One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-09 00:23:36

LonelyNeptune

Basic courtesy for the developer

A good portion of you ought to be ashamed of the way you speak to and about the developer of this game. I have been observing this community for a little under a year, and the constant heckling and complaining is unbearable to watch. Moreover,

* the prying and speculating into Jason's personal life
* complaining about him doing normal things like spending time with his family and making TikToks
* accusing him of lying about his reasons for delays in further development
* spamming the Discord with "game bad" and "chat dead" despite daily active conversation

Maybe it's the internet - you forget that there's a person at the other end of the screen. Or maybe you were never interested in displaying basic human courtesy in the first place. Whatever your reasons, I suggest that you reconsider your behaviour and sharply adjust your expectations.

Because no matter how much you might heckle him, Jason doesn't actually owe this community anything. He's a human being with a life outside of OHOL. If he wanted to walk away and never touch a line of code again, that is entirely his prerogative. And the more you harass him, the more likely he is to do that.

If you're thinking of saying "well hold on, the game isn't done, shouldn't he at least finish it?". I'd like to suggest that you shouldn't have bought the game unless you were happy to play it in its current iteration. This is a basic consumer rule for early access or incomplete games, so keep that in mind next time you're browsing Steam. Moreover, if you care enough that you're willing to heckle the developer, I assume that you've already gotten dozens of hours of entertainment for the low, low price of $21.50 AUD. Be a little more grateful.

tl;dr: Stop acting like animals, it's annoying and rude.

#2 2021-10-09 13:31:31

Spoonwood

Re: Basic courtesy for the developer

LonelyNeptune wrote:

Because no matter how much you might heckle him, Jason doesn't actually owe this community anything.

There do exist illegal forms of advertisement.  People are owed truth in advertising.  Ten thousand craftable objects were promised.  In point of fact, that's STILL on the steam page, and you don't even have to load the video to see it.  Dozens of newly craftable objects also got promised every week, and we don't even have dozen newly craftable objects every month now.  So, no, you are wrong when you say the above. 

LovelyNeptune wrote:

He's a human being with a life outside of OHOL.

So are the people he advertised to and has lied to.  Lying to human beings where money is involved especially is not ethical.

LovelyNeptune wrote:

If he wanted to walk away and never touch a line of code again, that is entirely his prerogative.

Alright, so not only would ten thousand craftable objects be a lie and dozens of new craftable objects be a lie, this, which got written in September of this year would also be a lie:

jasonrohrer wrote:

After working on the game non-stop for 5+ years, and releasing 119 weekly updates, I'm currently taking a break to focus on some family stuff (renovating our house, training our new puppy, etc.). I have reduced the price temporarily during this break.

"taking a break" and "temporarily" all imply doing more at some point in the future.  If that doesn't happen, we have another lie.  There is no right to lie when advertising a product.

LovelyNeptune wrote:

I'd like to suggest that you shouldn't have bought the game unless you were happy to play it in its current iteration.

Why, because his word isn't worth anything at all?

LovelyNeptune wrote:

This is a basic consumer rule for early access or incomplete games

The game was *never* an early access game on Steam.  Also, there exist plenty of developers who are honest with their advertising when the game is in early access.

LovelyNeptune wrote:

Stop acting like animals, it's annoying and rude.

So far as I know, animals don't encourage accountability with language or in advertising.  Or at least they don't write texts.  So, make no mistake, people *have been and are acting like human beings*.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-10-16 21:31:01)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2021-10-09 20:29:16

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
LovelyNeptune wrote:

Stop acting like animals, it's annoying and rude.

So far as I know, animals don't encourage accountability with language or in advertising.  Or at least they don't write texts.  So, make no mistake, people *have been and are acting like human beings*.

But human beings are a type of animal.  So by acting like human beings, they ARE acting like animals.  Rude, annoying, and very ungrateful animals.

Please do try to act like better animals.   I recommend acting more like owls.   They are quiet, dignified, and solitary.  Despite staying up late every night, they are not rude or mean to others.   I can't imagine owls would ever be this disrespectful toward an independent game dev.   It just isn't in their nature   Take a lesson from the animal kingdom and be more owl-like when interacting with people on-line.

Just don't eat your prey whole and later on vomit up pellets made from the indigestible fur and tiny bones.   Sorry, owls, that's just not cool.

#4 2021-10-09 20:58:59

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I recommend acting more like owls.   They are quiet, dignified, and solitary.

I remember hearing some owls a few months ago outside my house.  No, they are *not* quiet.  They also aren't solitary during mating season.

DestinyCall wrote:

Just don't eat your prey whole and later on vomit up pellets made from the indigestible fur and tiny bones.   Sorry, owls, that's just not cool.

Yeah, really a mixed message here Destiny, with your example.

Also, since humans are animals, as you've pointed out and from a perspective I wasn't using before, it's impossible for them to stop acting like animals.  For by acting like humans, they also act like animals.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2021-10-09 20:59:26)

Danish Clinch.

#5 2021-10-10 04:35:21

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

Also, since humans are animals, as you've pointed out and from a perspective I wasn't using before, it's impossible for them to stop acting like animals.  For by acting like humans, they also act like animals.

Yes. As I already pointed out, you should try to act like BETTER animals.   And by doing so, you will be acting like a better person. 

People are horrible, but that doesn't mean you have to be horrible to other people.   Be a better animal and you will make everyone in this on-line zoo we all share feel a little happier.

#6 2021-10-10 08:29:18

LonelyNeptune

Thanks for your opinion, Spoonwood. I'll take it under advisement.

However, partaking in a discussion where a main point seems to hinge on humans being animals by technicality seems, er... not a good use of my time.

#7 2021-10-10 09:17:06

selalov734

LonelyNeptune wrote:

Thanks for your opinion, Spoonwood. I'll take it under advisement.

However, partaking in a discussion where a main point seems to hinge on humans being animals by technicality seems, er... not a good use of my time.

Spoonwood replied to you with 7 quotes, only one of them, the last one has something to do with animals and is not really important.
So instead of replying to his more serious statements you take the least important and say its not a good use of your time?
I assume that is because you don't have a good reply for any of the others and you want a cheap way out of this.

You came here to try to convince the community of something but as soon as the community questions the things you say you give up, thats weak.

#8 2021-10-10 09:43:57

LonelyNeptune

You're right. I don't want to address any of his points. I've already laid out my thoughts above, and he's laid out his. He feels entitled to harass the developer, that's not something that you can argue out of someone once they're determined.

I could go through and refute each and every point in that hydra-quoting post, sure. Or I could do literally anything else, lol. This is a forum post, not a battle to the death.

#9 2021-10-10 12:18:38

Léonard

Ah, here we go.
Yet another one of those.

8LhyFQc.png

You have no idea what happened on there before you joined.
Here, let me show you a glimpse.

#10 2021-10-11 11:34:44

Erudaru

Nice try. *Slow clap*

#11 2021-10-11 20:56:58

Arcurus

Léonard wrote:

Ah, here we go.

https://i.imgur.com/8LhyFQc.png

Jason:

"The way it works is I keep making an amazing game, and keep making money, and the ones who want to get angry leave, and the rest stay, and new players come in every day, and .... well, the world keeps turning!"

lol the angry ones leave, except Spoon, he is Jasons Nemesis or something like that...

#12 2021-10-12 15:30:12

DestinyCall

Yeah, I think that's where Jason's plan fell apart.   He assumed that the people who didn't like what he was doing with the game would just leave when they got angry.   Instead, we stuck around, complained a lot, and got angrier. And frustrated and even angrier.  And hopeless and yet more angry.  It is a vicious cycle without end.

No wonder this community is so toxic.  It is populated by a lot of angry veteran players that complain constantly about the the developer's past and current mistakes, even when things are looking better.    The vets shout down any new players who still have some hope for the game's future because they have been disappointed too many times before.

It is really depressing to see how far things have sunk since I joined.   This place used to have so much positive energy.   People cared about the game and each other.   They shared stories about their lives and looked forward to the next update.   There was so much hope for the future.  I wish we could get back to that.   

Or at least stop the constant negativity and personal attacks.  They aren't doing anyone any good.

#13 2021-10-12 16:00:50

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

People are horrible, but that doesn't mean you have to be horrible to other people.   Be a better animal and you will make everyone in this on-line zoo we all share feel a little happier.

Yes, some people are liars.  And also, telling people about a liar is being pretty much the opposite of "being horrible".

Covering up for, or excusing a liar is much closer to "horrible", since other people remain prey to their lies.

Danish Clinch.

#14 2021-10-12 16:09:08

Spoonwood

LovelyNeptune wrote:

He feels entitled to harass the developer, that's not something that you can argue out of someone once they're determined.

No, I do not feel "entitled" to "harass" him. 

I do think though that many of the things you've deemed "harassment" now are not such, or shouldn't be deemed such.  Talking about the level of honesty of someone to people in general is not "harassment".  It's a call for others to recognize absurd statements and/or lies.

Danish Clinch.

#15 2021-10-12 16:24:39

Spoonwood

Léonard wrote:

Ah, here we go.

Rereading that, I see:

jasonrohrer wrote:

I love my players

Yeah, complete nonsense.  Always has been.

jasonrohrer wrote:

They have gotten very angry and pushy and demanding and negative and entitled.

Wanting something like "dozens of newly crafted objects every week"/content updates to actually happen is somehow "entitled".  I seem to remember complaining along those as far back as the temperature overhaul, which predates that post.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Like, who do you think you are to come in here and make demands and threaten me or sue me over the game that I'm making?

This is flagrantly a bad question.  It was back then and is now.  No one has carte blanche when making a product and selling it.  Everyone can get sued by their consumers and possibly others.

jasonrohrer wrote:

The way it works is I keep making an amazing game, and keep making money, and the ones who want to get angry leave

Delusional.  Plenty of angry people have stayed.

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm not going to plaster on a fake smile and say "yes sir, so sorry you didn't like this update, I will fix it right away." and then actually do nothing.  That's the kind of "customer service" that you're used to, but it's total BS.

THAT is actually treating you like dirt!

What I do is treat you like my equal, which means not blowing smoke up your ass, not feigning modesty, not pretending like you're an expert game designer, etc.

Dozens of newly craftable objects every week promised in the trailer.  10,000 craftable objects at the end of the video.  The game hasn't had dozens of newly craftable object every month for over 12 months now!  10,000 craftable objects?  2HOL is closer to that than OHOL and has been that way for a long time.  And the developers of that game don't make promises to their players.  Smoke blown up the asses of hundreds, nay probably thousands of people.  That isn't treating people like equals.

Danish Clinch.

#16 2021-10-12 16:26:51

Spoonwood

Arcurus wrote:
Léonard wrote:

Ah, here we go.

Jason:

"The way it works is I keep making an amazing game, and keep making money, and the ones who want to get angry leave, and the rest stay, and new players come in every day, and .... well, the world keeps turning!"

lol the angry ones leave, except Spoon, he is Jasons Nemesis or something like that...

Leonard keeps posting.  Meth is still on discord, heck he's a moderator of it.  Others chimed in.  There are others.

Alright, you laughed, so maybe you were joking.

Danish Clinch.

#17 2021-10-12 16:34:08

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Yeah, I think that's where Jason's plan fell apart.   He assumed that the people who didn't like what he was doing with the game would just leave when they got angry.   Instead, we stuck around, complained a lot, and got angrier. And frustrated and even angrier.  And hopeless and yet more angry.  It is a vicious cycle without end.

No wonder this community is so toxic.  It is populated by a lot of angry veteran players that complain constantly about the the developer's past and current mistakes, even when things are looking better.

I don't see how things are looking better right now.  Game hasn't had content updates in over a year.  Barely any bug fixes.  Declining numbers.  Older game.  2HOL has significantly more content.  It's more suited for people playing low population, and I think you would find yourself hard pressed, especially since the latest updates of 2HOL with unbreakable yum and cravings, to find anyone who disagrees that 2HOL is superior to OHOL when player population is low and probably when player population is equal.   In Next Life will probably come out soon and will provide another alternative, if it won't also be superior also.  It's run on an entirely different engine as I understand, as the engine that Jason made just wasn't adequate for that game's needs (which doesn't surprising).

Danish Clinch.

#18 2021-10-12 16:35:08

Spoonwood

Also, for the record, respect is earned.  People who act badly don't deserve respect.

Danish Clinch.

#19 2021-10-12 18:00:42

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

Also, for the record, respect is earned.  People who act badly don't deserve respect.

I see.   That would explain why everyone deeply respects you.

#20 2021-10-12 19:24:42

Laggy

We are not ashamed. For counterpoints.

1:  We aren't prying into his personal life, the guy posts about it.

2:  Anyone that makes a TikTok video should be drawn and quartered.

3:  He has lied numerous times, not just about planning updates.

4:  Spamming Dead game is apropraite when the game has a population at night that kills every family.

All your points are now mute.
Stop with the Nazism don't trying to take away our free speech!!
If anything Jason would agree that free speech is needed.

You must be new here?
You wouldn't have posted this knowing Jason's abysmal history pertaining to input from his player base.

#21 2021-10-12 19:54:02

DestinyCall

Unfortunately, you have only proven the OP's point.  We should feel ashamed.   Jason's bad behavior as a developer does not excuse our bad behavior as a community.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Didn't your mother teach you that?

Last edited by DestinyCall (2021-10-12 21:12:27)

#22 2021-10-12 21:47:47

Laggy

So Jason lies when advertising this game, updating, basically everything for the past year.

But we can't make fun of him for all the nonsensical lies.

If Jason takes my $20 for this game, I think he can take some jabs.

He said he bought his new house with OHOL money.

May I bring up TikApocalapse we had over 200 players on the server and Jason screwed them all over because he didn't have the new player food buff.

WE ARE PISSED THAT HE DOESN'T CARE TO BALANCE THE GAME

HE DOESN'T CARE THAT NEW PLAYER QUIT, SO THE PLAYER BASE IS ABYSMAL.

JASON IS THE REASON

AND IT'S REASONABLE TO CALL HIM ON IT!!!!

Last edited by Laggy (2021-10-12 21:49:56)

#23 2021-10-12 22:22:06

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Huh, you think everyone deeply respects me.  I wouldn't have believed that, if you hadn't said it.

Danish Clinch.

#24 2021-10-13 00:47:31

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Huh, you think everyone deeply respects me.  I wouldn't have believed that, if you hadn't said it.

I know, right?   Pretty unbelievable.

#25 2021-10-13 10:23:35

JasonZ

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

It is true, I deeply respect spoonwood.

Board footer