One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-19 20:34:05

Eve Troll

Language System Is Counter Intuitive

So families can only learn other family's languages if they live with the family for several generations.

Families of different races cant produces offspring in the same town. So it's next to impossible for one family to learn another language.

This forced segregation isolates families. Despite the necessity of sharing resources we have no real ability to negotiate those trades.

If race restrictions will not be removed and we're still not allowed to have multifamily towns at least consider removing the language barrier so families can communicate and work together effectively.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2022-05-19 23:51:14)

#2 2022-05-20 04:04:21

fug

Re: Language System Is Counter Intuitive

As with most systems in the game it was added at a time where it made "sense" in a means of deterring people from having mixed race families but now due to the fact people can never remain close enough to actually learn the system it's busted.

I really have disdain for systems that encourage players to just avoid the language system entirely. Obviously previous to this people used phex chat to get around the dumb language barrier and without it vet groups just go to different towns and do all the stuff anyways. We just end up getting into these dumb cycles where Jason introduces something then fixes it followed by him breaking it again by not thinking about what was previously put in place which is the exact cycle of how languages worked.

Introduce people speaking gibberish, add in learning languages, then make it so you can't actually learn by making people not be near each other. Good work.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2022-05-20 06:34:14

JonySky
Website

When there is no structured work... these things happen
When there is no previous planning (roadmap) before executing a new update... these things happen
When problems are solved with patches... these things happen
When it is allowed to play with mods that make the game easier for those who use it... these things happen
Don't worry... The plan moving forward

#4 2022-05-20 12:56:30

Laggy

The problem is the massive amount of springs made dry when a well is dug.

Families can't live within 200 tiles of each other.

Plus the eve system spawns eves so far away from current families.

Fix wells, and eve spawns please!!!

Language is just indicator of how broken the mechanics truly are.

Last edited by Laggy (2022-05-20 13:00:02)

#5 2022-10-18 01:57:30

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

The problem is the massive amount of springs made dry when a well is dug.

Families can't live within 200 tiles of each other.

Plus the eve system spawns eves so far away from current families.

Fix wells, and eve spawns please!!!

Language is just indicator of how broken the mechanics truly are.

Eve spawns seem to spawn just to the left of the most recent dug up well.  I say this based on two consecutive Eve lives as Ginger (the first one my child died at 14).  On the second life, I ran a little right looking for milkweed, like around 40 tiles, and I saw the furthest iron vein that I had unlocked from the previous life.  The first life I had run maybe 80 tiles left.  So, it seems to spawn Eves just outside of the 160-tile iron unlock radius from the last iron unlock.  Families though spreading out happens in the following ways I think:

1. Some family like ginger Weasners survives a long time.  There are many Eve spawns along the way.  So, they eventually get farther and farther from other families.  I note that the ginger Weasners started from scratch.

2. One Eve runs right back to an old town, while another Eve runs left.  Depending on how far the Eves run, that can very much spread out families.  Wouldn't really matter if they spawned in the same column. 

No tapout though would make it likely that Eves could find closer spots to old towns in more cases.  But, there's still iron to consider.  Even without iron to consider, there's still the issue of Eves running in opposite directions.  In the end, there's ultimately no workable fix within the context of race restrictions.  At some point in time, two families will be far away from each other horizontally due to some family wanting to resettle an old town and another wanting to start from scratch or because of some family surviving a long time, while many other Eves spawn.  It's one big mess, and the mess shows that the core idea is flawed with families dying out all the time and families existing in different eras... like the other day I went to the tan family to get latex and palm oil as black.  IRL was in the tan family and said:

"I just started as Eve and you want rubber."  or something like that.

And I'm like "yea, well, that's how it works."

I also recall one time being a black Eve and someone comes and drops off palm oil, and then I got her sulfur (didn't... and couldn't... ask what she wanted... put sulfur in her bowls with her horsecart, and she left).

I also remember one time watching a streamer with a truck as ginger go to an Eve to get latex and palm oil.  It doesn't make any sense. 

There is no way to expect that families will consistently be at similar levels of development.  That can only get expected to happen at arc reset, and oh that part about when I was black Eve and getting palm oil?  That was *just* one or two days AFTER an arc reset.

Eve Troll wrote:

If race restrictions will not be removed and we're still not allowed to have multifamily towns at least consider removing the language barrier so families can communicate and work together effectively.

The language barrier almost surely functions as a big time waster for new players.  They have 60 minutes to live.  I remember one streamer the other night saying he wish he knew how to do more in the 60 minutes he played.  But, he didn't get pressured to get rubber or other supplies, I think.  I ended up the other night being white and found some tans.  They were both new, and I had to explain everything about getting latex and palm oil.  With the language barrier in place, they almost surely are massively confused.  Even them figuring out that paper dropped at their feet is legible/readable for them is very tricky.  Other times I've gone to blacks and tried to get sulfur.  I get confused looks.  Even after I get them to a desert with a note saying something "CAN SOMEONE COME WITH ME TO A HOT SPRING TO GET SULFUR PLZ", getting a new player to get sulfur from a hot spring is very, very time consuming and no doubt confusing for them.  I feel confident in saying that their experience would be more enjoyable if I could talk to them and explain to them how to get things, like how I sometimes can teach someone new to some or all specialty stuff in PXChat something like "6 bowls of palm oil fit in a bucket".

The game would also easily be better if it had a universal chat system available *to all* players.  That the game doesn't have one, shows another longstanding deficiency with it's design, as it's also one way that destructive players become less effective.  But, then again, removing the language barrier would require a lot less effort than designing a universal chat system for all players.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2022-10-18 07:15:00

Eve Troll

Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I still do hold hope jason comes back with a fresh mindset to hopefully organize this pile we have been shuffling through.

#7 2022-10-19 02:39:46

fug

He's looking to potentially do content in the winter so that's always good to look forward towards.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#8 2022-10-19 07:56:10

JasonZ

fug wrote:

He's looking to potentially do content in the winter so that's always good to look forward towards.

Wait how do you know?

Board footer