One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-06-18 10:20:20

bibe
Banned

The SERVERS under ATTACK! Why and Who?

I have talked to the person who is doing the attacks, her name is Villanelle.
She was recently banned from the discord and the forums.

Villanelle is a person who likes to spam the n-word and thinks its funny if people get triggered by it.
Words are only words and shouldn't trigger people, right?
But if you call her a "he" than she gets triggered a lot. The word "he" is not ok, but "nigger" is.
She also likes to brag about her ddos and has no problem admitting that she is doing it.

She told me she requested a refund from Jason and that he knows that she is Villanelle.
(Jason you have her bank info, i think you could take legal actions)

But what motivates a person like Villanelle to attack the servers?

Villanelle told me she is reading the forums since 2 years now but only recently bought ohol and joined the discord.
On the forums you can find people like Dodge, who spent their time fighting and insulting other members.
He also likes preaching about that its best to kill the game so Jason understands he made mistakes and fixes the game.
Maybe things like that motivate Villanelle?
Its also no surprise that Dodge spent the last few days defending Villanelle since they clearly have similar motives.

But I think the main reason why Villanelle attacks the servers is because she was made fun of in the discord.
And now she wants to harm the playerbase by breaking the servers. I don't think that she wants to harm Jason.

Mods in the discord love to make fun of other people and encourage it.
04hHJNk.png
rNw8JWy.png
source: https://imgur.com/a/Vd2wgNI
They could have just stayed neutral and respectful, and maybe warn/ban her in a fair way.
Which might not have resulted in the server attacks.
But instead kept provoking Villanelle and made fun of her.
They don't really care about the game anyways, call it a dead game and make fun of it too.
Just the last post of a mod here shows their attitude against some players:

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

While there's amazing people that play this game there is also horrible degenerates that play non-stop.

Hateful mods create hateful players.

Are mods here to resolve conflicts? or to create them?

But in the end nothing of this excuses the ddos attacks from Villanelle.
I am not writing this to defend Villanelle but to show that maybe things could have been prevented.
If nothing changes things like this are more likely to occur again in the future.

#2 2021-06-18 11:13:40

JackTreehorn

Re: The SERVERS under ATTACK! Why and Who?

Most of the mods are the people most passionate about the game and the player base.
You have to be to monitor the discord for hours each day.
They have opinions like everyone else and wont stay silent as soon as they become a mod.
Being a mod is a thankless job with no real perks.

I know the lack of new content and declining player base has been causing drama in recent weeks.
People should really have a tougher skin and ignore people whose comments provoke you.
People are bored and it seems Villanelle gets a lot of the heat because they are one of the last big greifers still currently playing.

OHOL still needs those players who like to build towns and be the town workhorse, think they are kings or queens, cause drama, kill for little reason or steal valuables.
It would be boring if everyone played the same.

A ddos attack was bound to happen eventually. On the bright side it was likely the best timing for it, while we are in a content drought and few players.
Better now so we can prevent it in the future than when the new content begins rolling out again.

Eve Audette

#3 2021-06-18 12:06:14

JonySky
Website

JackTreehorn wrote:

It would be boring if everyone played the same.

Those who play differently are sent to Donkeytown, ... or they are simply killed because they cannot defend themselves due to the gang mechanic ... (a broken mechanic, magical and unfair to both parties) that's why the game is dead ... because playing the same game over and over doing exactly the same thing is boring and nobody likes to play a boring game ...

OHOL is a game without life, without stories, without challenges.

#4 2021-06-18 13:00:10

Whip
Banned

Words are only words and shouldn't trigger people, right?
But if you call her a "he" than she gets triggered a lot. The word "he" is not ok, but "nigger" is.

Apparently for the inhabitants of discord it is fine to slander a person using any other words and for days to misgender a person out of sadism.

And yet if you say nigger everyone is triggered. Isn't it funny to you? Perhaps it would be funny to you if you witnessed what witnessed I. And no, I'm not triggered by misgendering, I'm appalled by sheer hypocrisy of OHOL Discord led by awful moderators.

As you can see on the screenshots mods admit they were making fun of me since I showed up because I was triggering them by highlighting what JonySky said here. I was saying the game is only played one way, you get cursed for playing another way.

You're saying I'm the biggest griefer. That is wrong. I did not grief in game. As Cordy who stalked my account said "she was just being annoying in game".

Mods in the discord love to make fun of other people and encourage it.

Yes if a fit scapegoat is found and I with my unorthodox opinion was claimed to be an alt of multiple of people that they hate and so I was hated.

But in the end nothing of this excuses the ddos attacks from Villanelle.

The mods seem to be excused on the premise they are only human for what they've done and practiced even before my arrival. Honestly by what I see, mods bully even Jason himself, with all their references to meth and Jason being a crackhead.

They have opinions like everyone else and wont stay silent as soon as they become a mod.
Being a mod is a thankless job with no real perks.

That is why normal people rarely become mods. Mods are usually people who want to abuse the little power they have.
Well . . . Vous savez chez nous . . . En un mot, set the most insignificant nonentity to sell miserable tickets at a railway station, and the nonentity will at once feel privileged to look down on you like a Jupiter, pour montrer son pouvoir when you go to take a ticket. 'Now then,' he says, 'I shall show you my power' . . . and in them it comes to a genuine, administrative ardour.

Last edited by Whip (2021-06-18 13:03:00)

#5 2021-06-18 13:14:27

DestinyCall

So I take it you are claiming credit for the recent server troubles, Whip/Villanelle?     

Jason already gave you a full refund.   Now you are just hurting innocent people who have done nothing to you.    That's griefing, you know.

It is not okay.

#6 2021-06-18 13:25:06

Lama
Banned

DestinyCall wrote:

So I take it you are claiming credit for the recent server troubles, Whip/Villanelle?     

Jason already gave you a full refund.   Now you are just hurting innocent people who have done nothing to you.    That's griefing, you know.

It is not okay.

Jason said some amount of griefing is inevitable and important

You can't have a full emotional spectrum without the darker elements.  Griefers are the yin to society's yang.

In all honesty I hope Jason remembers his own words and will nerf the curse system and will nerf or remove the posse mechanic. The game is ruined and only exists to build, build, build, consume. There is no threat, no meaning, nothing to unite against. Some petty griefing and people walking on eggshells looking where to spend their curse token.

Last edited by Lama (2021-06-18 13:28:40)

#7 2021-06-18 13:30:24

DestinyCall

We can't experience interesting stories without a functioning server, Lama/Whip/Villanelle.

Your argument is invalid. 

But you are obviously just claiming credit for these attacks to get the attention crave.    I doubt you actually did anything, beyond talking too much.

Troll be trolling.   This thread should be locked.  Anything we post will just encourage her to remain engaged in a community that she clearly doesn't care about.

#8 2021-06-18 13:31:44

Lama
Banned

We can't experience interesting stories without a functioning server, Lama/Whip/Villanelle.

You are experiencing one right now.

What even makes you play the game in its current state when the only danger is people going to sleep and so the village is naturally dying out due to only that? Pathetic.

Last edited by Lama (2021-06-18 13:33:22)

#9 2021-06-18 13:35:20

DestinyCall

I enjoy playing Minecraft and Stardew Valley.    I don't need this kind of drama to have a good time.

Have you considered therapy?   It is important to practice good self-care.

#10 2021-06-18 13:37:51

Lama
Banned

I enjoy playing Minecraft and Stardew Valley.

That's the only players that are left. Boring NPC-like people.

Have you considered therapy?   It is important to practice good self-care.

Your condescending tone is ew. Yes, I did consider it. Quite expensive for where I live. I am a survivor of child abuse and I have CPTSD which of course doesn't make you care more for what was done to me over the week on discord. Refund? Yes. An apology? Didn't get it. And not needing it anymore.

You might consider a refund as well, it seems servers aren't doing good nowadays.

Last edited by Lama (2021-06-18 13:38:44)

#11 2021-06-18 14:04:33

DestinyCall

I've been told that I always sound sarcastic in real life, even when I'm trying to be serious.   Probably related to having a high base-level of snark. 

But I'm serious about seeking out someone who can help you process your feelings in a healthy way.  Even if you can't afford a professional therapist, there must be someone in your life who can help you worth through your emotional baggage.   What you are doing right now isn't good for you or anyone else. 

I've looked back over the Discord logs to see what really happened and as an impartial observer, I agree that people said hurtful things to you and were not supportive of your idea/views/criticism.   But I don't think they made you act like a troll.  You did that and I think you would have done it eventually, even if everyone on the Discord had been completely welcoming and kind to you and agreed with everything you said.   It was only a matter of time before someone annoyed you by being annoyed by you. 

The way you respond to conflict isn't healthy and feeds the cycle of abuse.   If you aren't able to learn from your past experience and change your own behavior, things like this will just keep happening again and again.     Personal growth and accepting responsibility for your own actions is the path toward a better future.

#12 2021-06-18 14:12:32

Katz
Banned

You just imagined what would happen if they didn't bully me and based on your imagination you made assumptions and now you're completely in different reality.

Meanwhile server1 goes brrrr

#13 2021-06-18 14:38:00

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

The attitude and things you put out into the world is what you get back.

I hope you find a way to take a deep breath and enjoy some happiness in your life instead of being so negative. Good luck.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#14 2021-06-18 15:08:13

DestinyCall

No, Vinelle/Whip/Lama/Katz, I did not imagine what would happen if they didn't bully you.   I looked at how you interacted with other people who were not being negative toward you and how you engaged with the group when no one was interacting with you.   And also how you reported your in-game experiences and the way you describe your Discord interactions. 

When dealing with other people, you tend to get back what you put out, as Slinky said.  People are reflective.   If you bring negative energy, they are more likely to respond with something negative in return.   If you bring positivity, then they are more likely to respond in the same way.  Compassion fosters understanding.   

We can't always control our emotions or other people's actions, but we can work on improving how we engage with other people.   And in the process, you will find that more people will reflect that kindness and understanding back to you.   Being respectful toward others and seeking to understand their position is a better way to deal with interpersonal conflict.

When you hurt people for hurting you, that just leads to more people getting hurt.  If they respond in the same way, the hurt will keep on spreading.   It is a short-term victory that leaves lasting scars.   And I don't think anyone really wants that.

#15 2021-06-18 15:32:43

Gremlynn

Wowie, what do we have here?

First off im a little confused about the proof that Villanelle/Whip/Lama/Katz is responsible for the ddos. The original author very clearly states it was without a doubt them, but i dont see any proof of that. Destiny also mentions "they are obviously taking credit for these attacks". Did they edit their messages to remove those elements of guilt or are we reading too much into their comments? Sure they dont openly deny it, but they also dont openly admit it. At least as far as I can tell. Its fine to be upset with Villanelle for however they acted but accusing them of a serious crime without solid proof is not a joke. Im also not a fan of how the author of the thread called out dodge. As if he had a serious influence on making this ddos attack happen. That is no joke either. In some countries dodge or villanelle could be put in jail for suspicion before their trial for statements like that. You would also be liable for slander if you were wrong and could face jail time. This shit is not a joke so you better have proof if you're going to throw around accusations like this.

Last edited by Gremlynn (2021-06-18 20:02:45)

#16 2021-06-18 15:46:30

DestinyCall

Villanelle claimed credit for the DOS attacks on PHEX. Then claimed to be joking.   Up to you to decide which claim is more creditable.   Could be they are just taking advantage of a bad situation to get more attention, like claiming responsibility for a bomb threat so the other kids think you are cool and edgy.   That would be in-character.

The fact that many of the attacks seem to be originating from France is not proof of anything, of course.   Just interesting.

#17 2021-06-18 15:50:31

forman

bibe wrote:

the attacks

Calling this an 'attack' is generous -- attack implies you know what you're doing.

This is really just a very petty person being a nuisance.

My assumption is that Jason didn't expect anyone to behave so poorly (and it hasn't likely happened at this level before) and so now he has to make some adjustments at a time when he's clearly busy with other stuff.

#18 2021-06-18 15:58:29

Gremlynn

Fair enough but it will be beneficial to tread lightly surrounding this topic. Especially since screenshots would need to be provided and or proof that it was indeed villanelle on the other end of that phex user name. I struggle to see how they would still be playing if they had recieved a refund but maybe im confused. Not claiming or defending anything. I just suggest a great deal of caution when making any accusations or judgements surrounding this. DDOS attacks are serious crimes and could set up whoever is responsible up for jail time or at least a sever penalty. Trust me you dont want to be even a little bit responsible for falsely accusing someone and destroying their life. We need solid proof. Guessing a presumptions are not a good idea when analyzing this serious crime. I get the community is upset and i shouldnt be surprised by reckless accusations and possible scapegoating. But we need to be cautious, for our own sake and for the sake of others. Its one thing to not like someone, its another to accuse them of a serious crime and ruin their life, especially without tangible proof.

#19 2021-06-18 16:07:33

DestinyCall

Yeah, Jason has already spent too many hours dealing with this problem.  His family misses him.  :-(

#20 2021-06-18 18:26:59

Chivalryisfish

Imagine ignoring the 'victim'

#21 2021-06-18 19:08:30

DestinyCall

In the words of Howard Dully:

"We are all victims of what is done to us.

We can either use that as an excuse for failure, or we can say 'I want something better than that, I deserve something better than that, and I am going to make myself a life worth living."

This is his wikipedia page, if you are unfamiliar with his story. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Dully

Suffice it to say, Mr. Dully knows a thing or two about being a victim, but he chose to not let his trauma define him as a person.  And I think that is really inspiring.

#22 2021-06-23 22:47:06

BlueCramberry64

DestinyCall wrote:

The way you respond to conflict isn't healthy and feeds the cycle of abuse.   If you aren't able to learn from your past experience and change your own behavior, things like this will just keep happening again and again.     Personal growth and accepting responsibility for your own actions is the path toward a better future.

When dealing with other people, you tend to get back what you put out, as Slinky said.  People are reflective.   If you bring negative energy, they are more likely to respond with something negative in return.   If you bring positivity, then they are more likely to respond in the same way.  Compassion fosters understanding.   

We can't always control our emotions or other people's actions, but we can work on improving how we engage with other people.   And in the process, you will find that more people will reflect that kindness and understanding back to you.   Being respectful toward others and seeking to understand their position is a better way to deal with interpersonal conflict.

When you hurt people for hurting you, that just leads to more people getting hurt.  If they respond in the same way, the hurt will keep on spreading.   It is a short-term victory that leaves lasting scars.   And I don't think anyone really wants that.

You have a good hearth Destiny, and your words are beautiful. Made my day brighter. Sometimes the only thing that can breake the cycle of pain and hatered is care and love, and to become responsible for yourself. We are responsible for our own happiness, to say.

Board footer