One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-30 23:56:39

Spoonwood

Lack of Teamwork and Mothers "Doing It All Their Selves"

The motherhood system in this game is over powered.

The sense of teamwork is poor, because the foundations of the multiplayer game don't require teamwork at all, or so little teamwork that it seems unreasonable to think of such as teamwork.  Basically, having a baby requires so little, that they can become valueless for some, among other reasons.

Mothers "do it all their selves", because of the motherhood system.

/die might be so prevalent, because there's no way of appreciating that others had to work as a team for your character to exist, since two players couldn't work as a team.

For more, read here: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/742

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-30 23:59:24)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-12-31 00:20:41

DestinyCall

Re: Lack of Teamwork and Mothers "Doing It All Their Selves"

So your solution is ... fatherhood?

#3 2020-12-31 00:40:02

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

So your solution is ... fatherhood?

No.

It's a system with motherhood and fatherhood *or* two mothers *or* two fathers.

There wouldn't exist a need to worry about not having a particular sex with a system that worked with two mothers or two fathers in addition to having motherhood and fatherhood.

Danish Clinch.

#4 2020-12-31 01:48:49

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

/die might be so prevalent, because there's no way of appreciating that others had to work as a team for your character to exist, since two players couldn't work as a team.

This argument is based on faulty reasoning.   I don't believe that making fertility more labor intensive would reduce the occurrence of /die babies.

#5 2020-12-31 06:16:51

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

This argument is based on faulty reasoning.   I don't believe that making fertility more labor intensive would reduce the occurrence of /die babies.

/die as it stands might occur so much, because it's believed to only affect one person.  If people thought using it would affect two people instead, there might exist more consideration of using it.

Danish Clinch.

#6 2020-12-31 07:47:19

Dodge

You think a player that use /die gives a shit about that...

Players need to spawn in the world as soon as they login no waiting period.

So every system that requires something to happen for a baby to get born is just plain bad

Also major point, Jason already said he doesn't want to make the game about relationships/sex etc so needing to do that as a major part of the game is not gonna happen and most players probably wouldn't want to do it.

Also everyone from the same village is in the same family so needing couples would be WEIRD and feeding on a man's breast DOUBLE WEIRD

Please stop flooding the github even though i'm pretty sure Jason is ghosting you at this point...

#7 2020-12-31 08:26:51

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

/die as it stands might occur so much, because it's believed to only affect one person.  If people thought using it would affect two people instead, there might exist more consideration of using it.

The reasons why players choose to /die would still exist in the game, whether it affects one person or ten people.   And if all babies are born by two people working together, does it matter if you are born to the first randomly assigned couple or the second one .. or the third or the fourth or the fifth?    All of those couples are putting in the same effort to procreate.   They have all worked as a "team" to make it possible for you to be born to them and deserve to be rewarded with children.    Your decision to /die means at least one couple doesn't have a baby .. but another couple does have a baby.     And the game will just give another baby to the childless couples eventually.   So have they really lost anything if you didn't want to be born into their family anyways?

This change would not reduce /die babies, Spoonwood.   The people who care enough to not /die because it might hurt someone else's feelings or cheapen their sense of connection to their parent(s) aren't going to hurt even one person's feelings, because one person is enough.  Doubling the stakes isn't necessary for them.   The rest of the playerbase isn't going to be phased by a cosmetic change to the spawn mechanics.

#8 2020-12-31 09:08:00

Berry High Priest

Thats why whenever I get leader, I force mothers to abandon their children in the nursery with one designated nurse. This way the lazy MOMMERS can get back to the hard work they take pride and joy in. We have to abolish the conservative system of child upbringing with the communal solution. Also whenever i catch a mommy doing lovey dovey stuff in the nursery she gets exiled and executed. Even did it to my own mom once.
Communal is the solution and we need to force everyone to do it!

Kind regards,
Your friendly gooseberry gentleman neighbor.

#9 2020-12-31 16:57:40

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Players need to spawn in the world as soon as they login no waiting period.

A few days before I had written this post, I had read this on the github suggestions: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … rievances/

In particular it says:

"I would rather spend ten minutes in a queue than annoying people for five seconds before /die-ing."

Edit: Also, if you had followed the link in the original post, you might have read this:

"It is also too easy to start as an infant of a human player or too difficult to start as a male or female who can feed their own self."

Dodge wrote:

Also major point, Jason already said he doesn't want to make the game about relationships/sex etc so needing to do that as a major part of the game is not gonna happen and most players probably wouldn't want to do it.

There's never been any surveys of players on this, nor any general queries.  Merely an assumption that players wouldn't want to do such.  If players wouldn't choose to become fertile or try to do, then why aren't the vast majority of experiences players leaving their biome bands permanently and playing in another town?

Dodge wrote:

Also everyone from the same village is in the same family so needing couples would be WEIRD and feeding on a man's breast DOUBLE WEIRD

When did you last play Dodge?  Outsiders do sometimes travel to other towns and stay there.  I've seen that happen, and traveled to other towns and stayed there also.

I nowhere said nor implied that breastfeeding should exist for male characters.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-31 17:16:36)

Danish Clinch.

#10 2020-12-31 18:55:21

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

I would definitly not want to spend 10 minutes in queue just to avoid a /die baby and you can ask people here and i'm pretty sure most of them would say the same

I did follow your link stop posting sugestions in the github they are made for bugfix it's fine if you do it once or twice but you are spamming that shit.

You cant compare players leaving their biome to them being forced to engage in some weird couple roleplay in order to have a baby, you dont have to make a survey to know that a fair part of them if not a big majority would not want to do that.

It doesn't matter if outsiders leave their town if you are out of your homeland you cant make babies which means babies would be from two parents of the same family...

And even if homeland is removed, just no.

"I nowhere said nor implied that breastfeeding should exist for male characters."

"It's a system with motherhood and fatherhood *or* two mothers *or* two fathers."

#11 2020-12-31 21:44:18

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

I did follow your link stop posting sugestions in the github they are made for bugfix it's fine if you do it once or twice but you are spamming that shit.

Lack of team effort in the game is a bug, isn't it?  The source of that bug lies in that the mother hood system requires too little teamwork and encourages mothers to do it all themselves.  No, that's not quite right.  The mother hood system *prohibits* team effort among players in having children, and the baby barely can even get said to cooperate with the mother.  And there's ever so little motivation for male characters to help, as they never had any input on their nieces or nephews even being around.  It's completely an individual decision to have a child instead of needing two players (for those who know about homebands).  Since the foundations of the multplayer game don't fit with team effort based on players actions, why would team efforts ever arise? 

Dodge wrote:

You cant compare players leaving their biome to them being forced to engage in some weird couple roleplay in order to have a baby, you dont have to make a survey to know that a fair part of them if not a big majority would not want to do that.

Players wouldn't die their selves by choosing not to undergo some fertility procedure.  So, how would players get forced to engage in such a procedure? 

It only holds that a family might not exist in the future.  But, that is a not a form of death, but rather a social structure no longer continuing to exist.  Do you understand the difference here?  A person dies.  But, a social structure merely ends.  A person no longer experiences life.  A social structure gets replaced or dissolves.  A social structure isn't something that ever lived.  It had no experiences.  People live, have experiences, and die.

Your statement about how many players would feel that way varies from a small percentage to a large percentage and thus reveals how little you know.

Dodge wrote:

"I nowhere said nor implied that breastfeeding should exist for male characters."

"It's a system with motherhood and fatherhood *or* two mothers *or* two fathers."

That doesn't say or imply that "breastfeeding" should exist for male characters.  The idea was that a father could be a spawn point, not their abilities to feed players would change.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2021-01-02 07:20:40

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

It doesn't matter if outsiders leave their town if you are out of your homeland you cant make babies which means babies would be from two parents of the same family

Two families of the same race currently are fertile in the same area.  I specifically remember Mango bringing her child as a Love to Robinsons' town, and both families were Ginger.  Your conclusion doesn't follow, because you didn't consider two families of the same race being fertile in the same area.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer