One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-22 21:52:15

Morti

Can we revitalize this place?

This is the game designer's site, for the game, including our discussions about it.
Not Discord's, not Twitter's, not Tik Tok's or Facebook's, this is Jason's site.

We should continue to get a steady trickle of people into the game and someday, perhaps many somedays, someone with a huge load of followers will stumble upon the game and give it a go. When that happens some of their audience will also give the game a go, and some of them will also find this place.

So how do we go about leaving something here for them to get a foothold, for them to see a trend and contribute to it? Like a beautiful city missing some of the best new ideas, where they can place those new ideas to be carried on by others that will also follow after them.

Complaints are only good when there are people to listen, people who will do something about it, and frankly, I think complaints are too easy. It's too easy to point out problems; to find things we don't agree with, as problems, and the attempts to solve such issues, as though they are problems that need solving, wind up spreading to areas they weren't intended and doing even more harm than good. They lead to greater security measures where they are harmful to the vitality of existing systems, they turn more and more people away.

I see this game as a game of contributions, many like it are; the civilization builders, the MMOs and the like. We, people, want to contribute to each other's well being. It's something in our nature that has lead to us being one, giant organism, the most successful ever to emerge from this planet so far. Yet some still take the predators path while many others resign to stagnation. But there are two groups that ultimately matter, those who carry on working, and those born into the community who wonder only what it's all about.

What are we to be about, to those a year, ten years, or even a hundred, into the future?

Maybe Jason's grandchildren keep this site going to honor his legacy. Maybe the grandchildren of humanity, 50 years from now, are still coming here to contribute new ideas and plans, out of tradition. Could it be like that? Will the world wide web still even be a thing, 50 years from now? 100? 1,000?

For now we still revisit sites like old megaliths and pyramids, making pilgrimages as it were, to places of our past. As though they are childhood neighborhoods of our hometowns, wondering, how everything worked out, how it came to be then, and for who it is coming to be, at that moment.

So for the new players a year from now, a day from now, what do we leave here?

Not this sort of message. This wreaks of decay and you know it. I know it. But I also know that in decay, there is still life, at work.

What nutrients can each of us leave behind for future seed to take root?

--

I ask this, mostly of those of you who have called this place a home for years now, but I leave it open to those of you who have arrived in the last year or so, as well as any of you to make your first posts in. With things like wikis and discords taking their role, what would you like to see here? Discussions about the meta not found on wiki? A place to tell stories too long winded for discord?

Let's be remembered for our contributions.

Be remembered. Tell a story. Share an idea.

Tell the wind you loved your mother,
your children,
your family,
your home
or the adventure, into the unknown.

#2 2021-02-25 00:15:32

SpiritBomb32

Re: Can we revitalize this place?

this shit is to damn sad man wtf

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#3 2021-03-01 01:53:45

GreatShawn

ඞ <- sus

#4 2021-03-02 02:25:50

schmloo

I’ve never been a huge fan of the forums, but it is a bit sad to see it become so dead. Someone should print every long argument ever made here, and see how thick the pages would be.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#5 2021-03-02 02:56:17

Booklat1

Sure

Can we make the game good again?

#6 2021-03-02 09:03:01

JonySky
Website

To get back to healthy forums, we first need to have a fun and healthy game that engages players ...
The game is dead, the forums too
Either a big change is made in OHOL or this game is not saved even with the sale of summer sale on Steam!

2021-03-02-09-58-49-One-Hour-One-Life-Steam-Charts.jpg

Last edited by JonySky (2021-03-02 09:18:59)

#7 2021-03-06 00:15:03

Morti

JonySky wrote:

To get back to healthy forums, we first need to have a fun and healthy game that engages players ...
Either a big change is made in OHOL or this game is not saved even with the sale of summer sale on Steam!

2021-03-02-09-58-49-One-Hour-One-Life-Steam-Charts.jpg

Does this list the people playing NOT using Steam to log in as well?
I'm not certain it does.
I know a lot of us, even some people who originally bought the game via Steam, have downloaded it from Jason's site after giving him the money or after getting it on Steam and asking him for downloadable, standalone, versions.
It does not surprise me that a large number of people revisit this game years later, to check in on it; it was a great game then, and it's still a great game to this day. For what it is, and what contributions it leads to there being in other games, as well as in the mindsets of those captivated by them, it's worth coming back to time and time again. The mechanics will always insure that there are forms of compassion playing a role, even if the main server were to get down to a couple people, those people will still be reminded of the importance of good parenting, as well as the value of consideration, compassion and cooperation.

#8 2021-03-06 00:42:13

TheRubyCart

Morti wrote:
JonySky wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/7Yg3Jkcx/2021-03-0 … Charts.jpg

I'm not certain it does.
I know a lot of us, even some people who originally bought the game via Steam, have downloaded it from Jason's site after giving him the money or after getting it on Steam and asking him for downloadable, standalone, versions.
It does not surprise me that a large number of people revisit this game years later, to check in on it; it was a great game then, and it's still a great game to this day. For what it is, and what contributions it leads to there being in other games, as well as in the mindsets of those captivated by them, it's worth coming back to time and time again. The mechanics will always insure that there are forms of compassion playing a role, even if the main server were to get down to a couple people, those people will still be reminded of the importance of good parenting, as well as the value of consideration, compassion and cooperation.

It's the steam charts, so I assume not, but, I assume most players use the steam version

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#9 2021-03-06 12:48:43

omlinson

JonySky wrote:

Agreed. I loved this game and it became stale and more restrictive as time went on.

I think the last real fun time I had was during the rift.

#10 2021-03-08 12:01:31

JonySky
Website

Morti wrote:
JonySky wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/7Yg3Jkcx/2021-03-0 … Charts.jpg

I'm not certain it does.

From Steamcharts you can check the players who have accessed from Steam https://steamcharts.com/app/595690

In http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report you can check the actual occupation of the servers

They are almost always the same numbers:

2021-03-08-12-49-14-One-Hour-One-Life-Steam-Charts.jpg
2021-03-08-12-49-31-onehouronelife-com-reflector-server-php-action-report.jpg

In the DiscardedSlinky post you can begin to reveal the problem ...
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … p?id=10485
OHOL needs a minimum of 12 players .... and needs to have all 4 active families. (3 players in each family)
When this gets out of balance ... the game falls like a house of cards
The lack of new content, the lack of new challenges, the repetitive and boring tasks, and the magical and absurd mechanics have killed the game.

Last edited by JonySky (2021-03-08 12:34:19)

#11 2021-03-08 12:34:06

JonySky
Website

Morti wrote:

those people will still be reminded of the importance of good parenting, as well as the value of consideration, compassion and cooperation.

Parenting is not learned in a game where dads do not exist

OHOL is just a game, which I have enjoyed a lot, but it has not evolved properly

Last edited by JonySky (2021-03-08 12:36:35)

#12 2021-03-21 23:16:48

SpiritBomb32

I do think that jason's lack of development direction and lack of consistent updates killed it (i know that burnout/personal issues come up), its a shame because ohol ha(s/d) so much potential. Maybe one day a big youtuber or streamer will revitalize it.

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

Board footer