One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-29 07:22:27

Spoonwood

Not Appearing On My Deep Roots This Week: Tom Jobbins

Emma Pixler appears at the top of my deep roots this week: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=7941804

After I saw the apocalypse happen while watching Twitch streams I decided to wait a bit until there were new families.  I didn't think the surviving families would last that long, though the tan family definitely did fairly well making it to the later stages of a charcoal pump at least (they weren't very high gen., and had some rather experienced players).  I saw that there was a new Ginger family, and then logged in, and used /die a few times until I was either Eve or child of Eve.  I wasn't trying to pick a race or family, I just wanted to be in one of the new families without lower pips for food and relatives who survived the apocalypse having tool slots (the apocalypse doesn't reset settings, and tool slots is a settings file?).

I ended up as Tom Jobbins http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=7947357, and Jobbity on PXchat was saying that s/he was the Eve.  I got asked to look for a spot, and after making a basket and the three primary starter tools (rabbit snare, fire bow drill, hatchet) found the spot where Jobbins family made their camp, which as I write has a place that made a belltower without resettling and has survived for 128 generations.  In my second life there I ended up starting on a belltower, and ended up finishing it up Monday afternoon in another life, but that's a bit of a digression.

I remember getting sealskin for myself and throwing it either one of my sisters or nieces.  I don't think I made the shovel, though I could have gotten a branch for it.  I think I made the axe?  I think I did make the steel file blank.  I definitely remember going to the nearby swamp and digging up tule stumps (which I always do in early camps.. I didn't dig up the well) and cutting down tule reeds, making baskets with them, and digging up tule stumps (though I didn't cup up all the tule reeds in that swamp).  Then I started making an adobe oven base pen with the tule stumps I had dug up.  Just kidding, I haven't done that for a long time, but digging up tule stumps early can have it's uses.  A bear, just one, came to the village at some point in time, and I made two more arrows, someone else lead it away so I didn't need the arrows, but they were around, and unfortunately I think I didn't quite make all the tools for a cart that life.  I farmed some also, and watered grey berry bushes.

I'm not going to claim that I was the most productive member of generation 2 or that was my best life.  But, genetic score is tracked for male characters.  And the lineage chain/reincarnation mechanic exists.  So, clearly, descendants of male characters get tracked in some way.  However, for characters like Tom Jobbins whether they are male or they are female who just don't have any children by sheer luck they have no possibility of appearing on "deep roots", which gets tracked on the family trees page.

It doesn't seem consistent that one can be a productive early generation character, the family survive a long time, help towards that, and not get any recognition of such, because you didn't have any children that life.

Thinking back I had this sort of thing happen at least once before which comes to mind.  I was the male smith of the Pie family a long time ago: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9029 and in part wrote about it, because of someone's idiocy about needing something that they didn't and trying to make that something, when they didn't know how to make it from scratch.  I also learned something about how to counter the idiocy of such a person without killing them.

My all-time deep roots is from Athena Red: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6858503 with a lineage depth of 234.  But, Pooyah Pie could have reincarnated 340 generations into the family, and thus should have more credit than Athena Red.  It would be better if deep roots had something for male characters.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2022-03-29 07:26:17)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2022-03-29 13:40:44

LonelyNeptune

Re: Not Appearing On My Deep Roots This Week: Tom Jobbins

Nobody cares.

#3 2022-03-29 16:45:10

Spoonwood

LonelyNeptune wrote:

Nobody cares.

I care, so your statement is not correct.  Why don't next time you try to see if you statement makes any sense before saying it?  Are you scared of thinking?

Danish Clinch.

#4 2022-03-29 19:55:21

Laggy

Are you trying to say males don't show up in long lines in family tree page?

Or are you trying to say that males don't show up in deep roots?

My all time long lines show the Tini family at generation 813 and this nameless male. http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5967331

All the deep roots shows only Eves, so ya, no males there.

I don't get what your trying to ask, or say even after reading your post a couple times.

Last edited by Laggy (2022-03-29 19:56:50)

#5 2022-03-29 21:17:07

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

Are you trying to say males don't show up in long lines in family tree page?

Or are you trying to say that males don't show up in deep roots?

I'm saying that males don't show up in deep roots (also females who just unluckily don't have children, while their sisters do, won't show up in deep roots or will be at the bottom of that score system).  Males show up in long lines, since they live at a high generation.  They don't show up in deep roots and can't, no matter what their contribution was (unless there are too few females who had children).  In addition to development of a town, it's theoretically possible for some female character to birth a child at 14, die shortly thereafter, and the male ends up feeding the child even before she can feed herself, and the rest of the descendants come from that female child.  But, the male would get no credit on deep roots.

Laggy wrote:

All the deep roots shows only Eves, so ya, no males there.

That's deep roots for all players combined.  This page: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … front_page  However, if you click on the 'family trees' link in the login screen you have a page for your own personal records on that account, including records for that week.  Hence, I mentioned that Tom Jobbins doesn't appear on *my* deep roots for this week.  You can also compare via character's names.  When I click on my 'family trees' link I get my personal all time deep roots, which is why I mentioned Athena Red at the end of this post, and this week's deep roots.  But, Tom Jobbins "deep roots" doesn't appear for this week, even though he had more influence on that place and what that family had than say April Jobbins who starved at 9.

Emma Pixler had living relatives who lived for 68 more generations.  Tom Jobbins had living relatives who lived for 150+ generations and Tom Jobbins lived to 60 (you can confirm both of those and don't need to take my word for those facts).  But, Tom Jobbins doesn't get any credit, and couldn't get any credit on deep roots for having relatives who lived to high generation.

Thanks for asking and trying to understand Laggy!

Last edited by Spoonwood (2022-03-29 21:17:26)

Danish Clinch.

#6 2022-03-30 12:35:54

Laggy

This is the problem with being male nowadays... No respect!

I 'am sure this is not a bug and Jason has some reason for this, or he can make up one really quick.

Never looked at that family tree page in the log-in screen before so I doubt Jason notices.

I think we need a hierarchy tree, where we can see who was leader, who passed them lead, and who was picked by the system to determine who was in charge when a family dies.

It's not like we remember the court jester and forget about the King?

Last edited by Laggy (2022-03-30 12:36:50)

#7 2022-03-30 22:40:32

LonelyNeptune

Spoonwood wrote:
LonelyNeptune wrote:

Nobody cares.

I care, so your statement is not correct.  Why don't next time you try to see if you statement makes any sense before saying it?  Are you scared of thinking?

It should stand to reason that you are nobody.

Checkmate, atheists.

#8 2022-03-31 02:52:26

Spoonwood

LonelyNeptune wrote:

It should stand to reason that you are nobody.

That doesn't make any sense.  You haven't done anything here but acted foolishly.

Danish Clinch.

#9 2022-03-31 09:09:20

LonelyNeptune

Spoonwood wrote:

That doesn't make any sense.  You haven't done anything here but acted foolishly.

Everything I've said makes perfect sense, you're just confused because I'm typing like a human being instead of a robot with a spoon taped to it.

Board footer