One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-23 01:03:49

GamingDorito

Update idea: The War Update

I was thinking today, and i realized that there's no armor or reason to go to war with anyone, and if there is one, its just too far away. So I went back to the rift update.

You may ask, why tho? Because in that update, while it wasnt the best, warfare was something that could happen and wasnt too hard to do. I'm not asking for a re implementation of the rift, but families spawning closer.

There's more!
Remember the armor i mentioned at the start? the one that doesnt exist? What if jason added one?

Every civilization had one war on its history, and thats why many developed tools for said warfare. Since we don't have guns yet, it would be reasonable to add armor to the game.
How i think it should work is:
1: 50% base chance of deflecting a hit, making a metal hitting metal sound if it did.
2: Depending on the material, the chance can go up or down. the max it should be able to go is 75%.
3: Not hard but not cheap to manufacture either. Making effective armors should cost a decent ammount of materials, since, well, it would be op if it didnt.
4: Shields. They should be able to block attacks at the cost of durability. The durability should range from 10 to 35 uses, depending the material.

That's my idea for a update. Thank you for reading.

(Also sorry if there are spelling mistakes. English isnt my first language.)

one hour one life warmonger because ingame violence is funny most of the time (unless its family murder)

you are a chad of chads if you read this

#2 2021-03-23 07:03:16

TheRubyCart

Re: Update idea: The War Update

Going to war should be more available,

Ideas to make it easier,
1. Only one family is need to declare war
2. Make it more accessible to declare war, for example, let people 40+ declare war, leader and her children, person who is atleast a lady / lord, or make people with a gense score 35+ be able to declare war if 30+
3. Make it require 1-3 people to kill again, it would make it interesting again
4. Provide an incentive to declare war (idk how to do this but, some ideas, some fertility (kinda suck), lower pip decrease rate, and maybe resources grow a bit faster, or make animals take longer to starve)

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#3 2021-03-23 11:31:32

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

No. Absolutely not.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#4 2021-03-23 12:01:27

arkajalka

XD like we going to get any updates

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#5 2021-03-23 19:02:33

DestinyCall

I don't need a war update.

Just give me a baby sling.

#6 2021-03-23 20:08:38

GamingDorito

DestinyCall wrote:

I don't need a war update.

Just give me a baby sling.

heck yeah the ultimate weapon

one hour one life warmonger because ingame violence is funny most of the time (unless its family murder)

#7 2021-03-23 20:10:42

TheRubyCart

arkajalka wrote:

You do realize jason is currently moving to a different US territory / state right?

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#8 2021-03-23 20:12:17

GamingDorito

TheRubyCart wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

You do realize jason is currently moving to a different US territory / state right?

ik you didnt quote me, but i didn't know that he was moving. i thought he was taking a rest from the game lol.

#9 2021-03-23 20:16:04

TheRubyCart

GamingDorito wrote:
TheRubyCart wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

ik you didnt quote me, but i didn't know that he was moving. i thought he was taking a rest from the game lol.

He's moving from california to somewhere near the east coast, he will probably announce when he's done and might take a break idk

#10 2021-03-23 21:23:24

DestinyCall

Yeah, the game is essentially on hiatus until the move is complete, since Jason is a one man team and not in a position to work from home when he is in between homes.

It would be kind of hilarious if this was his first update when he gets back, considering how much we all enjoyed the war swords update.  So much fun getting killed by feral Eves while tending carrots.  I miss it so.

Personally, I am hoping that all the home renovations inspires Jason to make some building-oriented changes so we are motivated to build up our villages with more structures.  Perhaps some crafting stations that require indoor placement  or more useful stuff that requires a wall, like fireplaces.  Or decorative items, like windows.

#11 2021-03-23 21:49:12

GamingDorito

DestinyCall wrote:

Yeah, the game is essentially on hiatus until the move is complete, since Jason is a one man team and not in a position to work from home when he is in between homes.

It would be kind of hilarious if this was his first update when he gets back, considering how much we all enjoyed the war swords update.  So much fun getting killed by feral Eves while tending carrots.  I miss it so.

Personally, I am hoping that all the home renovations inspires Jason to make some building-oriented changes so we are motivated to build up our villages with more structures.  Perhaps some crafting stations that require indoor placement  or more useful stuff that requires a wall, like fireplaces.  Or decorative items, like windows.

the point isnt to make feral eves a thing again, just a slightly better and more complete pvp system, or atleast a good reason to go to war and just colonize other towns. heck even a reason to have multiple settlements would be good, since all i see is one town per family and nothing else.

also yeah some new furniture would be good. specially chairs for the tables

#12 2021-03-23 23:40:17

DestinyCall

I wasn't suggesting that you would want feral eves, just pointing out that this game already had a "war update" and it didn't really make for engaging game play.   I think there are a lot of different reasons why it didn't work out so good, but I don't want to completely derail this thread taking about an old update.

Unfortunately, the current state of the game doesn't really allow us the freedom to claim other towns or kill our neighbors indiscriminately, even if we want to do that.    And we are pretty severely limited on where we can find water and iron, so one family can only ever make one town site, which makes it pretty hard to move.

I miss the days when you could wander off into the wilderness to build a better village if the current town was a total garbage pile or clearly doomed to fail in the near future.  It made for an interesting change of pace from the average life story.

When the idea of biome specializations was first proposed, before we saw its final disappointing form, I remember getting really excited over the possibilities.  Like what if you could build a village anywhere you want, but crops could only grow in certain biomes.   In order to grow jungle crops, you would need to make a jungle outpost, then transport your crops back to the main village or neighboring settlements.    Some crops could only grow in swamps or only grow in prairies, so no village would have access to all crops and different villages would end up specializing in different foods.   Meanwhile, there could be new building materials also, lile the snow walls in the artic.   So jungle village would look different from desert towns, because the villagers would construct  buildings using different materials - stone in the desert, bamboo and palm leaves in the jungle, wood planks in the forest, adobe huts in the swamp, snow in the artic, etc.   

There could also be unique dyes and other cosmetic items that were easily available in some areas, but harder to get in others, so that the location of your village would impact the overall appearance and needs of the villagers. 

Lastly, if certain people were better able to live in certain biomes - like they were immune to mosquitoes and didn't suffer from high temperatures, they could live more easily in jungle or if they were unaffected by cold, but extra sensitive to hot, they might want to live in the tundra and mountains.   Hot tribes would tend to settle in or near hotter biomes and cold tribes would tend to settle in colder regions, of course.   But you could leave your village and venture into the unknown, if you were properly equipped and ready to face inhospitable conditions.  In this way, you could have "biome specialization" while still allowing the individual villagers the freedom to live and work where ever they wanted.   

I think biome specialization could have added a lot of interesting challenges and unique experiences to the game, if they were implemented in a slightly different way.

Less casual racism and more bio-diversity and climate control.

#13 2021-03-24 01:33:01

GamingDorito

DestinyCall wrote:

I wasn't suggesting that you would want feral eves, just pointing out that this game already had a "war update" and it didn't really make for engaging game play.   I think there are a lot of different reasons why it didn't work out so good, but I don't want to completely derail this thread taking about an old update.

Unfortunately, the current state of the game doesn't really allow us the freedom to claim other towns or kill our neighbors indiscriminately, even if we want to do that.    And we are pretty severely limited on where we can find water and iron, so one family can only ever make one town site, which makes it pretty hard to move.

I miss the days when you could wander off into the wilderness to build a better village if the current town was a total garbage pile or clearly doomed to fail in the near future.  It made for an interesting change of pace from the average life story.

When the idea of biome specializations was first proposed, before we saw its final disappointing form, I remember getting really excited over the possibilities.  Like what if you could build a village anywhere you want, but crops could only grow in certain biomes.   In order to grow jungle crops, you would need to make a jungle outpost, then transport your crops back to the main village or neighboring settlements.    Some crops could only grow in swamps or only grow in prairies, so no village would have access to all crops and different villages would end up specializing in different foods.   Meanwhile, there could be new building materials also, lile the snow walls in the artic.   So jungle village would look different from desert towns, because the villagers would construct  buildings using different materials - stone in the desert, bamboo and palm leaves in the jungle, wood planks in the forest, adobe huts in the swamp, snow in the artic, etc.   

There could also be unique dyes and other cosmetic items that were easily available in some areas, but harder to get in others, so that the location of your village would impact the overall appearance and needs of the villagers. 

Lastly, if certain people were better able to live in certain biomes - like they were immune to mosquitoes and didn't suffer from high temperatures, they could live more easily in jungle or if they were unaffected by cold, but extra sensitive to hot, they might want to live in the tundra and mountains.   Hot tribes would tend to settle in or near hotter biomes and cold tribes would tend to settle in colder regions, of course.   But you could leave your village and venture into the unknown, if you were properly equipped and ready to face inhospitable conditions.  In this way, you could have "biome specialization" while still allowing the individual villagers the freedom to live and work where ever they wanted.   

I think biome specialization could have added a lot of interesting challenges and unique experiences to the game, if they were implemented in a slightly different way.

Less casual racism and more bio-diversity and climate control.

too sad it didn't turn out like that. it would had been a awesome update, and a gateway to other updates like that.

Board footer