One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-12-26 00:33:05

Spoonwood

Re: Buildings Are Ornamental But Not Useful

Kinrany wrote:

My response was to kinrany who said entertainment is useful and practical. Sure its fun, and it IS a game, but the point of this thread was to talk about whats efficient and whats not surrounding building. Entertainment isnt efficient or even an asset in terms of survival. Its often wasteful and distracting, used to get you killed a lot in game. Though personally i think it adds some much needed character.

My point was that IRL entertainment is not an exception: everything people do, they do for a reason. So I disagree that rooms don't need to be practical.

People don't watch football games, whatever definition of "football" you want to use, for reasons of survival.  *With respect to survival*, people don't watch football for practical reasons, since watching football is not practical to living one's life.  Yes, they do such for a "reason", meaning that they want to satisfy some psychological need, and thus there exists a motivation for doing so.  But, such a motivation is personal, not some objective reason that they watch football, because they will die if they don't see their team play another.  Objective reason getting confused with personal motivation isn't a good idea.  I would guess that this was in part why Aristotle talked about different types of "causes" a while back.

Yea, yea, some football fan might say that they "need" to watch their team, but even people who say that probably mean that as a joke, or as a way to signal that their status as a fanatic or how much they appreciate such games.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#27 2020-12-30 01:20:41

Melonaise

I supposes we could just have storage boxes on the ground instead of on walls -- takes up the same amount of room, uses less resources, still blocks passage.

#28 2020-12-30 04:45:17

Eve Troll

Melonaise wrote:

I supposes we could just have storage boxes on the ground instead of on walls -- takes up the same amount of room, uses less resources, still blocks passage.

Boxes dont insulate. Plus boxes take ropes. Which I think most would agree is harder to mass produce than stone, adobe, pine, or plaster. Issue i see with the current building mechanics is how restrictive they are. Insulated spaces are too small to do any real work in. Large builds are really just for looks and waste valuable tiles. City walls are no longer essential and serve as more of a detriment than a benefit. Building in an active town is chaos and beyond annoying.

Board footer