One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-22 04:34:51

Spoonwood

Buildings Are Ornamental But Not Useful

6x6 is the maximum floor space for every tile heated.  7x7 is likely too small to cook in a kitchen efficiently, especially if the server was full of players and families averaged like 30 people in them.  Walls take up space.  And buildings and their floors take so long to get up, taking time and resources away from other projects.  A nursery has a fire, so it doesn't help to have it inside for heating purposes.  Sledges can hold clothing items *and* can get traversed unlike walls.

If you want to make buildings for purely decorative purposes, alright.  But, if you make buildings thinking that they help with efficiency or survival purposes, you might have drunk the kool-aid.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-12-22 04:45:40

Eve Troll

Re: Buildings Are Ornamental But Not Useful

This is true. But just like real life, some of the most cherished things are often the most impractical. Whats practical about painting, sculpture, jewelry, music, games, film, etc. Yet they are what gives life character and beauty.

Last edited by Eve Troll (2020-12-22 21:36:59)

#3 2020-12-22 06:14:06

Spoonwood

Eve Troll wrote:

This is true. Buts just like real life, some of the most cherished things are often the most impractical. Whats practical about painting, sculpture, jewelry, music, games, film, etc. Yet they are what gives life character and beauty.

Yea, that's a fair thing to say.  That said, I do detest having to run around walls though, which makes one consider whether buildings are beautiful or not.  Doors also.  Non-springy doors I don't find enjoyable.

Danish Clinch.

#4 2020-12-22 11:57:20

Kinrany

Eve Troll wrote:

This is true. Buts just like real life, some of the most cherished things are often the most impractical. Whats practical about painting, sculpture, jewelry, music, games, film, etc. Yet they are what gives life character and beauty.

Most of these are entertainment and/or education, so they're useful and practical

#5 2020-12-22 12:07:18

NoTruePunk

7x7 is fine. What's wrong with 7x7?

#6 2020-12-22 12:39:52

WumboJumbo

Spoonwood wrote:

6x6 is the maximum floor space for every tile heated.  7x7 is likely too small to cook in a kitchen efficiently, especially if the server was full of players and families averaged like 30 people in them.  Walls take up space.  And buildings and their floors take so long to get up, taking time and resources away from other projects.  A nursery has a fire, so it doesn't help to have it inside for heating purposes.  Sledges can hold clothing items *and* can get traversed unlike walls.

If you want to make buildings for purely decorative purposes, alright.  But, if you make buildings thinking that they help with efficiency or survival purposes, you might have drunk the kool-aid.

What do you mean? Who doesn't like building a church and creating a satanic religion? Definitely practical for WBsteve. smile

#7 2020-12-22 13:53:08

Spoonwood

WumboJumbo wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

What do you mean? Who doesn't like building a church and creating a satanic religion? Definitely practical for WBsteve. smile

WBSteve often deliberately dies early.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2020-12-22 13:54:09

Spoonwood

NoTruePunk wrote:

I got asked a question by probs on Twitch last night, which I'll ask you also.  Have you tried to cook in a 7x7 kitchen during a sale?

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-12-22 18:22:57

WumboJumbo

Spoonwood wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Really? In his videos, it always seems like he either gets murdered by another player/animal or he ends the video without him dying.

#10 2020-12-22 19:50:54

Spoonwood

WumboJumbo wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:

Really? In his videos, it always seems like he either gets murdered by another player/animal or he ends the video without him dying.

I could be wrong, but him getting murdered I would guess deliberate on his part.  Or if it's not deliberate, I believe *if* he deliberated on whether he wanted to get murdered or not at the end of his videos, he would pick to get murdered.  It often has worked to good effect in his previous videos that he got murdered.  One example I recall is him wearing a turkey hat and getting murdered out in the woods by someone and starves early deliberately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESqBUBhzqKg  In a more recent one he says that he ran into a bear to protect his people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P99S3RSQO4&t=607s  His words, not mine (though it's not a quote).

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-22 19:51:30)

Danish Clinch.

#11 2020-12-22 22:15:39

Eve Troll

Whats useful about entertainment? Entertainment is great dont get me wrong, but entertainment has nothing to do with survival. Beside maybe aiding in maintaining sanity.

#12 2020-12-23 02:40:31

NoTruePunk

Spoonwood wrote:
NoTruePunk wrote:

I got asked a question by probs on Twitch last night, which I'll ask you also.  Have you tried to cook in a 7x7 kitchen during a sale?

There's nothing wrong with 7x7. It's plenty of space to work. The heat it provides is plenty to keep you between 40-55% temp as long as you're inside. There's hardly any food decriment difference between values in that range. It provides storage and a cohesive and generationally durable organizational structure to the village.

#13 2020-12-23 03:32:28

WumboJumbo

Spoonwood wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

I could be wrong, but him getting murdered I would guess deliberate on his part.  Or if it's not deliberate, I believe *if* he deliberated on whether he wanted to get murdered or not at the end of his videos, he would pick to get murdered.  It often has worked to good effect in his previous videos that he got murdered.  One example I recall is him wearing a turkey hat and getting murdered out in the woods by someone and starves early deliberately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESqBUBhzqKg  In a more recent one he says that he ran into a bear to protect his people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P99S3RSQO4&t=607s  His words, not mine (though it's not a quote).

Well, whatever then. I don't know anymore.

#14 2020-12-23 03:33:29

WumboJumbo

Eve Troll wrote:

Whats useful about entertainment? Entertainment is great dont get me wrong, but entertainment has nothing to do with survival. Beside maybe aiding in maintaining sanity.

Well, it is a game, sooo... big_smile

#15 2020-12-23 04:55:46

Eve Troll

WumboJumbo wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:

Whats your point? Im getting tired of people using this statement like it actually has any weight in discussions.

My response was to kinrany who said entertainment is useful and practical. Sure its fun, and it IS a game, but the point of this thread was to talk about whats efficient and whats not surrounding building. Entertainment isnt efficient or even an asset in terms of survival. Its often wasteful and distracting, used to get you killed a lot in game. Though personally i think it adds some much needed character.

#16 2020-12-23 06:45:22

PeaGirl

Never found buildings as a nuisance for survival. It is rather contrary. Looking at how much different the survival system has become, giving us more leeway for keeping ourselves busy in other things than figuring out what to eat (and quick). The yum used to be something very few took advantage of, but it has become an important norm.
Buildings also help protecting (or in some backward cases, secures) mammal foes within walls. If springy doors aren't in place, it shouldn't be much of a problem to make them.
Let's also not forget that the buildings are very foundation for the ever fleeting culture that players leave behind, each unique although letting off similar themes with farm formulas and kitchen formations.
Whoever doesn't like buildings, in my best wishes, can stay outside if they don't like it. smile

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#17 2020-12-23 12:29:27

WumboJumbo

Eve Troll wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:

Whats your point? Im getting tired of people using this statement like it actually has any weight in discussions.

My response was to kinrany who said entertainment is useful and practical. Sure its fun, and it IS a game, but the point of this thread was to talk about whats efficient and whats not surrounding building. Entertainment isnt efficient or even an asset in terms of survival. Its often wasteful and distracting, used to get you killed a lot in game. Though personally i think it adds some much needed character.

My point was that some people are way too serious about this game.

#18 2020-12-23 15:50:40

Morti

WumboJumbo wrote:

some people are way too serious about this game.

Wumbo, it's because the game isn't just a game - static and isolated from everything else in the world. It is connected to some of the most important aspects of humanity; caring for your family, sacrificing your own life for a cart of carrots that might keep your brothers and sisters alive for another year or risking your own life, going toe-to-toe with wolves, snakes and boars, just to reduce the chance that one of your children gets killed by one accidentally. Human beings, throughout time, have made sacrifices so that we might live in this, more peaceful present, and they always will. Take the protesters, rioters and, dare I say, revolutionaries, in the United States today. The people of BLM, Antifa, and the ones pushing for police reform. Say what you want about their choice of tactics, but obviously they feel strongly enough about their situation and the need for things to improve, that they are out there, flooding the streets of major metropolitan areas, year after year, standing ground with the police and military units, demanding they return to their homes and just pretend things are okay. But things are not okay, and they never will be.

Humanity is driven by the desire to make things better. Every new child that comes into the world is eventually tasked with solving the problems of the past, so they do not carry on being problems for the future. At some point in each person's life, they have to ask themselves questions like "What can I fix, before I die?"  "Which problems are too much for me to tackle alone?" and "Who can I band together with to make a difference?"

The games we make and the stories we write, are inspired, by real world examples. Those stories we write then go on to shape the attitudes of future people, in future scenarios, in the real world. There never were demons or angels, only humans. There never were Zerg or Protoss, only Terrans. And there never was a Horde of Orcs, only humans, allied or not. There are Germans, Japanese, Russians, Chinese, Americans and Brits, and our leaders could be seen as Marios or Bowsers, Pacmen or Ghosts, all depending on which borders we are born in, or which ideals we are taught to foster or discourage; whichever variables combine in us to see people as, Others, Us, or Them in the never-ending story that is life on Earth, in the state we experience it while we are alive.

The beauty of One Hour One Life is it's absence of borders... it was.
It was the return to that state that existed before we cared if you were red or blue, white or black.
It was, the ideal scenario we strive for, when we send millions of men to kill millions of other men, on the battlefields.
And here Jason, over the course of the last 4 years, has been adding more and more problems, that humanity has solved, but doing so in reverse. He is not solving problems, he is adding them, by encouraging people to war in a game with no war, by drawing borders where people had none, and by segregating people who were homogeneous.

WE didn't do that to each other, he did.

We, were happy working together to fight against nature, against hunger, against the cold and the heat, and against wildlife that was distinctly not us and that if encountered, would bring about our demise. We were, working together as one, and rather than give us larger, unhuman, challenges to overcome, he instead copped out of the greatest challenge and took the easy road of pitting people against one another, for shear lack of foresight on his part.

Now, he has made, yet another bad example of an opportunity that human beings had to inspire each other to work together, by pushing this game towards the space that near EVERY OTHER GAME EVER has gone; to the US vs THEM, rather than explore the US vs IT, which is the ultimate struggle of LIFE vs The Inanimate, The growth of life vs That which would keep us from growing.
Biology vs EVERY PHYSICAL ASPECT OF THE UNIVERSE WHICH IS KEEPING US FROM BRINGING IT TO LIFE.

He is desperate, for an audience, and he is surrendering an opportunity to make a beautiful thing more beautiful, by making it uglier and uglier, to itself. Adding segregation where once there was none. Dividing people, once united under a common goal; Let's not die!

He had the opportunity here to tell the right kind of story, the kind of story people needed to hear; one of a love of life and each other and he is twisting it into that same boring trope that is all too common in the video game industry, of good guys and bad guys, perpetuating the shit he once looked down upon in this industry.

When I played this game for 20 hours some days, 10 hours on average for months, I did so because it was so good that I was willing to give my life to this idea; that we are beautiful. That life and the human race that has sprung from it, is a beautiful thing that has the power to insulate itself from the entropy of this expanding universe, if only we can grow, outward, into the darkness, to each world of this system and each star of this galaxy, so that we might create a heart of life back here at home that is protected by layers and layers of safeguards against anything that might end our existence prematurely. Before we might be made aware of just how much potential life is capable of in this universe. That means Us vs The Environment; Us vs The Physics of the Universe, holding us back.

And rather than provide us with greater and greater environmental challenges, Jason has opted to pit us against each other instead. When we were already a bonded unit. We started off as something strong; a super organism, and Jason goes and divides us, aids us in thinking less of ourselves and each other, of our children and our mothers and of everyone else in the world.
He has made things worse, in worse ways, not worse in better ways.

At this point, going through the history of the updates over the last 4 years, in reverse, would make the game better and better. This is an important aspect of this game's history, for you to understand. As the reason so many of us came here and gave our time to this game was because it was NOT other games, it was something unique. If I wanted to play Ultima Online for the last 20 years, I still would be, but I'm not, because I realized how that game was shit. Same with Warcraft, Starcraft, Age of Empires, Civilization, World of Warcraft and every other game that failed to give me and every other human being the lesson we and our children need most. That life has been transforming the universe into itself for billions of years and that that, is the ultimate goal, that is the ultimate challenge, and we should not shy away from it.

For years, something has been missing from this idea in my head, this idea that has come from all the games I have played and all the things I have learned, combined. It wasn't until I played this game that I realized what that really was, in only the manner that I have been conditioned to receive lessons; via games. That message, was one of love and respect, for those who came before us and worked their asses to death trying to transform the world into a condition more favorable for each of us to exist in, at this point, so we could afford to go on doing the same. Love, for those of us fighting to stay alive while caring for those living with us, and respect, for the example that those who came before us set in motion while maintaining the momentum that those before them, built up.

So when you say people take this game too seriously, that sounds to me like you would say to J.R.R. Tolkien 80 years ago "You're taking this Middle Earth thing too seriously." "Christians, you're taking this Jesus character too seriously." "1930's Germany, you're taking the words of Hitler too seriously." When people take something seriously, it helps to make it something great, something memorable, something influential, to POTENTIALLY EVERYTHING that human beings think and do, in the future.

If you don't take it seriously, it will be forgotten.
If you are not serious, you will be forgotten.

And everything that is taken more seriously, will live on to influence the state of the world that all newborn life finds itself in, for the rest of time.

--

All you have to do is decide what is most important to you, and then, either make it better, or don't make it worse.

If you don't take something seriously, then you are wasting your time, our time, and the rest of the planet's resources keeping you alive. What good are we to life's future, if we don't care to make it better? You want people to be more subtle about the things they are most passionate about? I want you to be more honest, more vocal, about the things you do care about. And fuck anyone that tells you you take your passions too seriously. They're just crocodiles in a game of Pitfall, and this is your vine.

#19 2020-12-23 18:06:56

Spoonwood

PeaGirl wrote:

Never found buildings as a nuisance for survival. It is rather contrary.

I'm not talking about your own personal survival.  I'm referring to the survival of players in general, especially players who haven't played a dozen hours.  Even semi-experienced players have trouble finding food sometimes, as I can tell from playing via Eve runs and checking my families genetic score. 

Today, I walked to Eve Royal's camp as a Picard just now.  Town didn't have an axe.  Someone takes the adobe for charcoal firing and makes a partial adobe wall.

The *partial* adobe wall was like 2 or 3 tiles below the kiln and near the spring or well.

Buildings, even semi-completed ones are even worse survival wise with more players around, especially were you playing with maximum server population, since they can and do get in the way of making tools, making food, and the walls take up space.  They also take a lot of time away from doing other things.  People repeatedly do not finish buildings in a life, or they are too small to have use for heat (except a 1x1 or small afk pod, if you want to count those).  There's much more useful resource acquisition, cooking of food, making clothing, elimination of hostile threats, and making tools that can get done.  But, will it?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-12-23 18:11:06)

Danish Clinch.

#20 2020-12-23 21:30:47

Eve Troll

WumboJumbo wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:

I wasnt even really talking about the game. I was talking about life in reference to the game. If you have something to add to my point or if you disagree have at it. Otherwise dont attempt to shut people down with weak statements like "its a game". Not sure why the fact that ohol is a game should discount people who take it seriously. A lot of people take games seriously. Just because this isnt a popular game like chess, football, poker, lol, or etc doesnt discount people who take it seriously. People have a right to feel strongly about whatever they want. This forum is full of strong opinions. Dont presume you have any power over them. Maybe try expressing your own, instead of attempting to quiet others.

#21 2020-12-23 21:36:22

StrongForce

This game is a german's dream.
Gotta wörk wörk wörk. Wörk has to be efficient.

Dont keep the germans from their efficiency we all know hot that goes.

Baby dance!!

#22 2020-12-23 23:37:42

QuirkySmirkyIan

NoTruePunk wrote:

too small for mass production

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#23 2020-12-24 00:51:16

WumboJumbo

Morti wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:

some people are way too serious about this game.

Wumbo, it's because the game isn't just a game - static and isolated from everything else in the world. It is connected to some of the most important aspects of humanity; caring for your family, sacrificing your own life for a cart of carrots that might keep your brothers and sisters alive for another year or risking your own life, going toe-to-toe with wolves, snakes and boars, just to reduce the chance that one of your children gets killed by one accidentally. Human beings, throughout time, have made sacrifices so that we might live in this, more peaceful present, and they always will. Take the protesters, rioters and, dare I say, revolutionaries, in the United States today. The people of BLM, Antifa, and the ones pushing for police reform. Say what you want about their choice of tactics, but obviously they feel strongly enough about their situation and the need for things to improve, that they are out there, flooding the streets of major metropolitan areas, year after year, standing ground with the police and military units, demanding they return to their homes and just pretend things are okay. But things are not okay, and they never will be.

Humanity is driven by the desire to make things better. Every new child that comes into the world is eventually tasked with solving the problems of the past, so they do not carry on being problems for the future. At some point in each person's life, they have to ask themselves questions like "What can I fix, before I die?"  "Which problems are too much for me to tackle alone?" and "Who can I band together with to make a difference?"

The games we make and the stories we write, are inspired, by real world examples. Those stories we write then go on to shape the attitudes of future people, in future scenarios, in the real world. There never were demons or angels, only humans. There never were Zerg or Protoss, only Terrans. And there never was a Horde of Orcs, only humans, allied or not. There are Germans, Japanese, Russians, Chinese, Americans and Brits, and our leaders could be seen as Marios or Bowsers, Pacmen or Ghosts, all depending on which borders we are born in, or which ideals we are taught to foster or discourage; whichever variables combine in us to see people as, Others, Us, or Them in the never-ending story that is life on Earth, in the state we experience it while we are alive.

The beauty of One Hour One Life is it's absence of borders... it was.
It was the return to that state that existed before we cared if you were red or blue, white or black.
It was, the ideal scenario we strive for, when we send millions of men to kill millions of other men, on the battlefields.
And here Jason, over the course of the last 4 years, has been adding more and more problems, that humanity has solved, but doing so in reverse. He is not solving problems, he is adding them, by encouraging people to war in a game with no war, by drawing borders where people had none, and by segregating people who were homogeneous.

WE didn't do that to each other, he did.

We, were happy working together to fight against nature, against hunger, against the cold and the heat, and against wildlife that was distinctly not us and that if encountered, would bring about our demise. We were, working together as one, and rather than give us larger, unhuman, challenges to overcome, he instead copped out of the greatest challenge and took the easy road of pitting people against one another, for shear lack of foresight on his part.

Now, he has made, yet another bad example of an opportunity that human beings had to inspire each other to work together, by pushing this game towards the space that near EVERY OTHER GAME EVER has gone; to the US vs THEM, rather than explore the US vs IT, which is the ultimate struggle of LIFE vs The Inanimate, The growth of life vs That which would keep us from growing.
Biology vs EVERY PHYSICAL ASPECT OF THE UNIVERSE WHICH IS KEEPING US FROM BRINGING IT TO LIFE.

He is desperate, for an audience, and he is surrendering an opportunity to make a beautiful thing more beautiful, by making it uglier and uglier, to itself. Adding segregation where once there was none. Dividing people, once united under a common goal; Let's not die!

He had the opportunity here to tell the right kind of story, the kind of story people needed to hear; one of a love of life and each other and he is twisting it into that same boring trope that is all too common in the video game industry, of good guys and bad guys, perpetuating the shit he once looked down upon in this industry.

When I played this game for 20 hours some days, 10 hours on average for months, I did so because it was so good that I was willing to give my life to this idea; that we are beautiful. That life and the human race that has sprung from it, is a beautiful thing that has the power to insulate itself from the entropy of this expanding universe, if only we can grow, outward, into the darkness, to each world of this system and each star of this galaxy, so that we might create a heart of life back here at home that is protected by layers and layers of safeguards against anything that might end our existence prematurely. Before we might be made aware of just how much potential life is capable of in this universe. That means Us vs The Environment; Us vs The Physics of the Universe, holding us back.

And rather than provide us with greater and greater environmental challenges, Jason has opted to pit us against each other instead. When we were already a bonded unit. We started off as something strong; a super organism, and Jason goes and divides us, aids us in thinking less of ourselves and each other, of our children and our mothers and of everyone else in the world.
He has made things worse, in worse ways, not worse in better ways.

At this point, going through the history of the updates over the last 4 years, in reverse, would make the game better and better. This is an important aspect of this game's history, for you to understand. As the reason so many of us came here and gave our time to this game was because it was NOT other games, it was something unique. If I wanted to play Ultima Online for the last 20 years, I still would be, but I'm not, because I realized how that game was shit. Same with Warcraft, Starcraft, Age of Empires, Civilization, World of Warcraft and every other game that failed to give me and every other human being the lesson we and our children need most. That life has been transforming the universe into itself for billions of years and that that, is the ultimate goal, that is the ultimate challenge, and we should not shy away from it.

For years, something has been missing from this idea in my head, this idea that has come from all the games I have played and all the things I have learned, combined. It wasn't until I played this game that I realized what that really was, in only the manner that I have been conditioned to receive lessons; via games. That message, was one of love and respect, for those who came before us and worked their asses to death trying to transform the world into a condition more favorable for each of us to exist in, at this point, so we could afford to go on doing the same. Love, for those of us fighting to stay alive while caring for those living with us, and respect, for the example that those who came before us set in motion while maintaining the momentum that those before them, built up.

So when you say people take this game too seriously, that sounds to me like you would say to J.R.R. Tolkien 80 years ago "You're taking this Middle Earth thing too seriously." "Christians, you're taking this Jesus character too seriously." "1930's Germany, you're taking the words of Hitler too seriously." When people take something seriously, it helps to make it something great, something memorable, something influential, to POTENTIALLY EVERYTHING that human beings think and do, in the future.

If you don't take it seriously, it will be forgotten.
If you are not serious, you will be forgotten.

And everything that is taken more seriously, will live on to influence the state of the world that all newborn life finds itself in, for the rest of time.

--

All you have to do is decide what is most important to you, and then, either make it better, or don't make it worse.

If you don't take something seriously, then you are wasting your time, our time, and the rest of the planet's resources keeping you alive. What good are we to life's future, if we don't care to make it better? You want people to be more subtle about the things they are most passionate about? I want you to be more honest, more vocal, about the things you do care about. And fuck anyone that tells you you take your passions too seriously. They're just crocodiles in a game of Pitfall, and this is your vine.

Woah Morti. Okay, you win. tongue

#24 2020-12-24 00:52:17

WumboJumbo

Eve Troll wrote:
WumboJumbo wrote:
Eve Troll wrote:

I wasnt even really talking about the game. I was talking about life in reference to the game. If you have something to add to my point or if you disagree have at it. Otherwise dont attempt to shut people down with weak statements like "its a game". Not sure why the fact that ohol is a game should discount people who take it seriously. A lot of people take games seriously. Just because this isnt a popular game like chess, football, poker, lol, or etc doesnt discount people who take it seriously. People have a right to feel strongly about whatever they want. This forum is full of strong opinions. Dont presume you have any power over them. Maybe try expressing your own, instead of attempting to quiet others.

Okay, okay, sheesh. I will just step away now...

#25 2020-12-25 23:57:56

Kinrany

My point was that IRL entertainment is not an exception: everything people do, they do for a reason. So I disagree that rooms don't need to be practical.

Board footer