One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-10 12:10:08

Roolstar

Game slows down periodically when in Fullscreen mode on PC

When I'm in fullscreen mode, every couple of minutes (or when my screen is full of stuff like trees), my character moves much slower then usual for about 15 seconds then goes back to normal. Interacting with stuff is equally slow.

This does not occur when in windowed mode.

I'm playing on an empty server so I don't think this qualifies as lag like other threads on this forum.

I have a pretty good gaming Lenovo laptop which I use for more graphically demanding games with no issues.

Game is running at 60 Fps. Vsync is ON.

Anything I can do to manually fix this? I really prefer fullscreen mode, especially for this game.

Note: if this topic does not belong on this part of the forum, please feel free to change it's location.
Thx

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-04-10 12:21:39)

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#2 2018-04-10 20:52:18

Verinon1

Re: Game slows down periodically when in Fullscreen mode on PC

I had a similar problem. FPS lag when lots of stuff is on the screen. I turned my “targetfps” down to like 30 and it’s much better now. Not a great solution, but it’s there.

#3 2018-04-10 23:00:38

Roolstar

Thx for the reply Verinon1.

I'm too scared to try it though. I already spend like 3 lifetimes in a solo adventure, and I'd hate to login and have the game unplayable to the point where I die of starvation and lose all my progress.

And from reading this thread https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=104, I'm worried that messing with the framerate will cause all kinds of trouble.

To hell with this, I'll try it right now FOR SCIENCE.

I'll update this thread as soon as I'm done.

God is still learning to use His powers; and just like with any other mortal, it's gonna require both mistakes and time.

Only to eventually discover He did not create the world he always wanted, but the world he was forced to create.

#4 2018-04-10 23:07:49

Verinon1

I have vsync turned off, framerate set to 30 FPS, play in full screen, don’t have any apps running in the background, and everything works fine. I’m on a Windows 10 laptop, BTW.

#5 2018-04-10 23:23:48

Roolstar

I set the TargetFrameRate to 30 and now I move double fast but actions wait until I get there in the time I should have if that makes any sense.

Unless you mean it's a different file I should edit.

Anyway, I did not even spawn at my old village, the one I started alone, which sucks. I thought respawning where you die of natural causes is reliable and consistent. It seems not. (although I'm sure it has nothing to do with the frame rate fixed to 30)

I'm gonna try quitting and rejoining in the hopes it puts me there again.

Windowed mode it is for the time being.

Oh and I don't even know how to turn vsync off; I think this might actually fix things

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-04-10 23:42:25)

#6 2018-04-10 23:41:30

Verinon1

There’s a file in settings called something like “lookforvsync”. Set that to 0 so that it’s off. If none of that works, I can’t help you. Might have something to do with your PC’s graphics settings?

#7 2018-04-11 00:05:55

Roolstar

The file is called countingOnVsync, and changing it to 1 seems to have solved the issue. (at least for the 5 mn i tested it)
TargetFrameRate is set to 30.

But more importantly is there a way to guarantee re-spawning where you die of old age??? Maybe a thread I missed or something.

Thought of asking before starting another run: I was the only player on server10, and losing all the progress I made over 4 lives for no apparent reason stings.

Last edited by Roolstar (2018-04-11 00:23:33)

#8 2018-04-11 01:30:29

Verinon1

No there isn’t, at least not on an official server.

Board footer