One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-26 12:03:48

Spoonwood

Apparently Engines, Looms, and Radios are Better Than Trade/"Trade"

Deomnicblack a while back commented on how it's inconsistent that the seal on a newcomen breaks, while the seal on a newcomen engine does not break (https://onetech.info/2243-Multipurpose-Newcomen-Engine). 

Jason agreed that there exists an inconsistency on that: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/1165

But, instead of caring about the inconsistency, it got dismissed with "game balance" as preferable.

SoloAceMouse: "While I enjoy difficulty when it is rewarding, I feel like this difficulty increase [making it so that the newcomen engine would bust] would not be rewarding but instead unnecessarily harder."

So basically needing to get another bucket of latex, two, or more, cook them, and then put them in the engine would not be rewarding.  It sure sounds to me like Ace has implied that "more trade" would not be good.

Tarr: "We want new players to learn advanced stuff and making mistakes is okay and part of learning naturally. Making things more costly leads to gatekeeping and now allowing new people the chance to learn."

So, basically, "advanced stuff" *consists of crafting* complex objects.  Advanced stuff isn't playing as Ginger early arc especially, and going to both tans and blacks and trying to get latex, palm oil, and also sulfur for the latex in buckets.  Advanced players would also "gatekeep" using the engine, instead of thinking "oh... we don't have enough rubber!" and maybe get out of town to get those supplies also.  People also having a *clearer consequence* for performing poorly also doesn't allow them to learn.  Honestly, that's absurd.  When in doubt, people need more feedback on how they're doing, including more negative feedback, not less feedback.  At least for anything objective.

Tarr: "You know how to play the game and while this would negatively affect you, it would much more negatively mess with new people."

Alright, so Tarr here implies that more rubber supply trade/charity would negatively affect me and also that would negatively mess with new people also.  No, I don't know such a thing.  In fact, if anything, I'd prefer if towns just didn't make it a diesel water pump or loom.  Families would then end up more often in an early game loop, and maybe there existed somewhat less resettling of old towns or throwing advanced objects at new towns.

But anyways, it looks like Jason doesn't have that much confidence in trade (or "trade" or charity) as so good of a thing as to make it more necessary.  When the rubber meets the road, it's more important that someone makes an engine or truck than goes out and tries to interact with someone in another family to get rubber supplies, I guess.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer