One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-13 21:38:03

Neamtu44

From A to Z

I just thought of a rating system that could benefit everyone.
I started making my kids rate themselves from A to Z at birth as a condition to stay alive...

Hope my kids see this...I am sorry i died kids, but i underestimated my old age...

Back to the matter at hand; I think making people rate themselves can help lone eves to decide if they can establish with a kid. Maybe try to teach a "C" the rules, or get a "O" to maybe start learning smithing, or an "X" as a scout or ruler, and bigger villages to organize better.

Just putting it out there.. I am curious what you guys think of this...is

"FROM A TO Z HOW GOOD ARE YOU?"

a good thing or not?

#2 2018-04-13 21:40:46

Chard

Re: From A to Z

Getting people to rate themselves? Hopefully people are honest. Maybe a shorter scale though, 26 point scale is kinda daunting.

Also that message is too long for a 14 year old Eve to say.

#3 2018-04-13 21:49:47

danger1penguin

Honestly, when I first saw this I laughed. I thought "there is no way this would work, why would anyone be honest?"

Then I thought, well that's just part of life. If you keep a kid alive who rates themselves well and turns out being shit, that is part of the experience. People lie on job applications, and it screws them and the employer. If you get a kid who is honest that they aren't good, and you are a decent mom, you can teach them and benefit their ability in the future.

I probably won't apply it as an eve, but if you see success let me know, I think it would be fun to try even if it fails.

#4 2018-04-14 06:11:58

Neamtu44

i tried it out a bit..i actually got an "S", a "J" a "C"...so non-griefers will probably be honest..i see no point in lying. You just have to realise as a new or newish player that you can learn from your mother or your siblings. And if you are an established player, your mom will be able to tend to the other things that need attention, knowing that you will not starve like an "A" or a "C" or something.
If you try it out, let me know what was your experience with this.

#5 2018-04-14 07:03:41

Lily

It is important to tell the truth, so your mom knows how much help you need. When I ask children if they know how to do stuff, and they don't know anything, I help them out. So if you are a newbie and you say you are a pro, then I am not going to help you and you might die. If you say you are a newbie, I will teach you the basics and you might live.

So at least for some of us, we ask for teaching purposes rather than to see if we kill you or not.

I do agree that A-Z is a bit much though. I think 1-10 is probably better. Even if you can't type numbers, you can understand them with the first two letters. on, tw, th, fo, fi, si, se, ei, ni, te. They are all different.

#6 2018-04-14 07:28:21

Neamtu44

So far, I've been quite succesfull with the kid rating...i succsesfully established a little camp with a "J" and  a "P"...Also raised a "C" and taught her how the game works...i will keep using the A to Z...i don't think having to many options is a problem at this point. It's subjective anyway..It mostly comes down to splitting the alphabet in 3-4 areas (A-G -> begginers, H-N -> Medium, O-T -> Advanced, U-Z -> Pro) and use the fine tuning to help you make an idea about that kid.
e.g. teach noobies the rules, let mediums run small errands untill they are old enough for you to teach them more complicated stuff, send advanced players to gather resources you need...clay, baskets, seeds, rabbits, branches, etc. and let pros do whatever they want, if you are not a pro yourself...if you are..boss those kids around like it's noone's bussiness.
Also...don't be rude when you have to abbandon children...it will happen...some kids will be too much for what you can sustain...just tell them you're sorry and send them out to find a rattle toy to play with (they don't know it bites).

So yea..so far this has worked out for me and ma bebes...except for the "play with rattle toy" ones. Try it out!:D

Edit: This just came to me...you can also name the kids according to their letter (use it as a first letter to their name), cause if you are like me and have over 9000 kids, you forget who they are...especially in old age. I will keep testing this and post results back here.

Last edited by Neamtu44 (2018-04-14 07:32:48)

#7 2018-04-14 07:34:45

Neamtu44

Chard wrote:

Also that message is too long for a 14 year old Eve to say.

I use: "From A to Z"
"How good are you"...add question mark after u turn 16:))

#8 2021-04-14 16:00:47

Quoteifugly

Im definetly a A

Jesus called me and asked me about my car's extended warranty

#9 2021-04-14 22:49:25

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I like how they don't specify if A is good or Z is good

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#10 2021-04-14 23:11:38

DestinyCall

Z is obviously better.  It is 26 times more powerful than A.

#11 2021-04-15 11:13:49

Starknight_One

DestinyCall wrote:

Z is obviously better.  It is 26 times more powerful than A.

Exactly. It's why it is used so rarely.

Board footer