One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-10 19:08:22

Lexyvil

Re: Suicide Babies

I'm pretty sure the reason is part of your second paragraph: They try to respawn in the town they've been in a previous life.

There's less fun in doing that, in my opinion as it beats the purpose of the game.

Last edited by Lexyvil (2018-04-12 19:07:44)

#27 2018-04-10 21:37:14

IronBear

fatalwolf wrote:

The dev could make it so babies cant break away from a mothers carry until they are a certain age. Think of it as a repawn penalty. It would also be logical for a baby to not be strong enough to break away from an adult that is carrying it.

Let the babies die.  I would rather keep a player who wants to be there than force them some how.

Dumb babies die.

#28 2018-04-10 22:02:54

pein

eves should have more girls, its hard and boring enough to play 60 minutes to make a farm, not to worry about your heritage

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#29 2018-04-12 00:38:33

Monolith_Rans

I never abandon children, and I’m an excelent bush mom.  I also feed other people’s kids who will be abandoned.  Sometimes the villages I live in run out of food because the kids overrun the place and don’t help out enough, but I still think it’s worth it.  I always show the babies around.  When things get bad I take my babies into the bush and establish new camps.  Because I’m willing to live in any situation and help other people live, I’m able to see new things and populate new places.  I even saw the apocalypse monolith. I didn’t know what it was at the time, but my son and I got to see it.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#30 2018-04-12 02:34:11

Kouyate

Thorware wrote:

I suicide because.... I'm playing this game to have fun, not to serve random strangers.

MissionStatement wrote:

...building something to use in your lifetime, but inevitably realizing that, in the end, what you build is not for YOU, but for your children and all the countless others that will come after you...

I mean ...dude... did you even read the description of the game? Just goes to show that whenever you create something, someone will eventually distort what you have envisioned. This social experiment was worth every penny to experience.

#31 2018-04-12 03:58:32

Alleria

Monolith_Rans wrote:

I never abandon children, and I’m an excelent bush mom.  I also feed other people’s kids who will be abandoned.  Sometimes the villages I live in run out of food because the kids overrun the place and don’t help out enough, but I still think it’s worth it.  I always show the babies around.  When things get bad I take my babies into the bush and establish new camps.  Because I’m willing to live in any situation and help other people live, I’m able to see new things and populate new places.  I even saw the apocalypse monolith. I didn’t know what it was at the time, but my son and I got to see it.

You're actually the reason the villages run out of food, don't blame the babies (although they are partly responsible also). People abandon babies when the civ is overpopulated. Only look after someone's baby if asked to, or if it's obvious you're not overpopulated. A civs carrying capacity increases over time, but if exceeded at any point, it's most likely your whole tribe will be wiped out. I do applaud you for migrating when SHTF though.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#32 2018-04-12 04:46:59

Darcie

I have done this when
1)  One of the players in the city says something that shows they are a terrible person.  I'm not interested in playing with people like that.
2)  I hope to re-spawn at a spot I was just recently. ( give it three tries, usually I get it on the second oddly).
3)  I reflexively hit Get Reborn look at the clock and realize I don't have time.
4)  I see a million other babies.
5)  I see all boys and I just spawned as a boy.  Usually if I do this, I will pop back to the exact same spot as a badly needed girl.

Last edited by Darcie (2018-04-12 05:02:41)

#33 2018-04-12 06:29:09

Thorware

Kouyate wrote:
Thorware wrote:

I suicide because.... I'm playing this game to have fun, not to serve random strangers.

MissionStatement wrote:

...building something to use in your lifetime, but inevitably realizing that, in the end, what you build is not for YOU, but for your children and all the countless others that will come after you...

I mean ...dude... did you even read the description of the game? Just goes to show that whenever you create something, someone will eventually distort what you have envisioned. This social experiment was worth every penny to experience.

Respectfully, that mission statement does not describe the game as it currently exists. It says "countless others that will come after you," but currently you are lucky if a few more come after you before noobs or griefers ruin the village and starve and your "legacy" is essentially permanently lost to the vast wilderness of the map.

I would have absolutely no problem "serving random strangers" in the sense of making things that many descendants would find useful. That seems a noble, worthwhile, and compelling goal. In fact that used to be all I focused on, back when we kept respawning in the same villages and adding on to them. But the game as it stands does not include the ability to leave a legacy in any meaningful way.

When I say I do not play to "serve random strangers," what I mean is that when I log in to play I have my own ideas and goals about what sort of things I'd like to do in the game. I don't play so that other players can dictate my goals. I don't respawn just to be the designated helper/educator of the first random player I spawn to. I don't play a game to be a slave. Especially when as an experienced player I often know what will help a village far better than the average player. I don't care if you're my mother. There's such a thing as insolent and disobedient children anyway.

#34 2018-04-12 06:48:53

Verinon1

People could going to the bathroom or having a smoke or some other IRL reason.

#35 2018-04-12 07:04:01

Alleria

Thorware wrote:
Kouyate wrote:
Thorware wrote:

MissionStatement wrote:

Respectfully, that mission statement does not describe the game as it currently exists. It says "countless others that will come after you," but currently you are lucky if a few more come after you before noobs or griefers ruin the village and starve and your "legacy" is essentially permanently lost to the vast wilderness of the map.

I would have absolutely no problem "serving random strangers" in the sense of making things that many descendants would find useful. That seems a noble, worthwhile, and compelling goal. In fact that used to be all I focused on, back when we kept respawning in the same villages and adding on to them. But the game as it stands does not include the ability to leave a legacy in any meaningful way.

When I say I do not play to "serve random strangers," what I mean is that when I log in to play I have my own ideas and goals about what sort of things I'd like to do in the game. I don't play so that other players can dictate my goals. I don't respawn just to be the designated helper/educator of the first random player I spawn to. I don't play a game to be a slave. Especially when as an experienced player I often know what will help a village far better than the average player. I don't care if you're my mother. There's such a thing as insolent and disobedient children anyway.

Just had a game where my mum trashed the carrot farm (let about ten plots seed). In short, I was a little shit. Eventually my mum had had enough, and was attempting to grab a bow and arrow. Luckily, I was old enough to pick up weapons, and I quickly grabbed a bow and shot her while she was fumbling with the other one. I had about eight competent children, and we turned the civ around and hit end game within my lifetime (all tools, sheep, horse-carts, etc.). Just wanna thank my two brothers and children for not killing me in retaliation...

Last edited by Alleria (2018-04-12 07:10:48)

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#36 2018-04-12 07:13:06

YAHG

Alleria wrote:

Fuck yeah.
I got killed by my daughter too. I was telling all my girl kids to spam babies as hard as they could, we were in a huge old city and I was feeling mischievous.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#37 2018-04-12 16:23:02

aldraw

I've suicided because I've wanted to start as an eve or with an eve and start from the beginning.  I find it more fun than contributing to something someone else made.  I also like the challenge.

#38 2018-04-12 17:17:01

breezeknight

aldraw wrote:

I've suicided because I've wanted to start as an eve or with an eve and start from the beginning.  I find it more fun than contributing to something someone else made.  I also like the challenge.

i think too, first you have to learn the basics as kid,
but then you have to succeed as Eve, in the meantime while you try & fail, try & fail, you can support others as kid too but not as a baby machine, not as long you don't succeed as Eve, at least once

because not to know if the own endevours left a mark, a personal mark, is demotivating to even play
it's all dandy to support other families, but you have to get something io to be willing to give too

that's why it would good to have family trees, those are motivating

i was born yesterday, few sessions back into a family i founded as Eve, that's rewarding
now i know at least one of my efforts to found something was successful
now i can support others more willingly, from time to time even as a female baby boom machine

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-12 17:18:13)

#39 2018-04-15 14:04:28

Jorge

The suiciding babies can be really frustrating. I have played at least one round as an Eve where every single baby went off to suicide, and I went gray from old age. However, it doesn't always happen; I have also had games where every kid stuck around and we could get things going. I think it also depends on if there's a big town on the server or not -- people try to respawn in the town instead of roughing it out in the wilderness.

#40 2018-04-15 14:38:36

Izlador

I usually only suicide if I want to help an eve out actually, I don't always like being in huge villages from the get-go so sometimes I'll kill myself so I can spawn in a smaller village or be in the wilderness completely. Also, people need to name their kids, it's starting to get annoying. I've met several people with no names at all and it's hard to get their attention.

#41 2018-04-15 21:20:35

Star Chaser

Portager wrote:

I for the life of me can't figure out why babies suicide in the middle of a well established (and sustainable) village

I suicide because sometimes I don't spawn in as the gender which I want at that moment, or want to be reborn into a village I made/was in.

#42 2018-04-15 21:38:54

suzanbones

I actually closed the game a few times to re spawn when there are only like one or two males left in the village.

ow, and I closed the game once cause I respawned as Eve after just playing an Eve for an hour or so. I was like nope, not going through this whole process again right now.

Last edited by suzanbones (2018-04-15 21:39:27)

#43 2018-04-16 00:48:00

pein

if you suicide, drop the fucking backpack, i had a noob who run 4 biomes away with a pack, and he didnt run instantly, for 5 seconds was perfectly fine, i didnt even would give him a pack if he wants to suicide

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer