One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-31 15:58:09

Vescator

the pauze button

I have been playing one hour one life again. I am pleasantly surprised by the changes in the food system.

As I am playing one hour one life I am missing a feature. I can't pause the game. It really bugs me. I can't be fully committed to this game for an hour. I have other things to do. I need to do laundry, cooking or using the toilet. But doing these activities while playing your game means I will die. I think that that is bad game design. What can we do so that we can pause the game even though it is a multiplayer game?

I would like to propose the following change. You consume food only when doing activities, not when idling. If I need to use the toilet I can just go and not worry about the game. I can still die by another player or of old age but they aren't as common.

#2 2018-01-01 00:19:23

OldBaby

Re: the pauze button

I think this suggestion may be harder to make consistent with the rest of the game and the intentions for the game than you realize.

#3 2018-01-01 00:30:21

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Interesting idea....

You'd still get older, of course.

But one side effect of this would be that you could get very low on food and then just stand there until someone brings you some food.

Also, I'm not sure how it would work for babies.  If they just stand still, they will not need to be taken care of.

So, you could make it NOT work for babies, but only for adults?

Here's another thing...  if you put on warm cloths and stand in a warm place, your food consumption goes way down.  You can easily last several minutes without eating by doing that.

So you might want to do that before doing other activities.

Also, have you played team-based multiplayer games before, like LOL?  There's no pause there, and if you run off to do laundry, you are letting your team down.

Usually, you plan on a full hour to play LOL.

#4 2018-01-01 11:50:34

jcwilk

What if your character automatically ate food that was stored in their backpack when their hunger gets down to 2 remaining squares? If you put 4 carrots into the backpack then you could idle for quite awhile. Even longer if you had higher quality foods. Would also be nice for end of life, you could stick a few berries in there to make it a little less stressful to make it to old age death. Would make the backpack more useful and less tedious (kind of a pain to take it off, drop it, take something out, eat it, pick it up, put it back on).

Maybe it could also be the case for a basket you're holding so that early game players could still idle, albeit less conveniently. Also makes exploring easier and less tedious.

#5 2018-01-01 14:24:43

yvanhooe

Just a quick note: you don't need to unequip a backpack to take from it. Just right click on it and it will take the last item you put in. Super convenient when you pack correctly.

#6 2018-01-01 14:47:51

jcwilk

Oops yeah you're right, thanks for the correction. IMO it'd still be a really valuable change for "pausing" reasons, but yeah as is backpacks aren't quite as cumbersome as I described.

#7 2018-01-01 17:25:38

renwold

I really like the idea of the character being able to automatically eat from a container they have equipped.

If there are reasons to unequip a backpack or basket at times or to eat different types of foods based on the effects they apply then it would still be preferable in many situations to manually manage rations, but it resolves the issue where a player has successfully managed to scavenge an abundance of food and then either neglects to feed themselves or needs to step away for a moment, both of which are frustrating ways of dying. Basically, it would be a nice quality of life change even for users who ARE actively playing because it would represent an additional benefit of wearable containers and remove one of the moment-to-moment 'chores' of surviving.

Don't Starve from Klei sort of addresses this in their multiplayer mode by allowing players to force feed other players, but that method still requires that other players be nearby and somehow aware of how hungry you are.

#8 2018-01-02 16:35:28

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Force feeding works in this game too!

I'm not sure about changing the way eating works, or automating it.  If you are warm, you have quite a long time between necessary feedings.  I think a lot of people "micro manage" it out of anxiety and keep it topped off at all times, but really, if food is around, you can just let it go down to the bottom before eating again.

Finally, I don't think I want to add ways to allow people to be AFK zombies....  The game is only an hour long.  It think that people can plan around that pretty easily.  And then they can be "always on" during that hour... alive and responsive.   Finally, it's not like each life is incredibly precious.  If you're a half hour in, you're also only a half our away from death.  Getting born again is part of the game.  So if you really need to run to the bathroom....

Also, this will be much less of a problem at higher populations, where single players aren't going to lose many hours of progress if they die.  That's a corner case that will pretty much never happen if the game is successful.   So I don't want to design around that too much.

#9 2022-05-25 07:19:36

Wood

Should be good to go take a shit if you're yumming properly, you don't have to eat for like 30 years. Meanwhile people just strip berry bushes for gameplay.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.

#10 2022-05-25 11:35:49

Laggy

Wood wrote:

Should be good to go take a shit if you're yumming properly, you don't have to eat for like 30 years. Meanwhile people just strip berry bushes for gameplay.

This is 2018 long before endless yum chain, not really relevant now.

Board footer