One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-23 15:14:16

Berry High Priest

You have been building towns the wrong for a long time!

So recently i was in a bear griefer attack wish shook me to the core.
It was in a well established medium tech town with plenty of bows to defend it.
Yet the town died in the bear attack due to mismanadgement maybe?
Now the town layout was a top row made out of a nursery a bakery and an outside smith.
The pens for the animals were left and right and it had plenty of roads leading in and out of the town.
The central farm layout was also just the regular stuff with plenty of full cisterns.
Now yet the town succombed to a bear attack and no one went in to the pens for safety.

Now the bear attacks were possible because there was plenty of open space to enter and leave the town.
In a good town the central farmland would be surrounded by buildings creating some kind of safety wall.
Ofcourse it will be a hasstle to get it and you cant create the housing before the farm is fully loaded out.
The farm layout should also be made out of 4x4 plots rather then 3x3 to optimise food consumption.
Now the housing wall should be made out of big spaces for essential stuff and smaller spaces for more non essential stuff.
Buildings im thinking about it are a winery, a carpenter a grainery. Those places should be sufficient with a 3 with space. The doors leading to the out and inside should be spring doors but the doors between the buildings should be non spring door. Just to make sure in case of a bear attack that they can be closed.

Buildings outside of town should be a woodfarm and a charcoal factory. I have seen a good design with railroads a while back where 8 ovens are placed in a star shape. This would optimise the charcoal production since this has to be placed next to a wood farm and the smith inside the town configuration.
Also avoid linear structuring. So dont place doors in a line formation but more zigzag. If they have springs you shouldnt be worried about them and if they are inside they can remain open.

I already hear the complaints that this method is overcomplicated for some simple grief that happens once a week but like this grief destroys towns and puts the server back a week of work. This could make a change between getting oil or draining swamps 500 tiles away because ur town of 30 people is dry.

Kind regards,
Your friendly gooseberry gentleman neighbor.

#2 2020-12-23 16:10:58

Morti

Re: You have been building towns the wrong for a long time!

Berry High Priest wrote:

4x4 plots rather then 3x3

Blasphemy!

#3 2020-12-23 16:36:50

Berry High Priest

Morti wrote:
Berry High Priest wrote:

4x4 plots rather then 3x3

Blasphemy!

I just added this to trigger people lol, 3x3 is the correct way because baskets hold 3 dirt and buckets hold 9 water.
Or maybe long plots would also be nice to see

Kind regards,

#4 2020-12-23 18:28:00

Spoonwood

Berry High Priest wrote:

In a good town the central farmland would be surrounded by buildings creating some kind of safety wall.

Suppose someone opens the door and a bear gets into the building.  Then the bear will likely stay inside.  Therefore, buildings are not some sort of safety wall against bears.  Bears also chase players, so as soon as the door gets opened and someone is inside of the buildings, the bear will come inside of it.  See how buildings aren't a safety wall against bears?

Property fences with a gate have a similar issue, even if there were time to surround a town with them, which there won't be were the server filled with players, especially early on.

4x4 isn't as good as 3x3, since 3x3 leads to more types of crops before another one gets planted *and* organized.  A farmer that has peppers and tomatoes making a 3x3 plot will take less time to start it and then to use pine floors around it than for a 4x4 plot.  2x2 might actually be better efficiency wise, or 2x3, though both might have an issue with flooring to plot ratio being too high.  1x1 would a too high flooring to plot ratio to qualify as efficient.

Big buildings don't give a temperature bonus.  They are counterproductive in terms of survival prospects.

I played in a black town earlier today that had maybe a dozen bears attack it.  It was just on a deep well when I died.  There wasn't time to get buildings up, nor a fence type structure.  There would be even less feasibility of getting buildings up if the town had maximum server population and more new players, but as I recall there were only 10 if that, unknowns at the time, suggesting fewer first time players than had the server been full with players.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2020-12-24 01:37:08

QuirkySmirkyIan

pubic hair flooring was the worst update to come out of this game worse than biome restrictions, meme score, tool slots, and the rift combined.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#6 2020-12-24 04:00:02

WumboJumbo

You are holding it wrong

#7 2020-12-24 12:15:39

StrongForce

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

pubic hair flooring was the worst update to come out of this game worse than biome restrictions, meme score, tool slots, and the rift combined.

Sure pine floors could use a reskin
But imo pine houses are the best.
Super easy to build, dont decay, absolutly renewable.

Wooden planks have too many good uses to waste them on floors!

Baby dance!!

#8 2020-12-25 11:11:36

Berry High Priest

StrongForce wrote:
QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

Sure pine floors could use a reskin
But imo pine houses are the best.
Super easy to build, dont decay, absolutly renewable.

Wooden planks have too many good uses to waste them on floors!

The pine needles always get stuck in my puspus and it itches

Kind regards,

Board footer