you can just outrun anyone forever or until you starve. There's no reason why someone who wants to die would enter the prison.

#35 2018-04-18 23:10:49

Roolstar

Forcing a baby to stay with mom?? What would that accomplish??

I don't get that at all.

I mean to punish one possible griefer who's trying to spawn in a specific camp by suiciding over and over, we're making every player stuck wherever they're born if their mother wants them to stay??

If a player does not want to stay in this camp for whatever reason, forcing them to stay will at best make them suicide as soon as they can or at worst do their best to make their "capturer's" life miserable (Best recipe to create a griefer)

And with all the proposed curses and judges and prison systems and tools for capture suggested in this thread, I'm worried that this game is more and more revolving around griefers. I thought OHOL was about building a thriving colony for the next generation.

<< Keep it simple: A player kills another player, he has to be fed before he can feed himself again. >> EZ, problem solved

Of course he can wait about 16-20 more minutes to be raised, then forge a weapon then be able to hold it and then kill ONE other person then die. But seriously who would? And even if they did, this would have almost no effect on the colony.

And the best part about this solution is that it can be implemented with probably less than 2 mn of coding. And without adding a whole new chapter for new players to learn in order to deal with griefers. Someone's killing people? Just do the natural thing and avoid them for a while and then they die. GG

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-04-18 23:16:05)

#36 2018-04-18 23:20:56

Sakkiyn

Actually a pretty good idea, after all you still need the food to feed a prisoner and a warden to force them to eat.

Food is a very limited resource and not starving can be a challenge at times. So having a lot of prisoner's is not easily viable.

The prisoner will need to be on a good hunger timer, prison a cozy place? Or dependent on who built it, nice bearskin rug and a fire nearby? Build the prison in the desert?

You will of course need to add "Ye Oldde" stomach rumbling sounds so we know when feeding time if for poor old Jo in his dungeon cell for one, with a view, of course.

#37 2018-04-18 23:23:40

Sakkiyn

Roolstar wrote:

Forcing a baby to stay with mom?? What would that accomplish??

I don't get that at all.

I mean to punish one possible griefer who's trying to spawn in a specific camp by suiciding over and over, we're making every player stuck wherever they're born if their mother wants them to stay??

If a player does not want to stay in this camp for whatever reason, forcing them to stay will at best make them suicide as soon as they can or at worst do their best to make their "capturer's" life miserable (Best recipe to create a griefer)

And with all the proposed curses and judges and prison systems and tools for capture suggested in this thread, I'm worried that this game is more and more revolving around griefers. I thought OHOL was about building a thriving colony for the next generation.

<< Keep it simple: A player kills another player, he has to be fed before he can feed himself again. >> EZ, problem solved

Of course he can wait about 16-20 more minutes to be raised, then forge a weapon then be able to hold it and then kill ONE other person then die. But seriously who would? And even if they did, this would have almost no effect on the colony.

And the best part about this solution is that it can be implemented with probably less than 2 mn of coding. And without adding a whole new chapter for new players to learn in order to deal with griefers. Someone's killing people? Just do the natural thing and avoid them for a while and then they die. GG

It is still easy to starve to death as soon as you are old enough, unlikely mom will follow you around forever, or click on a bear cave, find a nice wolf to play with, or the all time favorite baby "rattle" from a nice snake ends things quickly.

#38 2018-04-18 23:42:47

BlueRock

"What are you in for?"

"Oh nothing, I was just born in Prison and they would have to risk letting my murderer mom out to get to me so I'm here to stay. Oh hey look she had another kid, oh, that one was lucky and managed to starve to death. Welp, just waiting till this hour is up."

Also, no you don't have to stay at all, just stop playing for an hour I guess.

Alt + Tab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGB6YQyPyQg

Last edited by BlueRock (2018-04-18 23:51:05)

#39 2018-04-18 23:59:43

Turnipseed

jasonrohrer wrote:

Maybe you can respawn on the same server over and over, in the same hour, but your later spawns are as lone hermit men?

All of this makes "quit playing for an hour" seem like the best option for the player.  That's a very risky incentive for me to build into the game...

I think a branding iron a way to knock someone out and some sort of stockade. (Mabey takes two people to carry someone to a stockade) where you can brand them to trigger the cursed life. That forces you to live your next life to X years old as a hermit man. This way it takes several steps and at least two people to trigger the event. This would prevent griefers from using it to mess with "good" players. The only problem is having the server track them if they just rapidly kill themself

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#40 2018-04-19 00:37:01

Roolstar

I guess I'm just surprised that an OHOL version of Guantanamo Bay is considered as a viable option, and with even more potential of abuse.

Inb4 prison colonies emerge.

You know that a group of Discord buddies will make that happen. I have to confess though it would make a great story, a horrible, great story.

#41 2018-04-19 00:55:03

Uncle Gus

I like the idea of your "body" staying alive on disconnect. As a bonus it would prevent death by loss of connection too.

I'm also fine with detaining individuals as long as it takes multiple people to do it.

Edit: the one body thing should be global, otherwise trolls will just disconnect and join a different server to grief there.

Last edited by Uncle Gus (2018-04-19 00:56:15)

#42 2018-04-19 00:59:25

OxPower

Roolstar wrote:

What about all the other ways of griefing? Do we have to feed someone who planted wheat? Do we have to feed someone who chopped down a tree?

#43 2018-04-19 03:23:21

Laddy

Yep, this is the best solution. Some way to imprison people, (Can be used for good or bad, just like in real life) and some way to force people to stay alive(just like in real life). If the "griefer" wants to imprison a whole tribe(assuming that the tribe has all the tools to do that) then let him, he'd have to keep you alive and it could be entertaining. You want to regulate the game as little as possible I think.

#44 2018-04-19 03:51:01

Artarda

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well, the question still remains:  how does the server know to send you to the phantom zone or whatever?  What happens during your last life that triggers it?

SSDarkMoon a karma system solves the problem automatically with no player involvement.  I want to give the players tools to solve the problem instead.  Killing isn't always bad.  Digging up stuff isn't always bad.  Only players can decide that.

Kinrany:  that's an interesting idea.  The server remembers you for an hour after you join, and no matter what happens (you die of starvation, you are killed, you suicide), you are not allowed to respawn on that server for an hour.  The only way to keep playing on that server is to keep living (which make "stop or we'll shoot" mean something).

BUT:  what happens to a brand new player who dies 15 times in one hour?  They are "on cooldown" on all 15 servers then, unable to play...

The curse or "dance on their grave" option seems to be the best trigger. The reason being, it would require community involvement. A single person cursing or dancing on a grave might not do anything, but if you used a squaring function, 5 people cursing the grave might have a 25x duration over a single person cursing the grave.

This system would benefit greatly from the ability to identify the creator of a "Fresh Grave" and a Murder Grave, and perhaps not able to pick up a grave with a basket until it's no longer fresh? Because once the grave is picked up and replaced as a bone pile you could cull that information to save server side data space.

Edit:From a code perspective, I mean even if you just attached the PlayerID int or uint (whichever you use) + the name string data, it would be just a couple bytes per fresh grave, for three minutes, right? Maybe have a server side table that keeps track of the names recorded to each playerID but I feel like that would create a lot of server side data.

Last edited by Artarda (2018-04-19 03:54:18)

#45 2018-04-19 07:54:32

Roolstar

OxPower wrote:
Roolstar wrote:

What about all the other ways of griefing? Do we have to feed someone who planted wheat? Do we have to feed someone who chopped down a tree?

No this only applies to killing, the other kinds of griefing would need a wise and organized community to counter just like it does now.

#46 2018-04-19 11:50:57

Aname

lol whenever someone get really bad karma let him spawn as an eve or a loner male for 5 hours

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#47 2018-04-19 12:24:07

Joriom
Website

I love the idea of "zombiefied" state. Single grieffer or two trapping 15 people AND FEEDING THEM for 30-60 minutes? Not happening. To borig, to time consuming, to hard to get enouch food solo, to much "gameplay" to ruing someones experience. And in the end you don't really "kill the town". 15 people feeding 2 trapped griefers? Possible without any problems.
We would just need something to keep person in place which can be undone any time with combined effort of at least 2 people.

This would also make it possible to "reeducate" prisoners if they decided to reflect on their actions or release people who are just inexperienced after you cleared all the missunderstandings. Quite good solution for "infinite rebirth".

But I've also like the Karma idea which helps to achieve "banishment from society" without any automated judging - all in hands of people. Let me copy how I extended uppon the karma idea in the "murder thread":

The karma system would be actually a good idea but would need a hard work and a lot of cosideration. It should be both positive and negative. Like "player rating" that can be seen next to name without perfect precision and is only graphically shown on player model if its to low. Some in-game "mini-achievements" like crafting clothes, tools, and other stuff that helps others - could bring it up. Others players (possibly only family members? close relatives? town "wars" concern) should be able to bring it down though. I like the idea of "marking" players (reducing their karma A LOT) with combined effort of entire village. Lets say first one or two marks hardly change your carma but the growth is exponential during lifetime - the more people who "mark" you before you die - the faster your karma drops.

It would also solve problems of "accepting people" to communities. Why was 111 gen possible? Because we discarded people who we were not sure we can trust. Because we had Voice Chat and vouched for each other. Karma would be a little bit like that. That counters the whole "grieffer being reborn over and over again" a lot while still having the uncertainty for most "casual" players with karma in the "middle". I could not continure the "Rose Town" legend anymore with this in place. I would have to wait some time untill karma "decays" back to neutral over time or I would be forced to play alone or with other outcasts to build a "savage community" and progess it crafting usefull stuff untill we get clear. Thats also another point - karma decay over time. It should try to get back to the rest position ("neutral") over extended peroids of time (hours? days?). Decay from negative should be slower than from positive.

With karma system we would still have some "bored" people who made some good deeds and now proceed to "reset" their karma to resting point by griefing but it would reduce their possibility of respawning to finish the job.

#48 2018-04-23 00:37:29

Kitaelia

Joriom wrote:

I love the idea of "zombiefied" state. Single grieffer or two trapping 15 people AND FEEDING THEM for 30-60 minutes? Not happening. To borig, to time consuming, to hard to get enouch food solo, to much "gameplay" to ruing someones experience. And in the end you don't really "kill the town". 15 people feeding 2 trapped griefers? Possible without any problems.
We would just need something to keep person in place which can be undone any time with combined effort of at least 2 people.

This would also make it possible to "reeducate" prisoners if they decided to reflect on their actions or release people who are just inexperienced after you cleared all the missunderstandings. Quite good solution for "infinite rebirth".

But I've also like the Karma idea which helps to achieve "banishment from society" without any automated judging - all in hands of people. Let me copy how I extended uppon the karma idea in the "murder thread":

The karma system would be actually a good idea but would need a hard work and a lot of cosideration. It should be both positive and negative. Like "player rating" that can be seen next to name without perfect precision and is only graphically shown on player model if its to low. Some in-game "mini-achievements" like crafting clothes, tools, and other stuff that helps others - could bring it up. Others players (possibly only family members? close relatives? town "wars" concern) should be able to bring it down though. I like the idea of "marking" players (reducing their karma A LOT) with combined effort of entire village. Lets say first one or two marks hardly change your carma but the growth is exponential during lifetime - the more people who "mark" you before you die - the faster your karma drops.

It would also solve problems of "accepting people" to communities. Why was 111 gen possible? Because we discarded people who we were not sure we can trust. Because we had Voice Chat and vouched for each other. Karma would be a little bit like that. That counters the whole "grieffer being reborn over and over again" a lot while still having the uncertainty for most "casual" players with karma in the "middle". I could not continure the "Rose Town" legend anymore with this in place. I would have to wait some time untill karma "decays" back to neutral over time or I would be forced to play alone or with other outcasts to build a "savage community" and progess it crafting usefull stuff untill we get clear. Thats also another point - karma decay over time. It should try to get back to the rest position ("neutral") over extended peroids of time (hours? days?). Decay from negative should be slower than from positive.

With karma system we would still have some "bored" people who made some good deeds and now proceed to "reset" their karma to resting point by griefing but it would reduce their possibility of respawning to finish the job.

I really like this karma idea, as well as the "zombified" state where we cannot just suicide by disconnecting the game. If you disconnect from the game your hunger would still go down, so you would starve at the same rate. This would mean if my internet has a brief hiccup I wouldn't instantly die. I could potentially log back in, quickly scramble to feed myself, and carry on with my life. Also if I don't like where I am born, I won't just fall out of the womb as an instant pile of bones from closing my client as soon as I see my undesirable mother/location. I'll have to run around and starve like the rest of the babes who sometimes choose suicide respawn.

On that note, I love the idea of a baby not being able to wiggle out of mom's arms if being held. It would not only cut down on the anxiety I feel as a mother, always wondering if and when I will get the dreaded jump-down-potato-baby, it would also train the player base to pay a little more attention to their mother. Mother can pick up baby and explain things without the baby suddenly "noping" out of her arms while she's mid-typing. You want to baby-suicide? That means you have to pay extra attention and be ready when mom sets you down to feed herself, care for another baby, or do any work, and start running as soon as she drops you.

That would also add to the internal struggles which I think is an extremely fun part of this game. "Should I drop my baby at the fire or desert edge so I can continue working? Do I trust someone else raising my baby when they have others also to care for?"

Player Imprisonment: This is also a very fun idea for me and I think would set up some really interesting and diverse story narratives. There are already some really nice ideas in this thread for how to make it so griefers can't just mass imprison an entire innocent village. IF someone wanted to imprison an entire village it should take a lot of work, careful planning, and cooperation with several other players to make it happen. But for practical town uses (detaining a griefer, murderer, thief, etc) it shouldn't be terribly difficult to be able to keep one to two people detained, guarded, and fed.

The zombified state upon disconnect mentioned above, while being fed by the guards, would prevent people from opting out of prison life through out of game means and instantly respawning somewhere new to get away with what they'd done, and provide a much needed stronger self preservation instinct.

I think all of these combined.. Player Imprisonment system, Zombified active body on disconnect, Can't just out of mom's arms, and a Karma system would all push us towards more cooperation, more meaningful lives, and more interesting social interactions.

Thank you for reading. ^_^

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#49 2018-04-23 01:08:41

JS

Prison ideas are likely to be exploited.
And it will make the game more boring than the gripper's murder.

If you want to adopt the reign of the dictator, the prison idea is necessary for the police state.

I suggest. :
The murderer gets back the results of his karma.

There are two methods of karma system.
First, murderROR (More than 2 times) is sent to the EXILE server.
An exemption server is the land of murderers.
Grippers are often patient and ineffective. In short, they are not good friends to play games together.
But it might be a good friend of the grippers. smile

Second, intentional murderers are socially released for a period of time.
When a murderer kills more than twice in his past life, he gets a sign.
(Like 'NAME, THE MURDEROR'.)

One murder is left for a mistake or a sheriff.
If the genocide of the previous life is open for 24 hours, and there is no penalty when someone kills him, he spends a lonely and boring time on its own.

Third, there is the easiest way.
It is adopted by many MMORPGs.

As soon as the killer commits the murder, the name is displayed in red.
It is a sign of a wanted person.
Whoever kills a killer has no penalty.
(Often, when a strong NPC guard finds a murderer, he is punished immediately, so a killer can not go to a guarded village, or a murderer can not use an ordinary store.)

It would be enough to give a small and big penalty to two or more killers.
Of course, there may be murderers who try to kill one murder, but wasting one's life for one murder will be more boring than unlimited.

Last edited by JS (2018-04-23 01:15:37)

#50 2018-04-23 01:29:21

Lily

I don't think it is really a problem. A griefer isn't going to sit there feeding you. In fact, if you get caught as a griefer, they would probably leave you to starve also.

Board footer