One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-11 20:16:01

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Close to Home

XaqTyQg.png

Players who want to build an Endtower, which triggers an apocalypse that wipes the entire world back to zero, face many obstacles, since most of the other players will do anything in their power to stop them.  There hasn't been a successful apocalypse in quite a long time, but hope, apparently, springs eternal for the most purpose-driven players.

The threat of an apocalypse creates macro-scale dramatic tension, so I don't want to detooth it entirely.  But these purpose-driven players are a creative bunch.  The latest trick is to try to get as far away from the population center as possible.  They want to get way more than one lifetime's worth of walking, so they have babies along the way, and the babies grow up and keep walking.  Eventually, they get ridiculously far away from all the other players, and they build an Endtower there.

While this kind of perseverance is admirable, it's also not that interesting to defend against.  Just walk forever yourself, and have babies along the way, until you eventually find the tower.  Many, many hours later.

The Endtower can now only be built within 10,000 tiles of at least 50% of the active player base.  It can be somewhat far and hidden away, but not ridiculously far away.

Some bugs in cursing people during the five minute window after they die have been fixed.

You can now say GOODBYE FOREVER in your final utterance to disable the feature that has you born automatically to your own descendants if you live to old age.

There's a new method of interacting with moveable containers:  right clicking on the ground around the container will swap your held item for the container itself, instead of inserting it into the container.  Right-click the container itself to put the item in or swap it with contained items.

#2 2023-08-11 20:25:09

jinbaili83

Re: Update: Close to Home

nothing of interest can hide for long since there is wondible map that shows whole world

#3 2023-08-11 21:21:36

TheOneTrueKing

lol but banning grifters to donkeytown makes sense when this is in the game? lol ok.

a note, identifying the game as a "parenting" game, (when you have players banned for petty things) and banning them to a land where no children are born, could be considered false advertisement.

#4 2023-08-12 05:48:08

Wotte60

Thanks for the update !

I think 10 000 tiles is a bit short.
It's already almost impossible to make the apocalypse tower since the website Wondible show it so easily (even without search),
So it's normal that people try to do things like going very far thought multiple life, Cause that the only way to have a chance of making it.

I think a lot of "griefer" people are "griefing" because of the frustration of not be able to make the apocalypse tower.

I can talk personally, when i spend a lot of time making the apocalypse tower (7000 tile west away from town), at the last state someone just take the tower down and leave a paper with some blame on it, after all the effort i make to go that far, he did not make effort to try to find the tower, he took the time to take out a paper and a pencil cause he know where to look at and that he will be able to leave me a message and blame me. That can make people frustrate and want express themself thought those "grieffing" act for example.

Maybe you better remove the Apocalypse tower and put something else that could satiate the desire for destruction. (Why not a little tower that can reset a certain amount of tiles around it for example Or a Bomb who erase all around it to be more realistic ^^)

Thanks for reading me !

#5 2023-08-16 20:59:26

mensrea

I understand there is a new method of interacting with containers.

I wonder why this was changed?

I can think of a few reasons, but not that were not able to be worked around. I recall having some issues mining an upgraded mine with pickaxes where right clicking on the mine can cause you to drop your pickax instead of perform a mining action. I'm not even sure this behavior is modified by the code update.

Downsides to this change are I find myself fumbling much more often than a priori. I guess that means I pickup much more often than when I intended to swap the item in my hand.
The only real concrete thing I care about being impossible is swapping pottery items in baskets around a kiln for firing the clay. You now must specifically reposition to above the kiln when swapping from the baskets in the NorthWest and NorthEast positions. The repositiioning was not required when you could swap with a container behind your head more easily.

#6 2023-08-16 22:10:55

mensrea

Another positive aspect of this change after further reflection is for modded players who zoom out such that their player model does not overlap the square above them.

I suspect some people were complaining about something and this behavior change attempts to be a fix for it. If you have something in your hand now you can be sure to pick up items on the floor, instead of swapping as before. I would work around this by finding a large item nearby and swapping it with my item in hand, then swap it with the item on the floor. This is only relevant for crowded areas.

This change may have other consequences like being unable to become locked inside an area because your hands are full with no place to drop stuff.

In any case I know this isn't a democracy but I vote against the change.

Board footer