a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-12-12 21:55:09

Arcurus

Re: Calling All Modders: Lets Fork OHOL

forman wrote:
jinbaili83 wrote:

Is this plan still valid ?

I'm going to take a look at it starting next week.

great to hear!

By the way, any chance that some one knows which command the server sends after a /LEADER to display the arrow to the leader?

Did not find it in the protocol file...

#27 2021-12-12 23:12:31

jinbaili83

Arcurus wrote:

By the way, any chance that some one knows which command the server sends after a /LEADER to display the arrow to the leader?

From what i can tell it's Player Say message.

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … 383b338884

server.cpp line 18621

Same format is used for waystones and offspring babies

I think its just like reading a map out loud.

Last edited by jinbaili83 (2021-12-12 23:26:54)

#28 2021-12-12 23:51:54

Arcurus

jinbaili83 wrote:
Arcurus wrote:

From what i can tell it's Player Say message.

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … 383b338884

server.cpp line 18621

Same format is used for waystones and offspring babies

I think its just like reading a map out loud.

yea, i think i found it now somewhere in Jasons code how to do now. I added it as missing in github:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/770

I guess since i never used maps much i was not thinking about that it is a say....

Still thx for your help, always great to know that here a lot of great people!

Last edited by Arcurus (2021-12-12 23:53:04)

#29 2021-12-13 00:00:18

Arcurus

jinbaili83 wrote:

Idk if this will take off there is already a branch of OHOL - Two hours one life and it has very small player base even though there are no race restrictions and lots of more things to craft. It is more single player oriented.
Multiplayer games that are not popular stay unpopular cuz people don't like playing alone.
You need few hundreds people just to keep game alive 24/7 so your version will need something much better than vanilla OHOL or target different group of players.

I currently try little bit out with NPCs on the new custom server.

For now the AI has an basic understanding of the crafting tree, so it can make lot of stuff if you give it a "make" command. For sure it has its shortcomings, but its quite progressing well.

The idea is then to have some basic NPCs that fill the gap if there are too few players to have villages.

The players can then give commands to their followers or hire new npc followers with currency.

Also i think the NPCs can be quite good guards so that combat could be allowed again.

In case some one wants to see the changes the custom server has to vanilla and the TODO what needs still to be worked on he can look in here:

https://github.com/PXshadow/OpenLife/bl … er/TODO.MD

Last edited by Arcurus (2021-12-13 00:04:57)

#30 2021-12-14 12:35:31

arkajalka

From my point of view these other versions of the core game dont pick up the wind. Also i feel like they just divide an already small player base. So i dont see myself ever supporting any of them. I have played almost 2000 hours of the vanilla game. Never used mods never played 2hol. Im here only for the real game.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#31 2021-12-14 15:14:40

Arcurus

lol, wanted to implement some emotes and look what the AI did:
It cooled me down by bringing a big snow ball, so that im freezing - therefore my white color im normally a jungle person... and the Ai seems to be happy about it (i did not give her emotes yet).

did not even know, that snow stuff is cooling...
ai-wants-to-cool-me-down.png

#32 2021-12-14 16:19:39

Spoonwood

arkajalka wrote:

From my point of view these other versions of the core game dont pick up the wind. Also i feel like they just divide an already small player base. So i dont see myself ever supporting any of them. I have played almost 2000 hours of the vanilla game. Never used mods never played 2hol. Im here only for the real game.

Other games are no less real.  They all exist in reality.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#33 2021-12-15 01:32:32

LonelyNeptune

Spoonwood wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

Shut up, bot.

#34 2021-12-15 03:56:34

Spoonwood

LonelyNeptune wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

Shut up, bot.

I guess that's a joke?  Just in case anyone was wondering if a bot wrote that, no, I don't write bots to imitate my own speech.

Danish Clinch.

#35 2021-12-15 04:20:01

LonelyNeptune

It's not a joke, it's an insult. You're so unhinged in your reasoning you may as well be a bot. It's fine if your grasp on the English language is so poor that you continually misunderstand people, but please stop "correcting" us based on your misunderstandings.

#36 2021-12-15 05:02:17

Spoonwood

LonelyNeptune wrote:

It's not a joke, it's an insult. You're so unhinged in your reasoning you may as well be a bot. It's fine if your grasp on the English language is so poor that you continually misunderstand people, but please stop "correcting" us based on your misunderstandings.

I didn't misunderstand anything here. 

2HOL, You are Hope, and In Next Life are all real games.

Therefore, they all have as much claim to be "the real game" as OHOL does.  Claiming them as "not the real game" has no basis whatsoever objectively speaking, since again, they are *all* real.

Also, being unhinged with reasoning involves going around insulting people, using an ad hominem argument instead of saying anything substantial. The original person definitely needed correction, and so do you here, since being straight with reasoning involves sticking to the definition of terms and using an argument to back up what gets claimed as I just did.  And here's the word "real" for you: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/real

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-12-15 05:03:57)

Danish Clinch.

#37 2021-12-15 06:14:55

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

Therefore, they all have as much claim to be "the real game" as OHOL does.  Claiming them as "not the real game" has no basis whatsoever objectively speaking, since again, they are *all* real.

Those are all real games, but they are not the real deal.   

Only OHOL is the real OHOL.   The rest are just imitations.

#38 2021-12-15 07:09:36

jinbaili83

Don't you have your own threads to spam in ?

#39 2021-12-15 12:24:51

arkajalka

Spoonwood wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

XD whatever. This whole base idea and engine and mechanics are pretty unique and thats all thanks to Jason. I want to support him and  just say no to ripoffs. You can repaint mona lisa, but it still aint the original.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

#40 2021-12-15 12:26:03

arkajalka

Spoonwood wrote:
LonelyNeptune wrote:

Also, being unhinged with reasoning involves going around insulting people, using an ad hominem argument instead of saying anything substantial. The original person definitely needed correction, and so do you here, since being straight with reasoning involves sticking to the definition of terms and using an argument to back up what gets claimed as I just did.  And here's the word "real" for you: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/real

Without the original game these copies would not exist.

#41 2021-12-15 12:57:44

LonelyNeptune

Spoonwood wrote:

Actually, you did misunderstand. Restating the thing that you misunderstood doesn't change anything. Nor does looking up the dictionary definition of a word (again, lol).

Also, this isn't a middle school debate team. That wasn't an "ad hominem argument", it's someone on the internet telling you that you're dumb. Get used to it.

Hope that helps smile

#42 2021-12-15 14:15:22

Spoonwood

arkajalka wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

XD whatever. This whole base idea and engine and mechanics are pretty unique and thats all thanks to Jason. I want to support him and  just say no to ripoffs. You can repaint mona lisa, but it still aint the original.

2HOL is free.  A ripoff, by definition, has to involve a bad financial transaction, so to speak certainly 2HOL is no ripoff.

You Are Hope probably has had less refunds demanded than OHOL, and at a lower rate of players demanding a refunding to players not demanding a refund than OHOL has.  So, You Are Hope probably has fewer financial transactions deemed as bad than OHOL.

You also don't play the original OHOL and haven't for years, since you don't play the game as it was when it was first developed.

Those other games also have their own unique content and aren't copies.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-12-15 14:16:20)

Danish Clinch.

#43 2021-12-15 14:20:03

Spoonwood

LonelyNeptune wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Actually, you did misunderstand. Restating the thing that you misunderstood doesn't change anything. Nor does looking up the dictionary definition of a word (again, lol).

Also, this isn't a middle school debate team. That wasn't an "ad hominem argument", it's someone on the internet telling you that you're dumb. Get used to it.

Hope that helps smile

No, it doesn't help at all.  It reinforces that you have nothing whatsoever to back up your claim and that it is empty.  Even worse it reveals that you are willfully ignorant, since you shun looking up dictionary definitions, since the meaning of terms precisely came as at issue.

And seriously get used to getting expected to learn the meaning of words.  That you have acted willfully ignorant consists of your problem.

Again, those other games are as much "the real game" as OHOL, since they all exist in reality.

Danish Clinch.

#44 2021-12-15 14:21:04

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Those are all real games, but they are not the real deal.   

Only OHOL is the real OHOL.   The rest are just imitations.

Those other games develop or developed their own unique content.  That much isn't imitating.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-12-15 14:22:18)

Danish Clinch.

#45 2021-12-15 15:33:52

arkajalka

Spoonwood wrote:

2HOL is free.  A ripoff, by definition, has to involve a bad financial transaction, so to speak certainly 2HOL is no ripoff.

You Are Hope probably has had less refunds demanded than OHOL, and at a lower rate of players demanding a refunding to players not demanding a refund than OHOL has.  So, You Are Hope probably has fewer financial transactions deemed as bad than OHOL.

You also don't play the original OHOL and haven't for years, since you don't play the game as it was when it was first developed.

Those other games also have their own unique content and aren't copies.

Idc about text book definitions etc its just a play on words. But we are drifting away from my main point cause you want to argue about some wordings. The main point being: "mods are never gonna get big enough player base and just divide the already small base that we have."

LMAO, whoever hurt you, hurt you bad. So bitter and always  trying to get some conflict going on. Get to therapy please and stop being asshole.

baaaa

Last edited by arkajalka (2021-12-15 15:37:32)

#46 2021-12-15 15:42:31

Laggy

Spoonwood needs to change his name....

Trollwood suits him more.

Please don't feed the troll.

#47 2021-12-15 18:20:06

jinbaili83

Arcurus wrote:

In case some one wants to see the changes the custom server has to vanilla and the TODO what needs still to be worked on he can look in here:

https://github.com/PXshadow/OpenLife/bl … er/TODO.MD

Does server mentioned in this file has changes applied because i didn't notice anything new.

#48 2021-12-16 07:39:48

Spoonwood

arkajalka wrote:

Idc about text book definitions etc its just a play on words. But we are drifting away from my main point cause you want to argue about some wordings. The main point being: "mods are never gonna get big enough player base and just divide the already small base that we have."

Those other games aren't mods.

arkajalka wrote:

LMAO, whoever hurt you, hurt you bad. So bitter and always  trying to get some conflict going on. Get to therapy please and stop being asshole.

You don't know what you're talking about with respect to me.  Also, it's disrespectful to call someone else an "asshole" and tell them they need therapy.  I have not treated you with the same level of disrespect, so that you project here seems clear cut.

Danish Clinch.

#49 2021-12-16 07:41:01

Spoonwood

Laggy wrote:

Spoonwood needs to change his name....

Trollwood suits him more.

Please don't feed the troll.

I speak with sincerity in what I say.  Trolling involves insincerity.

And again, it's Spoonwood.

Like some other posters here, you seem to have an issue with a basic level of courtesy, such as taking people as they are.

Danish Clinch.

#50 2021-12-16 07:45:28

Spoonwood

arkajalka wrote:

I've reported this.

The report I made says: "Involves a personal attack.  Specifically it says: "So bitter and always  trying to get some conflict going on. Get to therapy please and stop being asshole."  The rules say: "In all of the main areas, you are a guest in my house.  Act like it.  Be nice.  Be welcoming.  Don't be mean.  Don't attack each other."

Danish Clinch.

Board footer