One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-11 08:47:57

Roolstar

Setting up a private server where you spawn where you died as eve

I realize this might be a big ask, but can someone post step-by-step instructions FOR DUMMIES on how to set up your own game server on windows PC locally and play on it.

I read Jason's thread https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=112 but don't really understand most of the terms: I'm not so well versed in this.

If someone's up to the task, all I would like is being able to build a village on my own and spawn at the same place where I died to continue my progress.

The purpose mainly is learning and experimenting on my own.

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#2 2018-04-11 09:29:44

Aurora Aurora

Re: Setting up a private server where you spawn where you died as eve

That's a really dumb idea, just having 20 eves spawning and dying at the same place isnt going to be fun

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#3 2018-04-11 12:49:36

Roolstar

Well I want to build a whole colony on my own and work my way up the tech tree.

I'm joining empty official servers to do just that.

However, it's really shitty for me to start all over again every time I spawn in the middle of nowhere: It takes me 1 life to get carrots and milkwheet planted which is 1 hour of same gameplay over and over and over again.

I get this is not the original purpose of the game, but still since a private server can be set up, and hopefully i can incorporate a way to spawn where I  choose to (or where I last died at least), I'm asking if someone can explain how to do this step-by-step in details.

Words like "git pull" are lost on me so I can't follow the directions of Jason.
I don't even know where to start.

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#4 2018-04-11 13:15:48

breezeknight

@Roolstar

you are completely entitled to set up a server as it pleases you,
don't need to apologize to other players with different ideas about the gameplay

can't unfortunately help you but you could ask in some of the other threads, where players have set up their own servers
here a small list https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=689

#5 2018-04-11 13:30:38

Roolstar

@breezeknight

Thx for pointing me in the right direction

#6 2018-04-11 16:33:49

EvyatarB

I was looking for a way to do that as well.
if you succeed please post how here

#7 2018-04-11 18:49:48

bread_lord

Jason's instructions are for those running Linux.  You can try following this guide https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=498 instead; Bimble's directions are quite thorough but feel free to ask questions here or in that thread if you encounter difficulties.  Following his instructions will allow you to host a private server in the virtual machine and play using your normal windows client (I don't recommend playing with the VM client).

Discord: weasel_bread#2656

#8 2018-04-11 20:58:43

Roolstar

@bread_lord

Thank you so much

#9 2018-04-11 21:14:11

Go! Bwah!

Roolstar wrote:

hopefully i can incorporate a way to spawn where I  choose to (or where I last died at least)

It used to be that if you lived to 60 and died of old age, you would respawn near your camp.  However, with the recent changes to spread Eves out, that probably doesn't work anymore.  But on the server there should still be some files you can edit to spawn in the same location every time:

forceEveLocation.ini (set this to 1)

forceEveLocationX.ini (edit these if location (0, 0) sucks)
forceEveLocationY.ini

If you've found a good location, I'm not sure how to find the coordinates so that you can edit those X/Y files properly.  I mean, there are plenty of possibilities, but I don't know what the current state of things is and what the easiest way is.  Maybe somebody else can chime in?

Or, you could always just shotgun it - change the numbers and see where it puts you.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#10 2018-04-11 21:36:30

Roolstar

Go! Bwah! wrote:

It used to be that if you lived to 60 and died of old age, you would respawn near your camp.  However, with the recent changes to spread Eves out, that probably doesn't work anymore.  But on the server there should still be some files you can edit to spawn in the same location every time:

forceEveLocation.ini (set this to 1)

forceEveLocationX.ini (edit these if location (0, 0) sucks)
forceEveLocationY.ini

If you've found a good location, I'm not sure how to find the coordinates so that you can edit those X/Y files properly.  I mean, there are plenty of possibilities, but I don't know what the current state of things is and what the easiest way is.  Maybe somebody else can chime in?

Or, you could always just shotgun it - change the numbers and see where it puts you.

I'll try doing this and messing around once I've got the server setup, and maybe I update this thread if I find something interesting to share.

#11 2018-04-12 22:18:33

earlgraytea

Go! Bwah! wrote:

It used to be that if you lived to 60 and died of old age, you would respawn near your camp.  However, with the recent changes to spread Eves out, that probably doesn't work anymore.

I believe that this still works on the public servers, even with the recent update. When you die of old age as an Eve on one of the public servers, the location of your "camp" is saved to your user database. If you die of anything else, this information is deleted forever.

The main difference is that before the Eve update, even if you lost your camp you would still have a pretty high chance of finding it again (since Eves were set to spawn near camps and everything was relatively close). But if you lose your camp now, you'll probably have to start over since you'll most likely spawn somewhere very far away.

So @Roolstar you could still achieve your goal on one of the public servers (just go to one that's usually empty). But setting up your own server might still be a good idea if you want to customize stuff, or just want some added assurance that you won't lose your camp (those tree snakes will get you sometimes).

Board footer