One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-25 02:16:15

forman

People Keep Resettling Old Towns

Basically just hoping Jason sees this now  he's back

The major cataclysmic issue I see with OHOL right now is that players keep retelling in old villages
A year or two ago this became so bad that it actually broke the game spawn and families were like 50k apart

Even though it is not that bad at the moment the resettling and looting of old towns is ruining gameplay
It is basically the equivalent of using cheat codes and there's nothing that can really be done to stop it

I assume the purpose of the game was create new cities, new towns, and continually revisit the entire tech tree with each new family
By looting/resettling the majority of game content is entirely bypassed

I have literally stopped playing the game for months at a time because there have been no new towns and essentially nothing to do

Please fix this some how

At very least there should be a time limit after which wells simply collapse

#2 2023-05-25 07:24:53

LonelyNeptune

Re: People Keep Resettling Old Towns

Posting to corroborate how utterly annoying this phenomenon is.

When you're born into a freshly resettled old town, there's no opportunities to do anything new. You're stuck urgently resolving the same issues that made the town unfit for habitation in the first place. Some towns become home to a dozen different families.

Also, some families will most east SEVERAL TIMES over the lifetime of the family. Your most unskilled players have figured out how to move or split a family, and now they do it constantly. So there's not even a point to working to establish the family at their new location - they might be somewhere else two hours from now.

#3 2023-05-25 11:35:58

Arcurus

How about add some terrain like mountains and see (or if nothing else is there the rift wall) that blocks player movement to new spawns for some time. even later on brining in items from outside could be restricted.

#4 2023-05-25 16:02:10

jinbaili83

i think a next level well upgrade should cause a rift around a town. Or even better a chance for apocalypse to happen.

If people want to push resources in region for to long they ask for end of the world.

#5 2023-05-25 22:56:11

fug

This has literally always been a thing in this game.

The issue in my opinion is that because Jason changed iron to only be unlocked once people who would prefer to play in either a new area or start a new village are screwed over because they cannot know if their iron has been used or not.

People who want to return to their previous villages can do so since people build highways which just lets the players easily resettle the old villages regardless if it's viable to do so or not.

Both sides have negatives as playing as a pretend Eve will kill the family branch due to generational food decay and people migrating east will make it difficult for the server be stable due to families getting further and further apart.

The apocalypse in it's current form is undoable hence why we've not seen it done in the last 415 days or so due to a combination of lack of knowledge on the goofballs making them, and the skill difference of the players who stop them. The apocalypse shouldn't be a time based trigger but something that requires a large amount of resources and a group of people so it's more of a group decision to wipe the server.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#6 2023-05-25 23:40:15

forman

well just need to collapse and by that I mean just change to 'exhausted well' not even an new image or anything
it is the simplest and most complete solution

I don't even care if a place gets resettled once or even twice
but eventually the well has to go down making it no longer possible to do so

#7 2023-05-26 01:38:21

fug

But that's the point of kerosene. You can't live somewhere without oil and eventually oil gets too scarce in an area to repopulate it without the effort of pro players basically constantly running supplies of kerosene.

Just because you don't want to be stuck in the same city doesn't me the new people don't. I mean I personally only play in new villages so I wait until something fresh pops up instead of playing in the cities I find boring. There doesn't need to be  mechanic to block going to a place some much as there needs to be a means for people to start fresh when wanted/needed.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#8 2023-05-26 03:11:04

forman

As I said, it's so bad that ALL of the families have been locked into old towns for MONTHS at a time every time I logged in.

I literally stopped playing because of this.

If there is a limit to say 20 or 30 cans of kero for a city at least at SOME POINT  the MUST move on

#9 2023-05-26 04:21:40

selalov734

I have the perfect solution for this problem:

Old people have a chance to create a disease.
As soon as someone turns 40, each year (minute) the server will calculate if that person will create a disease.
The more people that are around the old person, the higher the probability that they will create a disease and the older the person the higher the probability.
A 55 year old living in a big town will have a much higher probability than a 43 year old living in a small town.
But the probability should always be small overall.
So lets say the probability of creating a disease of someone that lives to 60 in a big town is like 2%
That would mean that the longer a big town exists the higher the chance that a disease is created.

The disease will have no effects and will not be visible (for the person that created it)
But after a sick person dies, their corpse becomes an infection risk.
Being near the corpse of the sick person might cause you to catch the disease.
If a sick person is buried the corpse will be safe, no more risk of infecting other people.

If you catch a disease:
In the first 3 years it does nothing.
In the following 3 years it still does nothing but other people around you might catch it from you. (without knowing it)
After that you start loosing health, similar to aging until you die a premature death.
At first you lose health slowly and then it goes faster and faster.
After 9 years of being infected your appearance changes and it is visible for everyone that you are infected.

So if you go and get resources from an old abandon town, there might still be old corpses of infected people, you might catch a disease bring it back to your village and accidentally kill everyone there.
But there should also be a difficult to make cure, you create some sort of medicine and use it on a person and that might cure that person.
Young people should have a lower risk of getting infected than old people.

#10 2023-05-27 01:32:06

Marquis

selalov734 wrote:

…and accidentally kill everyone there.

Griefer exploit, right there.

Not that I think this needs fixed, but my vote goes for The Langoliers.

#11 2023-05-28 20:00:26

Spoonwood

From a reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/onehouronelife … _opinions/

beeOela wrote:

"All families should be rebuilding from scratch in making new settlements"

Indeed. That's the point of the game.

From the Steam page:

jasonrohrer wrote:

Leave a legacy for the next generation as you help to rebuild civilization from scratch.

From another reddit thread:  https://www.reddit.com/r/onehouronelife … n_falling/

SoloAceMouse wrote:

Once a family dies out their town is usually looted for the benefit of the future towns.

Since no one is around to inhabit the dead town, the supplies and resources are scavenged by looters. This process may be compared to the practice in medieval Europe of repurposing Roman stoneworks for use as construction materials.

fug wrote:

This has literally always been a thing in this game.

The issue in my opinion is that because Jason changed iron to only be unlocked once people who would prefer to play in either a new area or start a new village are screwed over because they cannot know if their iron has been used or not.

Not literally, but for a very long time.  Like maybe a few days after the first 2018 release.  But, honestly I don't think it wasn't so bad between the Steam release and The Come Together Disaster.  ALL parts of that update were bad that I recall... I DO mean the artificially imposed MIS-TRANSLATION of PLAYER GENERATED messages also... were bad.  Honestly, the messaging system can get compared to taking a text in English with an expectation that it gets translated into Spanish for a Spanish speaker, but it gets translated in ancient Mayan where none of us know the vocabulary of ancient Mayan or it's grammar. 

The problem got worse after The Rift, since new settlements couldn't get built.

And though maybe better for a short period, it got worse after the iron changes and food generational decline.

The real source of the issue?  The issue comes about, because someone in the family can go to an old town.   One solution seems simple enough: one family per server.  If it had always been one family per server, then every single family would have been rebuilding from scratch as a family.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#12 2023-05-28 21:21:33

fug

I really don't think there should be one family per server even if he reenabled babies being born different races I believe it would be boring. Without going through all the hub bub of talking racial restrictions I believe there should at least a few different families. The game is properly balanced (imo) around 10-15 people per family, not too much struggling and not too much to worry about. When we've seen 30+ people in a family things get chaotic which I mean is cool but it becomes difficult to actually teach people.

If no racial restrictions the game should probably spit out an Eve for every 15 players on the server which would lead to an average of 4-5 families when peak times. I'm honestly at the point that I believe if people can run around and constantly supply kerosene then iron should be unlockable just like multiple wells. Kerosene is the what determines whether or not an area is livable, there's too many dead families producing iron or whatever.

Letting iron be produced like wells would allow people to run off and start new areas which is both good and bad. Good because people can stop complaining about resettling, bad because pip food decay will kill anyone trying to do this without the skillset to actually produce yum quickly.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#13 2023-05-28 21:43:29

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

The game is properly balanced (imo) around 10-15 people per family, not too much struggling and not too much to worry about.

This implies that for a server of 120 players, the game would have 8 to 12 families on a server.

Danish Clinch.

#14 2023-05-28 21:45:02

LonelyNeptune

Thanks for that hot bit of arithmetic. Really contributes to the conversation.

#15 2023-05-28 22:54:28

Spoonwood

LonelyNeptune wrote:

Thanks for that hot bit of arithmetic. Really contributes to the conversation.

I feel confused by your message.  I read "hot bit" as implying that there was something like a "hot take" with my arithmetic.  For sure, I don't see how the little bit of reasoning and math I did there is some sort of "hot take".  I didn't draw any further inferences.  Nor did I state any opinions about Tarr's suggested number of families.

Maybe I'd do better to just say "you're welcome", and maybe I've read into what you wrote, but I have a feeling you read into what I wrote.

And I would say that sometimes consequences do get missed.  So, making an inference and doing some arithmetic CAN be a contribution to a conversation.

But then again, OHOL doesn't encourage arithmetic and is poor at encouraging reasoning too.

And people who resettle old towns, likely are poor at reasoning also, since it leads to the nonsense of spread out families.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2023-05-28 23:02:02)

Danish Clinch.

#16 2023-05-29 00:11:51

LonelyNeptune

I'm surprised that you didn't break out Merriam-Webster's dictionary for that one.

#17 2023-05-29 00:19:12

Spoonwood

LonelyNeptune wrote:

I'm surprised that you didn't break out Merriam-Webster's dictionary for that one.

How do you know if I did or didn't, since I didn't say anything Merriam-Webster's dictionary?

Danish Clinch.

Board footer