One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-16 03:32:08

JackTreehorn

Currency & Roleplay Shops

Currency is an idea which is unlikely to ever happen outside just roleplay.
However I thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss as there is not much being discussed on the forum recently.

If we had more people playing through all hours 100 -150+, I could imagine the use of currency.
Roleplay shops only work with 55+ players on the server from my experience.
I've been thinking what item we would use as this currency and doing some roleplay testing. (I opened a taco shop in one of our major towns)

I've roleplayed with decks of cards as a currency a couple of times before.
One of which is in a Twisted video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UdlWCF … BunnyGames
Decks are great because they are easily held and stackable and compact but it's easy for other people to make them and ruin the currency.

In my opinion malachite would be the best currency, It is easily found and can be turned into copper bars.
Gold could be a higher value currency as it is much rarer.

I was roleplay testing the idea a couple of days ago, I was trading one malachite for a pork/bean taco or a burrito.
I had many customers to my shop and by the end of my life I had employed a young man to carry on the business.
I came back in my next life to work for that man and ended up inheriting the business from him again.

Over those two lives I earned roughly 30 malachite each one represented a sale.
I was happy with what I had achieved and was happy that I could do something a bit different for the town to experience.
The townsfolk seemed to enjoy it, there were women naming there children after my delicious tacos.

I had a couple more lives in that town but it was mainly making the malachite into copper bars and giving people a tour of what I had built "My taco shop."

Last edited by JackTreehorn (2021-01-16 03:51:15)

Eve Audette

#2 2021-01-16 03:42:06

JackTreehorn

Re: Currency & Roleplay Shops

Best way to set up a roleplay business.

Choose a high end product not many people know how to make or the town is lacking.
Make a secured area to trade out of, Ideally a pine house or something.
Use tables or possibly a box as a trading counter. make sure the trading counter goes North/South so they can see behind the counter.
Run around the main area and tell people the shop is open, Kids and their mothers always want to visit before they get stuck into their life's project.
Or get the leader to put out an order advertising your shop.
Have fun.

I sometimes secure my shops with two doors one for the customers and one which I lock while I'm using the shop.
Once I'm finished with it I use a file on the key and then remove the lock and hide it for the next time I'm there.

Trading shops use to be good too, they need more space and I haven't done one recently so I'm not sure how well it would go.
A tool shop would be an interesting idea.

Last edited by JackTreehorn (2021-01-16 04:07:41)

Eve Audette

#3 2021-01-16 03:45:13

DestinyCall

To make your shop more classy and drum up extra business, make a shop sign.

#4 2021-01-16 06:33:27

antking:]#

Personally I would love if we got currency but not the type based on physical coins, but paper currency, for two reasons

Firstly using materials such as gold or copper makes it harder for people trying to accomplish personal projects with them

Secondly using paper money allows for easer and less costly production (time and resources wise)

I imagen Paper money working sort of like cards, where you shear the paper to get a blank stack of cards, but instead of dying it instantly blue you would first dip the stack into Dye Mordant, giving you : stack of White Cash this stack then can be dyed in the usual fashion, giving us currency colors of : 
White, Red, Blue, Black, Yellow, & Green

These Different cards will face horizontally, and won't have any other markings besides their color the Idea being that the village decides how much each slip is worth  (but I can see a few ways of implementing stamping and showing a visual indicator of value)

And to end it all off a new type of storage needs to be introduced: wallets, handbags, & vaults  These Items have the solo purpose of storing money (like the lab table) and will be able to hold a lot of it. This is to make money easy to handle instead of having to carry around a basket with three bucks, you can have a handbag holding 30 types of paper money, and stores could have vaults to store large amounts of money.
(and for privacy you could add a lock and key to the vault Just in Case)

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#5 2021-01-16 07:26:12

JackTreehorn

Writing signs takes some time but I will consider it next shop I build.
I always have side jobs while running my business like expanding by building new rooms for a forge or copper storage.
The sign will be a good side project for me, thanks for the idea.

Paper money sounds really cool.
It would work well for me if it had some difficultly hurdles most people couldn't be bothered doing, for instance needing Alum or the colour green perhaps the stamping process could be tricky.
Perhaps making the money use up the alum water and then uses up the dye so you could only make one stack at a time.

Last edited by JackTreehorn (2021-01-16 07:26:44)

Eve Audette

#6 2021-02-08 05:56:51

JackTreehorn

I had my first life in a couple of weeks last night and I saw a couple of things which impressed me. I'm going to have a little rant now.

First was I noticed that towns were building streets around their buildings and growing trees on the side. They look so good and work great for town planning.
Second was a Dye Shop, an interesting concept. It was well made with a sign out front and plenty of room inside, I just wish I was there when it was in action.
Third was I noticed some papers with five and ten dollars written on them, It seems like people have been experimenting with currency which is good to see.

I had a thought what if decks of cards used black dye and elder quill in the construction rather than pencil. It would be harder to replicate and would aid in it's adoption as a currency.
Decks have so much going for them for use as a basic currency, They are stackable, containable in pockets, you get 52 in a deck. The only flaw is people can make other decks quite easily.

In reference to town planning my one pet peeve is towns which have the same layout, Every crop around the well with pine flooring making 3x3 squares. We don't need to do that anymore.
I know it's easy to use but it begins to ware on me when I see the same layout in every town. We can have the well separate, We don't need to plant every crop in the same place, we don't need to do 3x3 every time. Towns would look so much cooler if the carrots and berries were outside the sheep pen. Corn outside the cow pen. Small houses with crops in the yard. People can have monopolies on crops which will help with trade, and if you really need a lot of them grow a patch yourself.

Much of the enjoyment I get out of lives these days is trying to get some trade going on. I'm going to write a short list of cool things you could build in town and RP.
Taco Shop - Fish and Chip Shop - Tool Shop - Radio News room - Library - Orphanage - Soup Kitchen - Dairy and Ice-cream Shop - Clothing Store - BB Snack Pack Shop
Tattoo Shop - Bakery Shop - Feast restaurant - Builders Guild (Stockpile construction materials) - Radio makers Guild - Horse rentals/Stables
Grave Keeper offering personalised notes for the burials - Yum/Wild food shop - Seafood Shop - Poultry seller (Cooked Geese, Omelette's) - Puppy and puppy food seller.

Keep in mind you need enough interaction with the public to make these shops worthwhile. Seafood shop might be boring because few people go looking for seafood.
You can just hang around the shop doing stuff until someone goes looking for your goods. Advertise your shop, tell people about it, ask the leader to send out an order informing the townsfolk.
You also want to place your shop in an area with a lot of foot traffic which may be hard to find in some towns.

Last edited by JackTreehorn (2021-02-08 07:11:15)

Eve Audette

#7 2021-02-08 12:46:22

JonySky
Website

Trade cannot work in a world where everything is thrown on the ground within everyone's reach.
Remember that we are surrounded by "ghost" cities full of resources of all kinds and objects of all races in the game

There is also no solid reason to trade in the game.
Also trading with your same family is contrary to the game itself

If your goal is to keep the family alive as long as possible, you will work for the common good of the family ...
Will you sell a cake to your mother, your brothers or your uncle if they are starving?

Trading attempts are just role-playing games by some players

I advise you to try to create and sell wine with other families, here you will see the great obstacles that OHOL has with trade

You speak of creating signs, shops, paper, letters, storage of coins, etc ... to be able to carry out trade
When you have everything ready, your city will be dead or a weekly update will have deleted all your work

I tell him that to do all this, you need to have many experienced players who when they finish their tasks, perform the role-playing game of salesman, for several lives

of course you should try to convince your children or relatives to continue selling after your death and to continue the family business

and you should also consider that you must spend 50 minutes inside a store waiting for someone to come to buy an item that you do not need (because everything is lying on the floor)

I wish you luck!

Last edited by JonySky (2021-02-08 12:59:29)

#8 2021-02-11 00:32:04

prier

I like your attitude Jack Thanks for this thread. I love making dining areas outside of the kitchen. I fill tables with yum foods, things that you wouldnd ordinarily find in the kitchen. I've played in towns where people have setup yum shops, I'll have a crack at making something like this the next time I play. I think Wine Bars are really fun too.

I'm not sure how to incorporate currency, but I'll give it a try. Maybe it just needs to be more common.

I'll never forget the life where I was leader and a sweet old lady had spent her life making a wine bar. She had loads of wine, snacks, a bar, the works. She just wanted to show me her work before she died but instead I announced to the town of its existance. Half the town ended up in there sharing a story and having a drink and a snack. A cheeky kiddo snuck in wearing a ghost costume and necked a bunch of glasses before anyone figured it out. She had a massive grin on her face, and was so stoked the town got to enjoy her work.

Nothing is more fun in this game for me than competent players working hard and roleplaying simultaneously.

Last edited by prier (2021-02-11 00:33:22)

Board footer