One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-25 17:19:25

Spoonwood

Gene Score Advice: The Rodak-Blatnik Method

If playing as female, go to your biome band border.  Have one child.  Go to a town outside of your biome band borders (maybe whites so you can talk to someone if they threaten you... maybe not though).  Raise your child there.  If your child dies, go back to your biome band border and see if you have another child.  If you know or can estimate the generation number of other families relative to your own, you might also move east or west.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-12-26 01:09:58

Rookwood

Re: Gene Score Advice: The Rodak-Blatnik Method

There's more to it than that, Spoon.

First you need a mod that tells you family player counts.  You want to play when player count is the lowest, this is usually early morning US Eastern time.  This decreases the chances of having random players as relatives. 

Get born on your gene score farming account and do like you said.  Run out of your band to get homesick.  Now get your main account ready.  The one you play all the time and is in the low 40s score because gene score.

Dip back into your homeland on the score account then immediately spawn on your main account.  If you're lucky, your main account will spawn to your score account.  Congratulations, you just got guaranteed score for two lives.  If not, then SIDs on your main account and get out of the band on your score account ASAP.  Rinse and repeat until you make it happen.  Once you get your main account as your child, you will keep it out of the band for its entire life so you have no more children and both accounts can live to 60. 

Now, sometimes it doesn't work out and you have unaccounted for relatives... what do?  Well your score account is always leader... you can just kill them...  So kill any fertile females you don't have control over.  Careful though, that's a good way to get cursed. smile

Since you did this at low population numbers, your accounts may be the last fertiles for the family too and your tactics may end up killing the family from lack of babies.   Doesn't matter.  You're not a griefer, you're the #1 score in the game.

Last edited by Rookwood (2020-12-26 01:14:21)

#3 2020-12-26 02:15:26

Spoonwood

Thanks for the information Rookwood.

Are you sure that Jessenia Rodak and Enric Blatnik are the same person who plays two account simultaneously getting them both to live to 60?

Rookwood wrote:

Now, sometimes it doesn't work out and you have unaccounted for relatives... what do?  Well your score account is always leader... you can just kill them...  So kill any fertile females you don't have control over.  Careful though, that's a good way to get cursed.

I don't follow this.  If Jessenia Rodak has her relative killed, doesn't Jessenia get penalized for the death?

Rookwood wrote:

Since you did this at low population numbers, your accounts may be the last fertiles for the family too and your tactics may end up killing the family from lack of babies.   Doesn't matter.  You're not a griefer, you're the #1 score in the game.

Yea, family survival game that sure isn't.  It's also not motivating a multiplayer survival game with random people in such a case, even if Jessenia plays for the survival of players in other families in those lives in some way, that behavior doesn't seem motivated by gene score.

Don't get me wrong here.  I wouldn't say that someone who ran out of town to avoid having children is a griefer even if that resulted in the end of a lineage.  I don't think there should be a responsibility to have a child in the game, since it's a survival game first and a parenting game second *and* since men can't have children *and* because sometimes females just don't have any children *or* don't have any children that try to live to 3.  But, a scoring system preferably wouldn't motivate players to just not have children in general.

Danish Clinch.

#4 2020-12-26 05:43:08

Spoonwood

cordy wrote:

- It is not hard to do. They just stand outside of the band (when female) and fake afk eating yum.

Have you seen them outside of the band doing this?

cordy wrote:

- I doubt any family member/friend would do this for you for SEVERAL months, mostly everyday (Rodak plays one life a day, around 5-6 times a week) (except during times of steam sale). Just stand somewhere and fake afk for several months? Nah.

That's a good point.  One of them could get controlled by a program though, or at some times.  But, I think one person using two accounts is the most likely case now.

Gene score motivating killing when the player isn't out to kill other people and motivating just letting a town die both sound like serious flaws to me.

Without the killing and just taking a random player it still might have potential.  I did it as a Thissel this past evening with Rhema Kira on her third life as my daughter.  I was white and picked to go to gingers and ended up with like a 2.6k hike and Rhema came with me for like 2k of that.  She said she got some text, and died to a wolf after I died, after being gone for a few minutes (was trying to feed her in Ginger town).  She lived 5.7 years on her first life, then 25.599 years, then 48 years as my daughter, then on her next life in the same white family she lived 7.3 years, then 18.676 years.  http://onehouronelife.com/fitnessServer … l&id=57041  I had a life before that where I ended up with Kilian as my child and we went to blacks as brown, he made a bunch of compost and I got them latex, palm oil, and other things like rope. 

At the very least, if one's gene score is high, the penalty is likely lower with this method.

I could understand gene score having 4 or even 6 children instead of 12, since too many people means more mouths to feed, clutter, and other issues.  But, motivating one child instead of 2 or 3 or 4 really seems off, especially for experienced players.

Danish Clinch.

#5 2020-12-27 14:07:05

ollj

i tried this, most of the time.

it is just a waste of time, because most players are either
- to dumb to fend for themself, they die faster.
- too lazy to not be born in the largest city, often cannot blame them
- annoying enough to keep asking the same dumb question, it starts with "where...", and i never bother to wait for the second word.

even when it works, it just ends up in a 5 generation long colony, that has null motivation or skill (both) to live in an older city, full of everything.
they even keep the only fire getting out, multiple times. i keep seeing this crap.

#6 2020-12-27 14:10:45

ollj

i got my memerscore to 50-60, ranked #100, by never sIDing, and just never having babies (always stayed outside home biome, building roads not at home, while fertile, and at home, while infertile)
this biome + town hopping also gets you high yum easily, you only get mildly punished for dumb siblings, while almost always living SAFELY and productively to age 60.

most recent week i gave pavers a try, not building tiled roads, memerscore suffers in all the ways, because people are dumb, suicidally dumb.

Board footer