One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-04 11:07:12

Brohop

Apocalypse yay or nay?

I would very much like to see how people stand on this. I'm of the opinion apocs shouldnt happen to much but it would improve the replayability of the game so much if we atleast had a yearly apoc. I have seen people mentioning about how its too easy to loot old towns and there needing to be a mechanic against that. At the same time we already have such a mechanic called "the apocalypse".

However it seems there is a small group of people preventing this for over a year. I am not about undoing peoples hard work, but at the same time i feel the game might die out if we dont have an appoc eventually since there is only so many things to do. I find it way to often that half of the town is just sitting in nursery chilling abouts because they will live anyway. People will tell you there is eve towns plenty of times, but at the same time eves resettle old towns and if they dont they often get boosted through the early stages by some helpfull guy passing by in a truck full of endgame clothes or we.  The irony in all of it is that those who want to prevent it claim everything would be back to nornal in a few hours which im pretty sure is bull because its becomming pretty normal to see 3-5 trucks in a prop fence etc. People also claim theybdont want it because THEY would have to redo all the hard stuff, at thr same time these people are prevending others from learning these mechanics because there simply barely ever is any sense of urgency to do things.

I would very much like to see a discord poll on this but since thats out of my power and since all im told is "no people dont want this otherwise it wouldve happened by now", therefor i am posting my toughts here.

To be clear my main chain of tought behind this is that i feel like infinitely preventing in apoc might aswell be called griefing if the mayority of player base would want it, but nobody ever took their time to so a poll or whatever to determine what the mayority wants (as far as i know).

Mentioning apoc will inmeadiately make some people go nuts and thibk you are a griefer eventough its a mechanic that is introduced for a reason and in my opinion the tought behind it is replayability. Im totally fine with not having an apoc ever if thats what people want, but i cant stand it when someone says thats smt the people dont want based on thin air.

Some people forget not everybody played from the start, so it would be a very cool to witness a fresh start aka apoc atleast once.

So apoc yay or nay?

#2 2023-06-04 11:22:27

QuirkySmirkyIan

Re: Apocalypse yay or nay?

Nay unless I'm emotionally disturbed.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#3 2023-06-04 11:30:54

Kuromi

I looooove apooc, I'd marry one if i could. Free from modern technologyy. Why try make an apoc never happen? Atleast once in a while would be good!! I say Yay smile

#4 2023-06-04 11:50:30

fug

I think this just calls back to the  age old struggle of trying to keep things around long enough to cherish them and fresh enough to enjoy starting to build something from scratch. The problem with the latter is that the game can never go back to being 4 different Eve villages starting up fresh and slowly progressing up the tech tree. Five years into ohol and the players who have stuck around are too good to be stuck in an endless loop of constant Eve villages. The only time this occurs is with player booms when s1 is active.

I think Jason needs to look at allowing iron to be harvested from multiple mines to at least attempt to allow players to break away from villages to build their own outposts. With iron already being an easy enough to gather resource either from dead towns or just getting it in general there's not really an excuse to limit veins popped. Kerosene is the major bottleneck and we still see these giant kerosene runs being made by vets.

The apocalypse also needs to be doable. Current iteration has only ever occurred through bug abuse (bear cave exploit) and only nearly went off due to abusing gates. I'm not sure whether the time should be cut in half as a 12 hour session would be much more doable for a small group or it needs to be changed to be more resource intensive instead of time intensive.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#5 2023-06-04 18:47:00

forman

fug wrote:

I think Jason needs to look at allowing iron to be harvested from multiple mines to at least attempt to allow players to break away from villages to build their own outposts.

So back in the paving days I found a way around this
I was a road builder and we got so far ahead that I had to build a locked outpost so I could eat and make tools

I built a stone structure around a well with walls and four locked doors
Thing is, the iron did open eventually because people kept resettling towns, so eventually I was in a family that had not opened iron yet

The trick was to not put a bucket on the well because then the well kept breaking down every time the family died

IIRC when the well broke down, the once sunken iron vein opened up again and after a while rebuilding the well the iron opened

Once a vein is stripped it is permanently open that was the fix

I used to actually deliberately setup eve spots thousands of tiles west with a shovel and axe to expose more iron along the highway
Just keep rebuilding the well and then strip the vein after it opens

Note: I may be remembering this incorrectly it was a couple years ago at least

#6 2023-06-05 05:02:17

Marquis

Nay.

Apocalypse does undo people’s work. Somebody started as an Eve. Somebody set up a camp. Somebody layed out the farm, the buildings, the livestock. If apocalypse is supposed to give you that opportunity, it can only do so by taking it away from someone else.

I’ve been playing for a year and I’ve never been an eve. But I only play about once a week, and whatever the mechanics, it’s never been my chance. And that’s it; Eves are related to population growth. With a constant player count, you don’t get new eves.

I really want some way to get that early game play, too. But if I finally got it, and then apocalypse hit, I would be so bummed.

I’m interested in what fug wrote. Maybe family can unlock wells locked out by the original well. I would really appreciate some Darwinian competition for where to live within the same family. Another town where I can raise my kids only 80 tiles away is a low enough switching cost to put some pressure towards higher standards of living.

#7 2023-06-05 05:05:27

Tarr
Banned

Again, before jason "balanced" things everyone could run off and create a new off-shoot town. It's annoying for all the new people to make splits BUT allowing people to make new towns allows everyone to start something new. Food degrading means only the best of towns can be off shoots as player have to make plenty of individual foods to make a viable town. Basically good players could make a new town which is good.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2023-06-05 07:19:35

FulmenTheFinn

Yay.

The last hard wipe was over 14 months ago. In my books they should happen at least twice a year, maybe four times a year; once every quarter.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

Board footer