One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-09 20:43:05

IronBear

Disatisfied with the direction the game is goi.

I personally am tired of this game.

When I first started this game I loved it.  Every life was a different story.  I felt like I learned a little something from each life.  I also enjoyed exploring the ruins of dead civilizations and occasionally restarting them.  It was also fun to watch the playerbase roleplay and find solutions to trolls.

Last few games I have played have been disappointing. Just desperate Eve's run from berry Bush to berry Bush or a Stone age civ that get overloaded with babies because they are the only ones not dying immediately.  And what is point of the game now? . Build a civ that eventually produces the Apocalypse.  Yeah that is what I want out of my gameplay.  A parable about how the rich and entitled will kill us all for entertainment.  And top of that the game is more laggy.

The thing that I think the creator is failing to understand is that we don't necessarily need an end goal provided by the game designer.  Before the Apocalypse update I was starting to pour my efforts into the arts.  I would build tombs and temples.

This game broke my heart, so I am giving it a break.  Maybe I will  return when there more than the "Griefer Love" flavor of this game.

Last edited by IronBear (2018-04-09 20:44:26)

#2 2018-04-09 20:44:30

Aurora Aurora

Re: Disatisfied with the direction the game is goi.

Yeah but they just announced that theyre saying goodbye to the apocalypse and that it was a bad idea.

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#3 2018-04-09 21:22:10

Lexyvil

About the apocalypse, it was essential to restart from scratch to force new players to get to know the basics. Before that, ruins could be found everywhere.

The only problem was that the apocalypse only needed to happen once rather than four or five times at a fast pace, which is why it got disabled for now until it becomes much harder to achieve one.

Last edited by Lexyvil (2018-04-10 01:23:31)

#4 2018-04-09 21:25:47

Lucky-San

there are multiple ways to play this game according to the state of the civilisation in which we are born:

there is a pure survival game. some people like it. I like it too... ;-)
there is also a different  game (advanced civisation) where we can teach for beginners, doing exploration, story telling, etc...

I like this 2 game, in regard of the mood of the day...
I would really like to choose to login between 2 pool of servers (survival or advanced). It will be like a level of difficulty.
a map/server could live his life (based on the number of crafted-items on the map/server for example...):
              Post-apo -> advanced -> apocalyptic -> post-apo -> etc...

It could be the solution to answer the needs of the 2 communities of the game (survival, story-telling and beginners)

Last edited by Lucky-San (2018-04-09 21:39:16)

sorry for my english, but you know, not everyone is british or american... I'm french by the way (the best country in the world!) wink

#5 2018-04-09 22:06:55

vilka

Come try the Two Hour One Life server, cities last but you can also branch out to make a new one if you so desire. It's more about building towns that last there.

Here is the discord, check the information section to see what's different there

https://discord.gg/ENuEJUB

#6 2018-04-09 22:48:27

Baker

Tbh I actually prefer how the game is now. I found the big cities to be impressive but also incredibly boring and overcrowded. So my average pre-apocalypse life went as follows. I'd be born into a large city, My mother would give me a brief tour of the city. They had wooden floors and bearskins rugs everywhere, several huge farms, 10+ carts of extra food, a big pie factory, several of all the steel tools and everyone was fully clothed. You couldn't contribute anything that wasn't already done a thousand times, just work the farm and make pies.

Yes, that is impressive that players built it but let's be real, that city would have been on and off for weeks. Eves would find by spawning near it or a road leading to it. They would find tons of supplies and everything already made for them, So they would have kids and so on. That Eves family would have the city for a few generations maybe a lot. Then maybe people would start getting off or leaving the city or just someone got bored and murdered everyone. So the cycle repeats itself.

Once that city has exhausted the tech tree they have nothing to do but make food forever. Dying out didn't matter because the next eve would just come in a few hours. They aren't building anything new, The city has already done everything many generations ago.

You might die a lot more after the apocalypse but it's not to say that they aren't any advanced civs, just not to the extent of the old world. Your civ just has to keep there lineage going so the future generations can climb the tech tree but once your family line dies out, It's unlikely anyone else will find it. Sure, It sucks to lose everything but civs die, that's life.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#7 2018-04-09 23:05:02

YAHG

Baker wrote:

Tbh I actually prefer how the game is now. I found the big cities to be impressive but also incredibly boring and overcrowded. So my average pre-apocalypse life went as follows. I'd be born into a large city, My mother would give me a brief tour of the city. They had wooden floors and bearskins rugs everywhere, several huge farms, 10+ carts of extra food, a big pie factory, several of all the steel tools and everyone was fully clothed. You couldn't contribute anything that wasn't already done a thousand times, just work the farm and make pies.

Yes, that is impressive that players built it but let's be real, that city would have been on and off for weeks. Eves would find by spawning near it or a road leading to it. They would find tons of supplies and everything already made for them, So they would have kids and so on. That Eves family would have the city for a few generations maybe a lot. Then maybe people would start getting off or leaving the city or just someone got bored and murdered everyone. So the cycle repeats itself.

Once that city has exhausted the tech tree they have nothing to do but make food forever. Dying out didn't matter because the next eve would just come in a few hours. They aren't building anything new, The city has already done everything many generations ago.

You might die a lot more after the apocalypse but it's not to say that they aren't any advanced civs, just not to the extent of the old world. Your civ just has to keep there lineage going so the future generations can climb the tech tree but once your family line dies out, It's unlikely anyone else will find it. Sure, It sucks to lose everything but civs die, that's life.

Amen, I still think decay would've been cooler. I have been in big boring places and tried to make it interesting by spamming babies to starve it out or by trying to start blood feuds <3

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#8 2018-04-09 23:17:13

Baker

YAHG wrote:
Baker wrote:

Amen, I still think decay would've been cooler. I have been in big boring places and tried to make it interesting by spamming babies to starve it out or by trying to start blood feuds <3

I saw someone do that, We had 2 families. Don't remember the names. Long story short our grandmother told us that the city was our rightful land and that the other family had invaded our lands. So a bunch of my family grabbed weapons and slaughters the other family, they sparred one guy as a punishment. He would live on but his family line would die with him.

#9 2018-04-09 23:23:11

Uncle Gus

I also think decay would be more interesting than a total wipe, but considering that a total wipe was necessary, the apocalypse was a much more interesting way to do it than just "the servers are down for maintenance".

#10 2018-04-09 23:23:26

YAHG

Baker wrote:
YAHG wrote:
Baker wrote:

Amen, I still think decay would've been cooler. I have been in big boring places and tried
to make it interesting by spamming babies to starve it out or by trying to start blood feuds
<3

I saw someone do that, We had 2 families. Don't remember the names. Long story short
our grandmother told us that the city was our rightful land and that the other family had
invaded our lands. So a bunch of my family grabbed weapons and slaughters the other
family, they sparred one guy as a punishment. He would live on but his family line would
die with him.

Glorious... I often like to tell people to kill anyone without our last name. In prosperous
lands I like to spend my life forging knives and leaving them all over the place.. big_smile

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#11 2018-04-10 00:00:16

IronBear

If you are born in a large city that strikes me as a chance to work on "culture".  My proudest game was when I was the last female of town and me and my son had built a temple to honor our doomed family.  Anyone can make an axe or bake a pie.  But to leave a beautiful and elborate building for others to come marvel over is very fulfilling.

#12 2018-04-10 01:10:53

Lucky-San

vilka wrote:

Come try the Two Hour One Life server, cities last but you can also branch out to make a new one if you so desire. It's more about building towns that last there.

Here is the discord, check the information section to see what's different there

https://discord.gg/ENuEJUB

It's coop-survival game... If the game doesn't respond the needs of some gamers, and they must migrate to non-officials servers, I think that there is somehow a problem we need to discute...

maybe a system where we can choose the "difficulty" (or the "era" like "Heroes Era"/"Bronze Era"/"Apocalyptic Era"). I have made a post on reddit where I elabore certain idea about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … mmunities/

Last edited by Lucky-San (2018-04-10 02:06:37)

sorry for my english, but you know, not everyone is british or american... I'm french by the way (the best country in the world!) wink

#13 2018-04-10 02:10:59

Baker

IronBear wrote:

If you are born in a large city that strikes me as a chance to work on "culture".  My proudest game was when I was the last female of town and me and my son had built a temple to honor our doomed family.  Anyone can make an axe or bake a pie.  But to leave a beautiful and elborate building for others to come marvel over is very fulfilling.

Sure but then what?. Assuming that you left a future generation, they would probably have used it to facilitate indoor piemaking as well as storage of excess junk. Possibly a nursery to raise dozens of kids so they can continue to make pies and farm carrots. You could argue that anyone can build stuff too.

Besides most cities already had stuff built anyway, now your people can do the exact same you've been doing for centuries but now indoors. PLus you've said it yourself, you only do "culture" when you have nothing else left to do, must have been pretty low on the priorities if it's the very last thing you'll do.

Last edited by Baker (2018-04-10 02:12:05)

#14 2018-04-10 02:13:10

Jfenne

Game has gotten ridiculously hard and super boring. I've been playing since day 1. I've played multiple lives tonight, and there's nothing except a barren landscape. I came here to build civilizations, not desperately try to find berries while setting up what are nothing more than camps. Please fix.

#15 2018-04-10 02:35:30

Auner

You realize that the restart happened and it took weeks to build it the first time- it will take weeks to build it the second time..  The game will come back if you know how to basics-- and actually it's really quite fun impressing people.

The weekend did good things for the first server.

One thing I want to convey to the OP--- Jason gets that there is no end game necessary. The realities of what made him make this bad decision is because we want to consume more than he can produce. So of course it gets boring! By supporting Jason's game your supporting that this idea of a new kind of flavor of game play can be fun. But imagine having 30k people who are demanding you work *really* hard for $20 once tongue Have a little patience! (mind you, programmers can be $$$ and that's a salary)

Another thing I want to add- is I don't know if you played before the whole restart--- but it was *bad*. Like it was borderline hitting un-playable as an eve just due to the sheer mass of ruins, the local re-spawning of eves- and imagine being invaded every 3 minutes by an eve+baby just cause you are occupying a ruin near this mega spawn spot. The problems mentioned by Jason were *very* real in my experiences near the end- and it sucks he had to be bad guy but it was the sanest choice.

Last edited by Auner (2018-04-10 02:37:10)

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#16 2018-04-10 02:40:32

Verinon1

Auner wrote:

You realize that the restart happened and it took weeks to build it the first time- it will take weeks to build it the second time..  The game will come back if you know how to basics-- and actually it's really quite fun impressing people.

The weekend did good things for the first server.

One thing I want to convey to the OP--- Jason gets that there is no end game necessary. The realities of what made him make this bad decision is because we want to consume more than he can produce. So of course it gets boring! By supporting Jason's game your supporting that this idea of a new kind of flavor of game play can be fun. But imagine having 30k people who are demanding you work *really* hard for $20 once tongue Have a little patience! (mind you, programmers can be $$$ and that's a salary)

Another thing I want to add- is I don't know if you played before the whole restart--- but it was *bad*. Like it was borderline hitting un-playable as an eve just due to the sheer mass of ruins, the local re-spawning of eves- and imagine being invaded every 3 minutes by an eve+baby just cause you are occupying a ruin near this mega spawn spot. The problems mentioned by Jason were *very* real in my experiences near the end- and it sucks he had to be bad guy but it was the sanest choice.

I’m starting to see towns develop again. You’re right, it’s going to take time. Until then, make some crappy camps, get the basics down, teach newcomers, and maybe if you’re lucky, you’ll spawn in one of the new towns.

#17 2018-04-10 05:51:09

yvanhooe

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Yeah but they just announced that theyre saying goodbye to the apocalypse and that it was a bad idea.

Just so you know, there are no "they". It is the work of a single person: Jason Rohrer. He is alone to do everything: implement new tech tree, fix bugs, manage the community, etc... The apocalypse was, IMO a bad decision, but I am willing to cut him some (a lot of) slack seeing the huge amount of work there is behind such a thing.

Auner wrote:

The spawning algorithm changed, so new Eves now spawn very far from already started civilizations. The first time it took a lot of reboots to get to a decent city or even a sustainable farm. And that was before the composting update, I am not sure sustainable farming is even possible now. I am not a fan of this change and I suspect we won't see big cities before a *long* time.

Auner wrote:

I played also during the playtest where we were a handful of players. This is a very close experience to what we have now: it is hard to survive and build anything, but going in a straight line with a basket will probably allow you to find food and survive.

#18 2018-04-10 21:58:40

IronBear

Baker wrote:

Besides most cities already had stuff built anyway, now your people can do the exact same you've been doing for centuries but now indoors. PLus you've said it yourself, you only do "culture" when you have nothing else left to do, must have been pretty low on the priorities if it's the very last thing you'll do.

I do the culture stuff last not because it is boring or a low priority, but because once I start doing it, why would want to go back to pie making? The moment the settlement is is advanced enough that I can devote all my non eating activity to it, that is what I am going to do.  And the reason I don't start before then is because I would starve.

Your logic is faulty.  It is kind of like saying that a college education is a low priority because it is the last education you get, or that buying your house is a low priority because yo spend 5 years saving for it.  The reality is that what comes last was the bigger priority, but doing the prior activities we're necessary or make it easier.

Board footer