One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-01 15:02:50

Spoonwood

Lack of Numbers Inconsistent With A Comic Book Look and Feel

With respect to why numerals don't exist in the default chat system of the game, Jason said a while back:

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm trying to maintain a comic book look-and-feel.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 473#p48473

To see if comics book avoided the use of numerals I took out one comic book: Enormously FoxTrot published in 1994.  FoxTrot was a syndicated comic strip, and was carried by more than 1200 newspapers worldwide before it changed from a daily comic strip to a weekly comic strip.   By the time I got to page 8 in Enormously FoxTrot I found this:

Jason Fox: "MAN, WHAT A WASTE OF 20 MINUTES **THAT** WAS."

Paige Fox: "YOU'RE FORGETTING WE ALSO HAD TO STAND IN **LINE** FOR AN HOUR!"

Paige Fox: "I MEAN, I WAS **THIS CLOSE** TO KEELING OVER WITH HEAT STROKE!  MY LEGS STILL HURT, MY BACK ACHES AND MY BRAIN'S PROBABLY SUFFERED IRREPARABLE DAMAGE FROM STARING AT THAT FAT LADY IN FRONT OF US' POLYESTER JUMPSUIT THE WHOLE TIME!"

Paige Fox: "WHAT A MISERABLE **80** MINUTES!"

Jason Fox: "I'LL STICK WITH 20, THANKS."

Paige Fox: "OH-AND HER PERUME!  YOU SAW ME GAGGING, RIGHT?"

The numerals even got put in bold in that one.

On p. 40 there's more:

Jason Fox: "256 x 253 = 64,768
256 x 254 = 65,024
256 x 255 = 65,280
256 x 256 = 65,536

SIX MINUTES?!  MAN I **AM** OUT OF SHAPE!"

PAIGE FOX: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

JASON FOX: "BRUSHING UP ON MY TIMES TABLES"

PAIGE FOX: "YUCK.  WHY?"

JASON FOX: "SO I'LL BE IN PEAK FORM WHEN SCHOOL STARTS."

PAIGE FOX: "FOOL.  THAT'S WHAT CALCULATORS ARE FOR."

JASON FOX: "MAYBE.  BUT WATCH HOW QUICKLY I CAN RATTLE 'EM OFF...

6 x 5 = 30
6 x 6 = 36
6 x 7 = 42
6 x 8 = 48
6 x 9 = 54
7 x 5 = 8
7 x 6 = 99
7 x 7 = -4
8 x 8 = 1,026,305
9 x 5 = 0.01
9 x 6 = 5555
9 x 8 = 1/3
"

Paige Fox: "STILL, I'LL BET MY CALCULATOR'S FASTER"

Jason Fox: "WANNA BET, OH, 8 x 8 CENTS?"

And on p. 185 it seems clear that Bill Amend is willing to consider using single-digit numbers as utterances, as that does NOT start:

"TEN ... NINE ... EIGHT".

Instead, that particular strip starts:

"**10** ... **9** ... **8**", with Jason Fox holding a water rocket.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2021-11-01 23:46:01

LonelyNeptune

Re: Lack of Numbers Inconsistent With A Comic Book Look and Feel

You sure proved him wrong. I bet Jason will change his mind about this aaaany second now.

#3 2021-11-02 00:17:20

Spoonwood

The aforementioned link also reads:

jasonrohrer wrote:

It follows the MLA style guidelines

Instead of prohibiting the use of numerals as OHOL's chat does, the MLA style guidelines by the link given clearly delineate several recommended uses of numerals.  For dates.  For enumerations.  For ratios.  For measurements.  For dimensions, with an explicit example of a number less than than:

MLA Style Guidelines wrote:

Use numerals with a multiplication symbol (×) in fractions.  2½ × 6-inch cards

For money.  For several uses of numbers.  For percentages.  For statistics.  For tables, telephone numbers, and time.

Sure, telephone numbers don't exist in OHOL.  But, time and dates do.

And contrary to Mr. Rohrer's false claim, it is IMPOSSIBLE to follow MLA guidelines in OHOL, as if someone asked when the first Eve in an arc died, and that Eve lived to 60, MLA style guidelines imply that one say something like "YEAR 46" or possibly "IN THE 40s" as at least part of the sentence used in responding, if those phrases do not suffice, and instead something like "SHE DIED IN YEAR 46" should get uttered.

Oh, and last I checked in the real world, traders use numerals rather frequently.  I would think that they rarely use the full world form for numerals.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-11-02 00:51:37)

Danish Clinch.

#4 2021-11-02 03:27:59

LonelyNeptune

I'm curious if you're on the spectrum?

#5 2021-11-02 03:53:55

Spoonwood

LonelyNeptune wrote:

I'm curious if you're on the spectrum?

I put "the spectrum" into a duckduckGo search.  The Wikipedia linked on the side of the search result page says:

Wikipedia wrote:

The Spectrum (later known as CoreStates Spectrum, First Union Spectrum and Wachovia Spectrum) was an indoor arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States.  Opened in September 1967 as part of what is now known as the South Philadelphia Sports Complex, after several expansions of its seating capacity it accommodated 18,168 for basketball and 17,380 for ice hockey, arena football, indoor soccer, and box lacrosse.

The last event at the Spectrum was a Pearl Jam concert on October 31, 2009.[2] The arena was demolished between November 2010 and May 2011.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_(arena)

So, do I really need to answer whether I'm on "The Spectrum", since "The Spectrum" does not exist anymore?

It also looks like The Spectrum is a newspaper, which has a website.  Do you think I'm on a newspaper?

I guess I can't say you were hiding an ad hominem insult inside of a question with what you in reality said, since it's too ambiguous.  And I'm not going to say what I believe you intended to ask, because that would border on accusing you of making an ad hominem attack, which you didn't actually make.

Whatever I am ...

It still stands that Mr. Rohrer's claim that numerals would disrupt the game having a "comic book" art style of the game is false, as evidenced by FoxTrot.

It still stands that using numerals is not permitted by the OHOL chat system, while using numerals is permitted by MLA style.

It still stands that Mr. Rohrer used a link which has text that multiple times suggested the claim he was making by using that link was incorrect.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-11-02 03:54:34)

Danish Clinch.

#6 2021-11-03 04:11:10

LonelyNeptune

"On the spectrum" is slang for autism.

I ask because the fixation on this topic is extremely strange and tone deaf, but I generally don't like to argue with / make fun of people who can't help it.

#7 2021-11-03 13:18:01

Spoonwood

LonelyNeptune wrote:

I ask because the fixation on this topic is extremely strange and tone deaf

You haven't pointed out a single thing that I've said as incorrect.  So, I don't see anything "extremely strange" in my post and my comments above.

As for fixation, this also makes for the first time that anyone pointed out that Jason's claim about comic books and MLA style were both false so far as I know.

Whether claims are true or not also does not concern their tone.  And providing evidence and reasoning as to why claims are false is not being "tone deaf".

Danish Clinch.

#8 2021-11-03 22:41:09

LonelyNeptune

I haven't reviewed your evidence either, because it's completely incoherent. Dragging up every example of a numeral in a comic book that happened in history isn't going to magically change Jason's mind. Nor is examining all the ways speech in game breaks MLA guidelines as if anyone gives a single shit.

If Jason truly said "I'm trying to maintain a comic book look-and-feel", what he meant was "this is a stylistic choice that I have made". He isn't going to suddenly tune in to this thread and go "golly gee Spoonwood, you proved that my personal preference is wrong!".

So yeah, I'm not going to get down in the trenches and argue with you about why your interpretation of the MLA guidelines are incorrect. It's irrelevant.

#9 2021-11-03 23:03:07

Spoonwood

LonelyNeptune wrote:

I haven't reviewed your evidence either, because it's completely incoherent.

Since you haven't reviewed it, you have no idea if it's coherent or incoherent, because you don't even understand it.

LonelyNeptune wrote:

Dragging up every example of a numeral in a comic book that happened in history isn't going to magically change Jason's mind.

Did you ever stop to think that I might have been writing for reasons other than to just change Jason's mind?

LonelyNeptune wrote:

If Jason truly said "I'm trying to maintain a comic book look-and-feel", what he meant was "this is a stylistic choice that I have made". He isn't going to suddenly tune in to this thread and go "golly gee Spoonwood, you proved that my personal preference is wrong!".

If he only meant "this is a stylistic choice I have made", why did he respond with all that he did and give reasons for his choice?  Why give reasons to people if they are not your real reasons?  Don't you think it's dishonest to give people reasons if you don't really have those reasons?

LonelyNeptune wrote:

So yeah, I'm not going to get down in the trenches and argue with you about why your interpretation of the MLA guidelines are incorrect. It's irrelevant.

On the contrary, it's completely relevant to what he claimed.  If you don't want to address what he claimed about MLA guidelines, they you are putting your head into the sand and refusing to address what got claimed.  And really, by inventing this "what he really meant" interpretation, it seems that you are engaged in mind-reading, instead of understanding what got said.

It still stands that a comic book look and feel can and has existed with numerals in the text.

It still stands MLA standards allow for the use of numerals.

It still stands that in OHOL players can't use numerals.   And I feel rather confident in saying that such implies that they have poorer experiences than if they could use numerals.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-11-03 23:04:09)

Danish Clinch.

#10 2021-11-03 23:23:56

LonelyNeptune

Well it's not like anyone else gets value from reading this obsessive crap, lol.

#11 2021-11-03 23:33:23

Spoonwood

LonelyNeptune wrote:

Well it's not like anyone else gets value from reading this obsessive crap, lol.

And now you've basically engaged in mind reading of everyone else who has read this post.

And I guess it never occurred to you that some people might read my posts, enjoy them, but never feel the need or desire to comment on them on the forums.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2021-11-04 00:17:44

Spoonwood

Mr. Rohrer also said this on the discord two days ago on 11/01/2021 at 8:31 A. M. in recpie spoilers:

jasonrohrer wrote:

The game uses a comic-book style.  "writing numbers" in speech bubbles is inconsistent with comic book standards.

But, as evidenced by the Fox Trot comic book I referred to, writing numbers to indicate that a character says such is consistent with comic book standards (speech bubbles aren't used, but lines from the character to the words are used to indicate what the character says, like a speech bubble).

Mr. Rohrer either didn't understand comic book standards, since they allow for numerals, or is making up this notion about comic books which is false.

Danish Clinch.

#13 2021-11-04 00:35:58

LonelyNeptune

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzil-C0zGUU44pMmdJkNlQy458JsCre7lLgg&usqp=CAU

#14 2021-11-04 00:39:07

Spoonwood

Now I've also found a website which references comics used to teach math: https://classroom.popcultureclassroom.o … each-math/  I'm sure with a title like "Prime Baby" that the text will end up using numerals, and taking a quick look, I can see that it does.

Also:

Wikipedia wrote:

In the fictional Marvel Comics multiverse, Earth-616 is the primary continuity in which most Marvel Comics titles take place. 

The term was first used in "Rough Justice", a story credited to both Alan Moore and Alan Davis published in July 1983 by Marvel UK in the anthology comic The Daredevils (and was later reprinted in the Captain Britain trade paperback). Saturnyne uses the term to differentiate Brian Braddock, the Captain Britain of the regular Marvel Comics universe, from the other members of the Captain Britain Corps, each of which inhabit different universes. The designation was later used by the American branch of Marvel Comics in the Excalibur title, which frequently referenced Captain Britain's early UK-published adventures.

In the climaxes of the "Goblin Nation" and "Spider-Verse" storylines in Superior Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man, respectively, it is revealed that Marvel 2099/Earth-928 is the same universe as 616, dubbed as Earth-616 circa 2099.

In Marvel 1602 #6 (March 2004), Uatu the Watcher refers to the universe as Earth-616.
    In Marvel Knights 4 #15 (April 2005), Earth-616 is mentioned.
    In Uncanny X-Men #462 (September 2005), an alteration in reality of Earth-616 causes trans-temporal devastation, and Saturnyne attempts to destroy that particular temporal continuity to "cauterize the wound".
    In Iron Man: Fatal Frontier #10, Dr. Doom mentions that they are in either Earth-616 or in Earth-615.
    In all issues of Deadpool Kills Deadpool (July 2013), the story centers around the timeline of Earth-616 Deadpool rather that any of the alternate universe versions.

The term has also appeared in Exiles (in, among others, the House of M tie-in issues) and is in regular use by the writers of Marvel's Official Handbooks for the simplicity of the term.

There has been at least one attempt within Marvel canon to change the designation of Earth-616. In the final story arc of X-Man (issues #71–74), writer Steven Grant began to refer to the planet as "Earth-611" due to the destruction of several other Earths (which were all apparently "higher on the list" of the multiverse than the Marvel Earth) by a godlike entity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth-616

The claim that numerals is inconsistent with comic book standards is clearly absurd considering that Marvel in that many of their publications has used numerals.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-11-04 00:41:43)

Danish Clinch.

#15 2021-11-04 02:08:36

LonelyNeptune

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbqCMMFhUuDlpmBw_gMAueMTAYWsMH_bWtVw&usqp=CAU

#16 2021-11-04 02:14:20

Spoonwood

It still stands that a comic book look and feel can and has existed with numerals in the text.

It still stands MLA standards allow for the use of numerals.

It still stands that in OHOL players can't use numerals.   And I feel rather confident in saying that such implies that they have poorer experiences than if they could use numerals.

Danish Clinch.

#17 2021-11-04 02:57:23

LonelyNeptune

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxU0hHHfysRO8OBgzr4dw3pGkA6c3P6hrc3g&usqp=CAU

#18 2021-11-04 03:41:12

Cogito

The difference is between if "the game uses a comic-book style" is meant to mean "I have a specific look that I want the game to have, and I would describe that as comic-book style" or instead "the game is meant to conform to the style guide of the MLA". There is a 3rd option, "I like how comic-books look and want this game to look similar".

If it's the 1st or 3rd then saying "the game doesn't meet comic book standards" is irrelevant, because the game is not trying to match comic book standards.

It is relevant, especially for the 3rd option, to say "Here are some examples of how numerals are used in comic books. Numerals would be super useful becase X, Y, and Z, and if you implement them like this you will still retain that cool comic-book style."

I suspect trying to convince the author of the game that their artistic vision is 'wrong' is harmful to your cause, beyond being simply pointless.

#19 2021-11-04 11:18:01

MrGold

Pp poo poo

Im Mr.Gold I /hmph

#20 2021-11-04 11:50:59

WumboJumbo

LonelyNeptune wrote:

Are you just looking to belittle Spoonwood now?

#21 2021-11-04 23:16:05

Spoonwood

Here's an example of "3" getting used in a comic in a chat bubble:

https://www.little-gamers.com/2021/10/1 … -know-this

Danish Clinch.

Board footer