One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-21 08:45:06

Morti

Hi

How have all of you been?

Had a fun night tonight, so far, and it's not quite over yet.
Demonicblack and I decided to twin on BS2 after he hadn't played there for 76 centuries, and I, like 17 millenia, and we both spawned as twin Eves. I, the usual Sol, and since he didn't name himself before he had a kid, I tried to name him Sol too, but the game gave him the name Sola.
We've had a good night so far and the Eve town we started has a little project in it that I've been working with on the custom servers for a month or so now. I call them windows, think Drive-thru windows, for the side walls of buildings. They work great to increase the storage of buildings by 10-20% or so, but more useful than that, they should cut down on the usage of doors and loss of 'heat' experienced when people come into buildings like the kitchens for food.

I'll try to explain with some pictures.

Here you have a typical 7x7 building, shelves across the top and bottom, walls along the sides.
fDr8BIn.png

Here is one with 8 windows all accessible by both inside and outside of the building.
Oxw2r3e.png

Here is one with 4 windows accessible by both inside and outside, as well as 4 corners that can be accessed by the outside.
erwprvD.png

The trick to making these is you must plaster the walls before the auto-align kicks in and makes these pieces either vertical walls or corner walls.

I find That to make them look better, using half adobe walls on the walls in between, fattens them out to corners (the diamond pattern) and it gives the side walls a more consistent thickness.

Once you have the side horizontal adobe walls, spaced apart and in place, you then plaster them and this keeps auto-align from pulling them into vertical positions. You can then finish the rest of the building and at any time in the process of making them, put shelves on them for storage. Slots can be added to the shelves at any time as well, even when the walls above and below are finished. The shelves can then be accessed from inside and outside of the building.

Why put shelves in the side walls?

To increase storage space on the screen and to preserver the indoor bonus people experience inside the building when all doors are closed. Let's take the kitchen for instance. Pies are made inside the building via deliveries of raw  ingredients, bringing them in, people are regularly passing through the doorways so often that a large portion of the time those inside experience no bonus. This can be mitigated by putting skinned rabbits in a slotted box available for the cook to grab, as well as a shelf or two for bowls of berries as well as a slotted box for carrots.

The reverse of this is also true, pies can be place in the windows and made available for people walking up to the building from the outside. With 8 slotted windows, 1 of each pie could have it's own box, at a bakery, for instance.

Nurseries and smiths could also benefit from these for several reasons each, but primarily as increased storage for the to tiles on screen. If you have a zoom mod this isn't such a big deal, but witht he default client, on screen real estate is precious.

#2 2021-02-21 19:23:44

Morti

Re: Hi

Here are some examples ingame.

Windowed Building 1
Built at Lizzeegames's place, this was the first proof of concept.
Check out that base sec/pip & indoor bonus.
087XM4n.png

Windowed Building 2
Built in Alice Town on the same server, this was a more useful implementation of the windows.
Mutton comes in the left, pies go out the right. This was built to feed people coming in at the airport to the east. There is also a rabbit farm to the north, where wild berries and a small carrot farm server to feed both the rabbits and the sheep as well as the people via BCR&M pies.
KBeS31C.png

Windowed Building 3
This was made for BabyKatiez. It is a multiroom structure where pies are made and stored to feed the player working in the adjacent room. In this case, the smithy. Boxes were placed in line with boxes serving as walls for the sheep pen, so that mutton could be conveniently moved by hand, from the pen to the kitchen.
7hmlFbD.png

Windowed Building 4
This is a diner made by MidnightAdrenaline. I was mostly hands off on this one, but through Midnight's work we learned a few lessons from this project.
74qNi4B.png

Windowed Building 5
This one is all Midnight's work.
RvZvWQK.png

Making these structures takes some planning and practice. Making them look good takes imagination and foresight. While I am concerned more about function than form, I think it's important to the players using them, that they be happy with the appearance. That said, I don't think Jason foresaw people using shelves this way, otherwise he would have designed them to look better when in place. Don't hold everything wrong with the game against him. We all have our parts to play, as well.

There are a lot of places and times where shelves like these would have really come in handy. A lot of resources would have been saved overtime by their use, especially where two adjacent rooms are connected by a highly trafficked door that when open, negates the indoor effect gained by making rooms of the appropriate sizes.

I know some of you don't care about whether a 'room' has an indoor bonus or not, but for those architects that do, you may appreciate this and see the utility of adding windows to your structures.

Thank you, for your time, and consideration.

#3 2021-02-21 23:36:22

Morti

Also, D3mon1cBlack, TrekkieA, MidnightAdrenaline and I figured out how to, potentially, get 9 wells in an 80x80 meter area with the main town well at the center.

kIaS114.png

VgWHWmT.png

bmqKjKi.png

U6LZp8Z.png

Check this link for brief explanation:
https://www.twitch.tv/abitoftheuniverse … YDB00ant-O

And here is a link to the full stream, while it lasts. The part where I explain to Lizz how the well collapse mechanic can be exploited.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/918474057?t=09h26m42s

And https://www.twitch.tv/videos/918474057?t=05h18m15s for when it dawned on me.

Thanks also, to the support by lizzeegames, Alice, Blahwizard, Babykatiez, Kilian and everyone else that has been playing on the other servers over the last few months.

#4 2021-02-21 23:55:54

The_Anabaptist

Nice to see a thought out and useful forum thread.  *claps*

The_Anabaptist

#5 2021-02-22 02:26:27

Morti

The_Anabaptist wrote:

Nice to see a thought out and useful forum thread.  *claps*

The_Anabaptist

OXmzZbW.gif