One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-10 02:51:54

Uncreative Guy

It's been exactly 1 year since I bought One Hour One Life!

It's been... quite an interesting year to say the least!  To celebrate my first anniversary with this game, here is a top 5 list of the best and worst content and mechanics added in the past 365 days!

BEST:
1. Sprinkler + Plow - An amazing new meta that takes us into the industrial revolution, and is a great idea for conserving water!  They completely changed town dynamics in a good way!  The only problem with them is that the vanilla screen is way too small compared to sprinkler pipes and plow lines, so vanilla players almost never use them, because they can't see them.

2. Paver - A useful addition that brings us one step closer to the possible future of the trailer!  Paved roads make the world look and feel more developed, like we are getting closer to the future!

3. Cravings - They actually make all of the different foods useful in a fun kind of way!

4. Delivery Truck - It's so nice to be able to haul a lot of things and go at high speeds.  Definitely a needed addition, now that there is an oil and engine dependency.

5. Cucumbers - Not very exciting themselves, but more edible crops are always fun!  Plus it's another skewer crop, so tomatoes aren't alone anymore.  Even though their only craftable use is pickles, making a batch uses 12, so they don't take up too much space.

WORST:
1.  Homezone - Biggest blow to the freedom we used to have ingame.  Multiracial towns were so much fun, and they actually made the race biomes update work because everyone played their part to better the town, with their own abilities.

2. Iron only being in mines - Making iron limited at the cost of food and other resources, made things more systematic and less free or fun.

3. Scrapping Engines - Just why?  This has no reasonable purpose.  Never have I been in a town where there's no iron, but too many engines.  I have however been in a town that badly needs an engine to survive, but all 3 that took 30 minutes each to make, were scrapped in 30 seconds each.

4. Dill - It has one use, pickles, which only uses 1 per batch.  Practically useless.  Just clogs up towns with seeds.

5. Garlic - Only 2 uses, and only stacks in piles of 5.  Also the wild version is edible, while the domestic is not, tricking people into planting the very rare wild garlic, which is also a common craving, and realizing they can't do anything with the useless bulbs.

I’m not creative enough to make a creative signature which explains my noncreative nickname of Uncreative Guy.

#2 2021-02-10 07:28:07

Dodge

Re: It's been exactly 1 year since I bought One Hour One Life!

The issue with the zoom mod is that it gives you a "god-like" point of view that really disconnects you from the character you play, i already tried the zoom multiple times and it felt like playing some RTS strategy game where you control multiple units instead of the action being centered on a single character.

It really breaks the connection you have to your character and makes the experience less immersive, like your controlling the whole village and all it's inhabitants instead of only the character you play.

I suggested some way to be able to see further in front of you without moving, like in hotline miami where you press some key shift i think and move the mouse in the direction where you want to see and it makes you see further without having to move there, but the suggestion got rejected...

#3 2021-02-11 00:22:08

prier

Re: It's been exactly 1 year since I bought One Hour One Life!

I've been playing just about as long as you have, 11 months and nearly 900 hours.

My favourite updates in that time in no particular order.

Family Mine -  I don't mean to be devils advocate, I know this is an incredibly contentious issue. Having only just started the game when this update came out, I don't think it affected me as much as it did others. I liked that families had to trade and work together. It was a little broken until the Family bands update which I think fixed any issues this update had. I like the updates that add content but the updates that change the mechanics are probably more exciting for me as the obscure mechanics of this game is what kept me coming back.

Homeland Biome Bands - Love this update for the reasons stated above.

Legacy Chain - Finally no more /die to continue working on your eve town, You can still chase that meme score whilst be a productive member of a family.

Crave Spice - I learnt to yum pretty early on and this update made it even more fun. I agree that making all food useful was brilliant as I love to cook.

Pickles - One of the first things I became competent at early was cooking. I had learnt to make every food item and the pickle update was super exciting. Not just a new recipe but a whole bunch of new plants too.

Trucking - I've only made a few trucks, and never the engines for them, but I love how OP they are if you can convince your leader to let you use one.

Special mention goes too

Green Revolution - The first few weeks afterthis update came out it really did feel like a revolution. Towns completely changed. The difference between an early game town and a late game one was staggering. It's a shame it never really took off and mostly these days sprinkers are left in towns as unfinished projects.

As far as worst updates. well I can't really think of any. I've loved every chage to the game so far. I can see how certain updates can hinder new players but for experienced ones its not hard to keep on top of new mechanics.

Board footer