One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-04 01:06:59

Gremlynn

197 guests online

Big wow.

That's a lot of people. I really wish it was easier to make an account here. The gatekeeping with the "secret phrase" is honestly pretty stupid. Like who is going to be botting these forums anyway. I'm tempted to post the phrase on here but I'm sure i would get a slap on the wrist for it.

For those who don't know. The phrase is the same for everyone and you don't need to own the game to make a profile on here. Anyone can do it with an email address and the secret phrase.

I hope to see more fresh faces/voices on here. All opinions matter and the more diversity the more interesting discussion we can have.

I'm definitely not encouraging anyone brave enough to post the secret phrase below and I'm definitely not winking sarcastically.

Don't sue <3

#2 2021-07-04 01:34:27

DestinyCall

Re: 197 guests online

Our game servers were quite recently taken down by DDOSing bots, so I don't think it is so far fetched to think the forums could get targeted at some point.

That being said, a simple Captcha check would be a lot more user-friendly and allow more people to join in on the conversation.   Not sure why Jason went with a secret phrase.   Probably just to be different.

On a side note, I initially read that as 197 players on-line, in the game, and got a little excited.   

Is this going to be the first Steam Sale that DOESN'T cause a noob-apocalypse?    I have really mixed feels right now.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2021-07-04 01:39:41)

#3 2021-07-04 01:44:01

Gremlynn

Wouldnt it be easier to make a program that auto fills the secret phrase to create endless accounts? Isnt that less complicated than putting in different emails? I agree a captcha would be better, and probably safer. But nothing is stopping someone from running a program that makes hundreds of accounts, or doing that themselves, then having them all post spam until the server crashes.

But what would be the point of that? Attacking the game truly hurts the community and jason himself. Blocking up the forums would only be a bummer for the handful of people who actively post on here. I also imagine the website server can handle much higher traffic than the game servers can.

Meanwhile we limit the ability for people to participate here.

Without a doubt the noobpocalypse will be in full swing. Considering the average number of guests on here quadrupled in a day. I imagine the growth is bigger in game. Shame all the new players get to experience the game in its current state.

Last edited by Gremlynn (2021-07-04 01:50:17)

#4 2021-07-04 02:58:26

DestinyCall

There's only about 40 people on BS2, so the guest numbers don't appear to be reflected in the game at this time.   

Not like I want the game to break, but seeing triple digits  when the servers are not under siege would be really nice.

#5 2021-07-04 03:09:39

Gremlynn

True that. Though i dont think the game can support upwards of 80 in its current state.

Interesting how the forums are getting such a big spike but not the game itself. 40 seems pretty low for a weekend during a sale though.

Its rare to see the forums go over 100 let alone 200+

Hopefully we see some new faces soon. Been missing the old levels of activity here.

#6 2021-07-04 10:24:25

LilyFox

DestinyCall wrote:

There's only about 40 people on BS2, so the guest numbers don't appear to be reflected in the game at this time.   

Not like I want the game to break, but seeing triple digits  when the servers are not under siege would be really nice.

Need someone to advertise it on tiktok again. I'd love to see some more players on a server smile

#7 2021-07-05 03:58:55

Gremlynn

So we hit 246 guests. This feels abnormal. I want to think this is real people reading threads but the view counts don't correlate. Mods be wary of a potential ddos. Seems like a similar program. Spikes 100-200 people but cant get much beyond that.

To whoever may be trying this. It will likely take thousands of "guests" refreshing pages constantly to crash this site. I doubt you have the server to pull that off. Maybe if you had thousands of accounts posting at the same time it might work. But good luck pulling that off. Would only likely force a reboot and the website would be back online in a matter of minutes. Would need to cycle the same program over and over. At that point it wouldn't be hard to isolate the accounts and remove them.

Last edited by Gremlynn (2021-07-05 04:13:42)

#8 2021-07-05 04:41:18

DestinyCall

Please don't give them tips on how to DDOS better.  :-(

#9 2021-07-05 05:09:31

Gremlynn

Its less tips and more a perspective on the unscalable   heights they would need to reach to pull off anything with an impact. They would need a server as large or larger than the one this website runs on. Plus a program that targets its inefficiencies to actually crash it. Even then it would only crash the server for a moment before it would reboot and perform as normal. They would need to hammer the website with the same program over and over which would likely put a huge strain on the server they are using for the attack. So they would need something serious to pull this off long term. Not something a hobbyist can keep in their house, i mean maybe but they would need some serious capital. Something like 10k users maybe. Not easy to do and if jason is smart, or at least cautious, he will have put a cap on users so the server doesnt crash. This may block out real users like us accessing the forums for a little while but it will give jason time to resolve the problem. All my point is is that its an unwinnable situation for who ever might try to attack this place. Unlike the game itself, we dont pay to use the forums. Jason doesnt lose money or get hurt by it not functioning properly. In a sense only the regular users and readers get hurt by this. And for what? We dont get to annoy each other on here for a day or two? Big woop. Unlike the game, damaging this website has almost not monetary impact on jason. He could shut this place down for good if he wanted and it would probably save him money.

And wow back down to 66 users again...

And now 236...

And now 62 within like 5 min..

Easy to call this flux bs at this point.

Last edited by Gremlynn (2021-07-05 05:55:25)

#10 2021-07-05 08:29:30

Gremlynn

Just hit 322. If mods are not aware of this situation i highly suggest you keep an eye on it.

Last edited by Gremlynn (2021-07-05 08:30:47)

#11 2021-07-05 19:38:23

DestinyCall

Certainly not normal traffic.   And the game numbers are still moving around between 30 to 50, so it isn't an influx of new players.

Board footer