#51 2022-03-09 17:56:51

pein

Re: The plan moving forward

Goliath wrote:
JonySky wrote:
Goliath wrote:

What do you mean?

Dead game my friend!

Yeah games die, and ill play this till D Day.
Wouldn't be surprised there isn't a private server somewhere that Jason plays.

he doesn't even play his own game, it's more of a god experiment, SYBILL system xD
there was a time when he described one of his game life:
basically he planted milkweed, had a bunch of kids and was taking care of them
then he stole a hoe from his daughter and got envious of her big milkweed field, to a point that he was considering killing her
the end.

that was basically a 10 minute life in 60, similar of what you get in your first 10 hours when you learn the controls
he didn't had to learn controls or recipes, he knows it
yet he knows nothing about the other system, the time it takes, the difficulty, the patterns that repeat all the time, how to organize a 'city' and such

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#52 2022-03-09 19:55:09

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

I guess it was only obvious to me that it should be limited and sustainable variety. The accent on the variety not the unique. People started to do the longest unique chains possible. Variety should mean that you can cover 5 groups of foods or 5 types at all times for all citizens, be that 5 berries and 5 carrots, and 5 of everything or combined 2 corn and 3 burdock. Instead people were spending half their lives to eat primitive food in advanced societies for themselves only, once, to build up a boost they never gonna use. So from eating to live, we got to a point where people were lived to eat. Quite a bit of jump from eating berries all your life to run around half the map to build up a pointless chain, that helps no one but you.

I do agree that this was bad, and never did so myself.  I did help someone else do such on a low pop server, but that I feel was different, since it wasn't like anyone would not find food because of it there.

It doesn't seem to happen as often these days, since people will do hungry work with those extra pips.

Not much I disagree with in your comment Pein, if anything.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#53 2022-03-09 21:27:54

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

But the worst was the biome locks and race mechanics.

I recently had my worst experience with race restrictions.  Well first I'll mention that someone often enough will target me to kill when I go to another village, because of how everyone looks the same in a village.  But, I usually manage to sneak away and come back.  Alright, so what happened.

I'm tan and need sulfur, so I go to blacks.  There's no Hetuw users there, so there's no one I can talk meaningfully to.  I end up seeing that they actually have paper made.  I write a note, because you know... paper is a universal translator... as if that ever made a lick of sense.  Something like CAN SOMEONE PLEASE PUT SULFUR IN THESE LATEX BUCKETS FOR ME?  I throw it at some people and then yoohoo them to come with me to the desert.  Nodoby's following me.  I tried on everyone on the village, though there's only like 3-4.  I get another piece of paper, and write something like CAN SOMEONE COME TO A HOT SPRING WITH ME?  It sounded a bit funny.  Finally after like 10 minutes or something, I get some lady to come with me to the desert.  I get her to sulfur one of the buckets of latex.  She's then hungry and confused and doesn't get more sulfur.  She starves above the jungle, we had gone to the desert/jungle border area.  I find someone else and get them to the desert with me.  She gets me the rest of the sulfur for the latex.  Then she walks into the jungle and gets bite a mosquito.  I'm assuming she starved dead too.  Both of those players likely would have lived those lives if they hadn't come with me.  They had a girl or two more, but honestly, it was seriously close to their lineage ending, because of that.

pein wrote:

I think the engine restrictions are quite bad too.

I will highlight this also.  It's convenient in a way to move an engine from a well to a diesel iron mine.  I've done that myself.  But, as you pointed out somewhere else, it gets the order wrong.  It should be get iron from a diesel iron mine, and make another engine for the well, since importing water from another well or ponds is possible.  It was much better when engines just weren't removable from wells.  It's better to craft another engine, then to do stupid stuff to prevent destructive players from destroying them.  Creating, as much as that term applies, is more fun and interesting than managing jerks.  I'd much rather make an engine for an iron mine and a well, then to make one and manage the issue of the engine disappearing to nowhere.

Also, people who resettle towns (I generally don't, though with how quickly families die out these days it's often understandable since towns rarely make it past newcomen pump before the original family dies out) often/sometimes have the issue that they have no engine, because someone took it when that family died out.  I don't blame the scavengers, they have an intelligence to them.  I blame the damn system that somehow thinks that creating less would be more fun.

Edit: There is one time where engine removal is good.  When an oil well depletes, removing the engine makes sense, since there's no more oil there.  Then again, I would prefer an infintie oil well without a removable engine I think.  At least if ancient stone walls could get busted into somehow.  Immovable objects is another issue.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2022-03-09 21:39:44)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#54 2022-03-10 00:25:18

LonelyNeptune

Why do you bother doing this, old man Spoonwood?

#55 2022-03-10 08:18:59

pein

I meant the game engine smile

I dunno, it's too complex to do engines in  a single life and the 'help' is not good. often you gotta rebuild the whole smithy to be able to make an engine. the parts are tiny and the process is frustrating. it could be just higher tier items that need the same thing put together over and over and meaningfully increase the resources it takes. like tie those systems together. like more iron would be needed to produce more water, more  clay to produce more iron, more water to produce more clay. and there could be electricity or some form of early power generation like windmills and shiz. then upgrading each system and managing the storage. the farms could also be upgraded and use a per hour input output and storage system instead of manually moving it so much. pipes and baths could be fun.

it just feels like some techs are super advanced and you still cook your stuff with kindling fire. you still struggle with your machines working for 30 sec while babies cover the screen.

This is because there are no cities, just connected garbage on the floor. The game doesn't know what a city is and can't manage it as a whole. There could be fun features with cultural or religious systems and decision making. Humankind did it, Crusader Kings did it, there are strategic elements that would work well with a 2d game. This sharing everything mentality only works if everyone does something, but the more people play the more they don't want to share or do anything meaningful. And why would they if everything runs out? It's like Jason trying to prove that communist nomads are the future of humanity smile There could be a combination of choices that create different cultures and cities, with different buffs and debuffs. The goal should be staying there and fixing the issues, different issues, not basic level food and water forever and ever.

I don't disagree with removing the well engine, but it should be way harder than that. Not just putting it in your apron smile Quite a few high tech items can be griefed with a sharp stone. There should be like a single use master wrench that takes resources and 10-15 minutes to make to force people spending some time removing the most valuable thing in the city. But oh well, Jason thought that somebody would fence himself up to distribute water to other people smile When the engine is gone, then the doors and tools and even the floors are taken. People cry more about destroying graves than destroying cities. I remember that we played for weeks to make a few cities nice, and connect them manually, and later we moved when it was boring and barelands around.

All I say that it would be a better gameplay and a better message to be loyal, to fix things, to learn from mistakes and to trive to a goal, even if you can't yet reach it. There is a game where you produce cement, but there is a side product of rocks, which is the main part of the game, just dumping it to the side until the late game. But then you discover a new tech and suddenly you can get rid of that, and even gain building materials quickly and efficiently. Same deal with water, first you mine it and build extensive pipelines but late game when the research is advanced, you can gain it from the atmosphere cheaper.

It would be so much better to upgrade the city at once, replace old things with newer and more convenient ones, also replace problems with new ones, you would have a midgame where you don't have to worry about food, but pollution would be an issue. Shift the damn focus. It could still be challenges based on tech and resource limitations, but a steady income of resources would make life possible with optimal choices. more combinations instead of more items. Like advancing to new eras for a ton of resources and having tasks all the time. And each focus would have some downside which would need to be managed later on.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#56 2022-05-19 20:49:38

JonySky
Website

Calm... The plan moving forward
jajajajajaj

Last edited by JonySky (2022-05-19 20:50:03)

#57 2023-07-25 22:35:46

TheOneTrueKing

jasonrohrer wrote:

I have been taking an extended break from OHOL to focus on other things.

You may have heard that my family and I fled California due to the compound effects of fires, crime, extreme covid lockdowns, riots, and continuously rising housing prices.

I made a good amount of money from OHOL (probably less than you think I made, especially considering five years of full-time work), but it was never quite enough to buy even a crappy house in Davis, CA.  We would essentially be going ALL IN by finally buying a house there.... all in on what, exactly?  Our kids hadn't been able to see their friends face-to-face for 6 solid months, and we were trapped inside our house for 7 weeks due to unbreathable wildfire air outside.  Meanwhile, people who were committing violent crimes were being released within hours (or not arrested at all---no room due to social distancing in the jails), and downtown Sacramento had a 10-block stretch that was completely boarded up for months, due to riots, just a few blocks from the state capitol.

Buying a crappy house in CA for way too much money no longer seemed like a wise all-in bet.

Our home life---our 3-year plan that had turned into a 9-year plan---had essentially fallen apart.

And we've spent the last year building back up a different home life, with a different long term plan, in New Hampshire.  We didn't QUITE escape the wildfire smoke, because the West Coast smoke was so bad this summer that it blew all the way to New Hampshire for a few days.  But nothing's boarded up, there are no riots, and our kids can see their friends freely.

Our new home life isn't quite 100% on track yet, but getting close.  I generally don't do well focusing on more than one big thing at a time, so I'm continuing to wait to get back to working on OHOL until things completely settle down and I can devote my full attention to it for a while.

In the mean time, I've been keeping myself feeling productive by cultivating Project December with two fingers while my other eight fingers focus on building home life.  I work on it a handful of hours per week, in a spare moment here and there.  I can't work on OHOL that way.... I need to sit down at a table and draw for four hours at a time.

But when I get back to it, here's the plan:

---Of course fix all the open bugs

---Do several months of bigger content updates

---Figure out a satisfying "endgame" of some kind.

“me manifesto!”

#58 2023-07-27 07:55:00

Shady
Banned

California sucks, my brother was forced to live in his car and later on join the military. They smoked the hell out of him in bootcamp.

I am Shady, I love exploring the internet.

#59 2023-07-27 18:01:08

TheOneTrueKing

Shady wrote:

California sucks, my brother was forced to live in his car and later on join the military. They smoked the hell out of him in bootcamp.

life is what you make it, that rant of the creators was the ravings of a lunatic.

#60 2023-08-01 00:52:43

mikeyreza

why are you guys talking on a dead thread and why is shady still here

Pine panel walls no longer require one rope each!

#61 2023-08-01 21:15:46

TheOneTrueKing

mikeyreza wrote:

why are you guys talking on a dead thread and why is shady still here

the same reason people are playing a dead game with shitty additions to it

Board footer