One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-27 15:46:37

Spoonwood

live-dev-changes 4th Week of November (November 20th-26th)

No changes during this time period.

Edit: live-dev-changes refers to the section of the discord entitle "live-dev-changes".

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-12-05 15:15:51)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2021-11-27 15:48:29

Dodge

Re: live-dev-changes 4th Week of November (November 20th-26th)

get a life?

#3 2021-11-27 15:51:39

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

get a life?

I am alive, and thus have a life, thank you.

Danish Clinch.

#4 2021-11-27 16:01:30

Dodge

man are you also like that irl? if that's the case i cant even imagine how you socialize it must so frustrating to have even a regular conversation where you're unable to make sense of anything that someone tells you unless they speak to you like you're two years old.

But i'm pretty sure you already know that words have more that one meaning and for some reason you find it clever to use one meaning of it and attempt to correct everyone on the meaning of it.

oh wait, this isn't a simulation therefore this is real life thus it's already irl..............lmao

#5 2021-11-27 16:48:03

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

man are you also like that irl? if that's the case i cant even imagine how you socialize it must so frustrating to have even a regular conversation where you're unable to make sense of anything that someone tells you unless they speak to you like you're two years old.

I'm pretty sure that you insulted me before this.  Insulting someone is not a way to socialize with people.  Now you try to lecture me.

Dodge wrote:

But i'm pretty sure you already know that words have more that one meaning and for some reason you find it clever to use one meaning of it and attempt to correct everyone on the meaning of it.

I don't know any other meaning of "life" than "life".

You can't even explain what "get a life?" means Dodge.  Not being able to explain what things mean is a sign of poor social skills, and the people who use such a phrase as "get a life" almost invariably have poor social skills, since they speak gibberish or they tell people to get something that they already have.

Again, I'm alive.  Therefore, I have a life.

Danish Clinch.

#6 2021-11-27 17:17:54

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

I don't know any other meaning of "life" than "life".

You can't even explain what "get a life?" means Dodge.

Here you go, Spoon.   Here is a detailed explanation of this common idiom used by people across the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_a_life_(idiom)

And here is a dictionary definition, in case wikipedia is not a strong enough reference:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/di … get-a-life

Lastly, if you are not familiar with the concept, an idiom is a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words. Even young children are able to understand and use common idioms, because they learn to recognize context and ask questions when something doesn't make sense.

#7 2021-11-27 17:45:38

Dodge

Never mind i was wrong you're not pretending you're actually 100% dense, also you never asked me to explain to you what it means.

Spoonwood wrote:

You can't even explain what "get a life?" means Dodge.  Not being able to explain what things mean is a sign of poor social skills, and the people who use such a phrase as "get a life" almost invariably have poor social skills, since they speak gibberish or they tell people to get something that they already have.

You're unironically like a child that answers with "no u"

#8 2021-11-27 18:03:07

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Here you go, Spoon.   Here is a detailed explanation of this common idiom used by people across the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_a_life_(idiom)

And here is a dictionary definition, in case wikipedia is not a strong enough reference:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/di … get-a-life

You aren't Dodge.

It's still gibberish to say "get a life".  There is no objective meaning to it.

Dodge wrote:

You're unironically like a child that answers with "no u"

What you claim about social skills Dodge is not a reflection of me.  It comes from you projecting traits that you have.  You couldn't express yourself clearly before and thus acted in an socially inept manner with your first comment.  After all, I didn't accept it (and still don't... it's a phrase that has no objective meaning and reflects that the person making it is disinterested *personally*, and not reflective of anything about the person who it got uttered to).  If you weren't projecting, you would have expressed yourself clearly.

But also, NO, how I responded is not a "no u", because I didn't say "get a life" to you, because that phrase is rubbish.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-11-27 18:03:53)

Danish Clinch.

#9 2021-11-27 18:16:14

Dodge

Spoonwood telling me i'm socially inept, the irony is burning my soul, lmao.

If you dont know something just google it, that's what i usually do when i dont know something, marvelous the golden age of information we live in.

No i'm not projecting, the sentence i typed was a very clear way to express what i thought about the situation, was it rude or unecessary, yes maybe, was it inept, no, would it have been inept had i said the same thing in a different setting like in real life telling someone you barely know to "get a life" maybe yes maybe no depends on the situation, but this is the internet the social rules are different.

#10 2021-11-27 18:29:52

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Spoonwood telling me i'm socially inept, the irony is burning my soul, lmao.

You're still trying to insult someone Dodge.  Insulting people is indicative of lack of social skills.

Dodge wrote:

If you dont know something just google it, that's what i usually do when i dont know something, marvelous the golden age of information we live in.

I'm not going to be using that search engine.  Also, I was and am still well aware that the phrase you used is gibberish and indicative of poor social skills when used.

Dodge wrote:

No i'm not projecting, the sentence i typed was a very clear way to express what i thought about the situation, was it rude or unecessary, yes maybe, was it inept, no

Being rude is indicative of a lack of social skills.  So, yes, it was inept, since it was rude.

Dodge wrote:

would it have been inept had i said the same thing in a different setting like in real life telling someone you barely know to "get a life" maybe yes maybe no depends on the situation, but this is the internet the social rules are different.

It's inept in any context.  You don't build rapport or collegiality with people through such insults.

Danish Clinch.

#11 2021-11-27 18:34:34

Dodge

afkgaming-2021-08-79649079-d0e7-4acd-853b-6a2b92797da3-copium-png.png "It's you not me"

#12 2021-11-27 18:51:07

selalov734

Dodge if you have a life why are you here arguing with spoonwood?
How many days did you waste here on the forums arguing with spoonwood?
I think you have to get a life

#13 2021-11-27 18:59:22

Dodge

selalov734 wrote:

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

You came here to defend spooney wooney? So cute

#14 2021-11-27 19:02:50

DestinyCall

You are not making any sense, Selalov734.

Dodge is alive, so he clearly must already have a life.   Why would he need to get one?   You should work on expressing yourself more clearly instead of speaking gibberish.

#15 2021-11-27 19:06:27

selalov734

Dodge wrote:
selalov734 wrote:

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

You came here to defend spooney wooney? So cute

Oh so you think spoonwood is not enjoying posting here and that is why he should get a life?
And you are also saying you are enjoying the discussions you have with spoonwood?

And no i did not came to defend spooney wooney, he is more than capable of defending himself and destroying you as he has demonstrated many times. (most recently in this thread here)

#16 2021-11-27 19:30:38

Dodge

selalov734 wrote:

And no i did not came to defend spooney wooney, he is more than capable of defending himself and destroying you as he has demonstrated many times. (most recently in this thread here)

Hmmm so you really think his delusionnal logic makes sense, interesting, did we found a spoonwood number 2?

Yes when i told him to "get a life" and he tells me "i am alive so i have a life", it totally makes sense, that's absolutly what i meant by that, he "destroyed me" for sure.

"Oh so you think spoonwood is not enjoying posting here and that is why he should get a life?"

Yes

#17 2021-11-27 19:48:56

Eve Troll

GET (verb) - to gain possession of

TAKE (verb) - to transfer into one's own keeping

#18 2021-11-27 20:44:27

DestinyCall

Eve Troll wrote:

Yes.  I think we all need to just grow up and take a life already.

#19 2021-11-27 21:19:19

LilyFox

The game sure is dead, huh

#20 2021-11-27 21:24:53

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

You aren't Dodge.

How can you be so sure?   You don't know me.

Spoonwood wrote:

It's still gibberish to say "get a life".  There is no objective meaning to it.

All words lack objective meaning.   They are just a series of sounds or shapes that we have arbitrarily agreed mean something.   And what those sounds mean can change depending on context, language, and more.     You can use the same jumble of sounds to mean different things or different sounds that all mean the same thing.   As long as you can be understood,  it works.  We use language to communicate meaning, but that meaning is not universal or fixed.  It changes and moves over time and as usage evolves.  New words and expressions are formed.   Meanings change or get added or dropped.

Language is subjective.   Not objective.  Not logical.   Not uniform.    You want words to mean just one thing at a time.   But that is just not how it works.

The sentence "Ted kicked the bucket" can mean very different things, depending on context.    Is Ted a young kid playing in his backyard or a ninety year old with a bad heart?   It might be important to know before you talk to his family.  Likewise,  if I say "Alice is three sheets to the wind", I might be talking about an improperly secured sailboat or a drunk lady.   But chances are good that it will be obvious which interpretation fits better during a real conversation.

Being rude is certainly lacking in social graces.   But failing to acknowledge the existence of metaphor, idioms, and other figures of speech is just absurd and also seriously hampers social skills.   It makes it incredibly difficult to communicate clearly, since almost everyone uses words in non-literal ways during normal conversation.

#21 2021-11-27 21:49:52

fug

LilyFox wrote:

The game sure is dead, huh

We're all playing the INL alpha.

Ohol definitely dead.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#22 2021-11-27 22:14:14

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:

Not ok.  That turned from humorous to concerning.

Danish Clinch.

#23 2021-11-27 22:28:48

Laggy

FluxBB bbcode test

Merriam Webster has Spoonwoods picture right next to the definition for context.

Also, you guys are insane for trying to reason with the definition of unreasonable.

Last edited by Laggy (2021-11-27 22:42:41)

#24 2021-11-27 22:35:43

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:

Not ok.  That turned from humorous to concerning.

Is it okay if I promise to take it somewhere nice, like Disneyland?

Edit:  Wait, wait, wait ... why is this concerning?    I think there might be some kind of misunderstanding.

What did you think I meant when I said "take a life"?

Last edited by DestinyCall (2021-11-27 23:25:17)

#25 2021-11-27 22:36:21

LilyFox

fug wrote:

We're all playing the INL alpha.

Oh neat, I just noticed that I got access to it today.

Guess it's time to say goodbye to OHOL for now…

Board footer