One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-05 03:17:07

Bakafeck

User Story: Ch.2: Maple Full - Graveyard Girl

In my second life, I was born to a black woman named Bali, of the Full family. Many were naked and some wore masks. My mother set me down by my sister, Millie, and started to tell us about the world. Their primary jobs were cooking and farming, which she asked us to choose. I chose farming, and Millie chose cooking.

Millie asked if we were girls or boys, and our mother told us we were girls. We both groaned, and she laughed, then asked us if there was anything wrong with being a girl. I forced a chuckle as I said “I hate babies”, but never told her about the children that died in my arms. That was last life. Even if I could not forget, I should not bring that here.

While I was a child, the fire went out, and the adults began to argue. “Who let it go out?” “Where was the materials?” “There’s wood everywhere, why didn’t you use it?” I wanted so badly to be useful, so I grabbed a basket and went out into the wilderness. I should have died. It was a stupid idea… yet, I found a tree, from which I pulled kindling for a fire. I filled the basket and returned home as fast as I could, and gave them the basket. Eventually there was another fire, and everyone was warm once again. Mother seemed to watch over Millie more, maybe because of my tinder stunt. Perhaps they mistook me for capable.

I strayed away from others and spent my time in the field. I had a child in that field, and despite my care for it, it died... but this time, I learned about something new. I was told that, sometimes, babies just die. They didn’t want to be where they were, and gave up. When my next one died hastily, I chalked it up to that sudden infant death, then kept working the fields.

I did a lot of field work alone… until I met a girl with a basket. Inside the basket was a body. She looked to me, tears in her eyes, and asked if I would help her bury her mother.

I thought nothing of that before. Who buried my body when I died last time? How do I bury this body now? I told the girl I didn’t know, but that we should probably find a shovel. We searched, and eventually, we found a shovel and she buried her mother.

I don’t know why that was so amazing to me. Suddenly farming seemed to mean so little. I asked the girl if she’d like me to bury her, and she said sure, but that she still had a lot of life to her. I laughed, and wished her well.

I began to collect bodies and bring them to the graveyard south of the farm. Should I have ditched the farm life so abruptly? Probably not, but I felt like I had more purpose in the field of the dead as a gravekeeper. Anyone else could pick up farming.

Then, I had my third and final baby. A boy who I named Frank. I fully expected this child to die as well, but… he didn’t. He even started walking around. I took off my shirt and gave it to him, and he took to the world like it was his to own. I finally contributed someone to the world, someone who wanted to be there.

I returned to the graves, proud of my accomplishment. I eventually found my mother and buried her, too. Then, I met that girl again. She and I, we just kept meeting each other… and oh, had we aged! She said it would be amazing if she could have a dew berry pie for her last meal, so we went to the kitchen. I found a berry pie, and asked her “Berry pie, or berry dew pie?”. She told me “berry pie”, and I gave it to her. I thought about the idea of a last meal, but decided against it. I had the farm to sustain me and the graveyard to tend to, and I still had time left. I ran as fast as my old legs would take me, and buried bodies. My life finally slipped from me as I was carrying the dead, only metres from the graveyard.

---
Previous Life: Ashe Atlas - First Life, First Fails, First Friend: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … p?id=10417
Next Life: Bitha Full - The Life of a Mother: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … p?id=10419

Last edited by Bakafeck (2021-01-05 05:00:33)

Board footer